38. Lords of the Labyrinth
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The small tinkling sound woke Jonas. He spotted a man emplacing a tray on the table. The servant, alerted by some sign, turned toward him and asked,

“Will you take full or small breakfast, Sir?”

After the “light” meal he’d gotten yesterday, Jonas didn’t hesitate to reply “Small one, thanks.”

Jonas also found that his Professional clothes had been neatly folded and laid to the side. He’d swapped – somewhat awkwardly – into provided bedclothes, feeling a bit odd at sleeping in the enormous bed with his normal attire. Next to his gear, however, he found a full set of clothes.

Not wanting to wait until the footman came back, Jonas assumed that he was supposed to wear those. After all, the Royal Princess had warned them they’d probably get clothes for their presentation in the Palace. Although, on checking the clothes, he had no idea how they managed to fit them. While he’d never worn such attire, the clothing was obvious, save for the cravat, which he had no idea how to properly place.

He’d barely finished checking the attire on a mirror when the same servant came back with a full tray covered with plates, including a porridge saucer, toasts, jellies and jams and sides of cold cuts. A steaming mug of some hot beverage, probably tea, completed the whole. Jonas mentally congratulated himself on picking the light version. The breakfasts at Gatepost were close to the ones he was used to, but he wasn’t sure he’d be able to eat the full ones here in St. James.

 

One of the useful things the team descriptor gave him was that he was well aware that the only ones still in their rooms in this aisle were Guss and Alton, as they were the only ones in the range, for whatever the Labyrinth abilities considered “in range”.

 

Team

 

Professions

Health

Mind

Jonas Sims

Aetherseer (61)

286/286

365/365

Jonathan Gilbert

Layman (61)

503/503

323/323

Ira Heard

Layman (61)

637/637

386/386

Guss Fullmore

Hospitaler (61)

344/344

304/304

Laura Harvey

Smasher (61)

394/394

328/328

Alton Raby

Piercer (61)

387/387

293/293

 

Also, he reflected, Ira must be feeling weak. Without his gear and with Lingering Death still at nearly 30%, those vitals were the lowest he’d seen since Othary. He wondered how hard it had been to convince him not to wear those gloves they’d traded for when they crossed Zilbarn.

Alton then Guss moved out of his range as he followed the footman guiding him to the “Western Waiting Room”, wherever to the west that was.

A few minutes later, seeing the three statuses turn into “in range” indicated that Jonas was nearing his destination. So, he was not surprised when the footman opened a final door and ushered him into the so-called waiting room.

What surprised him, however, was the attire of the three already present. Jonathan and Ira wore a variant of his own clothing, but Laura was entirely changed, wearing a formal robe elaborate with lace and various trims. The colour itself was subdued, but the contrast to the usual… well, working leathers was stunning.

“Wow. I was going to say we all look good, but you do look different. Better.”

“I almost sent the clothes back twice before they persuaded me to try those,” she replied, making a small curtsey.

“I have no idea how they can guess at the measurements.”

“I haven’t asked either. And now, I’m wondering if we’re going to keep them. Although… well, they don’t fit in Puppet.”

“Cowen said so,” Jonas remembered.

“It’s too bad. I got that sweet deal in Gatepost for basic gear that looks ok but compared to those, it’s too plain. Although… I’d probably wouldn’t walk around in London in those either. It’s too rich.”

“We might not be rich, but we’re Professionals,” Ira said. “Surely that counts.”

Jonas turned to the silent member of the team.

“You’re okay, Jonathan?”

“I’m fine. I’m fine. Don’t worry.”

“You’re sure?”

“I said I’m fine. It’s not as if anyone can change anything.”

 

Guss, then Alton finally joined them before one of the valets came to notify them that the Crown would be in the reception room in half an hour, and they’d be brought in at that time. Jonas was tempted to sample some of the sugary concoctions that had been emplaced to the side of the waiting room but decided not to. There was little sugar in the Labyrinth… but would he get fat if he indulged? Come to think about it, none of the Professionals he’d seen had been fat either. So… maybe a little candied plum?

