Prologue – A Heavenly Voice
26 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue - A Heavenly Voice

Year 208, Seventh Lunar Month, Day of Heaven's Blessing.

The Holy Kingdom of Valrynza, Capital City, Halexis.

Thousands of voices chattered incessantly, with an overwhelming amount of citizens unbearably crowded around the royal palace. Firm iron gates, reinforced with magic, deterred possible trespassers, however, it did not stop prying eyes constantly eyeing the grand gold-engraved doors.

"Say, who do you think will be the one to bestow god's gift this time?"

"Last year was the youngest princess was it not?"

"Ah, she was truly an angel."

"I hear this time will be that eccentric kid, you know, the one always wearing those big goggles and making stuff."

"Wait, you mean the youngest prince?!"

"There's no way..."

"How could they get him to do it?!"

"Oh no... there's no way this will go well."

"Let's pray for our poor ears."

"Indeed."

---

Stuffy.

Oz complained internally in a bad mood, wondering how he got swept up in this mess. His stepmother had forced him into this tacky pure white suit with golden lining, with a matching whitish-gold cape that flew messily behind him. He was 100% sure that he was going to end up face-planting on it at some point, during this stupidly long event. Even his hair was not spared, combed back slickly into what felt like a greasy mop on top of his head.

"All I did was leave a few unlabelled magic pouches on the floor by mistake, not my fault that my idiotic older sister stepped on them, doing a minor amount of damage to her foot and the, uh, main hall of the castle. It was nothing really, sure my sister might be stuck in bed for a few weeks and we would have to spend a lot of gold on repairs but... healing magic's so advanced nowadays! And the royal family was way too affluent anyway. About time we took some losses."

"All I did was drop a few things by accident... even my sister didn't get scolded when she was throwing teddy bears and pillows all over the place! She didn't even pay me back for breaking my stuff!"

"This is blind favouritism I tell you!"

Oz ranted out loud to absolutely no one, his frustrated voice echoing in the wide expanse of the Holy Chamber.

"Tch, what's with this schedule anyway. I've been stuck here waiting for the appointed hour since dawn!"

He continued to complain, though, Oz failed to mention that he had awoken from his nap like 5 minutes ago.

Looking through the grand crystalline windows, he frustratedly waited the final few seconds before the clock chimed.

He knew that, although he may not care for this event at all, quite a few people did, and he had to at least show his family some dignity right? For giving him such a big role in today's special event?

With a sigh, he straightened his back, wore a presentable 'princely' smile and opened the double doors.

Immediately, the sound of cheering assaulted his ears, almost making him want to turn back and shut the doors then and there.

How noisy!

He complained irritably, gazing below the doors at the vast crowd across the gates.

It had to be known, that there was no road ahead of him. The doors led to nothing but open air, high up on the third floor of the castle.

Still, Oz had no hesitation as he stepped forward. After all, he was of royal blood.

Translucent golden steps materialized where his foot landed, mesmerizing and magical in appearance.

Continuing upwards, as he reached the final step, a grand platform appeared before him, twinkling in majesty. Drops of stardust constantly dripped off the translucent stage's edge, before being whisked away by the wind and scattering beautifully into the city below.

The people below were flabbergasted as they watched him.

To think, that annoying chatterbox could look like this now. Far gone was his messy, over-grown golden hair that almost entirely covered his face, alongside the tired eyes that were always looking down at some book or gadget.

Now, he actually looked like a prince!

Silky golden hair framed his face, not covering, but complementing his dazzling eyes, which had a brilliant, royal lustre no one had noticed for more than a decade.

Many couldn't believe their eyes... including some of his own family members!

Quickly, however, as Oz made his way into the centre, the crowd's growing uproar quietened automatically.

Soft sunlight delicately draped the young figure, wrapped in colours of the rainbow as he closed his eyes.

With a single breath, he began.

"Nature grows softly, birds of old sing praises."

"Spring brings hope once more."

"Through ordeals of old, dawn rises."

"Smile... and peace will restore."

Silence covered the city as Oz finished the ceremony.

Odd... I might be a bit rusty, but was I really that bad?

He reached out and scratched his head with a lazy frown.

This one action snapped the stupor of thousands, as they frenziedly burst into cheer and praise.

"T-truly an angel!"

"Yes, an angel descended upon us today!"

"I couldn't believe my ears..."

Haha, guess I didn't do too bad after all.

Oz thought to himself with a smile.

But as he blinked his eyes, the world suddenly turned red.

Thousands of corpses were strewn in front of him, across the gates, streets, even piled atop each other.

Streams of blood flowed freely, stretching as far as the eye can see.

His entire vision was clouded in crimson, shaking and trembling as adrenaline coursed through his veins.

But with that scene embedded in his mind, he woke up.

2