chapter 27
287 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helen was researching with Colin in a private room. They were supposed to be researching magic, however, they were discussing matters of tax and territorial governance.

Helen had presented all the documents to Colin as nothing more than theory papers with dummy data.

In reality, they were the same documents used by her father.

She often helped her father in matters concerning their household’s territory and other national affairs.

Her father was busy trying to figure out the financial power of noble knights. If their financial power matched or surpassed that of the three dukes. The royal family will have the means to regain control of the faction.

This was no easy task to accomplish. He first needed to figure out just how much wealth the three dukes and their allies were hiding.

He then needed to figure out just how much wealth the lower nobility was hiding. Noble knights could only marry ladies from baron or viscount houses.

These houses often demanded payment to allow their daughters to marry noble knights. Figuring how much they had received over the last two years will enable him to estimate the financial wealth of noble knights as a whole.

Noble knights weren’t taxed and the merchants who oversaw the labyrinth never kept records.

This was the only solution he had come up with until…

“Helen?”

“Father?”

“Who is this?”

“This Colin. He is the one who saved the princess.”

“Good afternoon sir.” Colin greeted while bowing his head

“Hmm… When was the last time I saw a young man who showed such respect for their elders?”

“Father… You have to see this…”

“What is it?” he asked before frowning.

The documents on the table weren’t documents you could just show anyone.

“Catherine… Explain…” he demanded in a firm voice.

“Father… Listen… We have been conducting various forms of research using this dummy data.”

“Dummy data?”

“Yes…”

I see… Then this young boy must think that these documents are no different from any other document, but still, it was reckless of her to show them to him. I hope there is a good reason for doing so.

“Father, look here.”

“This is?”

“New farming techniques or rather old farming techniques for growing various crops without damaging the soil.”

“Eh?”

Hillthorn households had large tracks of farmland that they cultivated for hundreds of years. However, in recent years the soil became weak and they like many other noble households had to rely on magic.

This was, however, very costly to implement.

They had been trying to find another solution to their problem but failed to do so.

“Hmm… Where did you get this solution from?”

“Colin came up with it…”

“Is that true?” Keith asked

“Yes… or rather, this what we have been using in our territory for hundreds of years.”

Hmm… Now that I think about it, noble knights domains never ask for food aid. Could it be that they solved this problem long ago?

“Also… Look at this?”

“What is it?”

“They call them water wheels. They use them for irrigation and…”

Helen explained every solution Colin had shown her in detail. Keith was all inspired by the brilliance of these solutions, however, he wasn’t as dense as not notice the sparkle in his daughter’s eyes.

“You seem happy Helen.”

“Eh? Why would say something like that out of nowhere.”

“No reason...”

“Would like some tea?” Colin offered.

“I graciously accept your offer,” Keith answered before drinking the tea. “Hmm… This is?”

“It is not just the tea father… The snack too.”

When Keith looked at the snacks present he realized that they were all high quality from famous merchant stores.

“Did you order these in advance?”

“No… I picked them directly from the store.”

“Eh?”

“Is something the matter?”

Keith knew some of the stores that offered the treats that were present. If you didn’t order a week beforehand… It would impossible to get your hands on them.

Seeing her father perplexed Helen provided an answer.

“It seems many of the high-end shops offer a special service for noble knights.”

“Is that so?”

“I don’t know if you can call it special. We pay for what we require and they give us our goods in return.”

“Eh… You don’t put it on credit?”

“Credit? What is that?”

Don’t tell me that noble knights pay for these items in cash?

Nobles usually purchased goods on credit and paid for them later…

While the nobles thought that it was only natural to do so, many non-noble merchants felt like they were being ripped off.

They too had others they had to pay. If the noble didn’t pay them on time then they would have to folk out the expense from their own pockets.

Noble knights, however, paid upfront, and because of the ridiculous requests of their noble ladies they usually ordered expensive stuff.

For these merchants, noble knights were a god sent.

If they pay for these items in cash then maybe I can…

“Catherin, I leave it in your hands. Do as wish… I am off to see to other matters.”

“Yes father”

“Colin…”

“Yes Sir.”

“I leave my daughter in your hands.”

“Father!” Helen cried while blushing

“Take care Helen,” Keith uttered before leaving.

6