Chapter 2: Friend or Foe part 1
51 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hiraya did not fear death. She had in fact envisioned her own passing numerous of times. In her head, her demise was always a modified version of the same image: clad in her finest armor at the battlefield amongst warriors and demons; their battle cries ringing through her ears as her primordial spirit dissipated into ash. Never had she imagined the reality would be so undignified, naked without a stitch of fabric on her body.

“Who are you?” The immortal repeated, pressing the blade harder into her skin.

Raya looked into his cold obsidian eyes. “You can interrogate me after I dress.”

The immortal’s eyebrows knitted. Then slowly his eyes drifted down her body.

Raya did not dwell on the humiliation of her nakedness. She had more pressing matters to deal with. First, she needed to buy time. Distract him, until the poison she polluted the room with took effect.  

The immortal’s mouth twisted in disgust as he realized her lack of clothing. He waved his free hand and white robes covered her instantaneously.  

“Thank you,” Raya said sincerely.

“Who are you?” he repeated. “And what are you doing in my room?”

Raya gazed at the immortal with renewed interest.

This was the infamous Agila?

Who knew behind the iron mask was a face that would rival the realm’s incomparable beauties? His eyebrows were thick but not bushy and sat elegantly on his face. His nose was high and straight as he looked down on her. She had originally thought his eyes were black but upon closer inspection, she discovered they were deep brown, fanned by long thick lashes. His strong jaw was taut, clenched with impatience.

“Are you done?” he drawled.

Raya coughed, shifting her eyes away. “The general was not what I expected.”

“Since we have established who I am, it would be wise for you to tell me who you are, and what business you have here?”

Raya deliberately evaded the first question. “I required a room. Due to the tournament, the inn had none left.”

“And you decided to use mine,” he asked incredulously.

“Well, I was not expecting you!”

He looked at her robes. “Is that so?”

Raya’s face grew hot, staining her cheeks.

“I must commend you,” he sneered, his voice if possible, sounding frostier to Raya’s ears. “You are a very skilled performer. The blushing innocent…I have had my fair share of assassins. I would give you credit for ingenuity if nothing else.”

Assassin?

Belatedly, Raya realized what it must look like from his point of view. An immortal of his success on the battlefield garnered many enemies. To be constantly on guard is something she understood.

Raya forced a smile. “I shall keep that in mind. I recommend you lower your sword, or it will be very uncomfortable soon.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Oh? Pray tell, how—?” his words died in his throat, paralyzed.

Raya inched away from his sword. “I did warn you,” she said poking at his arm for good measure. It was frozen still. Save for his eyeballs that moved listlessly.

Raya resurrected the barrier to contain the smoke. It was poisoned and she did not want anyone else falling victim to it. She quickly gathered her belongings, leaving out a singular yellow pill from her pill box. Once she was done packing, she came to stand in front of Agila again. Although he could not move, he could still see and hear her.

“The incense will burn out in two hours. You won’t be able to move in another four. I have left out an antidote for you. It’s the yellow pill beside the vase” she pointed to the flower arrangement next to the bed. “Make sure you take it, or the poison may damage your spiritual veins.”

Raya turned to leave but hesitated. What if his enemies found him in this state? Wouldn’t he be like a pig for slaughter? Then what would that make her?

An accomplice?

This did not sit well with her, she frowned.

Unbeknownst to Raya, she was back within Agila’s field of vision. Thus, he witnessed her mental struggle and the unguarded smile that appeared on her face when she had come to her decision.

“Look, I have no ill intent towards you,” she said, returning to stand directly in front of him. “However, I can’t let you go either.”

Raya saw Agila’s eyes darken. “I mean I can’t let you go yet.”

Raya took out her pill box once again. This time she withdrew an onyx pill. Without preamble she forcibly pried opened Agila’s mouth and shoved it down his throat. The shape transforming pill was one of her prized creations along with the paralyzing incense. However, she had not really been able to test the pill’s efficacy. It was also inferior to her dragon scale; she did not dare use it outside of the Desolate Grounds.

Within seconds Raya watched as the mighty general turned into a beautiful maiden. Earlier, Agila looked like a bronze warrior, ready for battle. Now, in contrast the maiden looked like a beautiful sculpture.

Raya clapped her hands and marveled at his new appearance. “How beautiful.”

The lashes she envied earlier were even more magnificent in his new form. Now if anyone came, they would not be able to identify the general and by the time they figured things out, the incense would have paralyzed them too.

Satisfied with her work, Raya picked up her knapsack. “Goodbye general, I hope we never see each other again. Don’t forget to take the pill!” she called out as she fled.

Later Raya would discover Agila had broken out of his paralytic state much earlier than she anticipated. The only reason he had not given chase was he suffered a huge side effect with the shape transforming pill. It had lasted until dawn the next morning and the general refused to be seen in such a form. Her goodwill was therefore not well received. She had offended him in the worse possible way. She had literally added insult to injury.

1