Winter’s End
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What does the content of the letter say, Xiao Yue?” 

Voice low and somber, an old man rhythmically stroked his beard as his eyes remained closed in deep contemplation. Adorning a dark royal blue robe with silver crane patterns running along his sleeves, his posture was relaxed yet regal as he sat on an intricately carved wooden chair. By his side, a blood red jade ornament dangled, once in a while reflecting sunlight. 

Outside, standing at the edge of the balcony, a young maiden of 15, Yue er,  held a sweet smile on her face as she turned around and brightly answered, “The letter was from biaojie. Do not worry grandfather, biaojie says she is already on her way. She will make it in time for grandfather’s birthday.”

As Yue er finished speaking, her cheeks filled with excitement, a happy glow seeming to radiate off her entire being as she refocused her attention on the small slip of paper in her hands, giving it another glance over. Carefully, after Yue er had memorized the single phrase written neatly in black ink on the small slip of paper, she held it to a nearby candle and watched as the slip of paper burned to ashes. 

“That child has been gone from the capital for so long, many things have changed. Take good care of her, Xiao Yue.” 

“Yue er understands. Biaojie has already instructed Yue er to prepare in advance. Everything has already been arranged for biaojie’s arrival.”

“Hmm, nothing can go wrong during this period.”

Despite his somber features, the old man’s voice was gentle and warm. He had stopped stroking his beard and opened his eyes to focus on the distant scenery, revealing a peculiar pair of wise amber eyes. The day was no longer young and the sun had begun to set. Sighing to himself as he thought of the past, the old man wistfully smiled and stood up. Silently, Yue er made her way to his side to help him. 

“No need to accompany me.” 

Yue er nodded her head in understanding, merely watching as her grandfather exited the room. She knew, the season that woman loved had come once again and before the grand banquet, she would no longer be able to meet her grandfather. Perhaps until the very last petal of the millenium blossom shed, he would be under it accompanying that lonesome and forlorn stone grave that was bereft of a name. 

Returning her attention back onto the emptying street, Yue er unconsciously caressed the blood red jade bangle on her wrist, comforted by its warmth as she heaved a heavy sigh. In the distance, she spotted a herd of migratory birds returning home. The winter wind had passed, hailing in the scent of spring and yet, Yue er knew...the peaceful days would soon be over.

1