Chapter 9: Marching Onward
294 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Iron Commander, Johnson, hasn't been in a fight like the one he just had in years. Even though he lost, he was still proud of the fight that took place. There was only one thing that bothered him

'She held back in the fight.'

His opponent, Sharia The Warmonger, despite looking like she was giving it her all, was holding back on him. He had a feeling that his opponent was stronger than him but to actually hold back on him...It was something Johnson wouldn't get over in a day. Still, the soldiers watching the fight were inspired and were training harder. In a sense, he did accomplish his goal but, at what costs.

"You," Johnson pointed his weapon at one of the royal guards who flinched when Sharia introduced herself. "Come here."

The soldier looked around, confused and slightly afraid, before he made his way over to Johnson. Johnson went into a more isolated part of the training arena before he could ask his question.

"So," Johnson asked, turning around to face the guard he had brought with him, "who exactly is Sharia The Warmonger."

The soldier didn't exactly know how to respond here. Should he tell Johnson the truth and risk Johnson going after certain death or tell him what he wants? 

"And don't even think of lying to me," Johnson added before the soldier could respond. The soldier, with a sigh, decided to tell him.

"From what I know from my father, Sharia is a ruthless war criminal who, despite all her good deeds during the war, was found guilty after evidence was found suggesting Sharia was prolonging the Aclomite War."

Johnson let out a tiny chuckle. He wondered why that war was going on for so long. Their enemies, the Aclomites, were weak and their only advantage was their large army. They should have had the war in the bag. Instead, it lasted for three and a quarter years. Now he knows why.

"So it was her, huh?" Johnson said to himself, but the soldier still caught it. Johnson didn't have any kind of disgust on his face, no anger. In fact, he looked amused if anything. The soldier didn't know what to feel after seeing Johnson's face so he decided he would much rather go and take a break away from this mess. 

 

........

 

Meanwhile, Sharia The Warmonger was waiting outside Isalene's room. On the door was a sign that Sharia honestly didn't expect a royal would have on their bedroom. A Do Not Disturb sign. Since Sharia couldn't hear any sounds outside the door, she assumed Isalene was sleeping. Now normally she would go to her own chambers to sleep but Sharia couldn't. So, she was taking her post. A couple of the servants and guards that walked past were giving her a strange look but Sharia didn't mind. 

As the night firmly settled in, Warmonger kept her vigilance. Nothing happened throughout most of the night until Sharia made out the sound of tiny footsteps approaching the door from inside Isalene's room. Because of the sound the footsteps make, that means the person is barefoot. They also have tiny feet and aren't very big. Because of this reasoning, Sharia assumed it was Isalene. Her guess turned out to be correct as a sleepy princess opened the door, rubbing her eyes. She stopped rubbing her eyes and blinked in confusion when she realized someone was right next to her. That confusion turned into surprise and...embarrassment for whatever reason.

"S-Sharia!? W-what are you doing here!?" Isalene asked, stammering. The look on her face was...

'...Cute.'

Sharia shook her head. Did she really just think that? Well, it makes sense. She still has feelings. She can find things cute. She just thought her hate towards Princess Isalene would override whatever cute things a little girl can do. 

"Well, I'm here guarding you. What does it look like I am doing?" Sharia asked, once again and like all the other times not caring if she sounded rude or not.

Isalene let out a sigh. She was used to Sharia's flippant attitude. She never showed respect to anyone. Still, the fact that it is Sharia she sees, especially after doing...that...was more than a little embarrassing. While Isalene doesn't know what she did, she does know that it is something bad. Something you shouldn't tell others about nor do in public. And, it seems to have left a slight stench behind. Isalene was going to get some cleaning supplies, really one of those scented candles, to get rid of the smell. While in reality, even Sharia doesn't have that good a nose, Isalene couldn't help but think that at any moment, Sharia would ask what that smell is.

"So, what are you doing up this late, Isalene?" Sharia asked, causing Isalene to cower. Sharia raised an eyebrow at that, though of course, Isalene couldn't have seen it since Sharia is wearing a helmet like always. 

"If you're sneaking off to see that Marcus boy, just tell me. I won't stop you but I'm still coming with you."

Isalene shook her head, a little annoyed that Sharia would think she was sneaking off to see Marcus.

"Nah. Why would I do that?" Isalene asked, completely serious. Sharia was silent for a moment before shrugging.

'I guess she doesn't like him as much as I thought.'

"So, what are you up to?" Sharia asked.

Isalene gulped nervously. She did not have an answer in mind. Sharia, seeing that this won't get anywhere, shook her head with a sigh.

"Never mind," Sharia told Isalene, whose gasp of relief didn't go unnoticed. 

"You know, you sigh a lot," Isalene informed Sharia who, after a couple of seconds of her just looking at Isalene, which caused Isalene to panic, let out a chuckle.

"Yeah, well, I am old. You sigh a lot when you're old."

Isalene shook her head.

"You're not that old. If you are, you fight quite well."

Sharia patted Isalene on the head, which caused Isalene to blush in embarrassment.

"I'm old in other ways. I've gone through many experiences and choices, more so than a lot of old people. That and I am quite old to be doing what I am doing."

Isalene nodded, somewhat understanding. Of course, she really doesn't understand but is trying her best to. 

"Well, either go do whatever it is you were doing or go back to sleep."

