Chapter 66: From Today Onwards, and Forever More (2)
210 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"He seemed cruel at the time to threaten us like he did. Of course, we accepted, but at the time, we didn't have any other choice…" Lisvern laughed softly, watching the sparks flicker off the campfire.

"But, it wasn't really that bad… Sure, we did chores every now and then around the estate, but it was definitely nothing like our previous lives. We had warm beds, delicious foods, and even fancy clothes."

"But, that was not the best part… The best part was when Vernon would call us specifically, and we would all train and talk together under the supervision of his personal instructor. That's where we truly became friends…"

"All in all, It was honestly the best decision of my life," He laughed, scratching the back of his head, Adam, who stood directly next to him nodding in agreement.

"I see…" Alucard fixed his mask. "But, that doesn't explain how you ended up being the leader, and why you even decided to become adventurers in the first place."

"Oh! That's easy! I'm not really the leader, it's just that I'm the face of the team when it comes to relations. Vernon has no social skills, in fact, we're his first and only friends! In school, even the ones who tried their best to suck up to him because to his status eventually ran away! The only reason he even went to the market that day was to buy some servants since he wanted to settle an argument, and prove to his classmates that money could actually buy him friends!"

Vernon's face reddened, and he turned his head facing away.

Lisvern's demeanour had remained sombre as he told his story, but now as he remarked, he began to regain a sense of his regular, jovial self.

"Indeed," Adam joined. "We were lucky that he ran into us on the way…"

"I wouldn't really call it luck…" Vernon spoke, and all eyes fell towards him. "I chose you guys for a reason. I guarantee that if it were any other people, I wouldn't have batted an eye. But… The three of you moved me to act… In reality, I was jealous of how tightly knit you all were and how much trust you had in each other…  Like family… As soon as I saw it, I knew had to be part of that no matter what… To be honest, I still don't know if I'm a proper member of the group…"

"Of course you are!" Lisvern seemed almost outraged. "Don't you dare ever think that again!" He stood up and proclaimed.

"..."

"Thanks… Means a lot…"

Alucard sat there, witnessing it all unfold. It seemed like his requests for explanations had brought upon further developments not only with the Hollow Slayers, but also within himself. He could almost feel a shred of sympathy relating it all to his own personal story.

"Well, anyways…" Vernon coughed, trying to change the subject. "The reason why we formed this group is because I didn't want to follow in the footsteps of my father, and we all wanted to go out and make names for ourselves out of nothing, by helping people in need. It's a simple thing."

"Does that mean you and your father are not on good terms?"

"I don't know, I haven't seen my father since I was seven… Take that as you will."

"Yeah, but I doubt he hates you! He sends you letters checking up on you every week, and money every month even now after you've decided to go your own path,"

"Mhm," Adam smirked. "He also gave you all the freedom you could ask for. Your mother used to never speak highly enough of him."

"Yeah yeah, keep telling yourself that! I doubt he writes to me himself, those letters are probably from one of his servants, and the money he sends is just to ensure I stay alive and indebted to him. If he really cared, he would have come to visit me at least once in the past decade." Vernon sat up, laying on the tree behind him.

"From how you describe him, he doesn't seem that bad," Alucard commented.

"Are you serious?" Vernon sighed. "Well, we'll find out in about a week anyways. My mother is very ill, and he's coming to our mansion to pay her a visit during the annual Aramatier festival. I'll see him then."

"And then, you'll give him exactly what's on your mind!" Lisvern cheered.

"Damn right I will!"

*AAAWWHOOOOO!!*

Their conversation halted as a loud, bestial cry echoed through all their ears and down their spines. They had nearly forgotten that they were in the midst of an unknown, dangerous forest at the cusp of midnight.

"Vernon, are you back to full strength?"

"Yeah, just about,"

"Good, then I think we should get moving soon," Alucard suggested, forcing himself on two legs.

"Wait, why? I think we should at least wait for sunrise before we start moving again!" He retorted.

"I think he's right. Spending the night in a place like this is dangerous." Adam followed Alucard's lead, picking up his belongings.

"As long as we're in fighting shape, I agree to keep moving. We're already near the cave. The faster we kill that thing, the less the villagers have to suffer. If we run into a beast and get injured on the way, then we will set up camp to recover again." Lisvern followed, leaving Vernon as the only man still sitting on his bottom.

"What about Alucard!? He's still poisoned! Shouldn't we stay a bit longer!?"

"I've  actually mostly recovered from my poison, see?" Alucard opened his palm, releasing fire. "My magic is fine, but my movements will be hindered. Also, the poison runs deep into the body, I don't think a week, much less a day would make me recover."

"Well, if that's the case! Then you should stay behind us and give ranged support."

"No, it's okay, I can still—"

"I insist. We can handle the front lines easy!" Vernon rested his hands on Alucard's shoulders, giving him reassurance before walking ahead of him. "Okay, let's make this quick and get back to the village! Keep your eyes peeled and let's get going!"

11