Barbarian, old man, perfectionist chef.
46 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Golden irises finer than the finest of gold, I wonder whether the sun above is merely an imitation of them, with obsidian colored rings adorning their outline, They were of unmatched beauty and charm. It was said that whatever he felt could be seen through them, whether it was a burning fury that could scare the toughest of soldiers or a warm light of hope that could melt the coldest of ice. - Tales of a wandering bard.

...

POV:? 

As I walked through the long, empty corridors i found myself wondering why were they devoid of any semblance of luxury, rarely were there wards guarding or patroling certain area, was it not for its clean state i would ve wondered if this castle was uninhabited, seeking an answer, i asked the servant leading me.

"Why is it this empty, desolate of any semblance of life?" 

A short laugh that lasted a few seconds, following a cough, they answered.

"Ah, it came to me that you spent most of your life outside Oribes, it is only normal that you do not know of the habits of the Saharan emperor. He thought the paintings were ugly, and so he tore them, he thought of gold and silver as dirt, and so there is no more of them, he terrified those that dared to steal from him, such as no one dares to do so anymore" 

They took a breath, pointed at the red, almost blood-like carpet, then continued.

"Look, this carpet we walk on is made of 32 animal hides, Of Which 3 were demigod level figures, an ancient dragon, a purebred redmoon wolf, and a royal lion, they were caught, skinned alive and then for the duration of a hundred days, we kept on squeezing warm blood from them, their screams and howls kept on resounding throughout the capital, only getting more and more intense each day, then those hides were soaked in their blood for a hundred days where we only used the freshest and warmest of blood."


In silence, we resumed our walk.


...


Pov:???

"My dear father, I fear that the duchy may change name soon" 

"Why is that so?" 

"They are thriving and developing quickly, I was told of the richness of their peasants, they eat all kind of meat and drink wine that the poorer nobles would have treasured,I fear that in a few generations, they may surpass us"

"What do you suggest we do, my dear daughter? I have to remind you that the richer they are the richer we get."

"But they are amassing wealth in haste, keep in mind that now they have a huge influence upon merchants and businessman, as such that they deem of value would be treated as the most precious, and of what they deem of no value, it becomes cheaper then dirt."

"That's true, however what can we do? We can not take them in for most of what we have they have and of the few things they don't would be the title of a duke which we cannot afford to lose, and were we to fight them we'd suffer a huge loss and i'm afraid we cannot handle the consequence"

"What about the barbarians of Oribes ? Were we to engage with them, promising them fertile land and food while reminding them of the danger House of Versar im sure they'd fight along us"

"Ah my dear child, were we to invite that beast to our homeland, i fear that once they step upon our enemies, they'd turn their target toward us"

...


The duke of Pensia, Adam the II, was a bright lord during his prime, he excelled at whatever he did, he was learned, wise and a good leader, he bought his soldiers to victories one after the other, however, with the passage of time, the ferious tiger grew senile and became a kitten, afraid of rain and wind, afraid of what consequence his choices would bring, afraid of failure and a stain upon his golden record.

I'm afraid my dear father would have to give up his place.

...

Pov: head butler of the Versar household, Akivien.


"CUT THEM THINLY!" 

"Yes sir, yes chef!"

"Is that your definition of thinly cut? Start over." 

"Y-yes chef, sorry chef!"


As I walked toward the kitchen I heard those sounds, through the second time, the cook apprentice's voicen was cracking as if they were on the verge of crying.

As I approached, the door keeper were about to announce my presence but i hushed them, I rarely come to places like the kitchen, only few times a year to cheek on the servants, however this time I came with another purpose, I heard that the new chef lasted for three straight months, in other household it's normal for good chefs to work for decades, but here rarely they do so.

Just like the current Marchioness, I heard that the previous lords were picky eaters, they demanded the best of the best, such as they always tried to make food the most suitable for their preferences, whether it was obnoxious, bizzare or full of rare ingredient, should they like it, they would have it served at their tables, I wonder if it is hereditary.

I heard the new chef, Maricio, is a graduate from Tero's magic academy that ranks among the top 50 in the empire, and top 3 in the territory of Vienes.

 It's rumored that they excelled at mathematics, and Maricio was their top graduate.

As i observed the way he works, i came to the conclusion that this person is a perfectionist, at least when he is cooking, he cuts with admirable precision and were he to fall, he'd start over and over and over, until each cut is seemingly of the same size and weight throughout the process he injured his fingers a few times, though, he only stopped for a few moments to bandage the wounds, he did so with utmost familiarity.

I now know the reason why he is still here, this man expects the best from himself, and only presents the best of what he do.

!flashback!

"Butler, fire the chef."

"But my lady, it been only a three days since they came here."

"His food is not to my taste, please fire him." 

"Then my lady excuse me for asking, but why do you fire cookes constantly, almost every few days? As I remember this one recently graduated from the best cooking academy in the whole empire, where can we find a finer chef?"

"Ah, he did well indeed, he presented me with his best plates on the first day, it was to my satisfaction, however during the second day, although the food was good, it was not as good as the first days', during the third day, it became worse, it feels like."

She tapped lightly upon the wooden desk while humming, then continued.

"It feels like a rich man gradually getting poorer and poorer, i do not like the feeling of such as they say it is easy to go from frugality to luxury while the opposite perfectly mirrors it."

...

A/N: 

Hello hello, I don't know how to mm use the author note bluey thing so I'm just typing here. I am sorry if this chapter felt inecessary, but i wanted to show a side from each character I deem important to the story, plus so i dont forget about them! 




















1