Ch. 254: Demons
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lara felt the anxiety in her chest swell to a size she’d never experienced before. Perhaps she shouldn’t have said anything at all. The sheer curve of Emberlynn’s brow was enough to send her running with her tail between her legs.

“And what would you suggest?” Emberlynn asked, her sharp eyes befitting of a diplomat.

“Answer her!” Wind exclaimed.

Lara blinked, nearly losing the thought as quickly as it had come. “W-what if we exported—er, transported the older girls to the Venicia School of Etiquette?” She swallowed when Emberlynn said nothing. “It would be a fine way to bridge the tense relationships between our islands and form unity in a way that, uh, makes things good for both sides.”

Tristan tilted his head as he observed her and pinched his chin. “That…could work. What say you, Madame Emberlynn?”

Emberlynn drummed her fingers against the table, sticking her nose in the air as she regarded Lara. “So, you would suggest that we take the ones who are beyond hope and ship them away to Shi Island against their will?”

Lara had the distinct feeling that everything was a contest to Emberlynn. Answering questions with questions, poking holes through the logic of one’s suggestion, offering snide snickers when the answers desired weren’t the ones she was looking for. Lara’s mind was much too slow for this pace of conversation, and so she clammed up, unable to provide a counterpoint.

“This is a game to her,” Fire said, chuckling. “She is brimming with passion.”

Lara gathered that much, but she struggled to understand the conversation. It seemed as if Emberlynn enjoyed watching them struggle to find solutions for a problem she implied may not even exist. How Tristan could do it, she had no idea.

“They’re not considered adults yet, are they?” Tristan asked.

Emberlynn offered the slightest hint of a smile. “Strictly speaking, no. They are not.”

“I think Tristan has the edge,” Wind said. She turned into a fluorescent green ribbon, then wrapped herself around Tristan’s neck. Tristan rubbed the section Wind had covered, and Wind giggled. “He can tell something is different about his neck! What a smart boy! And cute!”

Lara blushed. “Wind, stop that,” she said in what could barely count as a whisper. Being an Element of information, Wind could hear things to much greater degrees than any of the Elements. She was also more playful and a bit of a trickster, which always left Lara a little uneasy. Girls at the school were quick to assume that Lara was up to no good whenever something strange happened around her.

“Then, would they not have any rights?” Tristan asked. “From what I understand of the books I’ve read, many catgirls do not acquire their first Class until they are fifteen years of age. Many of the girls will be younger than that, and as far as I understand it, acquiring a Class is how society deems one as an adult. I agree with Lara that enlisting them in the Venicia School of Etiquette would be a fine way to alleviate the pressure from the existing nyannies on San Island.”

Emberlynn studied him in silence for some time. “Allow me to summarize,” she said at last. “We will strike a bargain with the other islands—preferably Shi Island, due to its extensive experience in child-rearing—and offer food and a roof over one’s head in exchange for their experience.” When Tristan nodded, Emberylnn continued. “Those who are too old for a nanny or are nearing adulthood will be corralled and shipped off to the school. Do I understand this correctly?”

“I wouldn’t use such a brash term,” Tristan said, “but you have the right of it.”

“I see.” Emberlynn straightened her posture. “You understand that I cannot make this decision on my own. I am but one woman amongst a plethora of cities on San Island.” She rotated the large ring on her pinky finger. “I could offer you my vote, but it will hold little sway. Zhuli has no need for extra nyannies, income, or guards.”

“Don’t undermine your power, Mother,” Ravyn hissed.

Emberlynn studied her in silence.

Lara wondered if speaking with those in the other cities would be necessary. She now had her answer.

“She’s playing around with us!” Wind exclaimed angrily.

Earth hummed beneath Lara’s feet, and she nearly jumped out of her chair. “Where there are Bells, there are enemies.” He chuckled a slow and hearty chuckle. “How amusing.”

“Get lost, braggart,” Fire said.

