Chapter 10: Pack Hunting
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Smug.

 

Last of the porcupine prey has been devoured.

 

Sniff.

 

Can’t smell any other porcupines nearby. Vengeance has been had, cowardice has been punished.

 

And the biomass this one has accrued…

 

Calculating…

 

If this one were to remain stationary, without movement, this one has approximately 13 stasises worth of biomass, even including the 43% increase to main body size. 4 stasises worth if all structures are maintained.

 

Which means that this one can finally experiment!

 

Satisfaction.

Wiggle.

 

… keep thinking like kin-prey. But happens too often to continuously correct.

 

No. Not even remembering the arrogant, hated kin-prey will cause unpleasantness for this one.

 

First, the trichromatic ocular system.

 

 

Reluctant.

 

Is not cowardice! This one is definitely not reluctant because new sensory organs cause pain!

 

Current sensory organs are optimal. More than optimal. Performance is much superior to only eye tentacles. Have no need for trichromatic ocular system right now.

 

That’s all. Not cowardice.

 

Next… the complete anatomies.

 

Immediately ignore the porcupine anatomy. Disgusted, is cowardice.

 

Contemplate between songbird and hunting hound anatomies.

 

Songbird anatomy is… not useful, for hunting prey. Relies on wings, which consumes biomass much faster than legs, and aggressive structures are not supported. Also, small. Too small for the main body.

 

The hunting hound anatomy is the most similar to the structures this one has already been using. But there is one thing that this one doesn’t understand.

 

Why do all anatomies use blood?

 

It is inefficient. Inferior design to the main body’s.

 

 

But interferers used blood, remember it around them. And interferers were superior design.

Confused. Don’t comprehend.

 

Hmm…

 

Requires testing. Won’t know until this one develops the anatomy and observes.

 

Develop hunting hound anatomy! But retain altered digestive tract, restructure anatomy to incorporate it into its design.

 

 

Information floods the brain.

 

Hmm…

 

Strange urges. Find hierarchy, dominate or subserve into. Find mate, procreate. Find shelter, to protect from the elements. Establish territory.

 

There is a strange new sensation on this one’s skin and fur. It is pleasant. Originates from the light source on the ceiling.

 

Warm.

 

Wiggle.

 

Wag tail.

 

Ignore all of the new urges and sensations, test range of motion.

 

Range of motion is more limited in this form. But overall structure is better. Supports the main body better.

 

Original main body and all tentacles are still existent, but in a small sac located to the right of this one’s… lower back? Spinal cord?

 

Spinal cord stretches out into a tail. Interesting design, helps to maintain balance for quadrupedal structure.

 

Can feel the blood coursing through this one’s vascular system. Interesting design, micro-structures make up the majority, three of which dominate the others. Blood is pumped through a heart, which is regulated and maintained by the brain, which maintains it’s function though the air this one brings through its lungs. All of which support the other organs in the system, as well as the muscle systems and others.

 

Realization.

 

By dedicating a small portion of the brain to ensure all of the organs remain functiional, it consumes less biomass to maintain an anatomy than attempting to maintain individual parts through the main body. This is why structures utilize blood.

 

Fascinating.

 

 

Perhaps… this is why interferers would sever main parts of main body?

 

Hooowwwl!

 

This one’s body immediately straightens, nose sniffing the air, ears swiveling to locate the source of the noise.

 

Strange. Different communication from the Observer and the Interferers. But this one understands it.

 

Prey is close. Pack, come hunt!”

 

Hooowlll!

 

“Understood, will lead pack to prey!”

 

 

Satisfaction.

 

This one will also join the hunt.

 

But will hunt pack, as well as prey.

 

 

Body slinks low to the ground. Tentacles press against the main body, ready to erupt.

 

Is not cowardice! Merely assessing prey before this one attacks!

 

See what the… pack? Were communicating about.

 

Strange. Quadrupedal, but instead of their paws ending in claws, it ends in a strange hard structure. Eyes are located on either side of head, instead of the front. Structures grow out of the prey’s head, similar to branches of a tree, but different. It guards a number of weaker prey, in a herd, which… eat the ground structures?

 

Very strange.

 

The pack-prey still hasn’t noticed this one, instead all focused on the herd-prey. Keep an eye tentacle focused on them, in the event that they do.

 

See largest of the pack prey at the front, while the second largest lightly nips at its flank. Strange. Prey’s structure is similar to the mutant hound, but slightly different.

 

“Yes, We notice it.”

 

“Good. Divert all of pack to hunt the weak prey?”

 

“Majority of the pack. You and We will hunt the buck.”

 

“But-”

 

“No but. Buck will sustain us for long time. Will let pups grow strong.”

