Chapter 31 – Tonight Last Curtain
23 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Revised Prologue until Chapter 5]

 

Without anyone notice, a day has passed.

A boy looking the surroundings restlessly.

Something not right.

“Haa!”

As he swung the sword, Arc felt the strangeness of the whole situation, yet he couldn’t point out what is it.

“Ahh…”

Arc’s sword embedded deep in his enemy body.

Blood spurted, and the enemy fell.

The Robed Man was a First Rank Middle Stage Warrior, yet he fell under Arc’s sword, the First Rank Low Stage Warrior. After continuing Misha’s meditation, Arc managed to rise up to Low Stage from Initial Stage three days ago.

From his knowledge, that quite an amazing advancement.

That robed man should stronger than Arc by a stage, but fell short, as he was crippled by group of Puppet Corpses.

While against Arc, the Puppet Corpses shielding him, and one of them managed stabbed robed man on the back, gave Arc an opportunity to finish him off.

Watching his enemy turned into lifeless corpse, he saw the dead robed man isn’t become a Puppet Corpses like the others.

It seems there’s restriction for Herlin’s magic to work.

“Maybe, because he is a Ranker?” Arc mumbled.

Since helping Misha’s magic study, Arc gained a considerable understanding about magic and its rules, even though he could couldn’t use it.

Honestly, it feels weird have Puppet Corpses as allies. It was as though he is the big villain in this confrontation.

“Wait, this isn’t time for that now!” (Arc)

Arc broke from contemplation, observing the surrounding.

Herlin, alongside numerous Puppet Corpses, fight with a lone Second Rank Warrior.

Raina fighting against three First Rank Warriors with the rest Puppet Corpses as meat shield.

Misha, she was supporting everyone with her magic from behind. Occasionally, she’d fire powerful magic, or threw a bomb to an enemy.

Where she found those things?

Arc himself besieged by several First Rank Warriors, and managed cut several of them down. For an instant, he was doubting those men were really Warriors, if weren’t for their aura. He’s felt they were too weak.

The robed men begrudging, tightening their grab on their weapon, as though they’d suffocated by rage. They still unbelieving with the situation.

The battle just passed for short.

They have more people, in the place they familiar. They’re in absolute advantage.

However, when they realized, they found their number have been reduced almost to half by this little devils.

Children?

Like hell they would believe that.

They will never ever belief they were children, even if they are right in front of them, after this night.

Just what kind children that could killing people like this?

They more belief they are actually devils in disguise.

Right now, they more preferred to escape from this place immediately rather than fighting against those little devils.

There’s no more time.

Knight could come to this place anytime. If they couldn’t escape by then, their situation will turn worse.

Arc’s party didn’t know the thought of those robed men.

Arc particularly.

Currently, there an unknown anxiety disturbing his mind.

He was mulling over what the identity of strangeness he felt off. He has feeling it was very important.

Because of that, he couldn’t concentrate with this fight.

…….

Hmm?

This fight?

By the way, why they are fighting?

It as if his thought tugged. Arc feels he almost touching the strangeness he felt, yet couldn’t. His mind trapped in thought until Misha called him out.

“Arc!!” (Misha)

“!?” (Arc)

He woke up from contemplation.

“Uaahhh!” (Arc)

Dodge!

Reflexly, Arc bend over his body, barely avoid the incoming slash.

“Dammit!” Cursing the assailant.

[Light Arrows]

Light Arrows shoot up, blew the attacker away from him.

“Don’t be distracted!” (Misha)

“Thanks, Misha!” (Arc)

That was dangerous.

He was really careless to be distracted at this kind time.

“Hey, Arc. Isn’t now the right time to escape!?” (Misha)

“Huh? Escape?” (Arc)

“That’s right. Look, Herlin can’t last much longer.” (Misha)

Arc see Herlin.

Yeah, no matter how much Puppet Corpses Herlin controlling, they aren’t match with Second Rank Warrior’s strength. Herlin herself, who was inexplicably powered up, just at First Rank Peak Stage. Even Magist stronger than Warrior, she still fell short.

It’s already disadvantageous and reckless endeavor against a group of Second Rank Warrior and several First Rank Warriors, a group that clearly stronger than them.

Just idiot would do something like this.

… 

……

………?

Wait a second.

Now that he thought about it.

Why they are fighting them?

Arc feel as though as his mind was wakened from dream.

Since he already reunited with Misha and Herlin, isn’t that the most preferred action should escape from this place as soon as possible.

That certainly most reasonable action if he thought that carefully.

Just why would he choose dive into this useless fighting?

The more he thought, the more laughable his previous action is.

His expression changed.

