chapter 1
136 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What would it take for you to look at me? It was a question that Yui seemed to ask herself a lot. It was a question that haunted her like a ghost, a specter that hung over her life. Yui didn't want the spotlight, or to be the center of attention. She didn't really care if she was just part of the background in other people's lives. If she ever did have everyone's eyes on her, she would probably just run. Even her introduction to the class was enough to fill her with dread. And she had yet to even make a friend in high school. She was quiet and moved like a mouse when there was a cat in the room like she hoped no one would see her, like no one would see her azure blue eyes that held oceans in them and golden blonde hair that looked like a sunrise. And most of the time, no one did. She was one of the shortest people in her class and hers navy blue blazer was the smallest size the school had, but it still was a little big on her. She had to go to a few shops to get the pleated dark green plaid skirt and black socks that came up to just below her knees that were in her size.

The warm light of the lazy sunset bathed the school's hallway in a cozy orange glow. The tall, lime green lockers flanked each side of the hallway, with rows being broken up by the sliding wooden doors and windows of classrooms. Yui's eyes looked down at her own feet as she walked the green and white checkerboard floor tile that had a few black scuff marks here and there. She amused herself by playing with the red bow tie ribbon of her uniform that she had untied and was wrapping around her fingers. You could see a kind of quiet and subtle sadness in her eyes and in the way she moved. Something that you might miss if you're not looking for it. A sadness that tears couldn't wash away. A sadness that settles in your mind, and she carried it in those deep brilliant blue eyes. The eyes that would light up a room if that sadness wasn't there.

She looked out the window of her school, she could see a few birds flying in the orange and red hue of the sunset sky. To Yui, it looked like they were dancing. She wanted to know what it felt like to be so free, and to feel the wind through her hair. She wanted to see what it felt like to jump and fly, and to not have anything that would hold her down. She turned back to look at the hallway and her feet with a long sigh as her shoulders drooped. She climbed the steps to the next floor. Each step seemed to get heavier and slower for her; she looked like she was climbing a mountain in a snowstorm. Her movement was slow. Yui didn't talk much and spent a lot of time in her own head. You could tell that she was deep in thought over something, more than she was most of the time.

She walked the halls of the top floor of her school - slow and defeated. The ribbon now tangled in her fingers so much that she could hardly move them, she felt like her fingers would never get free again. That was when she heard a voice from behind her.

"What are you doing?"

It was a soft and welcoming voice, even if she sounded a little monotone. Yui's shoulder stiffed as she stopped walking. She looked like a child caught in the act of being out past bedtime. Yui slowly turned around to see who it was, but she knew it was Aimi, the school president and a second year student. Yui knew her voice only from the school's welcoming ceremony. A lot of people said that her voice sounded flat, like she was a robot, but Yui thought her voice sounded cool. It had a calming effect on her, It was a song in her ears - each word a note. A part of her was happy to get to hear it again. Hearing her voice, she was able to untie the ribbon around her fingers. It was like Aimi's voice had power over it.

Yui turned to face her; she could only shoot a glance at her before her eyes looked at her hands that held the bright red ribbon tightly. Her face turned a bright, cherry red in response as embarrassment washed over her. Aimi was walking towards Yui, her face serene as ever. Aimi was the type of person who could keep a calm composure in any situation, unlike Yui, who would jump at the most minor things. Aimi was one of the taller girls in the school and one of the most popular as well - everyone knew her name. She was so graceful, and beautiful too. Yui thought she looked like a princess that walked out of a fairy tale and into the hallway, her long snow-white hair sparkling in the orange glow of the sunset. Her hair flowed around her like a waterfall - so long that it went past her back, she was an elegant beauty. Hands down the prettiest girl in the school, and had turned down all of the boys that asked her out, which was a lot. She had the same school uniform as Yui, but hers seemed to fit her well. It almost clung to the curves of her body, and she had the green ribbon of a second year's tidied around her collar of her white button-up shirt like Yui was supposed to. A few minutes ago, Yui could not have cared less about the school dress code, but now it seemed there was no worst crime. Aimi's bright ruby red eyes looked at the ribbon in Yui's hands. She spoke in a calm but assertive tone.

"you know that your ribbon needs to be tied around your collar at all times on school grounds?" Aimi took a step forward as she asked her next question, "What's your name?" her voice was still calm as before, but Yui's heart was beating so hard it might jump into her throat.

Aimi was now towering over Yui, her arms crossed. Yui was barely able to sheepishly stammer out her words, "my name is Yui Uchida. Aimi senpai, I am so sorry I wasn't... I didn't mean to.". She looked like a mouse that had been cornered by a cat. Yui was able to look up at Aimi, keeping her head down. Yui could see that Aimi had a wild look in her eyes. She looked like a cat that was about to pounce. Aimi stepped forward till the two of them were just a few centimeters apart. She could almost feel Aimi's breath on her. Her azure eyes seemed to light up as she looked up to stare into Aimi's ruby red eyes. Her mouth was slightly agape with a look of wonderment on her face. She was enchanted by Aimi's eyes, like seeing daylight for the first time in years. Yui felt like she could see all the stars of the night sky's canvas in Aimi's eyes. Aimi had a mischievous smile at the corner of her lips. She took the red ribbon from Yui in a seductive manner. She put her arms behind Yui, pressing the ribbon behind Yui's neck and pulling her closer to her.

Yui placed her hands over her chest. Her heart was beating so hard she could feel it in her ears, and her stomach felt like a feather in the wind. Yui didn't know what was happening, but as she looked into Aimi's eyes, all she wanted was to get closer to her. To see what she would do next. Those scarlet eyes like spotlights that were captivating her. She wanted to see what that wild look in them meant. She wanted to get lost in those eyes and find eternity in them. To find feelings in them that she never knew she could feel.

"Sen-senpai," she said timidly - like a lost little puppy whining.

Aimi sensually placed her finger over Yui's lips, speaking in a more playful tone, "you know I have to discipline you now, right?" she said flirtatiously, biting her lower lip. 

4