Chapter I – Introduction
49 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You watched as your own flesh and blood is mutilated before your eyes. His screams for mercy filled your ears as you merely watch him get mangled apart by me. And now I plague your visions, the visions of a weak, pathetic human that could not wield a weapon like your own father. I will forever haunt your dreams, you will find no love... I will kill all you hold dear"

 

Samuel woke up with a gasp, darting his eyes around the shabby space he calls his 'home'. It was rather run-down, the walls and ceiling covered in dust and grime and the mat Samuel slept on being worn and torn. He slowly sat up, letting his brown eyes adjust to the dim light, making out the corners of his small home. He hated having those nightmares. He had them since he was 7, and they seem to just have gotten worse as he aged. He was forced to live with them until he found and killed the being in his nightmares, which he occasionally gets hints of but he ends up forgetting some time after he wakes up. After his eyes adjusted, he would raise his arms to stretch, feeling a couple of things pop which made him grunt.  Samuel was a rather muscular person, sporting a good build from years in training and combat. Riddled with scars and burn marks, his entire body was riddled with stories to tell. He had light brown hair and had a somewhat clean shave which he did himself using the blade of his sword, which unsurprisingly is the cause of some of the scars on his face.

 

Using the sliver of light coming from a crack along the walls, Samuel knew it was time to get up and get ready to get some jobs in once more, trying to make just enough coin to make it through the day. Samuel lived in poverty, selling his talent in swordsmanship to make a living slaying foul beasts that disturb the peace of the people. Slowly moving out of bed, the man would move over to a corner of his room where his clothes were sloppily folded and his armor was scattered on the ground. Putting on his simple cotton shirt and pants so he wasn't naked under his armor, he would pick up his helmet and brush a little dust off of it. His helmet was a rather dull bronze much like the rest of his arm, with a diamond-shaped visor that when lifted up shows Samuel's face in its entirety. Being inspired by Roman Gladiators, his helmet was designed to somewhat represent the men who fought for entertainment in a chance for freedom. He tossed his helmet on his bed, before reaching for the rest of his bronze armor, which was covered in scratches much like himself. Samuel always believed that his armor would give off a threatening aura which at times was true. Having finally slipped on his armor and his helmet, he reached for his steel blade, the only remnant of his father which Samuel holds dear. Unlike his armor, Samuel makes sure to keep his blade sharp and polished in memory of his father. He didn't bother to eat anything, not like he had food anyways as he would head out of his shabby living quarters and into the town he is settled in, the town of Hethengard.

 

Walking along the smooth gravel road, Samuel usually gets a mixed reception from other people. Some find his presence welcoming, a man protecting the weak and innocent living in their hometown is a positive thing while others saw him as a murderer, killing only to make coin. Since the day was young people were still setting up shop or asleep, Samuel giving nods to familiar faces who in turn nodded back. Samuel knew the route to where he needed to be like the back of his hand, as well as the inhabitants of this town. The first one to come around to greet Samuel, and usually the only one to do so was a Dwarf named "Balor", a short one with a Warhammer slightly taller than himself, with the prideful ginger beard and viking-like armor, Balor was a mercenary much like Samuel, and they occasionally worked together.

 

"Ah, Samuel! I see you are up and at 'em early once more!" the Dwarf said, having to hold his Warhammer like a cane or he would bump into everything. Samuel turned to the small Dwarf, giving him a nod. "Indeed I am Balor, gives me more time to make coin" he added as Balor let out a hearty chuckle. "Ha! Right indeed old chum, right indeed!" he called out before walking off, leaving Samuel alone once more as his destination arrived closer. Samuel never really understood being called old, as he was merely 30, but he supposed it was rather old. Guards of Hethengard would watch Samuel walk by, wearing simple leather armor and wielding a spear. They were more like police than they were soldiers, probably capable of taking out a few pesky raiders if need be. They knew they weren't as skilled as Samuel or other mercenaries, so they never dared to insult people like himself. They learned to respect them, knowing the feats they have obtained would never surpass that of a mercenary. However the silence of the rather small town would be interrupted with the scream of a woman, followed by a few guards in an attack position with their spears in front of them.

