Chapter 54: CPR
200 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What Vernon proclaimed was loud and impulsive, yet it did not catch the glaring Alucard off guard in the slightest. He was almost certain this would have happened, yet knowing did not solve how he was going to instruct him.

"Okay then… I will teach you my own personal technique…"

Alucard's voice was wavering from his current state, yet it was more than strong enough to reach Vernon gritting his teeth in the distance.

"Stop wasting time and teach me already!!" Vernon took a single glance at Taylor's gray, lifeless face and the panic once again amplified in his heart.

"First… off… One hand on the bony part of his chin, push his head up as he's laying low and pinch his nose with your other hand."

Quickly, Vernon went to his knees and did exactly as he was told. He was remarkably fast and swift with his movements, and although Alucard could not see properly from that distance, his position seemed well enough for him to continue, or rather, there was no more time for him to worry about the specifics.

"Okay! What next! Lock your lips on to his and breathe five times to oxygenate his air flow—"

"ARE YOU CRAZY!? WHAT ARE THESE BIG WORDS YOU'RE—"

However, unlike last time, his face reddened, Vernon did not immediately do what he was told.

"Now's not the time for that… Do it now before it's too late Vernon…"

Vernon bit his own tongue and closed his eyes deep in thought almost to the point of tears. But that was when he heard a slight voice seep into his mind. He opened his eyes and followed the voice directly to the faces of his weary friends. And with a single, painful, yet hopeful nod, it was as though they had given him their approval or goodwill.

The impatient Alucard, who sat far was not privy to everything. He clacked his tongue staring into the distance, and before he could speak once again to get Vernon working, he began to move, the crimson sun gradually setting to his rear.

His already bloodied face was reddened, yet as he slowly arched his back forward towards his unconscious friend, his cheeks became more and more rosey. His body twitched, and his watery eyes became tender until the two finally locked lips.

Alucard stared speechlessly at the site, although the Rays of sunlight ahead were like poison hindering his vision, he still managed to make it out.

He had seen CPR conducted several times, yet this time was unlike any other. To him, this seemed more like a…

Kiss…

"HEY ALUCARD!! THAT'S FIVE BREATHS!! NOW WHAT!?"

"Hmm… !"

This time, it was Alucard who was in need to be brought back from his daze. His mind wandered so much that he did not notice it was over. He did not know what took over him nor that weird feeling, all he knew was that was not the time for any of it.

"Okay, now let go of them and place one hand on his chest with your other hand on top! Lean over, arms straight and elbows locked, push in with minimal force thirty times!" Alucard shook his head and continued to quickly give instructions.

"CHEST!?" Vernon's face shifted slightly once again.

"Yes, chest… Did you hear me or do you want me to rep—"

"I HEARD YOU FINE!! I'LL DO IT."

Briskly, although not as quick as prior, he did what was asked. His eyes closed and his eyebrows furrowed, he pushed into Taylor's chest to deliver thirty compressions, yet, even to Alucard who stood far, there was a glaring problem.

"Harder… You're doing it too weak…"

"YOU SAID WEAK THOUGH!!"

"I did… But not that weak…"

"FINE!!"

Alucard had indeed instructed Vernon to do it weakly, but that was to take into account that his strength far exceeded that of a normal human. It was almost as though he did it all reluctantly, even after Alucard told him to apply more pressure.

"OKAY!! THAT'S THIRTY!! NOW WHAT!?"

"Now… give two more breaths…"

"AGAIN!?" His face widened.

"Yes… Now… Stop asking questions and do as your told…"

It was several, painful minutes, but to the Hollow Slayers, it felt more like an eternity. Their hearts were pounding like drums, their limbs quivered and their pores leaked puddles, especially out of their clenched fists that bore wounds from their prying nails. Yet, even still, the look in their eyes were firm and full of hope, at least that was the case for all but one of them…

"ALUCARD YOU BASTARD!! NOTHING'S WORKING!!" Vernon shrieked, his tears pooling onto Taylor's chest as he gave compressions.

"I never said what I did was certainly going to work… All I said was I was going to try… Don't put words into my mouth…"

"You… IF THIS DOESN'T WORK AFTER ALL THAT I'VE DONE!! THEN I'LL-"

"NO! idiot! Wait… You're pushing too hard! at this rate, you might really k—"

*GWAKH HHHH*

Suddenly, a cracking sound muddled the air with its raspy croak. As it emerged, all became silent… Vernon's sweating body recoiled backwards immediately out of shock, and his eyes shone with even with uncertainty brewing within his ocean blue pupils, his allies looking behind him with a familiar gaze.

*HAK GKKKAH*

That sound did not cease emanating. It was a sound akin to the caw of a dying crow.

However, in this case, it was a sign of life…

"T-Taylor?"

The boy's body that sat previously unmoving upon the soil began to jitter, falling to its side. His eyes rooted in black broad and his jaws wide, an uncanny, ebony ooze splurged out his mouth and upon the grass that immediately rotted in its presence.

There was no doubt, what Taylor had released was blood, yet it now resembled an infested tar that not even Alucard found appealing.

For the next several seconds, this plagued blood continued to run rampant out of Taylor's mouth, and as it did, the dark veins that nearly consumed his entire being began to lessen ever so gradually until suddenly, it all stopped…

"..."

Silence filled the air as they looked upon Taylor's body with bated breaths… Until, Vernon finally approached with teary eyes, watching as his comrade's chest ever so slowly expanded and contracted through his baggy clothes like an alive human being…

"Taylor… Taylor's breathing… THEY… THEY'RE ALIVE!!"

The air of the fields completely turned upon its head. The tears of grief had turned into tiers of joy, quite turned into noise,  and the jitters of anxiety and deep breaths turned into ones of relief. All celebrated, even the Lisvern who could barely crawl was now walking on his two feet limping towards Taylor's now breathing head.

All were in high moods, all but one man who kept the same apprehension emanating past his dark, cracked mask.

"I wouldn't be celebrating if I were you… The method I gave you is no wonder cure… We've cleared the imminent threat but the risk remains… if he doesn't see proper treatment soon… He'll no doubt still… Die…"

14