Parenteral conference (Shared Universe 41.)
272 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-From the perspective of Ava-

With a deep sigh, I finally managed to send off the questioning officials from the police department. I didn't have the slightest clue what was going on around this street nowadays. It used to be a reasonably calm neighborhood. Yet now some random hooligans have decided to destroy the trashcans out of nowhere… Ridiculous, there is a war going on, and some people seem to have more time on their hands than ever.

I shook my head, disappointed, as I turned around and walked back into the restaurant.

Luckily, the broken windows were successfully changed a few days ago. Now we only have to cover up the plasma burn marks. A partial repainting is in order, I guess.

While I was thinking along the line of those thoughts, who to call to make the repaint, and stuff like that, I walked back into the restaurant, we were not closed for another half an hour, but I didn’t expect anyone to come in at this point. The lock down is about to start soon.

It was a good idea from the owner to buy a small independent generator. In these unreliable times, you can’t keep on relying on outside energy sources only.

I will send Nizzy to turn it on soon. The few guests we have should be able to have light over the night at least, and heated water if they want to shower.

With that thought in my mind, I was already walking up the stairs, heading towards my young friend’s room. Since I didn’t see her around the counter, she must have sneaked past me to skip on the job. I smirked at the thought. Jedi or not, she is definitely a kid, aside from those weirdly serious moments of hers…

I knocked on her door and shouted into the room.

-Nizzy?! Are you skipping on the job again? We have already talked about this. I need you to turn on the generator soon, so get to it. Right about now?

I waited for a while, but I didn’t hear an answer, or anything of the sort.

I decided to open the door slowly and take a peek inside.

The room seemed to be empty, and the window was wide open… The curtain fluttering in the draft created by  opening door.

Seeing this, I pushed the door open entirely to see if she was trying to hide in one of the corners, to get me off her back, but instead of that, I was shocked for an entirely different and unexpected reason.

I stepped back in disbelief, sniffing the air as an unholy smell assaulted me out of the blue. My face contorted with disgust as I tried to cover my face with one of my hands.

The sour sweet smell of rot was lingering in the small room… What was going on? I looked around widely, searching for the source of the stench. Then I saw it… a small pile of hastily kicked off clothes, covered in some questionable liquids. And was that a half rotten banana peel?

Gross… and this was clearly one of our outfits… did that girl swim through a sea of trash to get herself dirty to such an extent… I guess it will be better to throw this out right away… ugh… disgusting!

That said, she is probably in the shower right now… wait… was it her who caused that entire ruckus outside? This… I will have to speak with her head. It was enough that a bunch of jedi started lingering here… scaring off my half decent customers… not even mentioning the clone’s attack.

Is she in a rebellious phase? She just turned fourteen. I guess that could be a reason as good as any…

I sighed… I didn’t want to believe that she was the daughter of that scum… Hondo; I mean, I owe the bastard one, since he gave me a lift back then… but I believe that I paid that back while enduring this much of his shenanigans.

And also her daughter’s shenanigans… I humphed, realizing the similarity between the two.

-The apple didn’t fall far from its tree… it seems…

I picked up the gross clothes from the ground, and with a disgusted flinch I threw it into the wastebasket placed in the corner, picked up the whole thing and walked out of the room with the intention of immediately getting rid of it.

Half way towards the exit, I saw a familiar figure walking in my direction. She was only covered with a large towel, funnily sniffing one of her leks with a permanent frown on her face.

I also noticed her unusually pale skin and blackened veins. The golden eyes were also present. I have already learned that she could change some of her characteristics through the use of the force. This was apparently her angry look, which was unique to her cult, or whatever it was.

She will probably keep pestering me with her dried up skin and pale skin shade again. I know that some of the spells she uses cause this side effect that sometimes takes days to clear off. I can’t wait to hear her story about what just happened.

I decided to call out to her in passing.

-Young lady, I believe that we need to talk a bit after I throw out the trash I picked up in your room.

