Chapter 3; Corky’s
62 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Notes from Emmy:
Hi all. So sorry I've been so horrible about updating my stories this week. It's been one thing after another, with a friend of mine losing one of his partners to her heart condition', depression kicking me relentlessly in the face over and over while taunting me, and a general sense of "everything sucks" right now that hasn't let me go. Please don't worry, I'm not abandoning either of my stories. I'm just dealing with a lot at the moment. I'll snap out of it eventually, I always do.
As always, a special thanks to my Beta, (LunaWolf,) without whom these stories wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to read, and a thanks to my readers for being patient with me when I'm dealing with life.
I promise Chapter 9 of Cyberplex will be up in the next day or so, though it might be until next Saturdayish before you get Chapter 10, don't know, depends on how I'm holding up. But I will not abandon these stories.
Thanks all and I love every one of you!
Emmy Fox

Corky's was one of those local burger joints everyone loved more than the chains that tried in vain to get a foothold in their town. Pearla was no exception.

 

The girls slipped away from campus easily enough, then they made the four block walk on foot to Corky's. Appalled that Maerel had never eaten there, Pearla made sure to get the girl to order whatever she wanted. Once they got their trays and Pearla paid, the two found a table set back in a quiet corner, out of the way of other people and quiet enough that they could talk in piece.

 

Pearla stared across the table at the girl opposite from her, her gaze once again getting drawn to those eyes, those big beautiful, so blue and clear eyes that Pearla could get lost in. Strange, how not even an hour ago, those eyes shown with such an intense fear, and now Maerel was cool and collected. Still though, why was she afraid of someone finding out about the marks on her neck? It wasn't like Pearla was going to go telling anyone, and her reaction clearly told Pearla that those weren't love making marks, so what was the deal?

 

Out loud though, the tiger cleared her throat after chasing a bite down with some soda. "So, what do you do for fun?"

 

Maerel blinked and set her burger down and grabbed for a napkin to wipe her paws. "Don't laugh?"

 

"Of course not."

 

"I read a lot, but I like cartoons too. Used to watch them all the time, but we haven't had cable in, three years now?"

 

"No Cable? How the hell do you stand it?”

 

Maerel's eyes shifted upward as she answered. "Actually, it's not that bad once you get used to it. the first month was the worst, but then I started reading more, and ever since, I've just liked reading. Still try to watch some things online though."

 

Pearla took another bite then swallowed. "Don't you like, go outside or anything like that?"

 

"Why? It’s not like I have anyone to hang around with," The Fox said bitterly as she picked up her burger again and took a bite. "Mmm, this burger has got to be the best I've ever had."

 

"Wait, so you don't have cable, you don't go outside much, and you read? That's what you do for fun?" At Maerel's nod Pearla continued. "But, what about sleep overs, girls days out, things like that. Have you never done any of those things?"

 

"No," Maerel said, fidgeting with her straw as she answered.

 

"Why though? I mean, I get the people at school aren't the best people in town, but you surely had to have friends growing up?"

 

"In third grade, I had a friend. The first time I asked if I could stay at her house, well... It didn't end well, let's just leave it at that."

 

Somewhere in the back of Pearla's mind, warning bells started to go off. Why was she so dodgy about her home life? Out loud though she asked, "So, what do you read for fun?"

 

"Oh my god you're going to laugh."

 

"Promise, I won't laugh at you."

 

Maerel ducked her head and blushed as she replied, "Romance novels for one."

 

"Really?"

 

"Well you’re not laughing at me, that's a plus."

 

"I'm just kind of surprised. You seem like the bookworm type, but I didn't think you were a romantic kind of girl."

 

Maerel took another bite of her burger then reached for a fry. "Well, there's other things. Fantasy, some thrillers, but I like stories that have a happy ending, and romance novels almost always have a happy ending."

 

"In more ways than one?" It slipped right out of Pearla's mouth before she could catch herself, but Maerel only giggled through her deepening blush.

 

Pearla finished her burger, all the while staring at Maerel who seemed not to notice. "Well, tell you what, I'm going to make it my mission to make sure you finally start having a bit of fun in life."

 

"You don't have to go out of the way for me, really," Maerel said.

 

"No, seriously, we are friends now, and I take care of the few friends I have. So, let's think, what would you like to do."

 

"What, I don't know, what do you mean?" It really was cute how the fox would get all flustered like this. Sad, but still cute.

 

"I don't know, what are some things you would want to do, you know, like if you could?"

 

Maerel raised one paw to her chin and rubbed it thoughtfully. "I don't know. Maybe a movie or something?"

 

"Okay," Pearla said as she moved her tray to one side and fished a tablet and pen from her bag. "Movies, check. What else?"

 

"Wait, you’re making a list?"

 

"Of course," said Pearla. "My grandparents call it writing a bucket list, things they want to do before they, like, kick the bucket, so I figure we're going to get a head start on them, by like fifty years. That way, we make sure you have as much fun as possible."

 

"That's a bit morbid."

 

"I know, but hey, I'm goth, remember?"

 

"Well, alright then. How about skating. I've never been skating."

 

"Really? Okay, skating," Pearla scribbled in her tablet. "Ice or regular?"

 

"How about both?"

 

"There you go, you're getting the hang of this." Another scribble.

 

"Oh, and maybe a theme park or something like that. Something with Rollercoasters. Wait, how are we going to do these things? I have no money," Maerel said, realizing the flaw in their plan.

 

"We don't worry about that now. First we write down the things you want to do, then we figure out how to make them happen."

 

Maerel slurped down the last of her soda then folded her paws on the table. "I don't know, feels kind of like wishing to me."

