Vol 1 Chapter 11: Big Leap for New Party
97 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we’re about to leave the cave, an enormous wolf appears from one of the passages. Its height is probably more than one and a half meter, taller than Luna. Its body covered with black fur, blending perfectly with the background of dark passageway. Pair of glinting yellow eyes glare at us as if looking at a bunch of prey.

Dire wolf is one of the animals that doesn’t exist in my previous world. Unlike the one that’s already extinct in my world, this one can grow as tall as an adult human. Because of their size, it’s said that dire wolves don’t fear human as regular wolves do.

We take a couple steps back while keeping an eye on it. In response, it makes one step forward, dipping its paw into the pond. Given the depth of the pond, it won’t be a problem for the wolf to run across it.

“This is bad.”

“Yes, I agree.”

“What is it, Terran, Venus?”

“This guy has control over his mana.”

“Which mean, it may be able to use magic.”

Hermes seems surprised by Terran and Venus’ observation, but Luna and I can keep our calm. Although it’s not classified as magical beast, animal that can use some form of magic, there are some cases of dire wolf using magic being recorded.

“Terran, do you think the passage you used to get here would be too narrow for that wolf?”

Hermes has regained his composure and asked Terran that question. True, if we were to run to the passage we used earlier, it would be able to chase us.

“I think so. I can also make the entrance narrower with my magic.”

“Okay, we will make a run for it.”

“Then, Venus, can you make some smoke to block its vision?”

“Sure, but remember it can use magic, and we don’t know what it’s capable of.”

“It’s okay, if it charges toward us, I’ll do something about it.”

Terran assured Venus. It seems his magic really has a wide range of variety.

“Then, here we go.”

Venus use her staff to create a blast of smoke in front of the wolf. At the same time, we rush to the passage that Terran and Luna used earlier. The wolf seems to notice our movement, as it leaps toward us, creating a splash. As a response, Terran tap the bottom of his staff to the ground. A wall of stone emerges from the floor, blocking the wolf. It only takes seconds for the wolf to tear down the wall, but it's enough for us to reach the passage. Terran drag his staff along the wall while running, seemingly using his magic, as the entrance of the passage becomes narrower. Realizing the passage is too narrow, the wolf stops chasing us and howls.

As the danger has passed, we slow down our pace.

“So Vita, uh… Terran, where does this passage leads to?”

“A chamber, bigger than the one before.”

“Hey Venus, how come you’ve never called us with our first name?”

Hermes interrupted the conversation, resulting in Venus’ face reddened. I don’t know whether she’s blushing or angry, but I’m sure she’s going to yell at him.

“Shut up… Hermes.”

“What was that?”

I guess Hermes didn’t catch that, but I’m pretty sure she just called him Hermes.

“I said shut up. Anyway, ahem, Terran, Luna, where did you enter the cave?”

Oh, that’s right. The nearest city gate from the cave should be the south gate. How did we pass each other?

“There’s an entrance near the east gate.”

“Huh? Aren’t the east gate closed?”

“True, but there’s this hole on the gate. Luna found it a few days ago, right Luna?”

“Ye-yes. Luna found it when Luna was hunting. Luna thought the size would fit us, so Luna told big brother about it.”

“Yeah, since they check the gate’s condition about every other week, we gave it a try. Ah, here’s the chamber.”

After walking in a narrow passageway, we reach the chamber that Terran mentioned. It sure is bigger than the one before. It’s about a size of basketball court, although there’s no basketball in this world. And unlike the chamber before, there’re no magic crystal on the wall. There’s also no body of water. But what bother me the most is a pile of bones on the corner of the chamber.

“Hey Terran, Luna, what’s that?”

“Uh, it’s been there since we passed by this chamber earlier.”

“From the shape of the skull, it seems to be bones of sheep.”

“Sheep? What are sheep doing in a cave? No, why would Luna know such a thing??”

As Hermes asked those questions, I realize something.

“Luna, about the hole on the city’s east gate, how big is it?”

“Huh? Big enough for big brother to passed it without stooping down.”

“Is it big enough for a, say, dire wolf like earlier, to pass through it.”

“Uhh, it seems so.”

“Why do you ask, uh… Marz?”

Wow, Venus really try to get warmer with us. But more importantly,

“Is it possible that, that dire wolf from earlier, after claiming this cave as its den, entered the city by the east gate, slaughtered shepherds’ sheep, and keep the stock here?”

Everyone falls silent. It’s just my guess, and even if it’s true, we don’t really have anything to do with it. But if that’s really what happened, it would explain the quests for wolves’ extermination.

“But if that’s what happen, shouldn’t there be a report of dire wolf sighting?”

“Terran is right. Even though the farm is near the forest, someone would notice if there were a dire wolf roaming around.”

Terran and Venus have a point. It would take times to kill a herd of sheep, and someone should notice the event, especially since it’s a dire wolf. When I’m about to say something, Terran and Venus suddenly turn around and raise their staffs. Terran tap the ground with his staff, creating a stone wall, which crumble soon after with a collision sound. Venus immediately follows by firing a fireball in the same direction, hitting something in the air.

“I guess we just find the answer.”

“What happened, Terran?”

The fire, which now floating in the air, moves back and forth quickly. When it dies out, a big wolf slowly appears in its place out of nothing. Surprised by the scene, Hermes, Luna and I grab our weapon.

“A dire wolf? How did it appear out of nowhere?”

“I guess it can use magic to become invisible. I sensed its magic but didn’t react quickly enough. If Terran didn’t cast his magic in time, we would be their meals by now.”

“Uh, ‘their’?”

As Hermes become confused, the dire wolf in front of us howl. As if to response, two other howls are heard from our left and right. That’s right, we forgot an important fact. Wolves live in a pack.

