chapter 2
104 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning's light hit Dia's cheeks like falling petals as it softly came into the room. Her bright green eyes blinked a few times as she started to wake up. The first thing she felt was Yoshiko's arms still around her, holding tightly like the wind might take her away if she let go. The morning light hit Yoshiko, giving her a radiant look, sleeping so peacefully like a baby bunny cozying up in the tall grass. It put a smile on Dia's face.

Dia bundled her into her arms; she was soft and warm like a stuffed toy right out the dryer. Dia had to hold her to know that it was real, there were so many cold and lonely nights where Dia would hold one of her pillows and pretend that it was Yoshiko. Only for her to wake up disappointed, dreams dashed on the rocks of reality, but this morning it was really her. She had stepped out of Dia's dreams and into her arms, and the morning light never felt so warm as it did today.

As Dia held Yoshiko, her green eyes started to glaze over as she drifted into her own thoughts. A moment ago, she felt so close, but her own fears and doubts were dragging her into an abyss of uncertainty. The questions she pushed away now came back hungry for answers, ready to prey on her mind. Would Yoshiko remember anything? Would she think that Dia took advantage of her? Would she wake up and toss Dia off her like she was a roach crawling on her skin? Or would she leave and never talk about what happened, and Dia would bury all those feelings again. Would she have to take last night and lock it away inside her heart?

Without realizing it, she had started to hold onto Yoshoko tighter, like she was protecting her from her own fears. It sounded silly, but a part of Dia hoped that if she held on just a little more, she could keep the both of them safe. That maybe this morning could just go on forever, and she would never have to face the doubt that was starting to circle around her like a vulture.

Yoshiko's violet eyes opened, having to squint to adjust the morning light. Dia froze as if she moved, Yoshiko would break like a vase. At first, Yoshiko didn't say anything, putting her face into Dia's chest, keeping her arms around her, and squeezing her. Dia could even feel her leg sliding up her own. It was as if she was checking to make sure Dia was real and not some illusion that would turn to smoke. Yoshiko took in a deep breath before looking up at Dia. Her lilac eyes had a look of contentment, and relief washed over them simultaneously.

Maybe she was in that same abyss. Perhaps her hands were reaching out into that same darkness to try and find Dia's. Dia wanted to know, but her own fear kept her hands from reaching out and taking that risk. So she stayed quiet, leaving her feelings in the air to mix with that uncertainty, a black storm cloud of fear that could swallow them both. Feelings blooming in the sun only to wither on the vine of silence.    

The two of them stayed in bed for a while. Dia didn't really know how much time had passed, but she was happy to have Yoshiko in her arms. Yoshiko was almost like a shield for Dia's own fears. That as long she could look into her violet eyes, there would always be light no matter how dark her shadows were.    

"Are you feeling better from last night?" Dia asked. Her voice sounded comforting but quiet, like she was scared that Yoshiko would run off if she spoke too loudly. She didn't run, nodding her head and looking into Dia's eyes like a mouse. She let out a tiny squeak saying, ‘thank you.’

The sound made Dia's heart feel like it could burst, hugging Yoshiko with all her might. There was a knock at the door that broke the spell. They both looked like a child told it was time to leave a friend's house, like a dream dying in the cold light of reality. Ruby was on the other side of the door, her muffled voice calling out.

"Onee-chan, breakfast is ready. Also, is Yoshiko in there?"

It was with a heavy heart that Dia let Yoshiko go. Yoshiko left the room without saying anything. Dia wanted to stop her and grab her hand and pull her back into bed. But she felt like the walls between them that had been torn down last night were being built again, with each step Yoshiko took being one more tear-stained brick being put back into the wall. Like water, the opportunity to tell Yoshiko how she really felt was slipping from her hands.

Dia laid in bed for a bit longer, holding her tears back and taking a few deep breaths to press her feelings back down. Dia didn't want anyone to know that something was wrong. After all, she was the big strong old sister. But her heart was like thin ice right now. The smallest of pressures could break it into a million tiny pieces. It was the knock at the door again

"Onee-chan, is everything ok?" Ruby's voice was as sweet as ever.

