=== Chapter 3 [Bird]
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 3 [Bird]

 

The white is around me and covers everything in sight, I'm cold. It's snowing again it seems, I'm cold.

The wind is in flurry and rages furiously, I'm cold. I'm slowing down because of its strength, I'm cold.

Even if the sun shines above me, little shiny points appear on the ground, I'm still cold.

 

No, the reason why I'm cold is not the winter climate. No, the reason is nether the snow or the wind.

No, the reason is also not close to how I'm dressed, even though I am pretty well equipped.

The real reason to why I'm cold is that my body shivers from inside. This is a bad sign, and I know the reason why.

 

Some places become dangerous to get close. The bed is most probably the worst of them all. The second one is the bathtub, especially filled with hot water. But I still have to warm up, so I have no choice but to use a blanket and cover myself entirely. Sometimes that's still not enough.

 

[You remember that one time when you wanted to make a snowman? I said that the carrot was crooked,

my gosh it was so funny ihihi~ Then you said it's better to lay down and make an angel in the deep snow,

but mine was a little small. Brr... it definitely was as cold as it is now. Too bad this is just a game.]

 

Yes, the best thing I could think of was playing a video game. I made a character in the VRMMO called Unwritten, it's a game where you can basically do anything you want and play however you want. That was what I wanted, my own play style and my own story. Additionally thanks to Synapse and VR this was truly the experience.

 

How I played this game was very simple, I was outside the influence of others, an explorer of sorts. I travelled the worlds no one ever visited and tried to survive as best as I could. Times it was difficult, but it was really satisfying that all this was only due my effort. I was really glad that I could take things my pace.

 

Additionally there was no one that could tell me what do. I usually get called by my parents and they remind me that they still exist. But I don't care any more about that—I can just enjoy the game as it is. They wouldn't understand either, so there is no point in explaining them anything. They already made their statement too many times before.

 

[When you walk through the snow, do you gently step on the snow or do you run as fast as you can?

Sometimes the snow is frozen solid so you might trip. Sometimes it's fluffy so you legs dig deep into it.

I guess it does depend on the snow, right? ihihi~ it's not like you are going to fall into a hole or something.]

 

The place I was currently was a tundra—there was mostly snow everywhere, a few trees, bushes here and there. What was special about this place was that it was basically all white. Wherever you looked, you couldn't escape, you had to surrender to the avalanche of the shiny creamy puffiness. Apparently it was not all that popular and I wonder why.

 

Maybe because it drained stamina at a faster rate? Clothes didn't matter, although I would say I was equipped well. I had like a blue long hair that was kinda coloured like an icicle. It even had like a frosting highlights. On my head, a brown-white chullo with blue pompons. Its design was two duck feather on the top and hazardous signs beneath it. Furthermore, I wear a gauze mask, also in white and with a green hazardous sign. I just like that kind of things.

 

As for anything below, I have a conformable skiing suit that, albeit it’s puffy, fitted tightly with my thin body. I even had to secure it with multiple bets, because I didn't feel it touching my skin enough. It's white and greyish, like a snow-camo. Above that, I also have ski gloves and snow boots, they have the same camo but have blue snowflake tips.

 

[Well today I should be thinking about getting food since I might be needing it soon. I do plan eventually to move,

 because monsters were showing up less here lately. In this game you have to hunt monsters, much like that other game,

 so you have to look for tracks and stuff... pretty boring but once you get the hang of it you can quite good at it.]

 

As per usual, my routine is finding food and materials I can use. There is hardly anything rare in this place, but I manage with animal meat and wood. I also build an igloo as my base. It does really help with the stamina I guess, but also allows me to store materials and supplies for later. I always pack light so there I don't have a lot of stuff.

 

So I step outside my house, rather I crawl outside on my fours, equipped with my sniper rifle and several tools. What I will be doing for today would be underwater ice fishing. Now I know you ought to do that on the surface, but I don't really care. In this game there is no danger to doing that, the only penalty the stamina cost, but it is fine.

 

Tracking my memory I get out the map I drawn for this place and I find my path to the lake. Along the way, I find not a single soul or tracks, I just hope I'm not being followed either. If it comes to that, I have a mean of defending myself, though my chances are better if I just keep running away. Finally I arrive.

