Chapter 4 – Acquiring a Home
10 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 - Acquiring a Home

Oz yawned sloppily as he walked away from the Silver Raven's airship, dry rations in hand, tiredly making his way back to the Adventurer's Guild. He really hated having his sleep interrupted, though he managed to vent a bit on those giant bees, he still felt pretty terrible.

The sun was shining brightly now, with people making their way out of their homes for another hard day's work. Familiar wooden buildings from the day prior slowly began propping up around him, many still in disrepair due to the catastrophic Worldshift.

Though, it wasn't really any of his concern. Not like he grew up here and had sentimental memories or anything. He still wondered why he was here in the first place, but he wasn't really one to dwell on things like that.

As long as he could continue his magical engineering feats, he didn't really care where he was! Fortunate that this place had magic eh? Otherwise his whole world might've crumbled...

Before he knew it, Oz found himself back at the adventurer's guild. Dropping off the sack of Slumber Bee stingers alongside his quest report, he actually felt a bit lost for a moment as he sank down on a sofa chair whilst nibbling some food.

He... had no home. It should've been an obvious realization, but it oddly hit him right in the gut, making him feel a faint sense of loss.

"Well... what to do now? Another quest?"

He scratched his head, feeling a bit remotivated to make money again. But... he was feeling rather drained. If the next quest he took on ended up anything like the last one, with sudden unplanned combat, he didn't think he was up to the challenge.

But he didn't really like the idea of doing nothing either... hmm...

He would love to conduct some research on the stingers he had gathered, but he had no tools or laboratory to do experiments with. He could make some from scratch or buy some, but that might be costly and he wasn't quite sure of the magic systems around here yet.

How annoying.

Oz thought to himself in frustration, hating this feeling of wanting to do things, but also not wanting to do things.

Perhaps he should just familiarize himself with this world a bit more and prepare himself to meet whatever other vicious entities may be out there.

With that thought in mind, he dusted off the crumbs on his coat and set out for a library. He remembered seeing one on the way here, so he didn't think he needed to ask for directions.

"Oh my god! You look just like a doll~!"

A shrill lady's voice suddenly resounded nearby. Without even looking, he faintly felt that the voice was directed at him. He strangely had a bad premonition... as he immediately started off into a run.

He didn't get very far though, before the lady suddenly appeared right in front of him. He faintly registered raven-coloured hair and pink eyes before they inevitably collided due to his speed.

Ice-cold hands wrapped around him as he was pulled up into an embrace.

"Aww, you're so cute. You should've just said if you wanted a hug!"

A motherly voice sounded beside his ear, sending shivers up his spine.

"How on earth did it look like I wanted a hug?! I was clearly running from you! Are you blind woma-"

A dagger suddenly appeared on his neck, with a drop of his blood pooling on its edge.

"Do not speak to Lady Ruinova like that."

A young man in frivolous butler wear stood beside them, threatening the him that was being coddled with an icy gaze. His hair was long and silver, tied into a neat ponytail.

"Stand down, Aucai."

Lady Ruinova reprimanded, wiping the blood off Oz's neck as Aucai retreated.

Behind him, several others dressed in the exact same formal servant wear approached. They were all handsome, or beautiful in appearance, so much so that it was cause for alarm...

Some looked at him coldly, some curiously and some... pitifully.

Oz's danger premonition had reached max level, as Lady Ruinova stroked his golden hair, straightening out the messiest bits and revealing his face more clearly.

"Such a beautiful child. Golden hair and golden eyes..."

She smiled warmly, her rose-coloured eyes glittering with sincere praise and adoration.

Just as she was assessing his appearance, Oz was also assessing hers. Afterall, with her seemingly unpredictable teleportation abilities, he couldn't really escape.

Lady Ruinova was a tall woman, with pale skin and a large bosom that he was uncomfortably close to. Raven hair was tied into a neat bun behind her, decorated with beads and pins in an elegant, but not overly-glamorous fashion. She wore a dark crimson dress with draping sleeves, that tickled his hands as she finally put him down.

"You are an adventurer yes? How would you like to work with me? I pay very well."

Oz wanted to retort as brazenly as he usually would, until he remembered the various servants behind her. Her last line also made him hesitate for a moment, though he still firmly chose to refuse.

He didn't need to ask how she knew he was an adventurer, the fact that they were barely a few steps from the adventurer's guild was plenty cause enough.

"No thank you."

He responded tonelessly, immediately widening the distance between them as he attempted to retreat back into the adventurer's guild. It was only after he had already taken a few steps inside did she choose to speak again.

"...You are an airship mechanic, yes? How about I offer you your own private airship?"

"...What?"

"Yes, your own airship. It wouldn't be the size of the usual ones of course, just enough space above and below deck for yourself to live in, what do you say?"

Piercing eyes of shock and envy from the lady's servants immediately flitted to his body, as Oz remained in disbelief at what she had just offered.

What a money-waster.

Was his first thought, his eyes fluttering downwards to hide his disdain.

Even when I was a prince, I thought long and hard about purchasing priceless magical equipment. And here this lady is offering entire airships to a random passerby! And I thought my older brother was bad, spending gold like water to win the hearts of the ladies he set his eyes on.

He scoffed internally as he turned around, wondering how her fortune was sustained.

"Fine, let's hear it."

Oz relented, naturally very tempted by what she had offered, though his initial opinion of her had lessened even farther with it.

1