Chapter 3: Crisis and Opportunity
32 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, I headed out of the Shack to gather the necessary materials for the quest. After going out, what greeted me was the same old, randomly established Shacks around my house.

I greeted my neighbor, Suin, the middle-aged man who helped me cope with my urgent needs, such as residence, food, and clothes. Back then, I was utterly confused about the sudden grace? After all, I'm really that guy who suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and like a dedicated NPC, the middle-aged man just went and offered his help out of nowhere, solving my future dilemmas. It might seem rude, but I can't help but be wary about this kind of thing. Hence, I asked him, and he responded as such-

"Right? Why would I help a hobo like you? Maybe it's my whim or pity. Pick whichever you want." He didn't elaborate any further and went to his Shack.

The corners of my lips lifted a wry smile as I stared at his back. I let out a sigh and didn't delay and went to the Dark Forest, the initial place of my transmigration.

The legend of Dark Forest was well-known throughout the Empire, branches akin to adult's upper limbs and a skin-toned bark; twisted maddeningly. They were harmless, but the sense of eeriness proved hard to ignore, hence, earning a notorious title; The twisted limbs of damned.

I was spooked at first; when I saw the sight right after the whole transmigration stuff. But my survival takes priority, so I forcibly tried to ignore the eerie atmosphere permeating the forest. I walked for so long that I'm starting to feel the fatigue, combined with an empty stomach; it's already a miracle that I could last this long. My vision was beginning to fade, and my stomach was clamoring for food; just when I was about to succumb to exhaustion, the light of civilization shone upon me; at the near distance, I saw a herd of Shacks reigniting my desire to live. And that's how I found myself in my current situation. Regardless-

"I can't believe I have to return here after leaving for few days."

I stared at the creepy limbs-like branch of trees with a heavy expression, showing an evident reluctance on returning.

Thankfully, the location of my target isn't that deep, so I steeled myself and walked with lingering discomfort. Along the way, I could vaguely feel some changes around me as I walked deeper. I'm not entirely sure, but I felt like the branches were crawling towards me with malice. The thought of going back; keep making my resolve waver until I finally saw a pile of dirt; sticking out like a sore thumb.

I never felt happy seeing a pile of dirt in my entire life. I headed right away and submitted the material to the System.

[Scanning relevant material... Clear!]

[Congratulations, Host! The first requirement of the limited-time quest is confirmed! Please continue the good work!]

After looking at the series of prompts, I readily turned behind and saw a terror-inducing sight. If the branches I saw earlier have an uncanny resemblance to a limb, then what's before me right now is a full-fledge limb, twisted in a hideous way you could imagine, dripping with dark red blood, as if recently cut. If not for the better-than-your-average-mental fortitude, I might have already screamed at the top of my lungs, running around like a headless chicken. And, as if afraid I'm not terror-stricken enough, the limbs were creeping towards me bit by bit. At that time, fight or flight instinct did its thing, and before I knew it, I was already running at the opposite side, deep to Dark Forest.

"System! What the hell are those things!?"

[Notice! They are man-eating mimics living at the heart of Dark Forest, known for their skills; creeping dread and stealth]

[Warning! Detecting abnormal phenomena! Deploying a quarter of Hexagon Dome, Y/N?]

Seeing the prompt, I didn't dare to hesitate and activated the barrier.

"Deploy it immediately!"

[Activating! Quarter Hexagon]

Woom!

A familiar muffled sound rang out, and a miniature hexagon barrier covered my body. Yet, I didn't feel any ounce of relief. The fact that the dome consumes energy means it's only there for a while; added with my enhanced physique of Zerg, it would only last but for so long.

Honestly, I have a feasible idea of how to escape this situation, but if I went with it, there's a high chance that it's just going to delay the problem, not solving it.

I looked back and saw a bunch of monsters, increasing their numbers for every second. At this time, I knew I had to do it, regardless of the consequences.

After sorting out my thoughts, I decisively summoned the System.

"System! return me to the void!"

[Activating! Spacial Wrench!]

Woom

A sound of muffled humming resounded, and before I knew it, I was already in the vast space of void.