 

[This is the place. Okay, now I have to break the ice and dive in. Normally you can just wait until the fishes gather,

also using a groundbait perhaps, but I don't need it. I'm going to the alternative method, which is just swimming with the fishes,

and hitting them with a harpoon. That way you simply save time by not having to make a fishing rod and all that stuff. Okay, I'm ready.]

 

So to start, I take out an axe and chop the surface of the ice. It takes a few swings but eventually a crank appears. I pick the ice which is quite thin, that way it's easier to break. Fortunately, there is no danger of breaking everything, because this is a game and over-realistic things like that would have been just simply annoying. I'm very glad for that.

 

After I finish, I simply take a dive in and have fun with swimming on the surface. This is quite surrealistic, you can't really dive in and you can only swim on the surface. Naturally I mean under the ice. In reality it would be unwise to do so, but this is a game. I think they will eventually want to make diving a feature, but as it is now its kinda funny to me, ihihi~

 

Under the ice I search for a school of fishes and attack them with my harpoon. To speak the truth, I don't attack them, I click on the gather option and the game does the animation for me. I find it funny that with each successful swing, a fish appears in your inventory. I wonder how that happens, but I guess it's just another way to convenience the player.

 

[Well isn't this a blast? I feel a little bit cold but I can manage on my own if I keep heating myself up.

I wonder where he went, all this time I have been waiting in the cold and he did not come. I'm shivering here,

both my legs and arms are at work here, but no matter how hard I rub, I still feel cold. If only he was here...]

 

I finished my daily finishing with a little larger than usual catch, thus I go back to the hole and jump out. I'm happy that all went well so I can't complain, although my stamina is probably very low now. Usually Synapse, the device responsible for making me feel like I'm in the game, responds to the player if their stamina is low.

 

For this particular sensation it's the feeling of cold, something I feel from time to time. But to speak the truth, there is another reason why I chose this place and why I do swim under the ice. Now I know it might sound difficult, but there is a difference between the cold of my inner body and the cold wind or water that the game is making me fell.

 

Yet, the important thing is that when they overlap they somehow cancel each other. Basically I do all that because I don't want to feel cold—I don't want those shivers that invade me from time to time. This game allows me to do that, quite in strange way as well. Without it I would probably not feel at ease, so I'm glad the game doesn’t force a certain way of playing upon its players.

 

[Yes, eventually I have to return home and feed myself. I know that I'm not the best person around,

that I have faults and I'm not really good at everything, but if you give me a chance I would surely...

But they never listen, no matter how hard I try to convince them. Sometimes I feel like freezing,

sometimes I feel like saying something, but that would only make things worse... It's truly a horrible predicament.]

 

===

 

[Wait a second, I can hear someone in the distance... those must be hunters.

Their timing is most annoying, but I guess I could deal with then since I'm already here.]

 

I don't really like other people doing stuff on my territory, not that I mind that but I'm afraid. You can never really trust someone out in the wild—they can stab you or take your loot and leave. They can also return with friends and destroy your house for fun, so I can't let that happen.

 

On the prowl I move stealthy onto the hill, trying to make as little noise as I can. This is important, I can't let them see me or hear me if I am to surprise them. My sniper rifle is all I really have, so ambush tactics is a must. I crawl in the snow and climb a hill to better observe my adversaries.

 

Luckily there are only two people, a Tank and a Priest. That might be difficult since the Priest, the support archetype, has a lot of healing magic that would undo my damage. I need to wait, and patiently use my opportunity to attack. The best situation would be if I kill the Priest first.

 

[Yo, tank’n’spank this fella. You got me right?]

 

[Okay, don't worry I have healing down, and I don't plan on doing anything else.]

 

Both of them played this encounter very defensively, they didn't spend a lot of mana and just used basic attacks. If that continues I wouldn't be able to use the monster to my advantage. Sitting here motionlessly was not an option either. I had to make them panic a little. I also had just the idea about how I would do it, at least theoretically I had.

 

I had set a trap down below the hill, an Arrow Trap that would attract the bear here. Doing so, I hoped that it would change the aggro and attack the Priest. Afterwards I would then focus on the Tank, preventing him from dealing any damage to the Bear and thus eventually having it kill them both.