Laura had been twirling and swapping her hammers between hands to pass time when an attendant finally came. The two hammers instantly vanished back into Puppet storage as all the team turned toward the valet.

“His Majesty will be in the main room in fifteen minutes, so if you want to follow me, Sir and Milady.”

 

The so-called main reception room was nearly packed. As the team entered, Jonas spotted a few people he remembered from when they exited the Gate yesterday, as well as many other groups of people talking to each other. The valet brought them to a side of the room before informing them that the King would arrive shortly.

One of the people around spotted them and immediately excused himself from his entourage before heading their way.

“Good day, sir and madam. I’m Richard Wellesley, Minister in the government of Spencer Perceval.”

“Hello, sir.”

“I am, for lack of a better form, the Minister in charge of the Labyrinth affairs, and head of the British Scouts. And I’d like to thank you for what you did. Although I suppose his Majesty will do so far more than I.”

“Well… we couldn’t know it would work like this.”

“Nevertheless, accounts say you did not hesitate to empower the Gate once you knew. So, yes, thanks are in order. And I will…”

At that moment, a brouhaha was heard, and liveried bailiffs entered the room, announcing to all: “His Majesty, the King!”

 

The man who entered first was old, and visibly so. But, as Jonas remembered, George III was 80 years old, an advanced age even for a King. Still, he had an undeniable presence – for a mundane person – that made it clear he was truly the King of the United Kingdom. A second man followed him, slightly younger, but with far less presence. Thick and sallow, he was still clearly visibly related to the King.

Jonas realized suddenly that this was almost certainly the King’s elder son, George Frederick, of slight infamy. Many a pamphlet had made a mockery of his vices, chiefly of the extravagant banquets and drinking binges he indulged at all times. Despite this reputation, he was the heir. Being there in St. James was his right in any case.

Probably.

Last came a more familiar figure. Princess Charlotte, wearing the full regalia of royal robes rather than her more normal red leathers, closed the procession. As the three royals made their way to the slightly raised dais and the seats on it, all of the people fell silent.

Jonas noted the presence of a man that wore robes rather than a formal dress. He realized that this was almost certainly one of the Professionals on staff for the King. While the King himself was mundane, a high tier Mender was always on the ready, should the Kings’ health be endangered.

Once the King and his heirs were seated, all relaxed slightly, Jonas included.

 

“For more than three months, the Kingdom has suffered under the pall of the French treacherous actions. Many lost their lives in the cowardly attack that burned London and tried to deny us our right,” George III began.

“For more than three months, we have stood, weakened, but resolute, daring the hordes of Bonaparte to act.”

“But now, the shadow is lifted. And it is thanks to six people here, who reopened the way, and reunited the two halves of the British Empire,” he said, slightly bowing his head into the team’s direction. At that, everyone’s eyes turned on the six, making Jonas – and the rest – slightly uncomfortable from the combined attention.

“My granddaughter’s correspondence told me of their existence before, but now that the Labyrinth is open once again, she has told me more of their bravery and their resilience. Of all the qualities one would ever want from a subject of the Kingdom.”

The King pushed himself out from his chair, and advanced.

“My grandfather was persuaded to create the Order of the Bath as a way to honour those who stood among the most valiant of our soldiers. Those who had displayed the highest courage and prowess. Five years ago, I expanded it to those who did not serve, but displayed the same valour in service of the Crown.”

One of the attendants came and handed a scabbard to the King. The King drew the long and thin sword inside, raising it along his side.

“The membership in this order is by my pleasure, and it is my pleasure to see the ones here to be distinguished. Come forward, Jonas Mark Sims.”

Jonas blinked and nearly backed away. Then, he stepped forward toward the King, coming in front of the small dais.

“Now kneel, and receive the accolade.”

Jonas knelt on one leg first, then the other. The King raised his sword and brought it on his left shoulder first.

“By my command, you are distinguished. By my command, you are elevated. By my command, you are now a Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath,” he said finally, bringing the sword on the other shoulder.

