Intruding
129 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
The Kickstarter for my comic, The Malison Hotel, starts on September 1st. Click here to sign up to be notified when it launches.

I spent so much time in my room that it was several days before I met my third housemate, Celeste.

Bliss was already at work when Anise made grilled fake turkey sandwiches for lunch. I finished mine while she was cooking the others. When she sat down to eat, she slid a plate with another sandwich across the table to me. “Can you take this up to Celeste?”

Until now, Bliss or Anise had always taken Celeste’s food up.

“Wait, is that okay?” I asked. “I haven’t even met her yet.”

Anise gave me an incredulous look. “You haven’t? Then, now’s a good time. Don’t worry, she knows about you.”

Reluctantly, I took the plate and made my way upstairs. I knocked at Celeste’s door, but received no answer. I leaned close and heard the sound of synthesized music. I hesitated, wondering if I should ask Anise what to do. However, I didn’t want to bother her. Nervously, I pushed the door open.

Inside, the lights were off and the curtains were drawn, letting in only a little light. Piles of clothes and other possessions obscured the floor. Instead of a bed, there was just a twin-size mattress in the corner, blankets, including a fitted sheet, tangled on top of it. Celeste was sitting on the mattress, face lit in blue by a television sitting on the floor in front of her. She was slender and had long blonde hair. She was playing a video game and didn’t look up.

“Uh, hello,” I said from the doorway. 

I paused to wait for an answer and when one didn’t come I added “I brought you lunch.”

I waited some more, but she still didn’t respond. Tentatively, I stepped into the room, carefully placing my foot between an old plate and a pile of makeup. After a few steps, I reached her.

“I’ll just put it here,” I said, setting the plate next to her.

“Ross, right?” she asked suddenly. Although I’d been waiting for a response this whole time, the sound of her voice stunned me and I stood frozen for a moment.

“Yeah, I’m Ross.”

“You like video games?” she asked.

I looked at the screen. A pixelated woman was fighting a group of pixelated men. “I used to play them a little when I was in school, but it’s been years. Doesn’t look like the graphics have improved much.”

Celeste rolled her eyes. “This is a retro-style indie game. Pixel art is awesome.”

I wasn’t sure what she meant, so I laughed nervously. “Ah, of course.”

“We should play together sometime. Beat-em-ups are more fun with a second player.”

Despite the sadness of the room around me, I felt myself uplifted. Playing a video game with Celeste was something to look forward to, and I was severely lacking in things to look forward to.

“Sure, I’d love to.” I immediately regretted my eagerness.

“Cool,” she said. “Tell Anise that I’m going to try to do the dishes later.”

“Okay,” I said. She didn’t say anything else, so I made my way out of her room, shutting the door.

When I told Anise about the dishes, she just laughed and did them herself.

10