Legal Matters
237 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ugh, I feel like I've been laying down for ages. Everything hurts, and it's pins and needles all over. 

"Hey! She's finally up!"

Huh, who was that? And where am I? My vision hasn't exactly focused in yet. Everything feels heavy. 

"She might be up, but she's still out of it. Hey, do you know where you are?"

"No, where am I?"

"You are at a clinic, you were taken here after passing out fighting that monster at the front gates. You've been out for the last couple of days."

So I've been unconscious for days now? That is so much wasted time! That long doing nothing cannot be good for my body at all, I'm gonna need to get some exercise once I get out of here.

"We know that you are still recovering, but some of the guards will come in for questioning, are you okay with that?"

"Yeah sure, whatever."

The guards from the front gate that day come in and start asking me some questions. Just some simple stuff like, "What is your name" and "What is your occupation" and stuff. 

"So you are 17 years old, an Adventurer, and your name is Carrots, right?"

"Yeah." I still hate that name. With a passion.

"Do you mind touching this tablet for me, we need to check something."

I reach out and touch the tablet. After that, they thank me for my time and leave.


Okay, she doesn't know what an Identification tablet is so she wasn't careful when she touched it. Now we can see if she was hiding anything from us...

Name:  Carrots Violetwind
Species: Bunny-folk
Gender: Female
Class: Rogue
Aura Type: Body Enhancement
Age: 17
Level: 6
HP: 111/125
STR: 13 (+1)
SPD: 22
DEX: 22 (+3)
CON: 5
INT: 5
SP: 20
MP: 10
Skills: [Backstab], [Quickstep], [Throwing Knife], [Jumping], [Tracking], [Discerning Eye level 1]
Gear: [Commoner Clothing ](+3 DEX), [Okay Dagger](+3 STR)
Money: 355G
Points: 5
Achievements: [Bandit Slayer](+2 STR), [Founder]

A last name? Body Enhancement Aura? Is she from a fallen noble family, because she doesn't act like any noble I know! Also, I've never heard of Body Enhancement Aura before. Is it exclusive to her family, or just rare? There is also her achievements, [Founder] is the most concerning. [Bandit Slayer] is common in adventurers with how much they deal with bandits and the such, but [Founder] isn't common.

To get the [Founder] achievement, you need to make a large achievement for God's Blessing to grant you a last name, thus founding a new family. Normally those blessed with a last name will become nobles and be granted a fief, but I've never even heard of this girl.

Maybe this has to do with her Aura type? I mean I've never seen it before, so maybe she is the first one to have it? I'll send this information to the town leader and see what he says. Normally people with this achievement are dealt with in the royal capital, not some city in the middle of nowhere.

Well, it's not my job to deal with this, so I'll just leave this mess to the higher-ups. 


I totally know what that identification tablet was. He seems to think that I didn't, but I saw a fair few of them in ESO. The reason I accepted touching it anyway? Better to get this out of the way now. 

If I tried to hide the fact that I have the [Founder] achievement and a last name, it would only be revealed later on, possibly at a worse time. The best thing I can do is get this information processed right away and not have to deal with the struggles that it brings later...

Okay, but really it's because if I refused to use the identification tablet I'm worried they'd get suspicious of me and it would lead to hostilities later. The last thing I want to do is make enemies with the government.

No matter which way you reason it, right now my best option is to not hide anything. If I hide this information, it will just come back to bite me later.

"Okay, Ms. Carrots if you can walk, please follow me, we will be bringing you to talk with the Mayor."

"Got it..."

I don't think I would normally be able to stand yet, but I can just use Aura to strengthen myself enough to walk. It will be good practice anyway. Good for me, probably not? Do I care? Probably not.

Walking all the way through this city is a breath of fresh air, there are so many people, so many shops, so much food. It's so nice, especially that last thing.

"You can eat later! We don't want to leave the Mayor waiting!"

"Juhst whun mohr sehchond!" (Just one more second!)

Okay, granted talking with food in my mouth is probably not a good idea, or proper for that matter, but do I care? No. The food stalls have such good food! They already have popcorn somehow! 

Well, I guess I'll eat later, I need to go see the mayor of this town. 

You know, this may be a republic, but it still has nobles. It is kind of funny. I mean, the nobles are more in name only and don't have nearly as much power as those in other countries, but still, they do exist.

The only things that nobles can do here is determine taxes, and occasionally overturn laws that appear in their land. Of course, many of them are strong in magic or Aura, so they are also military power in a way. Still, most of the time they leave these responsibilities to the people. They get some of the tax money either way and make good money.

Nonetheless, people still want to become nobles in this country because of the prestige it brings. Even though being a noble doesn't bring a lot of power, it does bring a more comfortable life, better education, and prestige that no other occupation can.

