Chapter 23
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was chewing on a stale protein bar and feeling cautiously optimistic about our plan. I was staring out at the water and slowly coming to terms with the fact that I would have to dive right back in and basically swim a marathon.

Maria was staring at the water as well. “Do you think they’ll be looking for us?”

“Who?”

“The bad guys. The guys with the guns.”

“I don’t know. But remember what the Colonel said back in the morgue? It sounded like the military were evacuating, like they were on the back foot. He mentioned something about a containment failure. I think whatever their dealing with, the virus or whatever, is taking up all their resources at the moment. What do you think, Kenji?”

I was eager to get his thoughts on the matter since he would have the best idea of how the military would act and what their next move would be. But Kenji was still struggling.

“I don’t know what to think anymore,” he said flatly. “But we need to get out of the city. The military’s only concern right now is to contain the virus. And you saw the lengths they’ll go to do that. I personally think they’ve completely lost control. I’m starting to think it’s too late.”

I wanted to ask him, too late for what? Did he mean the virus was going to take over and kill everyone, or did he mean the military was going to start using nuclear weapons? Either way, it was bad news for us. I decided to put those thoughts out of my head. I’d go crazy if I kept thinking about it.

I was just about to start on my third energy bar when we heard a rumbling noise. At first I wasn’t sure what it was. It wasn’t a jet. The noise was lower, deeper, causing the boat to vibrate. And it was getting closer.

“It’s an Apache,” Kenji said.

We suddenly realized that all the blinds and curtains were wide open in the cabin. We ran and dived underneath the windows.

“Oh god, do you think they saw us?” Jack asked.

Kenji shook his head. “They would’ve fired if they saw us.”

We still couldn’t see the chopper but we could definitely hear it. It must have been hovering directly over us.

Maria had pressed herself flat into the carpet and Kim was next to her. Maria was squeezing Kim’s hand.

“So what now?” I asked.

“Just don’t move,” Kenji whispered.

I think that was the last thing any of us would’ve done at that point. I couldn’t move even if I wanted to. I was frozen with fear. The chopper continued to hover over the catamaran, waiting and watching. Had it seen us? Or was it just searching the area?

It was tempting to try and sneak a peek, so I could at least see what the hell it was doing, but then it started to move closer, moving around the boat. The windows shook with the vibrations caused by the rotor blades. I put my hands over my ears and shut my eyes. If it was going to do anything, if it had seen us, if it was going to kill us, it would be now.

I held my breath and counted to ten.

“Get ready to run,” Kenji said with a surprisingly calm and steady voice.

“What?” I asked. “Are you serious?”

“If it opens fire with the machine gun, get to the other side of the boat and dive into the water, use the other boats in the harbor as cover. Move quickly but stay as low as possible.”

Kenji’s training was kicking in.

“What if they open fire with missiles or rockets or something?” Jack asked.

“Then we’re dead. Simple as that.”

I was still holding my breath as I prepared myself to run. I was visualizing in my head how I was going to do it. I’d crouch-run to the other side, bullets would be tearing into the cabin all around us but they wouldn’t hit us. Then I’d execute a perfect swan dive off the side of the boat and swim underneath the rest of the super yachts in the harbor, using them as cover. What could possibly go wrong?

“On the count of three, we go,” Kenji announced.

“Wait!” I said. “I thought you said only if they start shooting?”

“Change of plans. I don’t want to be here when they start blazing away.”

I saw his point.

Kenji started his count. Jack started swearing.

“One.”

The chopper circled again but sounded like it was moving further away.

“Two.”

I wanted to ask Kenji if we go right on ‘three’ or if we go after ‘three’. But Kenji stopped counting. The chopper had moved even further away.

“What’s happening?” Jack asked. “Are we going or what?”

“Hold on,” Kenji said.

The sound of the helicopter blades began to fade. The windows stopped vibrating.

“It’s leaving.”

I was so relieved I started laughing, we all started laughing. It was a weird reaction but I guess we were just happy we were still alive.

As soon as it was clear, Kenji was up and closing as many blinds as he could. Unfortunately there weren’t very many. We were still exposed.

“It’s not safe here in the open like this,” Kim said.

A feeling of paranoia began to sink in. It felt like we were being watched.

“Why would they search these boats?” Jack asked as he moved around the cabin, looking out each window. “Why would they search this one so thoroughly?”

“Maybe they saw us?” Maria said.

“Wouldn’t surprise me. They’ve probably got snipers all through the city,” Kenji said, putting us even more on edge. “On the roof of one of these buildings. Perfect spot. That’s where I’d be.”

“OK, that’s it. We’re getting out of here,” Kim announced. “Pack up as much food as possible.”

I was about to protest because I needed more time to recover and I thought we should at least wait until night time before we made our escape.

But I didn’t get the chance.

Jack and Kenji saw it first. It was a jet flying at break neck speed. Its razor sharp nose was pointed right at us.

 

1