On our left, from a wide passageway, a dire wolf with yellow eyes comes out. When I look at the wolf in front of us again, I realized its eyes are chestnut colored. It’s also slightly smaller than the one we have met earlier. The one on our right is clearly smaller than the other two, though it’s still larger than a normal wolf, and it is standing in front of the passageway leading outside.

“Looks like we have no choice but to fight them. Can they all use magic?”

“The smallest one doesn’t seem to be able to control its mana. It’s probably the offspring of the other two.”

That’s a little relief. Even with five of us, taking down three invisible wolves would be difficult. Even though they seem to be intelligent, dire wolf is still an animal. It shouldn’t be able to grasp complex concept like optic and light, so it’s most likely an alteration magic.

“We have to mark them somehow. Venus, Terran, any idea?”

“I can’t think of anything other than fire.”

“Luna can use her arrow to mark them.”

“Ye-yes! Luna will try.”

“Then Venus, Luna, and I will take care of these big ones. Marz, Terran, can you take care of our exit route?”

“We can try. Terran, if it were to move swiftly, can you stop its movement?”

“I have several magic that should work.”

“Then we’re fine.”

“Good. Venus, Luna let’s focus on these two.”

“Yes!”

“Don’t you order me around, Hermes.”

And so, our fight against three dire wolves begin.

* * *

“You two try to mark and immobilized them, I’ll deal the finishing blow.”

“I told you, don’t order me around.”

Despite saying so, Venus shoot a fireball at the wolf in front of them. The wolf evades it by moving sideways, but the fireball explode and create flares, surprising the wolf. Right after shooting the fireball, she pointed her staff to the other wolf, which has started running in their direction, and create a wall of flame surrounding the wolf. Luna tries to shoot the wolf in front of them while it’s surprised by the fireball’s explosion, but it manages to evade and turn invisible.

“Damn, we haven’t marked it.”

“No, Luna managed to scratch it. We can-”

Before Venus can finish her sentence, Hermes moves swiftly to the front of her and raises his sword. It makes a clink as if blocking a strike of swords.

“Huh?”

“Luna, Shoot!”

Following Hermes’ instruction, Luna shoot an arrow to the air in front of Hermes. The arrow stops midair and a howl is heard. The wolf starts to get visible. Its claws clashed with Hermes’ blade over his head.

“Let’s do this quickly.”

Hermes pushes the claws away and slash his sword, beheading the wolf. Venus approaches Hermes.

“How did you-”

“I saw its wound approaching you. Looks like it can’t turn its wound invisible.”

“Uh… thank you…”

“What did you say?”

“No-Nothing. The flame around the other wolf will go out soon.”

When the flame disappears, the wolf is nowhere to be seen. Venus looks dejected.

“Ah, even though it can’t walk through, it has more than enough time to activate its magic. Then, what about this.”

Venus created a fog on half of the chamber.

“There!”

Noticing an unnatural movement of the fog, Luna shoot an arrow. It hits the wolf, resulting in its magic starting to wear off.

“There you are!”

Venus shoot a fireball at the dire wolf as Hermes runs toward it. He cut through the wolf’s neck soon after it get hit by the fireball.

“Damn, this sword cuts really nice.”

* * *

“Terran, please stop its movement when it gets close to me.”

“Sure but, where are your daggers? Are you going to approach it empty-handed?”

“I got them right here.”

I raise my arms, which would look like holding nothing. The truth is, I have improved my invisibility magic so I can cast it to a moving object. In other word, I can turn my weapons and even myself invisible.

“Here I go.”

As Terran concentrate to prepare his magic, I run off toward the wolf. As I can’t run as fast as Hermes, it can easily evade my approach. Sensing that my intent is to fight it instead of trying to exit the cave, it moves away from the passageway. When I stop, it immediately leaps toward me. However, when it’s just a few centimeters away from me, two things happen. First, Terran cast his magic and tangle the wolf’s legs with vines, stopping its movement. Second, I make myself invisible right before I evade. When the wolf is bewildered, I swing my dagger, which I myself can’t actually see, and cut the wolf’s neck. Its body goes limp and fall.

“You’re not the only one who can become invisible.”

As I speak to myself, everyone approaches me. Looks like Hermes and the other has just finished too.

“Hey, Marz, did you turn invisible too?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Remember the magic that I did during the exam last year? I’ve improved it so I can use it on myself.”

“What magic?”

“I told you Marz, it’s pointless to tell him to remember things from last week, let alone last year. Anyway, it’s cool.”

“Thanks, but Terran’s magic is also useful.”

“Haha, you’re flattering me. Well, Luna is better at archery than I’m good at magic though.”

“Th-that’s not true, Big Brother! Your magic has helped us many times. Besides, Luna did miss when Luna tried to shoot the wolf that was startled by Big Sis Venus’s magic.”

“No, you don’t. If you hadn’t graze it, Hermes wouldn’t notice it, and I don’t want to imagine what would happen to me then.”

“And you did hit them, and when they’re invisible at it. You should be more proud of yourself Luna. It would be nice to have a party member like you.”

After hearing Hermes words, an idea pops into my head.

“Hey Terran, Luna, have you decided your party yet?”

“It’s only two of us for now.”

“If you don’t mind, would you form a party with us?”

I ask while looking at Hermes and Venus.

“That’s a good idea.”

“Yeah, I agree.”

Since Hermes and Venus agree, it’s up to Terran and Luna now.

“So, what do you say?”

“Well, I think that’s not a bad idea. What do you think, Luna?”

“Yeah, Luna agree.”

“Then it’s a deal.”

And now, our party is complete.

3