“Misha, we must get out from here, fast!” (Arc)

“!!?” (Misha)

“Raina, protect Misha. Wait for me!” (Arc)

“Okay.” (Raina)

“What you are intent to do, Arc?” (Misha)

“I’ll pick Herlin.” (Arc)

Didn’t wait for reply, Arc dashed off.

“What is this about?” (Misha)

“There more.” (Raina)

“Eh?” (Misha)

Raina seems synced with Arc. Her sight didn’t fall on him, but something beyond him.

Misha uneasy. She spread her mana, viewing the surroundings. A sigh escape as soon she understands Raina mean.

“That a lot of trouble.” (Misha)

Arc approaching Herlin.

“…” (Herlin)

Still, she treating him as though he isn’t there.

“Herlin, let’s get out here!” (Arc)

“…” (Herlin)

There still hasn’t a response.

Arc getting headache how to deal with this Herlin cold version. Since he just haves short time, he didn’t have choice but gambling.

“Excuse me.” (Arc)

“Uh…?” (Herlin)

Without further notice, Arc scooped Herlin in his arm, then ran back.

“Go!” (Arc)

He glancing the little girl in his arm. No expression she haves. Her gaze nailed on his face, just looking him.

A sense of relief surge up as Herlin isn’t fight back.

Misha and Raina following Arc instruction, hurriedly leave this place with him.

They running away.

But––

“Please don’t leave so soon.” (???)

A voice stopped them.

Arc and Misha knew it’d bad if they don’t leave soon. But that voice stopped them, as though the voice could bind them like magic.

A shade cast on their face.

“They here.” (Raina)

A great number of robed men showing up. Covering half of the field.

“……This isn’t a reinforcement.” (Misha)

“Seems so,” Arc nodded. “No matter it’s look, this like their entire people.”

“Are we in trouble now?” (Misha)

“……No.” (Arc)

Arc denied, and said with straight face.

“We have been in trouble since the raid at Opera House.” (Arc)

Misha pouting at the retort. She didn’t argue since it was true.

“You children seems really too relaxed there.” (???)

A great sense of intimidation fell on them.

A robed man with strongest aura coming out. His mask covers his face, unable the children to see his look.

A Third Rank Magist!!

Arc and Misha shocked by the aura this robed man have.

Arc squinted his eyes since he recognizes him.

That man is leader of these mysterious robed men. If he not wrong, he the one that doing something suspicious in Opera House Ruins.

Beside him, Misha choked, Raina grunting, Herlin just watching coldly in his arm. They wary of him as his presence made them felt threatened.

Everyone except someone.

Arc calmly observing Robed Man Leader, looks totally unaffected by his presence.

“Well, that’s because it was useless always in tension, Mister.” (Arc)

“Uhh…” (Misha)

“Excuse me Sir, could you please get you shoes away from here, now? You really bothering my Master there.” (Arc)

“A-Arc…” (Misha)

“Hoo… what a small brave we’ve here” (Robed Man Leader)

Robed Man Leader raise his brow unpleasantly toward that polite yet rude word.

Saw the rude child not slightest intimidated by him, roused his interest.

“Apologize small brave, I can’t.” (Robed Man Leader)

“Why?” (Arc)

“Because I have to bring you with me.” (Robed Man Leader)

“It’s that so, pity then.” Arc shrugging.

With a kindly smile, Robed Man Leader pointing his staff to them.

“How about this one? I suggest you follow us willingly. I promise I’ll treat you politely as a guest.” (Robed Man Leader)

“A guest?” (Arc)

Arc tilted his head in surprise, wondering if the man in front of him was an idiot or simply couldn’t see the corpses of his subordinates.

Not he recognized just what they have done!

Nothing he could think off, but an obvious trap that had set in front of him.

As though he can read his thought, Robed Man Leader said:

“Don’t worry, this is not a trap.” (Robed Man Leader)

“So why?” (Arc)

“Because, you children, have potential.” (Robed Man Leader)

“???”  (Arc)

The man explaining.

“It seemed you not know nothing what have you done. Not just you managed escape from here, you also beat these useless people in process. It doesn’t matter how many useless pawns you destroy. What matter is you have potential to stand above everyone here.”

The surviving robed men’s face red in embarrass. It was humiliating being called useless by their leader in front of outsider, even more to enemy.

The Robed Man Leader ignoring them. Continued his passionate speech.

“You have potential, a potential that would make me to look at you. Pity, this place too backward for your growth. No matter how long you live, as long you here, you wouldn’t fully wake the power inside you.” (Robed Man Leader)

Arc nodded.

This man not intent to trap, but rope them to his side.

His word haves a certain quality that made people will believe him. Arc also not feel any lie in his word.

“What you suggest then?” (Arc)

“Join us!” (Robed Man Leader)

Robed Man Leader showed a glimpse of his true color.

What he was hidden is madness behind those gentle eyes.