 

The only problem was that the trap itself had very short range and only fired in a straight line. If I didn't hit the monster or get its attention, the entire plan would fail. But I also didn't have any other ideas. Therefore I went with the one I decided on the spot. Surely it was better than just sitting idly and letting them kill the bear, I would lose a lot of potential damage then.

 

[Well here goes nothing...I have to move back to the hill now,

I sure hope you notice this you stupid bear. Come here...]

 

And then with a flick of my fingers, the Arrow Trap activated and started shooting projectiles slowly. No one seemed to notice that, probably because they were obscured by the boss. Eventually they did hit, and damaged the bear ever so slightly. But soon the trap ran out of arrows and the stupid bear was no interested.

 

If I repeat that process, I would probably get the same result. This plan didn't work, so it was up to me. I took out my sniper and started aiming at the monster. I had more than enough range, so that wasn't a problem. What I feared I would be discovered by the players due to my shots. But since they didn't notice my trap, I was certain that they would also not notice this either. With the finger on the trigger I took my breath.

 

[Okay, I hope the plan B will work.

This time the stupid bear will come here!]

 

With a charged round I shot at the monster. For Sniper Rifles, you can either fire a burst fire three shots, or one charged shot that has a lengthier animation but also a longer range. I was at my prefer range, thus I had the ability to fully utilize my rifle’s advantage. This is also how I usually dealt with fights.

 

And so, the first bullet hit and followed by several others. The monster was visibly getting damaged slowly, but it still had a lot of health. I was worried that he wouldn't notice be, but at some point I was startled. Suddenly, the bear had changed its behaviour and turned away from the Tank. It was looking directly at me.

 

In a raging rush, it jumped into my position on the hill. Bears could do that? I was surprised, but what was more to come was a little more worrying. The snow beneath us two started to crumble, and slid down, causing my footing to disappear. I tried to Dodge to move to the nearest ground, but I landed too short. Together with the white fur ball, I was sliding down to the ground involuntarily, and I wasn’t having any fun either.

 

[Ugh... you damn bear! You want a fight or something?]

 

Face to face I slowly rose from the ground only to have to deal with the bear claws. Without warning I was swiped, and took the damage before I could do anything else. Flying away from the beast, the other two were now here. However, rather than help me, they came here to finish their hunt. Perhaps ignoring me was their plan all this time.

 

I knew people were like that, cold and without compassion, so I wasn't really surprised. A second later, I was back on my feet and ready to show them what I thought. With my rifle, I aimed at the Priest, who just recently became a new target for the bear. Just as I planned, I thought. I'm sure if they paid attention to me, they would have noticed that I'm preparing my skill against them, and that I wasn't targeting the bear.

 

But just like I did envision I had no problem with using the Sniper Rifle's unique skill, One Last Shot. It had a long animation but it dealt a lot of damage if the target wasn't paying attention. And so, with a flash of the rifle, the bullet travelled through the silent air above the snow and hit its mark.

 

[Huh? You got shot mate? Bruh how rude!]

 

[Shut up! Who needed help just a while ago?]

 

Now they have noticed me, although it was the Tank that did. The Priest on the other hand was in a difficult position. He was being mauled by the bear after I staggered him with my shot. Considering the damage, he won't be standing back up. Thus I managed to finish the first part of my plan. What remained was to deal with the remaining two.

 

I was certain that the Tank would rush at me next, but he did choose to focus on the bear first. He probably thought that I wasn't going to attack him but he was wrong. Without any restrains, I started shooting at him, though he noticed my shots and tried to evade them. What a pity.

 

With the situational awareness, he even used my shots to his advantage, positioning him behind the bear. Reluctantly, I did manage to help him defeat the beast in the end, as his spear dealt the last blow. Now it was only me and him, and the Priest who was down on the ground. With no danger he approached his comrade.

 

[Hey, I appreciate this shooting stuff gurl. That bear aggro though, kinda my fault I guess?]

 

[Bear aggro? I was aiming at you dumbass. Don't think you can escape.]

 

I raised my rifle and aimed directly at that guy, with rage in my eyes that could melt the snow around me. Fortunately for him, he realised that I wasn't just some good girl that goes around and helps people. I was here for only one goal, and that goal was survival. No matter how big they are, I shall hunt them all.

 

[Yo you be that Battle Royale fan huh? I totally can full respect that.

But, if you wanna fight you might as well go there. We be friendly here okay? ]

 

[You better don't come close or I will decimate you, you hear!?]

