Chapter 8: Hobbies and Sports
74 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Christmas Chapter? It's short so I wanted it out early. Going by my schedule I'll either have another chapter in 2 days or 7 days.

It's November now and I'm joining the Quidditch and Quodpot club. I mean yeah, I can't join the teams until my third year but it's a workaround to using brooms. In my flying lessons, which is one of the remaining active classes I can take, and I love it. I mean who wouldn't want to experience flight, it's like an actually dream. The catch is we only learn a few basic maneuvers and we've got to stay close to the ground in case of injury. In the club they're teaching more fun moves and we're allowed to actually fly higher. there's a limit the schools brooms can reach height wise but its much higher then a few feet like the lessons.

Plus Quodpot was like a mix of paintball, football, and hot potato. Every month their was a match, with on off occasions Quidditch was announced instead. So far I've been present for Horned Serpents VS the Thunderbirds, as well as Horned Serpents VS the Pukwudgies. The Wampus team did a Quidditch game in October but I felt it was kinda boring and the rules were a bit all over the place. Quodpot's time limit is random, but oftentimes games reach about a little over 2 hours of play, while with quidditch the match only ends when the snitch is caught. with Quodpot it ends when the quod explodes, but the solution extends the time it can remain in play, so if the quod explodes before you manage to score a point for your team, your out of the game and the next inning takes place.

Everything else is about the same, with two bludgers trying to take out the players, specifically the one holding the quod but would go for other people nearby too. Two hoops in addition to the pot and the pot itself the least amount of point but required to keep the game going.

Needless to say I really wanted to be on the team, so I joined the clubs. We mostly do two things, study strategies of other teams like the international ones and we practice more advance maneuvers on brooms. sometimes the teams of the school lecture us but it's rare. I want to try out for the beater position, since flying on a broom with a bat looks mighty similar to a knight riding a horse with a sword protecting people. Which is the same I'll protect people from getting bludgered.

The new training exercises I've got to do for my self study works in tandem as now I've got to maintain focus on levitating a spinning coin while enchanted marbles try to deck me from all directions.

The reason for the training being like this is what Professor Lyness said when she saw my solution to spinning the coins last month.

____________________

"Wow, you've managed to discover another spell while trying to learn this one. That's the knockback spell."

"The knockback spell?"  I asked in confusion.

"Yes. It's using a burst of magic to 'knockback' something, usually an enemy or object. Your version is quite weak since it's an unintended consequence of the levitation spell, which normally wouldn't work that way. Normally, and I'm saying this the way students usually learn, they making object float into the air as if riding an invisible bird, or that the object has wings of it's own, in a sort of fluttery way. Yours is extremely stable in place, so you have difficulty getting it to spin, so you blast it to get momentum going. So while you succeeded in the task I gave you, you technically failed since you used another spell, even if you didn't know it was a spell." 

"So what do I do?"

"Well for one your going to have to learn how to spin the coin on its own, so you have another month to fix it while I guide you today. I also have a few questions for you." She paused, letting her words sink in.

"What do you cast with."

"What?" I pause momentarily stunned by the question. "I don't use a focus."

"No, what do you cast with."

"I don't get the question?"

"See this is were people, and I mean all people get wandless casting confused. You think of yourselves as focusless and so you say you don't cast with anything. This is wrong as the body involuntarily chooses a focus is a tool is not available. So you have been using your hands all this time. It's not a bad practice and you are allowed to keep doing it as I don't mind. Since I've been to teaching you wandless casting I'll strive to keep you completely wandless." She stood up. 

"Now I've given you two things to think about how to show me by the end of the month, get your levitation to spin on it's own and as a bonus, stop using your hands." She walked away leaving me to contemplate in my seat. 

Passively flipping the coin while I think, I think I've already got some inspiration for the levitation spell. I just have to make it unstable. That should be easier right? 

 

2