Even the word “trash” seemed to cause her eyes to flicker in disgust and rage. A wave of even brighter gold passed over her eyes as she looked at me, then the wastebasket in one of my hands.

Her face turned to a mixture of red, green, and white colors. She seriously looked like someone about to vomit blood from raw shame and frustration. Even so, she managed to give me a quiet nod before she scurried off to her room.

I laughed, seeing her vivid reaction. While shaking my head in amusement.

-It seems you never get bored with children around.

I said to myself, as I stepped off the last step of the staircase which was leading down from the sleeping quarters.

To my slight surprise, a woman’s voice, which sounded a bit familiar, reacted to my earlier words.

-That is quite an astute observation, Ava.

Stated the woman, standing next to the counter with a warm smile on her face. I looked at her suspiciously, after seeing that she was the bounty hunter from a few days ago, I quickly lowered my guard.

She was the one who cleared out some of the clones and saved my workplace from further damage. For that, she has my deepest gratitude. She is also wanted by the government because of an attempt to kidnap a senator… It was not my business however; we have too many senators anyway.

-Hi! Mady, it’s good to see you again! How are you doing, girl?

-Hi, I am… fine I guess? But, I need a room for a while, and I am afraid that not many places would welcome me without unexpected consequences… if you know what I mean.

I shook my head in amusement then said offhandedly.

-Yes, I can imagine. You have become quite famous around this sector of the galaxy, haven't you? Hehe…

She seemed to turn a bit meek after hearing this. Scratching her head with a weak blush.

-Yes… it seems, but it’s not exactly the kind of fame you would desire…

-Hah!

I shouted jovially.

-No worries, sweetheart. I will get you accommodated right away. I just have to throw out these rags first. Its smell is nasty.

Mady smiled, glancing at the familiar clothes with a disgusted smirk.

-Oh my, did someone have an accident?

This comment managed to froze Ava in her steps, she seemed to think about it. Nizzal’s expression of shame made much more sense now… but what was about that banana peel then? Wait, could it be that she intentionally jumped into the trash just to cover up her accident? Oh, what a childish behavior… I will have to tell her to not think too much into it… it happens with adults too from time to time… especially if you upset your tummy. Foolish girl…

-Maybe…

Was the only thing I answered and stepped out of the building to throw out what needed to be thrown out, then walked back inside.

When I reached behind the counter once again, I turned to the waiting hunter and asked.

-So do you have the money? I hate to ask that from a new friend, but we don’t exactly work as a charity, you know.

Mady smiled and stated triumphantly.

-Of course, I just caught this guy called Bribnunga… or Blibmunga Good… or whatever, I can’t seem to remember his name. He had a nasty smell as well. I think I might manage to gain some immunity to nasty smells together. Haha!

I glanced at Mady appreciatingly and took the credits from her open palm.

-All is good then, your room is the one with the number five. The showers are at the end of the corridor, just like the toilets. You can’t miss it. You are welcome as long as you want to stay and have the money to pay, That's it. Oh, something to eat? But, I might have to ask you for a favor.

-Which is?

-Could you turn on the generator? My only employee who stays here at night is otherwise occupied. In exchange, I will pour you a beer, it’s on the house. What say you?

Mady nodded happily.

-Whatever you want, captain!

The door behind Mady opened before she could stand up, and another familiar figure… no figures, as there were two of them walking in. I only spared a brief glance, seeing the man wearing the red coat and the lanky girl walking close behind. I couldn’t help but sigh immediately.

-Good night, beautiful ladies, I am back! Oh, and I already turned on the generator, so give me that beer! Baha!

Mady turned around and gave a nasty glare at the bastard who stole her free drink.

I sighed, sensing the rising tension, and decided to pour a beer for all three of them. These bastards will be the end of me.

I turned towards the newcomers and asked after all three of them had drunk a few gulps of the beer.

-So what do ya want, Hondo?

He acted as if I hurt his emotions, and looked at me with mock shock.

-Whatever you mean by that… I paid for my room for a week! There is still a few days remaining.

I looked at him in annoyance.

