Chapter 8
138 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the demon kingdom.

Humans were gathered in a large room. Around a table sat the representatives who came to negotiate with the demons on the possibility of them selling their mana for goods.

The dwarfs who were master crafters had no need for them and the elves who loved to live among the forests of their lands didn't need them either.

What the elves required, were nature loving products. This was something that city-living humans couldn’t understand. It was therefore impossible to sell to them, large amounts of goods as they would reject such an offer on the grounds of not wanting to pollute their natural lands.

This left the demons as the last resort. Humans still surpassed demons in the creation of goods and dwarfs had no need to trade their crafts for mana or vice versa.

In order to hold these negotiations, they needed to talk to the demon king. The demons and the elves were both united under one ruler.

The demon king for the demons and the elven empress for the elves.

The dwarfs were ruled by the council to thirteen, while the humans were divided into kingdoms, dukedoms, and city-states. Their only uniting factor being the faith of the two goddesses.

As they waited they talked amongst themselves.

“Are they going to make us wait again? Not that I am complaining or anything.”

The first to speak was King Alex Von Capricorn. He was a man in his earlier fifties.

“Why are you always in a rush to do things…?” The one who spoke to him next was King Columbia Hon Heartland

“They have been making us run around in circles for weeks now. Just what are they thinking?”

“They are probably just trying to show their power. Every day we are bombarded with their finest food, music, and magic shows. Tch… They have so much mana they can even afford to use it for entertainment.”

“Hmm… It was entertaining but it makes me uneasy. If war between…”

“Such a thing would never happen. Remember the goddess forbade the war or actions that could lead to war. It is for that very reason we royalties of the race that all demons despise can be here on their home kingdom without fear.”

“You are right. They have been treating us nicely. Now that I think about it, perhaps they are delaying the negotiations as a means to insult us because they have no other way?”

Keeping royalty waiting was a huge insult but that was not the reason for their actions.

“Probably…”

“Haaa… I wish my citizens could feel this. Mana everywhere. Every time I use it without fear of the cost make me feel like I am going to cry.”

“I know how you feel. Ha... You have been quiet today… What do you think of all this? Witch of Foxhound?”

Upon being called out. The third person placed her teacup down and spoke. She was in her early forties but looked like she was in her late twenties. She had long blond hair, amazing blue eyes. Red lips and white soft skin.

She was the mother of Sofia and Susan.

Queen Helen M. Helena.

“There is no need for us to push the issue. The demon king will meet us after or during the next games.”

“Tsk…” King Columbia uttered

“So, they are going to negotiate when we are down in the gutter.”

“That does seem to be their plan. After the next game, our mana reserves will be beyond critical.”

Demons had the highest amount of mana. With 140 billion worth of MP. With so much mana at their disposal rather than rely on mana orbs to store, transfer and sell mana like humans. They let it flow naturally around their kingdom.

This was also true for elves. With 87 billion worth of MP. They could afford to let it also flow naturally through their lands.

In the past, some humans would sneak into their lands in the hopes of replenishing their mana.

In the demon kingdom, they were killed on sight.

In the elven kingdom, the men were killed while the women were made into prostitutes until they were pregnant then shipped back to the human domain.

Dwarfs had 45 billion worth of mana but they too used mana orbs. Dwarfs only need mana when they made magical artifacts. These artifacts like swords, bows, and armor were what the dwarfs used to fight and could store a large volume of mana when fully charged. For this reason, there was no need to have mana flow freely.

Last were the humans with 400 million MP.

If the whole world were one city, the human district would be the slums.

Humanity was on its last legs. The heroes they had summoned were the last ones they could afford.

Some questioned as to whether it was worth the effort but the pope had no other choice. The higher-ups of the faith pushed for it. Like compulsive gamblers, they believed that this time they would win. They would find that one diamond in the rough hero who would save humanity.

“They are going to wait until we are crawling on our feet then make us lick their boots.” Queen Helen said coldly.

“Including the demon king, there are many who were alive when humanity tried to unite the races. I am sure they would like nothing more than to see humanity dead or enslaved.” King Alex added

“True. I personally don't have faith in the heroes but if the demons are planning on making us walk in circles then we should use that to our advantage. How are things on your end?”

“Our heroes are training with top-rank adventures. In the past we would have restricted them on the use of their mana but as you have suggested, we will have them go all out and once their mana is depleted they will sail on a ship to here where they will replenish it.” King Columbia answered

“As expected of the Witch of foxhound. Only you could have thought of such a thing. By registering the heroes as part of the delegation beforehand they will be able to live and enter the demon kingdom as long as we are here.”

“There is no need to praise me. I simply wanted us to use the situation to our advantage; that being said, you remember what we agreed on?”

“If anyone our hero wins the next goddess game we are hand over one-third of our mana to Helena. That is what we agreed on, right?”

The odds of a hero wining a game were virtually 0, but the queen was not taking any chance. If anyone of them managed to win she wanted a share of the spoils.

Should a human hero win. The faith would receive the mana and distribute it to the other kingdoms, dukedoms and city-states. There was one exception to this. The wining hero's host kingdom would automatically receive one third of the reward, which was a huge amount of mana for any one kingdom.

“Yes. I, in return, will lend you my strength in these negotiations and take the hero of the goddess Delphi under my care.”

Originally Capricorn was supposed to take Nakimo and Heartland was supposed to lead the delegation. Not feeling up to the task, they both went to Helen to make this deal.

“Don’t worry… We will honor our arrangement.”

Hmm… The demon king is playing for time but I wonder if that is all he is planning, Queen Helen thought to herself as she continued to drink her tea.

***

Meanwhile, in another part of the castle, the demon king welcomed one of his aides into his office.

“How are the human’s doing?” he asked.

He had white hair with a dash of silver. He had clear brown eyes. He was clearly physically fit and his face was handsome, to say the least.

If Nakimo had met him he would call him an ikemen.

“They play us for fools. They think that we don’t know that they are using this chance to have their heroes fill their mana here. It is disgusting how they look down on us even in this situation.”

“You’re wrong. I seriously doubt that they are looking down on us nor are they trying to hide anything. They are simply using the situation to their advantage. It must be the work of that woman.”

“You mean the Queen of Helena? I guess she really is a cunning one.”

“Don’t underestimate her…”

“Don’t worry once our puppet is in…”

Before his aide could speak another word, the demon king slammed her into the wall.

Her face went pale. She could feel the killing intent he was giving. She was scared, very scared.

“How many times have I told you to watch that mouth of yours?”

“So-Sorry.”

“Ever since you foolishly blabbed to the humans as to why they only received two golden orbs I told you that I would end your life if you talked carelessly again.”

“But we are alone…”

“What difference does that make? Never utter what unnecessary things again…”

“Understood… big brother.”

In the goddess realm, one goddess looked at what was transpiring with suspicion...

6