Isalene nodded and turned around to go back into her room. She was tired after all and she can't really remember why she got out of bed in the first place. Before she did, however, she stopped. Isalene didn't know why but she suddenly felt afraid of the darkness of her room. 

"Hey, Sharia, you're suppose to protect me, right?"

"Yes," Sharia responded, puzzled.

"And you can do a better job of it in my room, right?"

"...Yes."

Isalene turned around and grabbed Sharia's free hand.

"Then what are you waiting for? Come on in for tonight."

Sharia didn't argue and allowed herself to be pulled inside. Sharia took up guarding next to the windows opposite the door while Isalene tried to fall asleep. It wasn't until Isalene was drifting off did she remember the smell.

 

________

 

Marrie Ashta was bored, like usual. On this long march, she really didn't have anything to do. Their enemies were close so she couldn't spar with any of her troops less she "accidentally" maims or kills them. She was a good strategist but there is only so many times one can go over their plans without seeing the enemy, or at least that is what she thinks. So she has been doing nothing but marching, marching onwards. Now to many, her alone is enough to raise troop morale. Not only is she a good cooker and a good strategist, but she is also the best fighter the Vanyans have. Armed with her long axe, a battle axe with only one blade end, and her strength and speed, Marrie is a name many fear. She has killed many commanders. If there was one thing the soldiers kinda don't like, it would be her personality. Marrie is a Warmonger and a total battle maniac. And she is also very pissed off. Since her promotion, she has always been pushing and preparing for war. The Vanyans were a large nomadic tribe that lived up in the cold frigid northwest. Despite having many members, being always united, and having buildings and technology that would put a lot of factions to shame, the Vanyans were still calling themselves tribes. 

To explain why Marrie's irritated, the council decided to move on with her war plans and finished one war without Marrie knowing. Now that she is in the second war, she is dying to get in some action and curb her anger. So, the better and sooner the army arrives at the place of battle, the better. 

"News for High Commander Marrie! News for High Commander Marrie!"

The shouts of a messenger boy caused everyone marching in earshot to tense up. Those who actually saw the messenger boy and Marrie were afraid. Some even dropped their weapons. Why? Simple. The messenger boy walked right past Marrie and was shouting loudly, right next to her. The look on Marrie's pretty face isn't a nice one. 

Marrie started making her way slowly towards the messenger boy, barely making any noise to not draw his attention. Her expression was unreadable but not a good one. As the messenger boy was about to cry out again, Marrie grabbed him by the back of his throat and lifted him in the air. The messenger boy struggled and reached for his knife. Marrie saw this, dropped her axe. and punched the messenger boy hard in his back, making him cough up blood. Marrie then turned him around.

"You have some nerve, you know. Walking past me and screaming in my ear."

Marrie lifted the messenger boy higher up in the air, strangling him with one hand, before slamming him into the hard ground below. Before the messenger could recover, Marrie stomped on his back, pinning him. She reached out and grabbed her axe and put the blade right next to his throat. 

"Now yer gonna tell me your message before tis one here slits your pathetic throat," Marrie growled. The messenger boy, who saw the pretty girl from before and didn't think anything of her, realized just how badly he had screwed up. He has heard the rumors and even the person who gave him the message told him that Marrie is a short-fused Warmonger who, while very pretty, will kill you if you annoy her.

"So, are ya gonna talk or not?"

"I-In my p-pocket!" The messenger boy told Marrie in the calmest voice he could muster, knowing that screaming or crying annoys Marrie and because he is hoping he can still salvage the situation.

Marrie paused and slowly reached into the pockets of the messenger boy. She managed to get the message on her first try and slowly stood up and took her foot off the messenger boy's back, though her axe was still right next to his neck. The messenger boy dared not get up and prayed that whatever is in that message is good news.

Marrie looked the letter over and was about to read was going to read what it says before she remembered the messenger boy. She moved her axe back and settled it back down...

....and it went right into the back of the messenger boy's neck, cutting his spine a little. He screamed and Marrie realized her mistake and quickly lifted her axe.

"Sorry sorry! Tis did not mean to harm ye. Thy can still walk just fine but if ye are worried, thee medics can take thy in."

Whether he heard Marrie or not, the messenger kept on screaming. Eventually, Marrie's worried look turned into a frown, then into one of annoyance.

"I'm tryin to be nice here, but ya keeping on screaming is making it hard to be. You're from our allies, the Vikings, right? They're tough and so you should be too," Marrie growled but the messenger boy was now crying. Surprisingly, the messenger boy has barely got hurt in his life, and definitely not to this degree. However, what some would consider a lucky streak, is about to be his downfall.

Marrie's left eye twitched and she raised her right foot up and stomped down on the messenger's head, hard. Then she did it again and again, the third time breaking and crushing his jaw and killing him. Marrie stomped him a fourth time, which crushed his head into a pulp. After examining her work with a snort, Marrie turned around and walked off to go read the letter somewhere more quiet, even if the entire area was quiet as many of the soldiers didn't want to risk getting her attention. 

 

....

 

The letter did not help Marrie's mood. After all, receiving news that the shops back at home were all out of milk was something that Marrie had to worry about. Still, the sooner she gets this war over with, the sooner she can get home...

....which is something she isn't entirely sure she wants to do.

Well, the letter also said that the enemies are aware that she is coming and might try to single Marrie out but, that seems pretty normal to Marrie. It isn't the first time the enemies tried to single her out to kill her, and it won't be the last.

17