"I'll be out in a minute." Dia got dressed. It wasn't much, just a jean skirt and a white T-shirt. Going over to the mirror to look herself over, she would make tiny tugs and pulls to get the outfit to look just right. Looking over at the wooden desk, at the picture of her and Yoshiko, she couldn't help but ask herself what Yoshiko had thought about it or if she even cared at all.

That was when Dia remembered there was something else she had done that day besides take the picture. There was a letter stuffed in the back of the bottom drawer. The day the photo was taken, Dia had written it, planning to give it to Yoshiko the next day. However, instead of taking the letter with her to school, she stuffed it in that drawer where it had been ever since. She took the letter out, carefully unfolding it.

 Yoshiko,

I won't hold my feelings back any longer. I need to know if you feel the same way about me that I do about you. After practice today, please stay on the rooftop until it's just the two of us. I hope you feel the same.  

Dia.

Dia turned a bright cherry red. Starting to fold the paper back up, stopping herself and taking the pen on the desk, she wrote.

P.S.

Please don't make last night our last night together. I don't want to spend another night without you being in my arms again.  

Putting the letter into her pocket this time, she knew that she would regret it if she didn't give it to her. Entering the living room, the first years had started eating. It seemed like they had just picked back up from last night, with their casual conversation, broken up with some friendly teasing and giggles. Yoshiko was a far cry from the ball of tears that Dia had found on the back porch last night. Dia became her usual serene self as well, eating her breakfast peacefully. Still, the note in her pocket was burning a hole in the back of her mind. She would reach into her pocket to check that it was still there, reading the note in her mind, again and again, pouring over each word. Having to keep herself from running to her room to rewrite it. Hoping that her words would reach Yoshiko.

"How did you sleep last night, Onee-chan?" asked Ruby, ever the faithful little sister, her eyes the same colors as Dia's were filled with admiration for her big sister. Ruby's bright red hair hung loosely around her as she hadn't put it into her usual pigtails yet.

"Good," Dia said. Taking a bite of her breakfast, she shot a glance at Yoshiko. The two of them locked eyes for a moment before looking away, like two songbirds flying past each other in the open sky. Hanamaru was oblivious, but Ruby knew her sister better than anyone and had picked up on it, like a dog picking up a scent trail. The questions were now less casual and more probing.

"Yoshiko-chan, when I woke up, you were gone. Where did you sleep last night" Ruby asked, her voice as innocent-sounding as ever. Dia almost choked on her breakfast, her composed demeanor was broken for a second with a tiny snort. Yoshiko was able to keep a cool head.

"A fallen angel requires more space than your bed could allow. So I looked elsewhere." She let out a smug laugh as she said it, closing her eyes and placing her hand over them, making a peace sign.

"Yoshiko-chan," Hanamaru rolled her eyes as she said it.

"Yohane!" Yoshiko snapped back, her voice going up a few octaves.

‘Yoshiko was back to her regular self,’ Dia thought, taking another bite from her food. It was going to take more than that to throw Ruby off the trail, though.

"Why not sleep out here rather than in Onee-chan's room?" she asked. Her voice was still sweet, but her questions were now more pointed. The question had broken Yoshiko's composure

Dia put down her chopsticks, picked up her tea, took a sip, and answered the question.

"I don't see why that matters if we're all friends." She had an authoritative tone as she spoke.

"If you say so, Onee-chan." Ruby was still suspicious, but she was willing to drop it for now. Hanamaru was still just as clueless as before

"Now that everyone is done eating, I want a rematch, zura!" Running to ruby's room to turn the game console on. Ruby and Yoshiko were not too far behind, and just like that, the playful atmosphere of last night had returned. Dia took a deep breath and sighed, feeling like she had just barely gotten out of the way of a speeding train.