 

Samuel walked to them, to see a small green figure, at least a foot and a half shorter then he was, with a young lady forced on the ground naked, sobbing as she had some type of crude dagger held to her neck in the middle of an alleyway. The green figure was a Goblin, with rather long, pointy ears and sharp teeth, wearing nothing but a loincloth to cover its lower regions. "Stand back humans! If any of you move I'll slit this lady's throat!" it commanded as it pulled the woman's hair back to make her look up, yelping as she continued crying. Samuel would stand behind them, before gently tapping a Guard's shoulder. The Guard would turn to him, before giving a slow nod and motioning the other Guards to make room for him. Samuel would pass the guards, looking at the Goblin below him as the Goblin gave a toothy smile. "Look at the shiny tin man. Care to join the show as I rape this woman?" it asked as Samuel took another step forward, making the Goblin growl. "Does the tin man want a closer look? Or would he like to be murdered instead?" it asked, as with one more step of Samuel the Goblin screamed, two more Goblins coming from above with daggers at the ready, preparing to ambush Samuel.

 

But in a split second, Samuel's blade would leave the sheath it belonged too, and be quickly swung upwards to counter the ambush. With two clean slicing sounds, blood would spill on Samuel's armor as the two halved Goblins laid limp on the floor, entrails slowly pouring out as the Guards looked in horror. The Goblin with the woman would stumble back as he did so, getting behind the woman before it tried to quickly raise its loincloth to violate the innocent woman, whereas Samuel brought his blade to the creature's jaw, splitting its head clean open and killing it instantly as Samuel pulled his blade out, swinging it near the ground gently to clean it of the blood it had collected before sheathing it as the woman quickly sprang up, wrapping her arms around the armored man and crying, her body pressed against his armor. Samuel would turn to the Guards and simply tell them. "Get this maiden to safety" to which the Guards gently pulled the crying woman off of Samuel and wrapped a blanket around her, walking off as one stood behind Samuel.

 

"You are a good man, Samuel." the voice said, as it was the voice of an Officer, who would still wield the same gear of his guard brethren with some minor changes to indicate his position. Samuel turned to the man, his helmet, chestplate, and gauntlets being covered in the blood of the slain Goblins. "I do as I can, I am more used to taking the lives of these creatures than your soldiers. I don't accuse you or your men of being weak, as you keep the order among your people. But i'm afraid when it comes to non-human threats, you fall short." he said as the Officer nodded. "Indeed sir, we weren't trained to handle those kinds of threats. Even though it was a mere Goblin, the speed, and agility of these monsters prevent us from dealing with them. Our armor is weak and our weapons aren't built for combat like that. Yet despite our pleads of providing better gear and weapons, the Nobility says what we have is enough" he said as Samuel looked to his spear. "Every weapon has its own advantages and disadvantages. Your spear is built for stabbing into foes from a safe distance, yet with enough room, you can swing it around to bludgeon your foes." Samuel said as he reached for the spear, to which the Officer nodded and let go, allowing Samuel to take it to inspect it. "These spears are of mediocre quality. Make sure to keep it sharpened and tended to. If the Nobility refuses to provide proper gear, go to the town's weaponsmith. Tell him I sent you. His weapons are unmatched. Being of Draconic heritage, he uses his own flames to produce high-grade weapons. He should be able to get you a proper dagger, tuck it under your belt and when the time comes, drop your spear and draw your dagger" he said, handing the Officer back his spear before passing by him, as the Officer said nothing in responses, going to follow behind the rest of the Guards

 

A few moments later, Samuel would reach the large board in a corner of the town, with several other mercenaries looking through it to find jobs to make coin. The board was put covered in pieces of paper that held people's requests and what the payment was. When the people around him lessened, he would go to the board to take a gander. Most were simple deeds, like clearing a trading route of it's invaders or escorting someone to a certain location. However, one, in particular, caught his eyes. In fine ink, it read;

 

"To any that may find this as their fancy,

The ruthless Lupus has emerged once more from its slumber

Seeking out to cause trouble once more

Several have tried but all have failed to slay the beast

But one shall prevail.

The first to arrive with the head of Lupus may receive 300 in gold coins"

 

Samuel appreciated a job like this, more advanced monsters had a bigger pay and would prove quite the match for Samuel. Without further question, he would take the paper and roll it up, sticking it in his satchel which would be behind him. Luckily directions were printed on that back, as Samuel chooses to set off what would be a few hour walk, fortunately. What exactly was Lupus? Only seeing himself would prevail... 

0