Lara shook her head, focusing on the distant sounds of Tristan and Emberlynn’s voices. The Elements were loud, and their voices did not simply reach her ears but punctured her skull anytime they spoke. Sifting through the noise was difficult, but eventually, she managed after hissing a silent request for them to quiet.

“Then we must speak with Melody and the others,” Tristan said. “Can outside cities overturn the policies of another?”

Emberlynn shook her head. “Not in most cases. There has to be clear sabotage or ill intent behind the leading body. Melody would have to be found convicted of a crime warranting said change. Alternatively, policies can be overturned in exceptional circumstances. However, this will require the outside cities to provide an explanation as to why their policies are damaging to San Island as a whole.”

“I understand what you’re saying, but I know that an island’s man can overturn a ruling with two natives present,” Tristan countered. “I was forced to do so on Shi Island.”

“Shi Island’s population is far smaller than San’s, and you will be hard-pressed to find two high-ranking natives that will agree to this.”

“I wasn’t aware ranking had anything to do with it.”

Emberlynn smiled. “Ranking has everything to do with it. Otherwise, you risk uprisings in the island’s many cities. Something Cailu is well aware of.”

This is impossible, Lara thought.

Cailu had fitted Master Tristan with an impossible task. The island flourished on its promise of a better life, and to suggest that those in power had been doing it wrong was no doubt a quick way to get exiled.

“You must tread carefully, Tristan,” Emberlynn warned with an extended finger. “You were wise to come here first. The women who lead these cities are amongst the best in Nyarlea. They know every loophole in Nyalean law, every trick, and as I am sure Ravyn has told you, only the best spellcasters emerge from San Island.” She shook her head. “Never offer your trust. Only your cooperation.”

“Mother, that’s—” Ravyn started.

“The truth. And you know it.”

Ravyn bowed her head, her expression dark.

“I’m sorry. I must excuse myself,” Destiny suddenly said, quickly standing up from her chair, the legs screeching against the floor.

“Destiny? Are you all right?” Tristan asked, his brow furrowed.

Destiny didn’t respond. She rounded the table, easily evading Lara’s grasp when she reached for her sister’s arm. Tristan called for her again, standing from his own seat. Destiny ignored him, then left through the door, shutting it behind her.

“Destiny?” Tristan said, his mouth agape.

“Tristan,” Ravyn said, grabbing his attention. She shook her head, and with obvious reluctance, he sat back down and adjusted his spot at the table.

“I’m sorry.”

Emberlynn eyed him. “Do not apologize for the actions of another. You expressed concern in her sudden desire to leave. That is understandable.”

“She’s not okay,” Wind said with a hint of concern in her voice. “Her thoughts are muddled.”

As far as Lara knew, Wind could not hear a person's thoughts. There had been times when Lara could communicate with the Elements through telepathy, but as far as she understood, that was a rare symptom she had yet to find the cause for.

“How do you know?” Lara asked quietly.

“I just do. I have a sense for these things.”

Wind would not go see to Destiny for Lara. Despite their closeness, Wind was a selfish Element and went wherever she pleased. Unless Lara demanded it in a Spell or Wind found something amusing, Wind would stay by her side.

“Can you watch her for a little bit?” Lara pleaded.

Wind shook her head. “No, I want to see what’s happening here.”

Lara sighed, then stood up from her chair next. “My apologies,” she said, bowing at the waist. “But she’s my sister, and I want to make sure she’s feeling all right. Please continue without me.”

Emberlynn cocked a brow. Irritated with her disrespect, no doubt. Celestia had said hundreds of times how disrespectful Lara was, so this was a typical reaction. Lara pushed her chair against the table, taking great care not to scrape the floor like Destiny had earlier. The room went silent as Emberlynn, Tristan, Ravyn, and even Ravyn’s parrot familiar eyed her as she left.

