Chapter 62: Alive and Well
184 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hm?" A mug of confusion dawned upon Vernon's face, looking away from the little girl trembling beneath his feet over to the bed behind her where the still feeble Taylor sat, eyes closed.

He felt an ache akin to a worm gnawing at his heart. To him, Taylor seemed no different from when he had brought them.

He squinted and gritted his teeth, before instinctually, angrily opening his mouth, about to reprimand the servant nurse about getting his hopes up.

But that was when his lips of pain shifted into something else, trembling and widening wide. His dull, ocean blue eyes twinkled with renewed sustenance, unconsciously leaking into tears, and the evil worm chewing his heart vanished, leaving in its place a seed that grew into a tree pounding to break through his chest.

Ever so slowly, the blackened veins upon Taylor's face began to lessen. Their complexion regained its colour, no longer like dark rough thorns, but instead pale silk. Their mouth opened wide, breathing a single breath before excreting litres of black, oozy tar on the bed sheets before they finally opened their eyes to greet the light of the outside.

"T—Taylor!! TAYLOR!" Vernon moved without a second thought. Had Iris not noticed his subtle movements, she would have no doubt been trampled beneath his boot.

She barely managed to survive, taking a deep breath clenching her heart as she thanked the heavens.

But that was when she too witnessed something that made her internal worries blow away like dandelions in the breeze.

The tender hug of a loved one onto another.

Vernon's hands wrapped tightly around the back of the still clearly dazed Taylor.

"Taylor! Can you hear me!"

"V—Ver—non?" Taylor mumbled, twitching and coughing with every syllable.

"Yes! It's me! If it's too hard on you! It's okay not to talk!"

"Uh uh," Taylor's head shook, nuzzled deep into Vernon's chest. "I— It's okay… I see that I've already caused you more than enough grief…" They forced their weak arms up ever so slowly, shakingly wrapping them around Vernon. "I still… don't know what's going on… But… greedy old me likes this feeling… So please don't mind if I do this longer…"

Vernon did not speak, but his change in expression and his soft, gentle hands stroking through Taylor's hazel hair more than conveyed his feeling and response.

But, sadly for Taylor, their tranquil wish could not last much longer as a sound pierced their bubble.

"HEY HEY HEYYYY!!! Look what we have here! Don't think you can cuddle without me!"

They both recognized the voice, and their soft eyes shot open. But, before they could react, they felt his full weight drop on them and his arms tightly hook them by the neck.

"HEY! Get off me! What do you think you're doing!"

"Hahahaha!" The man laughed. "Hey, Adam! Wanna join in the group hug! Taylor's okay!" He beamed, looking over towards the man reserving himself to the back.

"No… I think I'll pass for now… Lisvern…"

"Okay! Suit yourself!" He giggled, tightening his grip around Vernon further.

"I said let go of me you damn ape!" Vernon continued squirming around until he finally broke free of Lisvern's grasp, taking heavy breaths.

"Damn! What was that for!" He gritted his teeth, pointing a finger at the seemingly oblivious Lisvern.

"Huh? What's wrong with a group hug! You think it's fair for you to hog Taylor all to yourself!" He smirked, taking a seat and leaning back, looking over to see a flustered Vernon as he expected.

"It's not what you think!" His face reddened, and Taylor who still looked slightly dazed could not help but look away towards the open window.

But before their head fully rotated, they felt a hand grinding on their head like a noogie.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing looking away! Am I really that ugly? We came here to see your jolly face among us again!"

"O—oh… sorry…" Taylor's face jumped up, and their head snapped back immediately.

"Lively as ever huh? I'm glad…" Adam smiled and sighed from behind, still leaning against the door.

"Ah— Yes… Thank you… But… I'm still sorry guys… I'm confused about what happened and what's going on… All that's clear to me is that I made you all worry…"

"Huh? Do you really not remember?" Lisvern raised an eyebrow and leaned in closer.

"Uh uh," Taylor's head shook.

"I see, well, put it simply, you were asleep on the verge of death for the past few days after you were poisoned by a group of goblins. Then… POOF! All of a sudden here you are alive and well!"

"Oh really… —" Taylor pushed the sheets off their chest and leaned closer, before being struck by a shockwave of pain that brought them right where they sat, coughing vigorously.

"Taylor!!" Vernon shot, but Lisvern raised his hands to calm him down.

"It seems like Taylor still hasn't fully recovered, but I can guarantee you there's no longer a threat to his life… All we can do now is wait and see." Adam spoke from behind.

"Tch—" Vernon bit his lower lip.

"What do you think you're doing looking so glum!" Lisvern laughed, patting Vernon on the back. "A second ago you were lively as ever! It's a miracle Taylor's as good as he is! So why don't we spend this time catching up on what he's missed!"

Vernon's suddenly agitated demeanour shifted. "Ehh… I guess your right…" He scratched his scruffy red hair.

"Hey! Little girl!" Lisvern looked over to his side, and upon meeting his gaze, she imminently jolted.

"Y—Yes!"

Motionless ever since the beginning, it was as though she was simply watching a skit play out as if it were in a dream, but it was Lisvern's words that finally woke her up.

"What's your name, young lady?"

"My name is Iris! It's an honour to meet you, sir adventurer!" She stood up on two feet and gave her best, yet still awkward curtsey.

"Please call me Lisvern! You must be the one who took care of Taylor all this time. Thank you so much… Without you, I wouldn't have been talking to him alive and well."

"N-no! Please! I didn't do anything special! This is all beyond my understanding… Sir Taylor should still be on the verge of death! I've never seen such a recovery in all my years! It must have been his impeccable will to live that saved him!" She continued her gaze downwards.

"Is that so!" Lisvern laughed. "See Taylor! I told you that you were special! So, Iris, how long you think it will take for Taylor to make a full recovery?"

"Ah— It could be days… months… maybe even a year… I don't know… He shouldn't be combat-ready anytime soon, but with a few more days of rest, I'm sure he can get back on his two feet and walk again…"

"I see… That's some quick diagnoses."

"Y—yes… It's my gift…"

"Gift?" Eyes glowed all around the room.

"You're more interesting than I thought! I'd love to talk to you more, but, can you wait outside and give us some alone time for a bit? If you don't mind." He gave her a lovely smile which reddened her cheeks.

"Of course!" Iris picked herself up, raising her head, quickly walking towards the door before abruptly stopping.

"Wait… You're… the one who saved my life? Right?" She turned around slowly, this time facing the person speaking.

"Mhm…" She nervously nodded.

"Ah— … I had a feeling that there was someone lovely taking care of me… I would also like to talk to you more… I have a feeling that we'll be great friends…"

"F— friends?" Iris stuttered.

"Yes? … W… would that be a problem?" Taylor smiled the room ablaze with light. Iris sensed that Taylor was cute even asleep, but awake, the warmness exuding from them was simply unrivalled to the point that she began to feel butterflies in her stomach.

"Na NO! Not at all! It would be an honour!" Her breath became erratic, quickly looking down and promptly leaving the room, sitting on the bench outside as Adam closed the door.

Outdoors, the festivities brought upon by the adventurers continued, and the sudden appearance of Iris, no matter her stature brought looks in her direction with varying ire. Yet, to Iris, it was as though their judgement meant nothing as she cried her eyes out with a tomato-red face and jittery smile that she hid looking at her waving feet.

"Me? … Friend?"

13