Vol 1 Chapter 4: Elementary Academy
174 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Academy is a place where children learn general knowledge, magic, and much more. In other word, it’s a school. The Academy in this country is divided into 3 levels; Elementary Academy, Advanced Academy, and High Order Academy. The Elementary Academy offer free education.

Children starts attending Elementary Academy when they are around 7 years old. It is compulsory to finish the education in Elementary Academy, and they usually graduate after 5 years. During this time, students are taught about general knowledge, such as history, mathematics, and linguistic, and the basic of magic.

After students graduate from Elementary Academy, they can choose to attend Advanced Academy for 4 years. The Advanced Academy is divided into several divisions. The most popular divisions are magic division, adventurer division, merchant division, and knight division. Students can enroll in those four divisions for free if they pass the entrance exam. If they don’t pass, they can still enroll, but they have to pay. Other divisions such as politic, study of creature, and alchemy have various tuition fee.

The High Order Academy is also divided into several divisions, but there are less divisions than the Advanced Academy. Currently, it only has 3 divisions: magic, alchemy, and zoology. Unlike the other two Academy, the High Order Academy is open for anyone above 16 years old. One can enroll into this academy by passing the entrance exam or by recommendation.

Of course, I don’t have plan to go to the High Order Academy. After I graduate from adventurer division of Advanced Academy, I will sign up at the guild and become an adventurer. I don’t really know about the guild, but apparently, it’s where adventurers apply for jobs. I’m sure the adventurer division of Advanced Academy covers everything I need to know in their curriculum, so I will just worry about that later.

“The uniform suits you well.”

“But this is just a plain shirt under a vest, Uncle Deim.”

“Well, that blue vest looks good on you. I guess you won’t be hunting with me anymore huh, haha.”

“We can still go on my days off.”

In this world, a week consists of 6 days. The Elementary and Advanced Academy only hold classes from the second day through the fifth day of the week, while the first day and last day of the week are days off.

“Don’t get lost along the way, okay.”

“I’m not a kid anymore, Aunt Phoebe.”

“You are seven years old, so actually you are a kid.”

“You don’t have to worry. After all, I’m going together with Big Sis Viciny.”

“Well, Viciny is a good kid, so you should be fine.”

When we get out of the house, the Schedons are already in front of their house. Big Sis Viciny waves at me while smiling. This is actually the first time I have seen Big Sis Viciny in her uniform. The blue vest matches her hair.

“Oh, Marz, congratulation on entering the Academy.”

“You look good in your uniform.”

“Thank you, Uncle Peter, Aunt Mather.”

“You are about to head to the Academy with Viciny, right? Don’t get lost okay.”

“It’s okay dad, I have been to the Academy for two years now.”

“I want to go with you too.”

“Plicia will go to the Academy starting next year, so we can go together then, okay?”

“Then I will wait for next year.”

“Good girl. Shall we go, Marz?”

“Okay~”

* * *

We live near the forest at the country’s border, and the Elementary Academy is located near the center of the country, so it takes about 20 minutes for us to get there. Because this is the first day, there will only be entrance ceremony and homeroom session. During the homeroom session, each mentor informs their class more or less everything the students need to know about the Academy.

The general subjects are pretty similar with the subjects on schools back in my world. But, because this is a completely new world for me with different continents, history, biodiversity, and maybe even physics, since there is magic, I’m sure everything I learn here will be a new thing for me. Except for math. I doubt that the mathematics axioms in this world are different from the ones in my world, from what I see in Big Sis Viciny’s homework. But I like math, so it would be fun to use my mathematics knowledge from college for elementary stuff.

After a couple hour, we are free to go home.  When I get out from the Academy building, Big Sis Viciny has already waited for me. She is currently a third-year student, so I guess her homeroom ended earlier than mine. We go home together along the same way we go to Academy this morning.

“So, who is your group’s mentor?”

“Miss Field.”

“Renee Field the mathematics teacher? She is nice. You seem to be interested in mathematics when you see my homework, so I think you will get along with her.”

“Ooh, so she teaches math. By the way, Big Sis Viciny, what is your favorite subject?”

“Hmm, maybe zoology. Mr. Darwin, the zoology teacher, is also my group’s mentor.”

“Big Sis Viciny really likes animals.”

“I also like plants.”

Oh right, the zoology in this world also study plants. It’s basically biology.

“I like animals too, the ones on my plate that is.”

“I think mom and Aunt Phoebe prepared special lunch for your entrance to the Academy, so we should hurry.”

But it’s just Elementary Academy. I mean, it’s mandatory for every kid, what is there to celebrate.

* * *

“Big Sis Viciny, are you practicing magic again today?”

“Ah, yes, I’ve just finished practicing magic. I’ll have final exam at the end of the year after all.”

Two years have passed since I started attending the Elementary Academy. Right now, Big Sis Viciny is a fifth-year student. In other word, this is her last year in the Elementary Academy. And apparently, there is a final exam for the fifth-year student. That’s a news for me.

“So, there is a final exam. What do you have to do?”

“There will be written exam for each subject, and then there are physical and magic practical exam.”

“What will you do for the magic practical exam?”

“It seems we have to cast two magic. One is predetermined, and the other one must be something that we haven’t learnt in class.”

“So, we have to learn a new magic ourselves?”

“Or you can try to create your own magic.”

That reminds me, didn’t Big Sis Viciny promised to teach me magic a couple years ago? Must have forgot it because all the stuff I learned from Academy.

“We can create new magic? Rather, you haven’t taught me how to use magic. Big Sis Viciny, didn’t you promise to teach me magic.”

“Did I? Ahaha, I’ll teach you tomorrow, okay. I still have to study and do my homework.”

“Hmmmph, you promise?”

“Fufu, you’re cute when you pout. Yes, I promise I will teach you magic tomorrow.”

“Okay then. It seems you’re really busy this year. We don’t play as often as we did usually.”

“First Plisia, and now you. Maybe I put too much time for studying. But I want to get good grades so I can get a recommendation for Advanced Academy.”

“Recommendation?”

“It appears that if you have good grades the Elementary Academy can recommend you to the Advanced Academy, so you can attend for free as if you pass the entrance exam.”

“We can get a recommendation for Advanced Academy? It’s the first time I’ve heard it.”

“They only told me that at the beginning of this year, so I think it’s normal.”

“Well, I’ll just pretend to be surprised when they tell me that. See you tomorrow, Big Sis Viciny. Good luck with your exams.”

Finally, I will learn how to use magic. Starting next year, I will also learn it at the Academy. This life is just getting better.

6