Chapter 10: Settling Accounts
77 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In all of the Divine Wood continent, the Azure Sky kingdom was only a tiny being.

In truth, it only occupied a single small stretch of land, tucked out of the way at the corner of the massive continent. Even if it was the lowest kingdom, it was still had at least 200,000 km2 within its borders.

In terms of power within the kingdom, not much had changed in the last hundred or so years.

The Royal family stood at the top supported by the two pillars of the Ren family. Next came the three prominent families followed by the other minor nobles and the four large trading firms. The small trading firms had slightly more authority than ordinary citizens.

As such, the word of Ren Yao was second only to the word of the Royal family itself.

His father, the current Lord Ren, was serving as the prime minister, advising and counselling the current Emperor as and when required. Under his guiding hand, the people of the Azure Sky kingdom and its commerce were flourishing.

His Grandfather, the Patriarch of the Ren family, had the honour of commanding the kingdoms entire military as the Grand General.

Thanks to his skill and years of experience, the borders were well defended, and the kingdom was peaceful.

Compared to those illustrious elders, the past Ren Yao was indeed a no good son.

The runner returned eventually, bringing with him a couple of out of breath, elderly gentlemen. Just as they were wiping off the sweat from their brows, they noticed the tied up figure on the floor. Seeing Dian Nanhai bound and gagged the faces of the two older men paled.

How could their stupid junior kick the largest iron plate around?

They went to open their mouths to try to salvage the situation when a single raised a finger stopped them cold.

“I’m in no mood for pointless talk or flattery. Tell me directly how much that is worth to you, and I’ll decide if its fair compensation.”

In truth, Dian Nanhai was heir to one of the kingdom’s most significant trading firms, and on a good day, he could make the profit rain from above. He merely had a small problem.

Whenever he was drunk, he would say whatever was in his heart and act upon the fire in his belly.

Like he had eaten a catty of bear hearts and leopard galls.

His pride and false bravado had cost the firm in the past, and they reprimanded for it, but since the spot for Number one debauchee in the Capital had opened up, it seemed as though every day he was trying his hardest to fill it.

Seeing the elders falter Ren Yao scoffed and waved them off.

“Xiao Wan handles my accounts.”

The two elders turned their heads to see a fresh-faced teen standing domineeringly across the table with his arms folded across his chest, grinning at them foolishly.

Ren Yao was still enjoying his wine when a joyful cry broke the silence, and the young servant came rushing to his side. He turned to glance at the piece of paper in Xiao Wan's hands.

The two old men had signed a promissory note for a large sum.

“Send half the men to go receive our payment. We’ll depart once they return.”

“Ha!”

With a salute half of the Black Tiger guards filed out of the inn and headed in the direction of the Dian family firm’s largest storefront. An ecstatic Xiao Wan poured himself a congratulatory cup of wine, while the two frail old men helped a sorry looking Dian Nanhai stagger down the stairs.

Mid-afternoon was quickly approaching as one score of black armoured men came jogging back to the Water Lily inn transporting several large chests.

They settled accounts with the inn, threw in a little something extra, and loaded up the palanquin once more. Now seated opposite the Young Lord were the spoils of his extortion, each laden full of silver taels.

Thankfully the last errand on his list of things to do today didn’t require leaving the carriage, and after a few coins changed hands, it was parked in the VIP area of the large open aired amphitheatre.

The capitals largest slave market.

Of course, the auction houses also offered slaves, but that was only at special events or when they received a batch of very high-quality slaves.

Ordinary slaves were bought and sold here on a day to day basis.

Like they were cheap livestock.

There were generally several categories of slaves.

You had your criminal slaves and your debt slaves who were the cause of their downfall. There were war slaves and those whose families sold them off themselves, the victims of circumstance. Regardless men, woman, young and old all were here for the purchase.

Ren Yao knew precisely what he required.

After watching several parades of people pass through, he had Xiao Wan summon one of the salespeople.

They quickly assured him that what he was interested in would be in the third lot from the end. Satisfied, Ren Yao watched the large open-air auction continue.

“Honoured customers, the next lot is exceptional. Every one of these girls has been certified pure. We guarantee it. They are all in the first flush of youth and very amenable to… a little training.”

“our bidding starts at 100 taels of silver.”

The portly gentleman on the stage announced with the same pomp and ceremony that he had announced the last seven slave lots as he indicated the first girl. They dressed each girl on stage in a simple white gown that was almost see through. The women didn’t dare to make even a peep under the hawk-like gaze of several burly guards.

“100.”

“110.””120.””130.””150.”

It was a furious bidding war between several parties dotted around the theatre. With a quick prompt, Xiao Wan raised it again.

“200.”

“210.””220.””240.””300.”

An elderly man in a black scholarly robe stood up.

“Friends that little girl is the perfect gift for my nephew’s birthday. I hope you can give me, Elder Fan, some face.”

Several patrons greeted him back, their tacit agreement a thin veil for trying to gain favour with House Fan.

“So its Elder Fan, Hahaha of course, of course.”

“I hope Young Master Fan enjoys his gift.”

“400!”

A lascivious looking fat man in garish red robes snorted and maliciously raised the price again.

“When this Fatty Tang sets his eyes on something, naturally no one can stop him.”

He licked his lips crudely and continued to undress all the girls on the stage with his eyes.

Elder Fan snorted himself in frustration and decided to let the matter rest, shallowing the humiliation in deference to the Tang family's name.

He’d concede here but no further.

“1000 silver taels.”

1