Flowing sand
40 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thought may lie, feelings may lie too, so don't delve deep into them, rather let them come your way.

Book of end.

...

I woke up in a room, a guest room.

I looked at the window, just by my side, the windows were so pretty, and the scene beyond was more then so.

Today was a sunny day.

I looked at the ceiling, I felt my mind go blank, empty.

I liked this feeling, so I stayed this way for a few seconds.

I moved my body, leaned my upper body forward and then supported it with my arms, which inaturally felt so weak.

I took my time to ponder on this question, however I found no answer.

And so I threw these thoughts to the back of my head.

I stood up from the bed, then looked down.

I found a ray of light passing by, and so I leaned in intending to touch it with my hands.

Oh, it feels warm.

Just as I got used to its temperature, it changed from a warm sensation to a burning one.

My body told me to take my hand away from it, but I, feeling curious, chose to not do so.

I waited and waited, seconds passed by, then minutes however it did not change.

Constant.

As my curiosity faded away, my body's instect took control.

And so I slowly took my hand away.

The last bit of my curiosity told me to take a look at the results of this experience.

I looked at my palm, and there it, a burn mark.

Oh, I poked it, nothing happened, that is if ignoring the slight shiver it sent to my spin.

I decided to lick it, it felt like a not so cooked steak.

No different from an animal are we? 

Or were we eating of our kind?

I felt my lips go upward, I am smiling.

A sigh, then a weird feeling came to my mind.

It felt like my mind is shivering in excitement and anticipation.

Let's keep those feelings away.

I looked right, a wall, Then left.

Ah, we found it, a mirror just facing the window.

I came to the conclusion that a mirror is more likely to reflect light than stone right?

Yes, seems so.

And so I walked toward it, and soon after a few steps I was just looking at my reflection.

I took my hand, and touched it's surface.

It felt warm, warm.

Then burning.

What's next? 

It just kept on getting more and more hot, and the burning sensation got higher.

Until I could not perceive the difference.

I took my hand up, looked toward my palm, the same results, only this time the burnt area was larger.

Disappointed, I choose to focus on something else, and yet here it is.

My reflection, unclear, at least the upper body is hard to distinguish.

It must be the light.

Only my eyes, they were bright, dim, Sharp, yet soft.

Oh, so pretty.

I lowered my head, and looked at my arms.

Lines that differ in thickness, in color danced on my skin.

They looked as if stationary yet moving at the same time.

Some were dark red, some bright bleu, a calming green, and so many more colors I can't seem to describe.

However, starting from my elbows, the colors seemed to be diluted, just like a powder in water.

They lost their shine and colors, eventually to become transparent silvery white.

Curious to where they lead to, I followed them with my eyes, until I couldn't do more.

And so I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

 my back was adorned with circles encompassing circles.

In perfect symetrie, the outer circles were only thin lines, while the most inner was that of a serpent.

At least what appeared to be one, for it had no tail, no head nor eyes.

Just scales, scales painted with the utmost precision, by the most dedicated of painters.

Almost all of it's scales were Silvery white, and bright colors took only a small part.

In it's center lay a yellow crystal coffin.

Earthly yellow.

With a fine yet apparent line dividing the picture in two.

It looked like an arrow.

 This scene seemed familiar to me, as if I lived through it.

As if I was a part of this whole picture.

I looked through what I can remember, yet I was clueless.

It's frustrating, but I just calmly accepted it.

I took a look at my wardrobe, then piece by piece I put my clothes on.

It was a lengthy, and frustrating process, however the ending was satisfying.

I never felt so comfortable in my clothes, yet I usually wear things like this.

I looked around, hoping to find my bow and quiver. Yet they were not here.

And so I just walked out of the room, walked across the long corridors, the pretty paintings and exquisite vases.

Soon I found myself on a balcony.

It was high, high enough that people down below looked like some small rats.

Among these people were a few that I dare not compare to a rat even in my thoughts.

A speech once more? And so they started speaking and just like before, I could hear them, clearly.

" Many of you died, for they sought things beyond their capabilities, were they wrong for doing so? No for among those that tried there were those that lived.

However do not think of it as your limit, for you have broke that limit, and can continue to do so.

Afterall no matter how high the sky is, we can still go beyond it.

Easily that is.

Still, you are too useless for now, and that's why you are to be enlisted in our army.

There you'd be cut off from any privileges, of any monetary aid by your families and start at the bottom.

Your name, the one the common honor would not belong to you anymore.

Even your faces, we will cast magic on you, so even your parents won't recognise you.

You'd be treated just as any soldier enlisting, and there you may lose your life for no one is there to aid you.

And for a period of two years, you'd stay there, based on your performance you may be rewarded.

And so climb the ranks, aim to be the best amongst the best, for your life depends on it, for your destiny is in your hands." 

Questions, overwhelmed by a deafening cheers, was all their response.

The marchioness and her entourage left.

After a few minutes, i too decided to walk back my room

...

That afternoon I was informed that we have 1 month to travel back home and bring some of our belongings.

I met my cousins, only this time they were two instead of one. As for who died, their faces became blurry in my memory.

The other two, still very well alive and kicking, were in a bad state, mentally, and so I took some time to comfort them.

It wasn't very useful, yet the atmosphere got a little better.

Better than nothing.

Then on the way we came here, we got back, the same road, yet different directions.

I have also got back my bow, it is a longbow made by a local bowyer. He is a good man, and spent a lifetime creating bows.

Although the materials weren't the best, the refined technique made up for it.

And as long as I remember, the bowstring never snapped, the bow never missed.

I have had it since I was 10.

As for the quiver, it had my usual arrows.

As days passed, we approached our viscounty, and soon at the outer edges I saw old johan.

The honest farmer, he, his wife and children were working side by side.

They looked happy, carefree.

I waved at them from the window, and they greeted me back, however that carefreenes went away as soon as they saw our crest.

Only to be replaced by a tense atmosphere, they bowed as I mentioned for them to stand up, to which they responded immediately.

Just like trained dogs.

I let these thoughts wander away, and just took back my eyes to my bow.

Soon, we reached our destination.

What am I doing? I don't know. However this chapter marks the end of the first volume? Yes, maybe, soon we will start volume two! Quicksand.

1