 

“... yes.”

 

The pack-prey are moving!

 

Seven of them.

 

Strange. Seven of pack-prey, but only four of herd-prey?

 

 

Remember.

 

THIS PACK-PREY RELIES ON OTHERS! WILL MOST LIKELY ATTACK ONE HERD-PREY WITH MORE THAN ONE! COWARDICE!

 

But… learned from other prey.

 

If challenge prey now, will attempt to flee. Or fight.

 

This one is… not confident it can catch or kill all pack-prey before biomass is depleted.

 

So for now… observe.

 

Definitely is not cowardice!

 

Pack-prey are moving.

 

Lower main body to ground, follow at a distance.

 

Closer to the herd-prey, we approach.

 

Observe the herd-prey. One of them limps as it grazes, rests full weight on only three legs.

 

Weakness! Urge to move with pack-prey, corner and hunt!

 

 

Why does this anatomy have strange urges?

 

The pack-prey is only a little aways now. The largest herd-prey suddenly starts looking around. It’s nose twitches.

 

Let’s out warning sound to herd. Herd preys immediately FLEE!

 

PACK-PREY CHASES!

 

FOLLOW!

 

Five of the pack prey immediately corner the weakened prey, which is unable to flee quickly. The pack-prey first cripples the legs of the herd-prey. Then, when it can no longer flee, they all rip out it’s throat.

 

Approval. Even if COWARDICE, is still good tactic. Applied it to earlier hound.

 

The two other pack-prey go after the largest prey. Similar tactics are used, but it is not as efficient. Herd-prey uses strange branch structures on head to ward them away.

 

Largest pack-prey attempts to bite leg, and herd-prey kicks it! Pack-prey whimpers, limps away. Possible broken bones? Weakness!

 

But while the herd-prey attacked the pack-prey, the second largest pack-prey attacked its other leg!

 

Crunch.

 

Ears can detect the noise from here, herd-prey’s right foreleg is crushed, broken. Will most likely die soon, even if prey do not kill it.

 

Herd and pack prey look at each other warily, pack-prey circling around herd-prey, patient.

 

 

Odd.

 

Did the herd-prey’s head branch structures always glow like that?

 

 

THEY DID NOT! They also certainly did not separate from its head and float around its main body like that!

 

The branch structures fragmented into 16 different points, and they float around its main body.

 

The floating branch structures begin swirling, faster, unti-

 

FAST!

 

Don’t know how pack-prey managed to dodge them. This one couldn’t even see what happened! But the pack prey leapt to the side, and now only 12 of the points remain.

 

Fascinating.

 

MUST HAVE STRUCTURE!

 

DEVELOP AND REFINE ARMOR!

 

CHARGE!

 

This one explodes from its vantage point, and all prey immediately turn to the main body.

 

Smug.

 

Yes, witness this one’s superior form! WILL REND YOUR FLESH FROM YOUR BO-

 

PAAAAIIIIINNN!

 

Strange structures PIERCED THROUGH ARMOR!?

 

HOW!?

 

This one didn’t even see them move! Structures pierced through armor, embedded in main body, almost pierced brain and core. But there are now only 9 points remaining, all facing towa-

DODGE!

 

Pain!

 

Only one structure pierced through armor.

 

Relief. Did not pierce anything vital.

 

But ANGRY!

 

Tentacles extend from the main body, waving in the air. The pack prey have backed away, eyeing main body warily. Herd-prey snorts, DODGE!

 

Satisfaction.

 

None managed to pierce through this time PIERCE!

 

Prey startled, attempts to sever tentacles with structures.

 

PAAAAIIINNN!

 

STRUCTURES PIERCE THROUGH MAIN BODY! PIERCE LUNGS, HEART, BRAI-

 

PAAAAIIIINNNNN!

 

WRAP TENTACLES AROUND HEAD!

 

RIIIP!

 

TEAR!

 

Prey stills.

 

Repair.

 

Devour.

 

Pack prey growl, attempt to move closer while this one eats.

 

Wave tentacles. Success, pack-prey look at each other and move away. Work with other pack-prey to drag weakened herd-prey away.

 

Do not chase. Must repair the main body while consumin- CORE!

 

 

Repairing all critical structures greatly consumes biomass and core energy.

 

Consume Core.

 

PAAAIN!

 

 

Tired…

 

So tired…

 

All of herd-prey is consumed…

 

New structure: Complete mutated Cervidae (Elk) anatomy (Cervidae organ system, skeleton system, mu…)

 

So. Tired.

 

Too… tired… to analyze… new… structures…

 

Drag… main body… to tree…

 

Climb… onto branch…

 

Stasis.

 

...

2