Vol 1 Chapter 6: Reunion with Beloved One
146 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a couple of months, we cover all the types of magic. For each type, we had a session for theory, followed by practice sessions. Most of the students in my group have already learnt how to cast simple spell.

After we have done practicing today, Miss Wyllt light a candle on the instructor table, walk away, and snap her finger. Again, the fire dies out.

“Now that you have learn the classification of magic spells, what type of magic did I used to turn of the candle?”

A girl that sit in the front row rise her hand.

“Erasure. You used your mana to erase the fire.”

“While it was indeed an erasure magic, I didn’t erase the fire. Instead, I erase the oxygen. You have learned that fire needs oxygen in physics right. But, I can also use emission or conjuration magic to blow a wind to the candle. Or alteration magic to lower the heat. The point is, you can use different magic to achieve the same goal.”

Well, in fact, I used control magic to blow out the candle a couple weeks ago, when she asked me to demonstrate.

“Now the other question is, how did I do that from here? There’s like one meter between me and the candle.”

“You extended your mana until it reached the candle?”

“That’s possible, but not what I did.”

Nobody answers. Even I don’t know how she did it. Big Sis Viciny didn’t teach me something like that. But then again, she only taught me like twice.

“The answer is I used raw mana. Raw mana is a form of mana that is not contained in a living being. It’s dispersed in the air. If you ever feel a heavy atmosphere in graveyard, that’s because all of those dead bodies release mana, and they accumulate over time. All of us release some amount of mana just by living, but we will cover that later on magic casting efficiency. For now, is there any question? Regarding the classification of magic types.”

Because next week we will have a test, many students ask something. I myself have something I have wanted to ask for a long time. After she answer someone’s question, I raise my hand.

“Mister Evanest.”

“Can we use magic to lock, say, a bag?”

“Sure, not that hard.”

“What type of magic is that?”

“Usually alteration or control. In fact, we have a class of spell that focuses on security system, but we won’t learn that here. Why did you ask?”

“Well, I have a backpack that can’t be opened, and my uncle and I think it’s because of magic.”

“So, you want to know how to open it. Why don’t you ask Miss Schedon? I’m sure she can help. You are neighbor, aren’t you?”

Big Sis Viciny? Why didn’t I think about that? She goes to Advanced Academy of Alchemy, so she must know how to unlock my backpack. I will ask her about it on weekend.

* * *

As soon as I wake up, I grab my backpack and head outside. As usual, Big Sis Viciny practice her mana control in her yard.

“Good morning, Big Sis Viciny. Can I ask a favor?”

“Good morning Marz. Sure, what’s up with the bag though?”

“This is my family’s heirloom, you see.”

“Is that so?”

She seems to be interested. Too bad, I lied about it being an heirloom.

“No, not really. Uncle Deim found it alongside me 9 years ago.”

“Oh, I remember. He carried a weird looking bag while Aunt Phoebe carried you. I was surprised when they came back from hunting with a baby. Didn’t think he would be a nice little brother.”

She said that with a warm smile while her hand pet my head. It feels nice.

“Do you want me to take a look at it?”

“Yes. You see, from the time Uncle Deim found it, it can’t be opened. It seems to be locked by magic.”

“And you want me to unlock it, right?”

“I want you to teach me how to use the lock. It would be cool to have a backpack that has a magic lock system.”

“Okay, time to put what I learnt in security enchantment class into action. Let me see.”

Big Sis Viciny start inspecting the backpack. After a while, she seems to know something.

“I think it uses a simple lock magic, but it also has identifying magic on it. The lock magic alone is quite simple to use, you just need to make your mana lock the bag and the use your mana again to change the state of the lock. But because it has identifying magic, it’ll only work with certain someone’s mana, usually the one who cast it.”

“How can it know who try to open it?”

“Everyone’s mana is different. I don’t quite understand, but you can identify the caster by looking at the mana trace.”

Is it something like fingerprint or DNA? I’m sure she won’t understand those things, so I won’t ask her.

“So, I just have to imagine my mana unlocks it, right? Is altering magic okay?”

I’ll believe that that goddess created a mechanism that I can use.

“Yeah, that will do. But are you sure your mana work? I mean for the identifying magic”

“We won’t know until we try.”

I touch the zipper’s sliders and imagine my mana open a knot that ties them both. I get a reaction, like a little snap on my finger. I try to slide the zipper, and my backpack opens. Inside, there’s a space without wall. I’m not sure how will I use it to store my stuffs, but at least I can open it now.

“Why did it react to your mana? Is that your bag after all?”

“Well, Uncle Deim gave it to me so I guess it’s mine now.”

“Heeh, well, as long as you’re happy, I guess it’s fine.”

“Do I have to use magic when I close it or will it lock itself?”

I close the backpack without letting out any mana and hand it over to Big Sis Viciny. She opens the backpack easily. I didn’t think about it, but what will happen if someone knows about my backpack?

Big Sis Viciny take a peek at the interior.

“Looks like you have to lock it every time.”

“Oh. Okay. Will do.”

When I take a look, the interior is that of a normal backpack. Does that mean I have to be the one that open it to use its infinite space? I close the backpack and open it again. It’s still a normal backpack. Does it mean I have to unlock it from the lock state? I still have to experiment my backpack to use its full potential. But at least, I can finally carry my backpack again.

4