 

He was moving slowly, but it was only a matter of time before he would reach me. Tanks are the worst, their grapples and armour is hard to play around, especially up close. I had to do something quick, and I didn't have too many options to choose from. The least I could do is to buy myself some time.

 

I had one skill that helped with that, Ice Ammunition. It charged my basic attack with the slow property. Utilizing that, I would be able move outside of his range to gain advantage. With a reach for my belts, blue energy that glittered a little appeared in my hand. I loaded the bullets into my rifle and fired it in burst mode.

 

It doesn't matter which firing mode you use, the slow lasts for the same duration. Even with the Tank blocking, he was slowed down. Not for long thought...Since he also countered my debuff with his ability, which froze the duration of my slow. This wasn't something I predicted at all. I made up another plan. It was a gamble, but my time was short.

 

[Yo, I don’t want to do this but...]

 

[Don't come close you filth!]

 

As I thought “I can't stop him now but I can do something to defend myself“, he used his Bullrush. This allowed him to close the distance quickly and nudge me a little. I was pushed back but I also had a surprise. During his rush I prepared a Spring Trap, which was now right under his feet. The moment I landed, he was in the air.

 

This was the Tanks' major weakness, once staggered they could not block any longer. This was my chance to deal damage, thus I started with my basic attacks and followed with a Gallery Snipe. Then as he was falling, I launched him again, and continued my combo. I also moved away from him, so I would be in a preferable range when he stands up again.

 

But rather than fighting, he chose to run away, slowly moving backwards while defending. Unlucky for him, his buff was due, and his movement was slower again. Unable to escape and receiving damage, he couldn't heal, or run. He was stuck knowing that whatever I do is going to prevent him from escaping. Thus he had one choice.

 

[Hey gurl, why so aggro?]

 

[I said don't come close!]

 

He attacked me with the rest of his strength. It wasn't much I noticed, but enough to make him take a gamble. Using his skill, he wanted to force me to attack, but I was smarted than that. His move had armour, so I couldn't really do much about them. I could only move to evade, and so I did. But he was already too close.

 

With his Seismic Blast, he launched a projective that was moving on the ground, and plowing the snow through. It was following my footsteps, thus I couldn't evade it. If I slowed down and attack, it would have hit me, thus I had to be on the run, he thought. He was mistaken however, because all I had to do was to move upwards.

 

I jumped up to the hill. That was high enough to stop the projectiles and I was able to use it to my advantage. Before he could react, I knelled down and concentrated my aim towards him. Just at that second, my special sniper skill came off the cooldown. I knew that even the blocked damage would be fatal. He couldn't run away or attack me because of the difference in elevation.

 

[Say goodnight scum.]

 

With my shoot connecting with ease, it was over.

 

[Sigh...]

 

Even if he put a good fight, he didn't try to block. He accepted his defeat it seems, perhaps because he had enough. I calmed down a little, with my wounds healing slowly. The snow was covered now with a bit of red, but I wasn't done. I had to finish them both, and loot all three of the bodies. This was my single victory after all. Thus, I was rejoiced.

 

===

 

With simply reducing HP to zero you can't really loot anyone, you have to finish them off as well. This usually keeps them away, and is consider as a PK, meaning it was bad to some people, but this was also a part of the game which I accepted. While getting my prizes I also wondered if I should be leaving to more deserted place, now that these hunters came.

 

With my sniper rifle, I shot the Tank, finishing him and forcing him to drop loot. The Priest on the other hand, he was defeated by the bear so his loot would be inside of the monster. With my carving knife, I skinned the bear, and gathered some monster teeth and a pelt. It was a fair gain for my troubles but there was also something else.

 

Outside of the combat zone, I noticed something that was not the part of the conflict. It was a poor penguin, a very young one, who was covered in bear swipes and had blood around him. Though pathetically, he was still breathing, vomiting blood as he peeped. He called for help, for anyone to take care of him because there was no one for him.

 

[Oh my gosh... what a terribly ugly bird. You must be hungry huh? Ihihi~ I'm joking,

You aren't this gross, just unfortunate like myself. There, I can give you some fish.

I hope you like it raw and uncut because I’m not giving you anything else, okay?]

