Chapter 15: Social interaction
307 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Chapter 15: Social interaction]

As I walk upstream everything seems intensified somehow. The sun burns hotter and my knees feel sorer. My nerves are really doing a number on me. Maybe they’re telling me to turn… No, I can’t stop now.

I need new information to grow. And the only way to get that information is to go out there. All I have to do is talk to people. After all it’s only been what, months since I’ve seen another human being.

Bantering with myself helps take the edge off as I walk. I shouldn’t be this nervous but that doesn’t appear to have stopped me. I mean I have never been a social person but I think the isolation has done something to me. Yet strangely enough, I don’t hate the thought of never seeing another human.

As I continue upstream I finally see the ending of the trees far off in the distance. It took around half a day to get here and that’s with my 4 agi. With every step the turning point draws closer. But I have gone too far to be a coward now.

Reaching the forest’s end I can’t see any human settlements. This is surprising as villages typically are built by water sources. Not giving up just yet I turn to my left and walk along the edge of the forest. If I don’t find one soon I can just return and figure out some other way to become strong.

However that doesn’t end up being a problem as after a decent walk I see smoke far in the distance. Getting closer I see a small village, around a dozen buildings in total. Now all excuses to turn back are gone. I must try to find what I need here.

Waiting inside the forest I prepare my overall plan. Since I don’t know how these people feel about otherworlders going out without a plan would be stupid. I need some explanation as to why I am wearing raggedy clothes with no real possessions coming from the monster infested forest. Well the days dying fast so I better hurry. After far too much time I decide to go with something simple yet hard to disprove, a humble traveler who got lost in the forest. The best part is that it’s mostly true.

Now I just need to go in there and not mess it up. One foot in front of the other. You can do it. If you’re lucky you never have to come here again.

As I enter the village there are luckily very few people out. However, all of the two people out look at me with a piercing gaze. Stay calm, nothing about you specifically, just them looking at someone they’ve never seen before.

Looking around I spot a sign from a larger two-story building. As I turn to it and the word ‘Inn’ is superimposed on it. Entering that building a middle aged man is at the counter.

“Hello there young man are you here for a room?” the man politely asks.

“Um, well I don’t have money for the room bit I brought some medical herbs from the forest. Would you let me stay here for these?” I sheepishly stammer as I take out the herbs in my pack.

“Well I don’t usually take barter but you look like you’ve been through a lot so I’ll cut you some slack. The man says while rummaged for something under the desk. Here’s your key young man, the room is up the stairs.” As he gives the key and takes my herbs.

“Thank you very much.” I reply as respectfully as I can. “I don’t need anything other than the room, I wouldn’t want to take advantage. I’m just going to head up now, long day and I’m tired”

“Okay then, have a good-night young man.” The man says with a hint of concern.

“I will, thank you again.” As I head up to my room.

Having found my room easily I sit on the simple bed. Not in the mood for contemplation I quickly ate my packed fruit and laid down in the bed. Wow I missed these, when I go back I need to make a bed. Not first priority, but definitely up there.

The morning came before I knew it. After quickly making myself as presentable as possible I walk downstairs. The man at the counter is must have gotten up before me because there he is same place as yesterday.

“I hope you slept well.” He says earnestly.

“Yes, thank you.” As I walk out before any further conversation can be had.

Well first I need to figure out how to get food. Then there’s having to find books and after that how to acquire and or study said books. But before I can figure out any of this I notice something. Out in the distance on the dirt road that I assume leads to other human settlements is people it’s a group of people.

I get a bad feeling as I assess this group. The man in the lead is blond, tall, and in full plate. Not a reason to concern by itself, but that combined with the entourage gives me pause. All six other members of this group are young women. As shocked as I am that it’s happening already I manage to calm myself and look natural. Beelineing straight towards me the leader immediately starts talking.

“Hey there, you a local?” says the unwitting source of my dread.

Oh no, I’m screwed.

New arc everonve, hope you enjoy.

If you see any problems please tell me.

4