 

"And maybe it is, or maybe it's not. The point is Maerel, you've clearly not gotten out much. I want to try and fix that. So we make this wish list, then we see about getting some of these things done. Doesn't have to be all at once you know."

 

"Okay okay, you made your point," The fox said as she scratched the side of her neck, right where one of those welts had been that Pearla had noticed in the locker room. "How about..."

 

And so the next thirty minutes and a whole sheet of paper later, the girls had what Pearla titled, "Maerel's Living List.

 

"Okay, I'll hang on to this list, and when we can, we'll start knocking off things, alright?" Pearla declared as she slipped the tablet and pen back into her bookbag and zipped it up.

 

"Sounds good to me, but it still feels like wishing."

 

"What's wrong with wishing?" Pearla asked. But the moment she saw Maerel's eyes go distant, she realized that there were some things the fox just wouldn't budge on.

 

"Wishing has never gotten me anywhere," She said quietly.

 

"What do you mean?" Pearla asked.

 

"Never mind that. Can I ask you something?"

 

Pearla was going to say something sarcastic, but the timid way the fox was holding herself convinced her not to. "Yeah, what's up?"

 

Maerel rubbed her chin again in thought before speaking. "Why today, and why talk to me?"

 

Pearla smiled a genuine smile that she hoped was taken in the right way. "Because, you always seemed so alone, so not a part of everything and everyone else. I guess maybe I saw a little bit of me in you. But then you snapped at me, and I realized that you weren't just alone, you were shunned more than I've ever been. It's not right and it's not fair."

 

"So, you're doing all this because you feel sorry for me?" The hurt in her voice was evident and it was all Pearla could do to not give the smaller girl a hug.

 

"What, no, not at all. or, at least, not in the way you think." Pearla took a drink to give her a moment to think. "I feel bad for you yeah, but if I didn't genuinely like you, we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation. I feel bad that somehow you got robbed of so much, but that's not why we are friends. I think you are really cool and smart and..."

 

"and?" Maerel's eyes pinned Pearla to her seat with their intensity. God how can someone's eyes be so, beautiful?

 

"Well, I don't know if you want the compliment or not, but you're pretty?"

 

Maerel blinked those huge eyes of hers once, twice, a third time, then asked, "Pretty what?"

 

"You know, you're pretty, like I mean your eyes are so beautiful, and your hair is so strait and it fits you well, and your fur." Pearla gulped. "I think you get the idea."

 

"Wait, you're saying, I'm, pretty to you?" Maerel asked in disbelief.

 

"That is what I said, isn't it?" Pearla replied, not sure if the fox was either deaf or just that much in denial. She had to realize at least in some way that there was some truth to what Pearla was saying.  Maybe the twits in school hated on her simply because they were jealous of her looks. More than one time Pearla had overheard some of the more cattier of the girls remarking on how unfair it was that someone like Maerel was blessed with such perfectly white  fur.

 

"I guess so. I just don't get why you think that. I'm just, plain old me, the bookworm 'Snowy' weirdo that cries when she gets picked on. There's nothing pretty about me."

 

""I beg to differ, but that's just my opinion," said Pearla. "beauty isn't always about clothing or how much designer products you put on your body to attract the attention of others. Sometimes, it's the ordinary that is extraordinary."

 

Maerel burst out laughing  at that and though Pearla didn't get it, she laughed along with her because it was good to hear that musical sound coming from her.

 

"I'm sorry Pearla, but that sounded like you took it right out of one of my books," The fox said at last as she tried to regain her breath.

 

"Whatever..." Pearla replied while glancing up at the clock mounted on the wall by the casheer's counter. "Hey, look at that, school let out ten minutes ago."

 

Suddenly Maerel jumped. "What? Oh my god I have to get home, and I have to get home now..."

 

If it wasn't for the look of sheer panic on the other girls face, Pearla would swear she was being deflected. But as it was, she was content to play things by Maerel's lead, at least until she understood her a little more.

 

"Hey, before we go…" Pearla started as she pulled a blank flash-card from her bag. what's your number? Maybe I'll call you later?"

 

Maerel looked like she wanted to refuse, but she seemed to have thought better of it. She quickly gave Pearla the seven digit number that rang her house, and a moment later the tiger had her own number on another card that found its way into Maerel's bag.

 

"Listen though, whatever you do, please don't call me unless you know absolutely for sure that I'm home alone."

 

"How will I know that?" It was a weird request, another puzzle piece that didn't fit anywhere that Pearla could see on the board.

 

"I don't know. I'll call you, or I'll tell you at school when I know that it's safe to call. just, please don't call unless it's an absolute emergency." That fear was creeping back into those eyes of hers again. "Please Pearla."

 

"Okay, okay, I won't call. But meet me in the cafeteria tomorrow for breakfast?"

 

"Okay, I'll look for you. Oh, and Perla?" Maerel said as she hefted her bag over her shoulder and started towards the door.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Thank you for everything today." And before Pearla could say anything else, the shorter fox was out the door and off to where ever her home was, and in a hurry to get there. Just what was the deal with that girl?

 

Pearla stood, grabbed up her own bag, took her tray to the trash receptacle and tossed it, then headed out the same door that Maerel had gone out. Even as she searched the street for her new friend, she knew the fox was long gone. Oh well, hopefully she called tonight, and hopefully they could find each other in the confusing mess of bodies that was the cafeteria during breakfast tomorrow morning. For now though, Pearla had to get home herself. Gram would worry if she was out too long, and she hated making the kindly old lady worry for anything.

 

Turning towards her side of town, the tiger quickened her step and was off.

 

3