 

But to my surprise it seemed to accept just raw fish, and swallowed it in a one big gulp. A little while later, his wounds also disappear slowly and he was back on his feet. This guy must have been like a newly born bird—his feathers were still grey and he had problems with standing still. He was cute in that regard so I figured I would pet him.

 

[Don't worry about this fish, I have plenty more in the storage. You don’t even understand human language do you?

But maybe you do, because you are just a virtual bird? Let's try to talk, what is your name little penguin?]

 

However that didn't result in any of his reactions. It seemed to be programmed as a normal animal, thus it doesn't react to speech of humans. However it did react to actions, and so, after feeding him, he appeared to be more interested in me above everything else. I'm sure his parents are worrying for him.

 

[One fish is enough for you, I don't think you should be begging for more okay?

I know you wouldn't understand but at least you can listen to the tone of my voice, maybe?

HEY! hey! No more food! Go away! ...or something like should work right? What a dumb bird...]

 

It looked like whenever I made my voice louder, it grew more attracted and replied me with his peeping. The louder I screamed the louder he got. What a strange little fellow, thinking that I am his mother maybe. Even if I wanted to walk away, he followed me with his tiny feet, falling down several times in the process.

 

I was thinking what I should do with a penguin but I didn't find really a good use for him. I could maybe use his as bait but that would have been just too cruel. I was not that broken. Considering his companionship was also quite unlikely, he would probably just get in my way all the time.

 

Just like now, he was only making footprints and his presence obvious with his peeping. Still, there was something about him that I could accept and found adorable. His little courage to walk, his fearless bird head that decided to follow me everywhere I go. He did remind me of a certain person.

 

[So little fellow, you are really okay with following me around? I don't need to feed you or anything,

you understand that? You probably don't, you ugly bird! Look at your feathers, all dirty and muddy.

Do you always want this hideous? I can tell you now, whatever you do, they will never find you attractive.]

 

But the bird didn't seem to listen to my woes. Oh well, that's at least the best I could do for him. I didn't want to hide the truth from him—he would eventually have to learn it for himself. But really, what I was thinking talking to a penguin about that kind of stuff? Sometimes I'm just feeling cold.

 

[Listen well, I shall give you a name so you can be happy about that. From now you will be Penkun.

Is that fair? When you grow up you will probably just leave me alone, thus until that time I I'm stuck with you.

I know, I can't just leave you behind, I'm not that cruel. You are only a baby after all, right?

So be glad about it for the time being. Also, here, I think it would be faster if I carried you.]

 

With body turning a little colder by the second, I picked up the bird and carried it in my hand. It was strangely warm, though it was just a sensation from the game. I wasn't fully satisfied with it, but it was different than the warmth from my blanket. I guess from now on my igloo has a new heater.

 

===

 

Sometimes all I can see in the horizon is snow, but that’s okay. Sometimes my snowflakes fall onto my nose,

that's still is fine. There are days that the hail doesn't even allow me to leave my house, but I can manage.

Even if weeks aren't going well and you get hit by the hardest winter all of a sudden, you can still warm up.

 

Recently I have found a new source of warmth, and although it's wrong to think it that way, I find that playing this game with the Penkun really did help me realise that. The reason for that, perhaps I'm just not good with people and I prefer talking to animals. But even if it’s just an AI, not an actual living being, that should be fine right? In any case, he became a special virtual snuggling pillow for me in the game.

 

Everyone where I go I take my own snuggling pillow with me, the one from my room. When I hug it I feel like Penkun is with me. On the bed or sitting in the chair, his fuzzy little cotton helps me calm down at times when I need him. At bad times and at good times, he is always there for me, both in the game and outside of it.

 

[Hello Penkun. It's nice that you decided to stay inside the igloo all the time,

because it would be hard to keep you safe outside. You probably understand that, right?

Here, I brought you some fish, so eat it up. You are a growing bird thus you need to eat a lot.]

 

He does certainly eat a lot. Like I could probably feed him endlessly and he would still accept it from me. Right now I was giving him four fishes which he swallowed instantly. Afterwards, he cosily jumped on the ice sofa, and snuggled down next to me. The sofa already had a quite soft and warm yet not melting cover on it.

 

[To tell you the truth, I have been thinking lately about why I did talk with you this much.

You are not even an AI who can understand my words but yet you seem to listen to me the most, I feel.

Thus perhaps I was giving you too much attention and not enough attention to myself, right?