Another attendant came with a cushion, on which there were a pair of golden spurs and a large belt. Jonas hesitated again for a second, then realized he was supposed to take those. He took the belt and spurs and rose. That Agility, even reduced by Lingering Death helped make the move smooth. If he had been a mere mundane, he’d probably have fumbled it.

But then, a mere mundane would not have been there to receive that accolade.

“Come, Jonathan Bennett Gilbert.”

 

 

Her Highness snuck near the assembled team to inform them in person.

“There will be an official grand ceremony at the Chapel of the Order, in Westminster, probably next year. They’ll present you with your crests and insignia as Knight and Lady Commanders, although only the Knights Grand Cross are installed at that time if any. This here is merely an informal appointment to the Order.”

“I… did not expect that.”

“Grandfather decided it yesterday evening. Can’t fault him. But there’s more to come. Sometimes, he’s fast.”

 

 

Jonas and the team came out of the room and stopped. The courtyard in front of the Palace was packed. There was a set of carriages in the courtyard, attendants waiting, but the entire alley leading there was lined. With Professionals.

He spotted Amanda Cowen on the side. The clerk from the First Bank in Gatepost. Even Luther and Ada were a bit further. A spectacular assembly of hundreds of armoured knights, fantastically adorned robed men and women, colourful outfitted people with masks or exotic headgear.

As they stepped out of the Palace, all those people raised their arms, and suddenly, a hundred swords, maces, spears, staves, appeared out of nothing, raised to the sky and making an alley of weapons.

“THE LABYRINTH STANDS!”

Feet rose and slammed on the ground with a strength that no mundane could match, making a sound like a world was collapsing on itself.

“THE LABYRINTH STANDS!”

 

Jonas faltered. A prodding from behind made him advance. At the courtyard’s gravel, the team was separated. Ira and Guss were led to the front, where George III himself, he realised, was going. They climbed into the carriage. Laura and Alton were brought to the second, where the heir, George Frederick was being helped to get into. Finally, Jonathan and Jonas got aboard the final carriage where Princess Charlotte joined them.

The entire assembly of Professionals turned to face the courtyard and stomped again.

“THE KINGDOM STANDS!”

Troops of cavalry moved and the three carriages started toward the Palace courtyard’s entrance. Jonas could hear clamours coming from there. As the carriages exited, it looked like all of London was lining upon their passage.

“Relax, Knight Commander Sims. It wouldn’t be good if all of the Kingdom saw you so nervous,” the Princess said.

“It’s just so overwhelming.”

“The people of London… the people of the United Kingdom need that. They need a celebration, a reassurance that the French horde will not fall upon us, after all those deaths. And you six are the ones who gave them that. So why not show yourselves?”

She raised her hand and started waving, looking to the sides where masses of people were standing, waving and cheering.

“Wave,” the royal command came. So Jonas and Jonathan both started waving, triggering ever more shouts.

From his vantage point, Jonas could see the other two carriages slowly making their way across the border of the Queen’s Gardens, before turning and heading toward the Thames.

The streets were packed; people lifting children to see the procession, some throwing flowers on the passage of the carriages and their cavalry escort.

“I loved that kind of thing when I was little,” the Princess said. “You’re a bit younger than me, so you probably never saw it, but my mother used to parade around London with me, and I can remember waving a bit and enjoying people cheering as we passed.”

The procession turned again, and Charlotte immediately chastised the two, whose efforts at waving had slackened.

 

 

“Now, legally, you will need to be employed by a Company to enter the Labyrinth. His Majesty my grandfather and his government agree that it would be in the interests of the Kingdom not to shackle you with some random noble’s machinations.”

“We haven’t thought about it yet,” Jonas confessed.

“But we already had a proposal by the Artefact Hunting Company,” Jonathan offered.

“Lord Carnavon’s gamble. No offence to Zacharias, but his company is a bit too mercantile for my tastes. No, what I want to offer you is employment in the High Labyrinth Office.”

Seeing Jonas’ surprise and hesitation, she interjected, “Wave!” before continuing.

“It’s a sham, of course. But since it was necessary for me to enter the Labyrinth, and the Act prohibited the Royal family to control any companies in it… well, Arthur Wesley offered to create one for me. And my usual team. His brother had said no, after all.”

