Chapter 14: Hibiscus II
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“But we’re not doing anything wrong!” I blurt out.

“You are in flagrant violation of no less than five laws,” the orange officer says. “Six, if you add resisting arrest.”

“Of course we’re going to resist arrest. We don’t know that you aren’t fabricating these charges.”

“Ignorance of the law doesn’t excuse breaking it.”

I bite my lip. “While that’s true—”

“Come on! They’re going to arrest us and you’re all going to let it happen?” Izumi demands of the crowd. “Pick up your swords! It’s time for a rebellion!”

Adventurers avert their gazes. They look from us to the demons. Some look on edge, but they apparently decide we’re not worth it.

“Cowards!” Izumi yells.

“You can come quietly, or we can do this the hard way. Learn to pick your battles,” the orange demon says.

“I want your name and badge number,” I insist.

“Officers Sage and Rosemary,” his partner, a pale but rosy-cheeked demon, says without missing a beat. “No numbers. Come on now, let’s see those hands.”

Oh my god, he’s going to handcuff us. I can’t believe it. My ears burn.

“You don’t trust us?” I ask.

"It’s standard procedure,” Rose sighs. “Now, hands.”

We all present our hands, clasped together in front of us per instruction. The officers whisper a few arcane words and suddenly, it’s impossible to pull them apart. More magic. I shouldn’t be surprised by now.

Binding, my analysis states.

They march us outside and down the street. Everywhere, crowds part for us. Nobody says a word. Izumi even swears so much that Rosemary - or is it Sage? - actually casts a silence spell on her.

We arrive at the police station, a building in the Middle District that I don’t recall seeing on the map. Then again, I don’t recall much about the map. Even with my new mental compass, I’m still easily lost.

It’s actually fairly quiet inside, though not for long as the demon’s spell lifts and Izumi begins cursing again. One short, tan-skinned demon comes out to greet us, while the remainder of the clowns pretending to be police officers mill about trying to look busy.

“Chief, got a couple of adventurers here!” Sage - or is it Rosemary? - exclaims. He smiles like a cat that’s just dropped a bird at its owner’s feet.

“Don’t give me that look. You know what to do,” the chief says, crossing her arms and tapping a foot expectantly.

The rest of the afternoon is a blur as they process us and take us to our cells.

 

***

Hay sticks into my side as I roll over on the pile that serves as a bed for the cell. Solitary confinement. Wouldn’t it figure? I’m trapped in a world of sword and sorcery and I can’t even ask anyone what’s going on.

Lost in thought, I almost don’t notice a small—

“Fire!” I yell, looking frantically for anything to throw over it.

A small flame, burning steadily, walks closer.

...Wait, walks?

My jaw drops.

“Habanero?” I ask slowly, trying to remember its name. “No, that wasn’t it. Hibiscus?”

The lizard-on-fire in front of me trills with delight and skitters into my cell through the gap in the bars. This is none other than that damn dragon from the Demon Lord’s castle!

“What are you doing here?”

Missed you.

She spins around and kneads the pile of hay like it’s a blanket. She looks comfortable. Tentatively, I reach over and stroke the top of her head. It’s strangely soft.

“You’re kidding, right?”

With a sigh, I roll onto my back and stare at the unfamiliar ceiling.

What would a top detective do in a situation like this? They wouldn’t get arrested, for one thing, I very nearly grumble, irritated at myself. I still can’t believe we were all jailed like common criminals — and sent to solitary like we were actually dangerous!

“Does Sinensis know that his precious princess has gone missing?” I ask.

What papa doesn’t know won’t hurt him, she says with a careless air.

Am I going to be charged with kidnapping his dragon, too? This is such bullshit.

Footsteps interrupt our conversation. Hibiscus shrinks until she’s no longer visible.

“Dinner?” A demon — at least I assume it’s a demon, with pale skin and piercing green eyes — carries a tray in one hand and unlocks my cell door with the other. “Don’t you move a muscle. We’re not about to mistreat some prisoners just because they’re human, but I’m not responsible for what happens if you try to escape.”

I force myself to sit still.

“Your trial is set for tomorrow morning,” he offers. “Here. You can sit up and take this.”

I comply and find myself rewarded with something that looks a lot like the meal we’d eaten at the Adventurer’s Guild: rough, bland, and cheap. Something on the plate vaguely resembles mashed potatoes. There’s also a cup with something too dark to be water. I can’t make it out too well in the dim light.

“Iced tea,” he explains, following my gaze. “Store up some strength for the morning. You’ll need it.”

“Uh, yeah. Thank you.” I pick up the fork and play with my food.

The door slams shut again and the keys turn in the lock. My jailer takes his leave. I’m left alone with a miniature dragon, my meal, and the beverage that’s become the bane of my existence. I take a tentative sip. It’s cool and refreshing, with no real scent. I wonder why prisoners are given access to such a high-demand drink.

Hibiscus grows to a few inches in length, taking advantage of her small size to walk onto my plate and nibble some food.

“You can have it,” I mumble.

I could swear that she smiles. As she wolfs it down, I drink my way through the iced tea. With every sip, I do feel better— stronger? There’s a warmth spreading throughout my body, just like when I materialized that barrier to stop the rats.

Curiously, I focus on the lock.

Reminder: physical contact required for analysis.

I set my empty cup down and walk to the cell door, extending my hand to touch the lock.

Acquire skill: lockpick?

I nod without thinking.

Wait, picking locks is—

Lockpick acquired.

Illegal. Picking locks is illegal.

With a dramatic gesture, I point at the lock, but nothing happens. I jab a finger at the air a few more times, to no avail. Then, with a sigh, I grab the lock to inspect it again. My hand glows white for just a second, and the door swings open. Shit, I haven’t thought this far ahead.

If I leave now, I might be able to find my “party,” my companions — but I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to destroy their locks. Not to mention, running from the law is nothing more than admitting guilt. Like hell I’ll paint a bigger target on my back.

“What do you think?”

The dragon yawns. My body feels strangely compelled to do the same. I glance at the high, barred window, at the shining crescent hanging in the sky. It looks so much like Earth’s moon that I almost forget I’m not still home.

We have such a big day ahead of us and I don’t know what to expect. I can still make out streaks of slime-goo on my pants. So much for looking good in court.

Hibiscus makes herself comfortable on my stomach. I’m too weary from my successful but meager attempt at magic to push her off, so I just let her cozy up to me. She’s warm, as if the fire she breathes also courses through her veins. It’s not unlike having a heating pad.

“Hey, Hibiscus,” I say, gently lifting her chin with a finger. “Why won’t you talk to Sinensis?”

What papa doesn’t know won’t hurt him, she says again, and this time I swear there’s a smug look in her eyes. Hibi’s a princess. She can do whatever she wants.

“Just because it’s a pet name doesn’t mean it’s true,” I point out.

Hibi is a princess, she insists.

“Fine. Princess, dragon, I don’t know enough to argue.” I sigh.

Not your fault, Hibiscus reassures me. More food?

“No. You ate it all.”

Then Hibi will find more.

She leaps off of me and darts out of the cell.

I want to follow her. There’s so much I want to talk to my friends about, but I’m so tired.

I’m so tired...

3