That might be why you have never answered me with something different than a low-pitched peep.]

 

However, his behaviour did eventually change as he grew up. As a little boy he was peeping uncontrollably, every time he saw me. But nowadays he did quiet up and his voice got more mature. I kinda miss his younger, adorable sound. Additionally his feathers did change its colours and he was longer the ugly bird he was once before. You could now clearly see the black and white contrast of his feathers, which were shining and smooth. It was a total transformation.

 

[Say, if humans too could grow feathers would that mean they would be able to become beautiful as they mature?

I wish I was a bird like that, so then at least I wouldn't have to worry about my own charm. It's a pity really,

no matter what I try they won't look at me. But don't worry. You will always have me, no matter where we go.]

 

I was planning to move soon, since there was too few monsters and food remaining in this place. Further towards a colder place was my destination, and who knew how big this game's world was really. After several weeks the players actually managed to map the entire world, so I have heard. It's really big, even too large for the current population of players. For me, I was happy with my Penkun, and no one else.

 

But that soon changed...

 

[Penkun? Where are you? Are you hiding under the sofa? It is time we move out,

so you have to go. I'm already packed so don't worry... well are you outside maybe?]

 

I crawled out of the igloo to find Penkun's foot prints—it was a trail leading out of the house. I figured he went for a walk or something. In any case I had my stuff on me so I only need him now. Afterwards we could just travel wherever we wanted. Now, where could that free-loader went to?

 

Following the path in the snow I hoped that he didn't walk away too far, so I wasn't worried. But soon after the trait was no more. The snow was not falling, thus I did not see a reason why it vanished. His footprints simply stopped without any other traces, no blood or anything. This was strange.

 

[Penkun? Penkun! Where are you birdy? Don't you miss the fish I gave you all this time?]

 

I tried to call him as loud as I could, and I tried to wave around his favourite fish in the air, but to no avail. What could have happen really I did not understand. He never left the house—he always stayed inside and waited for me to login or for me to return with his food. This was worrying.

 

I started desperately digging in the snow, eventually reaching the frozen and cold bottom. No matter how hard I tried and no matter how long I dug, I was unable to find a single living being. Deep inside I knew this was just my stubbornness. I couldn't cope with the loss, but my hands did not stop. The situation like this one wasn't something new to me, but my legs were deep into the snow.

 

[Why Penkun... you were my pet, my bird that couldn't fly. You grew beautiful...

yet you were rotten to the core in the end. You left me behind like the rest...

without saying a single word, even though you couldn't speak... but now you are no more.]

 

I ended up on my fours and faced my reflection on the surface of the ice. My silver eyes, and their greyish eyeshadow was a mess. Smeared all over my tear covered face, my vision was clouded. Sobbing beneath my mask, words like poison could not leave my throat. I felt sick and wanted to puke, but I held my stomach. The thing that was the most disgusting was me—I was ugly without a cure.

 

[Disgusting... I can't look...]

 

When you grow up you will probably just leave me alone… I regret I have said those words…

 

 

Some time has passed after that and I had calmed myself down. But the days of when I felt cold returned. I miserably tried to find a replacement for Penkun but I knew that would not help me in the long run.

 

He was not the solution and I was the problem. That is why I wanted to be alone all this time. I knew that whatever I do, I only cause disgust to people. When I ask them for help, they were clueless. I could only be alone, in the cold, and that was the only solution that was left for me. Alone in the snow...

 

[Greeting and salutations human, it seems that this unit has finally succeeded in scouting.

I presume, if your memory banks would allow, that introductions are not efficiently essential.]

 

At some point I decided that I would travel around the world, thus I was always on the run. However this was not always the case. I was also a part of Anti-TSA once—it was a nice guild. I wanted to fit in, but I knew in the end I couldn't so I left and went solo. This robot, G1, is also the part of the same Guild and the person I did talk and hurt the most. Why was he here?

 

[Wait, it's you G1? How the hell did you find me you bastard! Did you stalk me you creep?

To go through this cold tundra...you would have to really be horny for me or something. Damn,

I feel sorry for you now, but I have to kill you. You understand that at least right, you nut brain?]

 

[Negative, this unit is not here to discuss the past, but rather converse about the future.

The information about a certain penguin pet was acquired thus this unit decided to put it to use.]