“You want to offer us a posting in your own company?” Jonas blurted.

“Well yes. It doesn’t pay much. A shilling per week,” she smiled at the joke.

“But it’s not an onerous work. You would be free to do whatever, keep what you find in the Labyrinth – unlike Zacharias’ outfit – and progress at your rate. The only thing we’d expect from you is to be there in case the United Kingdom needs you against the French or any other…”

“I accept!” Jonathan interrupted.

“Well, I’d hope so. But discuss it with the rest of your team. Your peculiarities mean you should stay as a team. Given your Milestone special, you’d be distorting any team you’d join individually. It is really up to you, but… the Crown needs you.”

“In case they do it again, you mean.”

“In case they’re stupid enough to try. Unless they assassinate you first, they’d fail anyway.”

“Would they do that?”

“Why not? Napoleon is a very, very pragmatic man. Whatever works, works for him. No act will be dishonourable if it furthers his goals, as we’ve seen.”

She noticed the stricken look from Jonas and laughed lightly while waving her hand at the crowd again.

“Don’t worry. A Professional is very hard to kill except when he makes mistakes, and you can be resurrected, even on Earth. The higher the level, the more time you have. So, get those levels up. And smile and wave, that’s an order.”

 

 

“Babbage.”

“Your Highness.”

The Princess asked “So, any new ideas what’s next? Can the French do it again?”

“They could probably try it again. We’ve got people trying to reverse engineer those things, but they can certainly build more. But if we can restart the Gate at will, it’s worthless for their goals.”

“It took all of them to restart it,” she noted.

“And you probably don’t really need all. They’re still low level, after all.”

“You’re sure?”

“No. And yes, while I’d love to test this, I realize the only way of doing that experiment would entail something no one is ready to allow. But we have something that probably works. The crystal draining shows that the Gate can use stored aether. So, the only wait time is until it’s fully repaired at 100% integrity, and stockpile enough large crystals. They can’t starve us,” Babbage offered.

Charlotte made a face.

 “I’m pretty sure the government is happy. Now my family… they don’t trust that possibility too much. They want me to move to London permanently.”

“I am sure you will find a way, Your Highness. No force on Earth can’t stand between a Professional and the Labyrinth.”

He added, “At least, I’m not so sure. After that Gate reset…”

“One of the most strange things I’ve ever seen, and the Labyrinth is already pretty strange. It looked like it was… describing what it was doing,” she said.

“The six described something like that when they were shanghaied in the Labyrinth. Seeing what it was doing was pretty strange. I tried to follow the various changes, and I’ve spoken to a few with better Focus than me to confirm things.”

“It is the Labyrinth. Strange goes with the place. So what was it that you noticed that’s even stranger than the usual?”

“The numbers and what the Gate was doing. There’s five Gates, of that we’re nearly 100% sure. Unless there an undiscovered desert island in the middle of the Pacific with a sixth that nobody entered, because none of the locals qualifies.”

“That’s a given. And I know some people are now thinking there might have been more open in the ancient ages if there has been 113 of them,” she replied.

“Well, your Highness, most of the time, the Gate was displaying ‘In Use’ along with its numbers. The thing is, it did so for at least over a dozen different numbers. That I counted. A few other numbers, it even said ‘Unavailable’ instead.”

“You’re saying there’s over a dozen of those Gates already in use, not five?”

“Other counted a bit more since there were numbers for which it was back to ‘Reset’ before I could notice, but no, that’s not the strange part.”

Princess Charlotte looked interrogatively at Babbage.

“The big mystery is, it did display ‘In Use’ when it first showed 113 again. Twice, in fact. And only on the last time for 113 did it show as ‘Available’ and then the Gate went to say ‘Connecting’ like the first restart. So 113 is not a number specifically for the London Gate. It seems to mean something else entirely different.”

He smiled at the Princess.

“I would suggest organising a visit by one of them to the American Gate. Just to check if they can also see their Great Gate descriptor or if it’s only for the one they restarted. And what number it has.”

0