-Do you remember bringing a bunch of kidnapped people here that eventually led to a gunfight that damaged the building? Scaring my employees and customers away? That is your answer.

He stopped his act and spread a bunch of credits over the counter with a lazy flick of his hand.

-I see. This should be enough to cover your bills, and also to give Claire and me a room for a few more days? Hmm? We will be very modest and won't cause any more trouble. I promise.

I sighed…

-Your promise is worth jack shit in my opinion, but you can have that room. It’s not like we are swimming in customers these days.

I took the credits and dropped a key in front of him.

-It’s number four.

-Thanks!

He grinned, then turned towards the woman next to him.

He asked with an innocent smile.

-Did I see you somewhere before? Oh, but what am I saying? I would never forget such a natural beauty as you-…

He ducked quickly as a fist barely missed his ugly face. The next one that was already on the way, had been stopped by Claire, grabbing onto Mady’s hand just in time to save the old crook from a predictably large bruise.

The air seemed to tense up again, as the stalemate played out. Until my voice interrupted their foolish staredown.

-If you don’t stop this immediately, I will kick both of you out, and this time it will be permanent, especially for you… Hondo. The only reason I didn’t ban you already is because of your daughter. She is at least trying to act like a decent person, even if her father is a bastard.

Mady pulled back her hand and Claire simultaniously let go of her wrist. Mady gave a side glance to the girl with the red headband and turned back to her beer.

In the meantime, Hondo’s eyes glinted with a new realization.

-Ah! Now I remember!

He said and slapped his own forehead comically.

-You are one of the girls we kidna-… cough… I mean selflessly offered a free ride from the other day. Hmmm… and quite the fiery one… Such a temper, indeed.

Mady glanced up from her half empty beer jug and said.

-Watch your tongue or the next one won’t miss that crooked nose of yours, bastard.

Hondo smiled widely at the comment. As he drank more of his beer, seeing that the woman was already finished with half of hers. He didn’t want to be beaten just like that.

-Haha, I believe you… girl. But, may I ask why you are here?

-No.

-Oh-ho… could it be that you came to visit my cute baby girl? You seem the type she is hanging out these days… not even thinking how his poor old daddy feels about a bunch of jedi coming and going as they please. It ruins my business! That nasty Obi’Wan even dared to bring his companions today… I had to leave through that window over there… can you believe that? Me, forced to jump out of a window, like some no-name common hooligan?!

Mady looked at the man, who managed to work up his own temper.

She decided to disregard his words and asked instead.

-Who is this daughter of yours? How old is she?

-Ah, sweet little thing she is… her eyes are like her mothers… ah at least I think so… She is a twi’lek, pale skin, oh, she works all the time to provide for her poor family. I am so proud.

Mady asked in apparent disbelief.

-She works to provide for you? And what are you doing in the meantime?

Hondo frowned at Mady.

-Raising her to be a good girl, obviously. Wha-what is it to you, anyway?!

She didn’t care about the frown and asked.

-What did you say, how old was she?

Hondo frowned once again.

-She is… oh she had her birthday just yesterday… or at least we made a small party for her. I believe it was the fourteenth… probably.

Mady frowned this time and asked.

-You don’t know how old your own daughter is ?

Hondo, embarrassed, looked aside and said.

-Oh, what are you so snarky all of a sudden? I said she was probably fifteen…

Mady’s eyes widened slightly.

-You said she was fourteen!

Hondo waved his hand in disregard.

-It’s literally the same number. How do you expect me to remember so many numbers... They grow up so quickly anyway... One day you don’t even know that they exist, then boom! She is fourteen, its just like that, believe me.

Mady looked in front of herself, thinking, then said.

-I always thought that it was just a stupid exaggeration.

Hondo raised one of his eyebrows and said, assuringly.

-Oh, not at all. It happens to me all the time.

Mady glanced at Hondo suspiciously and said.

-For some reason, I find that to be a bit disturbing.

Hondo slapped his palm on the counter next to the beer as he shouted.

-Hah! What should I say then?!

13