Chapter 14
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door opened with a creak and everyone was immediately wide awake, eager to hear some good news about how this was all a precaution and we’d be allowed to go home as soon as possible.

Doctor Hunter returned with an older man and two other soldiers as escorts. They were all wearing space suits.

“Colonel,” said Doctor Hunter. “These are the six suspected cases. One of them is yours.”

When the Colonel saw Kenji he walked over to him. “Are you OK, Private?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good to hear. Are they looking after you?”

“So far so good, sir.”

“Excellent. We shouldn’t be too long.”

So far so good? Was Kenji just saying that because he was afraid of his superiors?

“What do you recommend, doctor?” the Colonel asked.

“From what we can gather it sounds like they all came in direct contact with the virus. It’s highly probable these people are also infected.”

“Why aren’t they showing symptoms?”

“We’re not sure. Maybe the virus is slowing down. Maybe it’s mutating and adapting again. Or maybe their bodies are actually fighting it. Whatever the case might be, we have to be sure. We need to do a full battery of tests. We have to study them. They may hold the key to a cure.”

The Colonel leant over Officer Dennis and inspected his wounded leg. “What do you suggest?”

“We need blood samples, tissue samples, bone marrow. We need everything.”

Jack spoke up. “Bone marrow? Isn’t that like, really painful?”

“Are you sure it’s completely necessary, doctor?” the colonel asked on Jack’s behalf, seemingly with genuine concern.

“Absolutely. We need all the data we can get. We need to study their organs, their muscle fibers, their brains. The frontal lobe in particular. We need everything.”

The Colonel nodded his head. “OK. Do it.”

OK? Wait a minute. Just how did they expect to study our organs? Or our brains?

“Kenji?” I asked. “What’s going on?”

“Sir, is everything all right?” Kenji asked the Colonel.

“Private, we have reason to believe you have all been in close direct contact with a carrier of the Oz virus.”

“Well, yes, technically it is possible. But we were able to contain and neutralize any threat of infection.”

“Of course. I would expect nothing less. You’re an excellent Marine. A fine marksman, according to your file. But we can’t take any chances.”

“Sir, you must believe me.” Kenji was getting worried. I could hear it in the strain of his voice. He was also starting to struggle against the restraints. He wanted to get the hell out. And if he wanted to get the hell out…

“Private, you’ve been briefed on the virus. You know exactly what it does. You’ve experienced it first hand in the field. You’ve seen the devastating effects. You understand better than anyone that this has to be done.”

What has to be done? Were they still talking about blood and tissue samples? Judging by the look on Kenji’s face I sort of got the feeling they were talking about something much, much worse.

I looked over at the doctor, he was busy arranging a whole assortment of scalpels and knives and other sharp and shiny surgical instruments.

Suddenly there was another thump that came from the fridge. And another. It was much louder this time. Doctor Hunter stopped arranging his instruments.

One of the soldiers pointed his rifle in the direction of the fridge. “Is that what I think it is?”

“What is the temperature reading on the control panel of the fridge?” Doctor Hunter asked the closest soldier.

The soldier inched his way closer to the fridge and the thumping noise. “Four degrees Celsius.”

Doctor Hunter swore. “They’re supposed to be set to minus twenty. Freezing them is the only way to contain them.”

“You’ve got some of them stored down here?” Kenji asked. “Are you insane?”

The colonel backed away, closer to the entrance. “Lower the temperature immediately,” he ordered. “Check the locks. I don’t want another containment failure. That’s the last thing we need in the middle of North Sydney.”

There was another loud thump and both the soldiers raised their rifles.

The Colonel was standing next to the entry door now. “Why wasn’t it set at the right temperature?”

“I have no idea, sir,” Doctor Hunter said.

The Colonel pointed at one of the soldiers. “Fix it,” he ordered. “Now.”

The soldier reluctantly lowered his rifle. “Yes, sir.”

“How long do you need to have everything ready?” the Colonel asked Doctor Hunter.

“I’ll need at least a few hours for the removal of vital organs. Another hour or so to pack them securely.”

“Very well. I want these specimens ready for extraction by 0800 hours.”

“Yes, sir.”

“We’re ordering the evacuation of Northern Sydney. If you’re not ready, we’re leaving without you.”

The Colonel left in a hurry.

 

 

1