Stealthy, Arc pulled Misha and Raina to behind him, since he no longer intending to listen.

Being excited with his speech, Robed Man Leader hasn’t realizing with their action.

“If you join our faith, you will be provided with many resources. Given anything you desired. You will realize just how small your backward country is, and move to higher stage. You could do anything as long you join us.” (Robed Man Leader)

“So, what should we do to join.” (Arc)

“Became His Holiness Holy Warrior! Became Satryssfa believer!” (Robed Man Leader)

He said with great zealous.

“…”

The room silent

There no immediate reply. Saw Robed Man Leader already finished said all things he wanted to say, Arc give their answer.

“We refuse.” (Arc)

His answer was soft.

Since the surroundings already quiet, as the leader finished his speech, Arc’s word clearly spreads.

A cold aura exuding Robed Man Leader. Frightening the people behind him.

“……Could you tell why?” (Robed Man Leader)

“Nothing much. We just not like you and your people. Nor we belief you.” (Arc)

A regretful sigh escape from Robed Man Leader’s lips.

“It’s pity.” (Robed Man Leader)

Then his gentleman demeanor removed. The warm air that surroundings him shifted into sharp chill. His gentle expression became cold apathetic, yet those eyes exuding madness.

Just in short moment, Arc saw Robed Man Leader almost become a totally different person.

“…So that’s the real you.” (Arc)

“Tough I prefer you follow us willingly. It seems that wouldn’t be happen… We’ll take you with force.” (Robed Man Leader)

“You quite forcefully.” (Arc)

Take us, not kill?

That was a question want Arc to fill.

Why in the world that man so interest to them?

“Sorry to tell you, but you can’t.” Arc sneered.

His expression seemed snap the robed men behind the leader.

“Ahh, enough! I have enough with your tone, you damned brat!”

One of robed men weakling charged to Arc. Having long lost patience.

He was jealous looking someone get a chance to become a Holy Warrior. Saw that shitting child refusing the offer made his excited, he got reason to bash him.

“Such rude kid like you must be punished!”

Inwardly, he thinking various vicious punishments that could make this rude kid regret for being life. But no one pay him any heed. Their attentions were focused on Robed Man Leader.

Angry, the man momentum increased.

To his shock, Arc just glanced the man dissatisfiedly.

“I’ll kill you, Brat!”

*Shush!!*

*Bang!!*

Before the man could reach him, a long spear appears from sky and bisect him.

A sigh out Arc’s lips. The trap got wrong target.

After a while, a middle-age man showed up beside the spear.

“Took so long to find you all, Kids.” (Robert)

““Uncle Jug!!””

“……Could you two don’t use that nickname in this kind of time?” (Robert > Uncle Jug)

Robert, alias Uncle Jug, has appeared.

“Forward!” (Emer)

“““Huooo!!!”””

“Brother Emer!” (Misha)

After him, Emer came along with many knights behind. In no time, the space behind the children filled with Myrdiana Knights.

Arc and Misha relief since it’s mean they’re safe now.

Saw the knights has arrived, those robed men getting agitated, except a few of them.

“Seem you have brought friends, little brave.” (Robed Man Leader)

The Robed Man Leader calmly state that.

“This man…” (Uncle Jug)

Uncle Jug frowned, recalled his appearance before in Opera House Ruins. Alarmed, he took a battle stance.

“Sword Battle Formation!” (Emer)

The knights, led by Emer, following him, formed army battle formation. They pulled the children behind the formation.

“……Ku…Ku-Ku-Ku.” (Robed Man Leader)

A cold smile appears on Robed Man Leader’s face, starting laugh eerily.

“Ku-Ha-Ha-Ha!” (Robed Man Leader)

“What you laugh off!”

A knight yelled off, frightened by his incomprehensible reaction.

“Ha-ha-ha, Nothing. I just happy you people will bid my farewell like this!” (Robed Man Leader)

He spread his hand.

A bewildered spread among the knights and enemy, wondering if this man was mad.

“Now, oh the Knights of Myrdiana, I too will give my regards at your politeness.” (Robed Man Leader)

The man spread his arm.

It was just a simple act, but people felt shiver at his slightest move.

Even Arc and others also cold on their spine.

Numerous black tentacles grew from ground. Wringing around Robed Man Leader.

People start to feel restless.

The men under Robed Man Leader much calmer since they knew what kind man their superior is.

However, the knights and children realized.

This man really a bad news.

“First, let me introducing myself. I Ferdinand Van, the Cardinal of Satryssfa Crunch, one of Satryssfa follower leader!”

With unknown purpose, he introduced himself.

“I give my regard to all guest. Now, let’s lower the tonight curtains.” (Ferdinand)

As the word fell, the last curtain for tonight fell.

2