 

[Wait a second, what kind of penguin? Penkun is dead! If that's not the case,

you probably kidnapped him or tortured him or...  even worse you sick bastard!]

 

[That is also a negative. This unit simply wants to state that based on a recent animal investigation,

the unit referred as Penkun was discovered among other of his kind. This should please you,

unit Yukihiru, as you were deeply attached to the bird I presume. One additional word,

stalking has not occurred, this unit only visited unit Yukihiru on one certain occasion.]

 

With a robotic movement, G1 wanted to apologize for stalking me, but that somehow felt like a lie. On just one occasion? I know he was helpful in the past, but then I distanced myself from him. He is not a bad guy, so he deserves better than more. That aside, what about Penkun? Is he still alive?

 

[Then just don't stand here, take me to him at once!

You think I would just believe you words, you rusty nut?]

 

[Affirmative, this unit shall provide escort services. Please head this way.]

 

===

 

Blood of the youth spilled from own veins, for other desires than the needs of the flesh, self-harm.

The vitamins and blood cells ingested with abnormal care, bones and skin is what remains, anorexia.

This child have seen the horror of the truth and escaped into the dark realm of true madness.

 

As strange it might appear, I have too prophesied that this one would be fitting for my needs. I have walked literal snow deserts with nothing but white endless sand. I am certain of my conviction, all this effort will in the end be worth more than just that. I will be successful, thus today I say...

 

[Greetings oh child of snow and feathers. It is I, Schuld, the wondering soul of this world.

Finally, after days and weeks of my search I have found you today. Thus I am overjoyed.]

 

[What a creep... you sound like you have never met an actual girl playing a video game.

What is your deal, are you going to beg me on your fours for my number or something?]

 

I had considered my tactic beforehand, but I can't rely on it any longer. The situation changed lately, thus I have to adapt and change my tongue in order to get the perfect resolution in the end.

 

[Bluntly I shall now state that I have only interests that are purely and mutuality beneficial for us both.

The matter is as simple as joining a party and doing exactly as I say. The gifts you will receive as payment,

the benefit you will experience is far more than your imagination can surface, thus think carefully.]

 

[Unless you show me goods first, you old dirty man, I would not listen to any more of your words.

I also hope you came equipped properly. I'm going to shot you anyway, because I don't like you.]

 

But this was the reaction I was expecting, thus everything henceforth spelled good forecast. I knew from the start that if this person was going to be recruited, I had to prepare myself to do the unspeakable. Yet, my mission was more important.

 

[Then Yukihiru, I shall take a different approach. I don't know only about your boyfriends,

but about your family as well, and I'm more than happy to keep my lips sealed if you accept my terms.]

 

[What? You know what? Don't come close!]

 

With one word after another, I started giving her the rundown of her biography. She started nicely,

she was able to finish her college with good grades and was on her way into the industrial cogs.

However, as much as she was smart and bright, she was not a normal girl after all, she had a weakness.

 

Every time when she returned to her house, she came to an empty cold room. She had no one, she needed a man.

Thus, as her desire grew, just like the number of her partners, she also discovered something that disgusted her.

No matter how hard she tried to stay beautiful, no matter her honey coated words, in the end the men left her in a hurry.

 

Her parents claimed that she should try again—that she was indeed a normal girl, but that only hurt her more.

She knew that deep inside that wasn't the case, though she kept that for herself only. It was a strange fewer.

Whenever men would come near to her, spreading her germs onto her, her body would heat up at an alarming pace.

This is why she decided to freeze her heart, and endure the cold alone. This was her sin she was committed in.

 

[I know that you don't want anyone to hear what I just said, and thus you will accept my conditions.

It is all fair and just, because I'm doing this for the good of you and everyone in this world.]

 

[Stop... don't... stay away!]

 

She was fighting, not against me, but against her sickness. It was clearly futile. Eventually she rushed at me, trying to kill me, but she could not land a single shot. Thus, tired and catching her breath, she her only choice was to accept her defeat.

 

[Okay... I accept... just if you please release me.

Promise that you won’t tell anyone okay? I will anything…]

 

[Don’t worry my child, I will contact when everything will be ready.]

 

Her mouth was panting heavily, and her body was trembling with her lower limbs together. She was cold, but I knew she would recover until her time would come. Onto the next I go.

0