The only people with significant political power are mayors in their towns or cities, the President, the Senate, and the Court. The government has similar "checks and balances" to the United States government, the senate creates laws, the president vetoes them, and the court interprets them, and if necessary, will annul the law entirely.

Of course, the only difference is that there is no house of representatives, and the court doesn't have the word supreme in it. Why? I don't know, maybe they wanted to make it hard to tell the difference between local and federal government? Just kidding, the criminal system isn't that developed yet. If you are a suspected criminal, you are thrown in jail. Of course, there are trials, but with magic that can tell if you are lying with 100% accuracy, there isn't much of a need for a "fair trial". You can just ask if they did it, and you will get the answer. If they don't respond? That is practically screaming guilty.

Anyway, back to the whole mayor thing, I am finally in his office.

"What do you want from me sir?"

"How do you have the [Founder] achievement? Where are you from?"

"Wow, right to the questions. Well, I was teleported here from another country by accident with no way back (technically not a lie), and I got the [Founder] achievement the other day when I awoke my Aura."

"You aren't hiding anything?"

"You have a Monitor here, don't you? I couldn't hide anything if I wanted to."

You see, there is lie detection magic using a derivative of Wind magic, but there is another magic that is very rare to know. Also known as the Forceful Truth, Truth magic is extremely dangerous in the wrong hands. It forces the victim to tell the truth to any question asked, even if they don't want to answer.

Because of its inherent risk, the Republic normally sweeps up anyone who has a talent for this form of magic and raises them to be Monitors. Monitors are basically sent out to interrogate people who the government feels may be hiding something.

"Yes, there is. I'm sure you know of the Forceful Truth?"

"Yep, anyway, I have no way back to my country. I became an Adventurer to get stronger as well as to have a form of identification. It would suck if I couldn't get into any towns."

"Where is your country?"

"It is very far west."

"Across the ocean?"

"You could say that. That is why I decided to live here for now."

"Well, normally people who gain the achievement [Founder] in our country gain a noble role based off of how great their achievement is, however as you are technically not yet a legal citizen of our country, I'm sure you understand that that cannot be done as of yet."

"Of course, honestly I don't think that I could handle such a stuck-up... I mean such a posh life anyway. By the way, could you help with that? I do want legal citizenship after all."

"Of course ma'am, that is the least I can do for someone who helped protect this city."

I probably would have rejected him even if he said I could gain a noble title anyway. I want to live a simple life, and while a noble in a country where that is just a title may seem like a good option to do that, there are also the potential risks, as well as having the responsibilities of a noble. 

While nobles don't have much power, they are still the figurehead of their land. The prosperity of the noble almost always relates to the prosperity of the land. Attending public ceremonies, meeting other nobles, sucking up to officials, etc. Let's just say it's not a life I want to live.


"So, Mrs. Carrots, we got your legal identification here, make sure not to lose it, because it can be expensive to replace."

"Yes. Thank you."

A week later and I finally have legal identification. Sure, an Adventurers Guild identification can get you into and out of town, but there are limitations. In order to do some things, you just need actual identification. It's like the difference between a work visa and citizenship.

"Hey Leo."

"Oh, it's you."

"Don't 'oh, it's you' me! So Mr. Pass-out-in-dangerous-situation, how are you doing?"

Hah, his face is red; he looks like a tomato!

"Look, you see, I just..."

"No no no. I get it, that monster was scary, it looked so gross, I guess you just couldn't take it. pfft~"

"Whatever."

On the bright side, he's seeming less pessimistic lately. We definitely need to get more people in our party though. This place is more dangerous than the last. It was generally meant for level 6-10 players in the game. Also, we can level up faster with more people, and take on more rewarding quests.

The best teammate we could get right now would probably be either a healer so that we can recover quicker, or a ranged dps. A tank would be nice too, especially one with an aggro skill.

I mean we already have a swordsman and a rogue, so I think we have close-range dps covered.

Well, I can worry about our party layout later.

"So Leo, when will you fully recover? I wanna go out and fight things! Cmon!"

For some reason, I'm feeling more energetic lately... could it be related to the bunny thing? I mean I am feeling a weird craving for carrots...

"You're one to say things, didn't you get extremely injured fighting that monkey thing?"

"None of those injuries were from the monkey... luckily. Otherwise, I would have to get purified at the temple so I wouldn't turn into a zombie. Most of that was from carrying you and running away from the monkey. I didn't have time to move branches and stuff out of the way and got all scratched up. I also suffered from extreme exhaustion... but I'm fine now and I wanna do stuff! I've been stuck indoors for a week!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever. We will go out tomorrow, we need to make some money anyway."

"Yeah!"

Now that I think about it, what did Leo do that made it take so long for him to recover? I did all the fighting, and I recovered a lot faster than he did.

 

 

13