Chapter 4: First Day of Classes Pt.1
114 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So I spent the day in the library. Colbolt said it was boring but I got an acknowledging nod from Raphael so I guess I'm good in his books or something, no pun intended. I read a bunch on intro's and I don't think I can grab anything of a higher grade until I've learned from the teachers. Which means I won't be spending all my time in the library, as there's a limit to what I can learn. 

I mean it's a good tactic, make it so kids can't self-study dangerous magic, but still I want to learn some actually magic not the little tricks I already do. Granted those tricks seem to be pretty advanced in the eyes of others I guess. I can hold doors closed briefly, I can jump really high sometimes, trip people, make light and other objects change colors, some primitive telekinesis. It's all really weak and fails when I try to do it in purpose, makes since why the books all said accidental magic was 'accidental' I barely control mine and its often used when I'm in danger. The whole making sparks when I arrived was practically a fluke. 

I'm not sure if it's for the later years but the first year's schedules are all randomized so if we're lucky we have two or three classes together. 
Breakfast
History of Magic - Professor West
Transfiguration - Professor Snowhawk
Basic Healing - Professor Almend
Flying Lessons - Instructor Viper
Lunch Break
Meteorology - Professor Zephyrus
Basic Botany - Professor Esavia
Basic Spellcasting - Professor Hofferson
Defense against the Dark Arts - Professor Hornwood

Spoiler

I'm taking the names of these Ilvermorny Professors if anyone objects I'll remove them but I think it'll help the story I'm writing if I already know some character personalities

Spoiler

Also its on the internet so its free use

Spoiler

kidding, though I'll probably change the names regardless.

[collapse]
[collapse]
[collapse]

I've got history of magic with Raphael and Flying lessons with Colbolt. Other then Breakfast and our Lunch Break I'm pretty much on my own. Classes begin at 8am and end at 1pm giving roughly a 40 minutes of class, with the rest of the day free for clubs. Curfew is at 10pm, but there's no real punishment outside of a detention, for ignoring that. 

I hurry behind Colbolt, he seems like he's in a hurry to the dining hall. Raphael and I just shrug and follow. We grab a seat next to him and begin eating. I'm not sure how they do it here, but the food we want outside of snacks and deserts shows up. Like for me I wanted some toast with jam, and some scrambled eggs, and two plates would appear, but as soon as I finished one plate the plate would disappear. Must be magic. 

Even though I can conclude that I still want to know why, why magic or what magic does it. I absentmindedly turn my head in Colbolt's direction and immediately regret it. How did he even? He's got a bunch of chicken legs on his plate and he's just eating them. I guess it's normal but I never thought of like whole roast chicken legs for breakfast. How can he eat like that and people still think he's a gentleman! Nevermind, this train of thought is going nowhere. 

Raphael gets up. I suppose he's headed to our first class. I read the map but walking with someone you know, even briefly is better then walking alone. Also it's strategic. I shove a piece of toast in my mouth and hurry after him. I don't think anyone can judge me given Colbolt's whole look. 

____________________

"Hello, I am Professor West. I will be teaching your History of Magic class for this year and probably all of your years if you do not take a specialized magical history class. First things first," With a gust of sudden wind, two wings appear on his back. Everyone has a look of shock, and I mean everyone, including me. The professor smirks before continuing.

"I'm a Vampire and an animagus. You might know one of those words given the bad rap we typically get, but I'm here to tell you history isn't lines of black and white so there are quite a few discrepancies. Which you will all learn from me in class! So take out your notebooks, were going to start with the basic of basics, introduction of magic in America." 

____________________

The class was interesting. A lot of wizards that were originally here were born here, and few wizards came from overseas. We got a brief introduction to how the school was created but Professor West said we'd return to that topic later. All in all its a good class. I'd prefer one with more practical magic, but hey. Those wings were cool. I'm going to have to look up Animagus in the library later. I think that was on purpose, shocking the class with the Vampire bit. It might have been true but Animagus does sound more like a magic spell then a mythical creature. Got to stay skeptical even with magic's existence.

My next class is Transfiguration, which is an actual practical magic class so I'm excited. The brief description in the schedule is 'Making one thing become another' which is very cryptic but I'm still excited. I had to split ways with Raphael as we don't have the next class together but I guess I'll see him at lunch so that's cool. I'm alright with being alone. Stepping into the classroom I grab a random seat somewhere in the middle. There's not a lot of people here, but I did get here like 10 minutes early. 

___________________

Alright I guess there's just not a lot of students. I see a few older years here and that's probably a bad sign, how hard is transfiguration for older years to have to be in a first year class? The teacher or who I assume is the teacher stands up to the front of the chalkboard and takes a pen from behind her ear. In an instant it turns into a piece of white chalk, which she then uses to write her name. 

That was pretty cool. 

"My name is Professor Snowhawk, and I will be your transfiguration teacher, for the rest of your time here. Should you continue on this course for at least 5 school years and have an adequate score from exams I may allow you to join my Advanced course. Be warned, transfiguration is nothing to be scoffed at. Some of the best wizards in the world use Transfiguration as their main form of attack and defense with that being in-and-itself difficult to do. There will be little wand waving in this class for you will be focusing on controlling your magical potential." 

Yes! I needed a class like this, I don't know how to control my magic at all. I'm a little scared since she seems really strict but I think as long as I try hard she won't fail me or something. I can also probably ask whenever I need help. hopefully.

5