I heaved a sigh of relief and stared at the quest prompt.

[World Creation Limited Quest!]

[Notice! The last material (Random Genetic) is nowhere to find! Please be prudent and submit the materials!]

Mass of Land
-It is necessary to form a natural land surface.

Random Genetics
-Necessary material to register the miracle of life.

Reward: [Magnification Glass (Transcendent Grade) (Item)]

There are few changes in the prompt. The first material in the quest; crossed out, meaning I have already submitted the material. As for the other one, it's still the same. I honestly want to register the random genetics of a monster or animal but, I never thought that getting a pile of dirt would be this thrilling, making me run around the forest for my life.

'Sigh, I have no choice. I'll make do with my blood and get done with it.'

After sorting out my thoughts, I decisively cut the back of my hand submitted the blood to the System.

[Scanning relevant material... Clear!]

[Congratulations, Host! All of the materials are collected! The System will release the following functions]

[World Creation Editor]
[World Creation History Log]
[Genetic Assembly]
[Shop]

[Host! Please receive your reward!]

[World Creation Limited Quest completion rank: S]

[Reward: [Magnification Glass (Transcendent Grade) (Item)]

[Notice! Please remain diligent in completing quests!]

After a series of prompts, a light appeared out of nowhere before me, forming a magnification glass made out of unknown materials. I carefully fetched the magnification glass.

But after touching it, aside from the handle, the lens looks like an illusion. I poked the lens, and my finger just went through the opposite side.

I rubbed my eyes and once again attempted to touch the glass.

"This is... how interesting."

I contemplated for a while before finally asking the system.

[Magnification Glass - it is made from the ??? of the profound darkness, the lens; created from Sphere of Creation condensed to its limit]

[Description - Magnification Glass can magnify or shrink an object aside from living things]

[Reminder! The limit of shrinking and magnifying is limited to the radius/scale of the world]

I held my chin as I contemplated the prompts. Understandably, magnification has its limit. The fact that the limit relies on radius and scale is quite interesting. Theoretically, the upper limit of magnification would be infinite as long as I can indefinitely increase the radius of the world.

Well, that is as long as I could expand the radius of the world, of course.

Regardless, the fact that I could create a continent or anything with minimal effort is always welcome.

After pondering, I didn't delay and test the power of Magnification Glass.

"System, magnify the first material I submitted. I want to create a continent."

[Affirmative]

[Activating World Creation Editor... All clear!]

[Activating! Magnification Glass!]

After the prompts disappeared, the pile of dirt dropped from the space to the ocean. But strangely, instead of shrinking from the human's field of view, the heap of mud was spreading? No, it was magnifying at a terrifying speed! one meter eventually growing to 10km, 100, 1000, 10000, and so on!

BOOM!

The pile of dirt, no, the terrifying descent of the continent made out of mud, rendered the surrounding water splashed with resounding a roar. The ocean howled, the waves ferociously crashed at the edge of the newborn continent! Countless lightning coiled in the heavens as the world witnessed the birth of the first land.

I am absolutely dazed right of this moment, looking at the gigantic continent taking nearly 2/5 of the blue world. But I soon collected myself and stared at the new prompt window.

[World Creation History Log]

[???? - The world that seems eternally tranquil; went through terrifying changes the moment a mysterious object fell from the sky. It was small at first, but it eventually expanded until it finally covered nearly half of the world. The sky was dark, and thunder coiled, threatening to unleash its fury upon the land. The ocean howled, the waves crashed, blessing the world with a seemingly endless rain]

I numbly skimmed through the history log and eventually closed it. In my meager life experience, this is the first time I've been surprised out of my wit in one day; Transmigration, getting op items, and finally creating a world. I never felt that life was this thrilling till this day.

It is worth noting that; I'm just a regular joe that you can find at some corner, yet that average joe suddenly obtained power akin to the Creator.
I'm afraid that if I tell this kind of thing to someone from my previous world, they might take the initiative to call the mental hospital.

I sighed as I observed the terrifying changes in the blue world.

"If those historians from my previous world saw this, they might faint out of shock and awe."

1