The rest of the day was uneventful, with the first years playing games in Ruby's room, filling it with carefree Laughter. Dia was happy that the three of them were having a good time, and just like last night, she would bring them tea and snacks. Having a smile on her face the whole time, just like last night too. But today, the smile was fake. Dia felt like the walls she and Yoshiko had broken down were back up high and firm, so high that she couldn't even see the top. The letter in her pocket was her last hope that she could slip it between a crack. Her feelings are like a raft slowly drifting away from Yoshiko.

There were some differences from the night before, however. Yoshiko seemed to notice her each time she came into the room. Every time she looked at Dia, it felt like a lightning bolt to the heart. Yoshiko would stop what she was doing to say thank you to her. At one point in the afternoon, Yoshiko saw that Dia was struggling to pick everything up

"Here, I am in a generous mood to help one of my little demons," she said with a smug smile on her face picking up some of the empty cups. Leaving with Dia to the kitchen.

Yoshiko put the cups in the sink, then walked up to Dia slowly. There was a provocative, even wild look in Yoshiko's eyes as she walked past Dia. Letting her fingers sensually bush Dia's shoulders. It was like lighting a fire, and Dia was burning up. Her face was red-hot, letting out a little squeal. Dia's knees were weak, and she was in disbelief that Yoshiko would tease her like this. It was taking everything in Dia's power to hold herself back. She wanted to make Yoshiko scream her name in ecstasy, to put her hands on every inch of her. To show her just how bright that fire she lit could burn. To scream out her passion and make the stars fall from the sky and land around them. But this wasn't the time or place.    

"What's wrong, my little demon?" Yoshiko said with a teasing giggle. Dia had to grip the kitchen counter, her fingers digging into it. It was all she could do from letting her passion wash over Yoshiko like a flood. Yoshiko walked away with a self-satisfied grin. Dia couldn't face going into Ruby's room for the rest of the day. If she saw Yoshiko, she wasn't going to be able to hold herself back.

It wasn't till sunset that Yoshiko decided to leave Hanamaru, having left about an hour before. The sky was overcast, but the sun was peeking out a little, so the sunset’s warm orange glow covered the yard. Yoshiko had made it to the sidewalk before there was a shout from the front door.

"Yoshiko!" It was Dia standing in the doorway.  

Her green eyes filled with intensity and determination like she was ready to cross the event horizon of something she couldn't fully understand. Still, she didn't care what was on the other side. Dia was going to see what was on the other side of those walls and didn't care what she might have to do to tear them down for good. Yoshiko could hear it in her voice, with her only just saying her name. Dia was able to say so much more. Her violet eyes started to glow with anticipation. Turning around, she held her breath and put her hands over her heart. To Dia, she really did look like an angel basking in the haze of the sunset, the fluttering of her navy blue hair in the wind like cherry blossoms in spring.

Dia walked down the stone path in the yard, brushing her own hair out of her face as the wind tossed it around. She could almost hear Yoshiko's heart beating out of her chest. Yoshiko was hanging on every move that Dia was making. She was like a baby bird just before jumping from the nest for the first time, lost in the exaltation of seeing the new world right in front of her, before getting to take off and fly.

Dia pulled the letter from her pocket and reached out with the paper in her palm. Yoshiko hesitated to take the letter. Looking into Dia's eyes.

"Sen-senpai?" Her voice was tender and meek. Yoshiko felt like she could see the sky in her eyes, and she knew that she was ready to take off into that new world and finally fly.

The wind picked up, blowing the letter right out of Dia's hands and into the air. Both of them reached to grab it, but the wind was too fast. Dia had tears welling in her eyes. It took so much for her to get to this point, only to have the wind take it all away. Her heart was crushed, her dreams becoming dust.  

A black car pulled up to the house, rolling down its window

"Yoshiko, honey. They said it's going to rain so I came to pick you up. Say goodbye to your friend and get in the car before you get wet." It was Yoshiko's mother.

"I have to go." The disappointment was heavy in her voice. As Yoshiko stepped into the car, Dia walked back inside the house. Her tears started to mix with the rain as the first drops began to fall.

2