Lara caught the tip of Destiny’s tail disappearing around a corner downstairs. She kept her hand on the railing as she descended the steps, nearly falling over when the tip of her foot caught one of the holes in the rug. She yelped, catching her footing, and readjusted her attire before continuing after her sister.

When she reached the hallway, Destiny was nowhere to be seen. One of the servants exited the room to her right, and she approached.

“Excuse me, but have you seen my sister, Destiny?” Lara asked. “Short hair, wears a dress like mine?”

The servant shook her head. “No, I’m sorry. I haven’t seen anyone like that.”

Lara nodded and took to the room on her immediate left. Maybe she’d find her in one of the common rooms. As she entered the enormous room, a pair of women were talking gleefully over cups of tea. As soon as they saw Lara, they gasped and shot to their feet.

“I-I’m sorry! Is there anything we can do to help you?” the one on the left asked.

Lara shook her head, ran past them, then stopped to turn around. “Yes! Actually!”

“Yes?” they exclaimed in unison.

“Have you seen a girl with short hair and a dress like mine come by here?”

The girls pointed down the hallway to Lara’s left. 

“Thank you!” She waved her appreciation, then strode down the hall on the balls of her feet, bobbing side to side. Rooms flanked her sides, and as she drew close to a room on her right, she stopped when she heard a strange noise. “What is that?” she whispered, leaning in with one fluffy ear. “Sister?”

Lara tried the handle but found that it was locked. She knocked on the door, and the noise halted. “Destiny, is that you?” Lara asked.

No response.

She tried the knob again, but no matter how hard she pulled, the lock held firm.

Earth appeared beside her in the shape of a man’s torso. His body was covered in red and gold—he liked to match the decor of the environment most of the time—and he wore a large grin. “Need some help?” the proud Element asked.

“Please?” Lara said with her hands clasped. “Can you help me get in?”

Earth raised one chunky hand toward the handle. A series of clicks followed, and the Element lowered his hand. “It is done.”

“Thank you, Earth!”

“Mm.”

Lara drew a deep breath, put her hand on the knob, then turned. As she pushed the door open, she found the room dark. The curtains were drawn, offering minimal rays of light to guide her path. Even so, she could recognize Destiny’s silhouette a mile away. She sat in a corner, her hands wrapped around her knees. Her quiet sobs filled the room, so Lara approached and sat in front of her sister, dress firmly beneath the knees, as was proper for a Shi Island maid.

“Destiny,” Lara whispered. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m u-useless,” Destiny stammered. “So…so damn useless. I couldn’t help him at all. I understood nothing.”

Lara blinked. “Sister, I—”

“I want to be helpful. I want to do anything.

Lara touched Destiny’s shoulder. Wind danced in a ribbon beneath Destiny’s chin, collecting the tears that fell free.

“You staying at Tristan’s side is what he needs most right now,” Lara assured her. “I’m sure this is just as hard for him.”

“He’s not Ravyn, that’s for sure,” Fire said, flickering in a nearby oil lamp.

“Not now,” Lara hissed.

“Celestia never should have let me out of that room. Everything would be better if I just wasn’t here.” Destiny relaxed her legs and rested her head on Lara’s shoulder.

Lara stroked her sister’s hair, fighting back her own tears. “That’s not true, Destiny. I don’t want a world without you. And I know Tristan feels the same way.” She stole a long, deep breath, then said, “If you want to go home, we’ll go home.”

Destiny’s sobs against Lara’s shoulder muffled her reply.

Lara held her close and let her cry. No matter what Destiny decided, Lara would always be by her side.

33c5njD.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback, and Audible! Volume Two and Volume Three are available on eBook and Paperback.

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Yomi’s Tier: SkySom, DiscountDan

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Ed, Flaming Moose, Alex bagster-collins, William Martin

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Lazarus G, LT_Ashpole, GreatFireLegend, 0hawkclaw0

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Skade, Rosalee, SharktoothJack, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Blaze, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Zak Stromquist, Spencer decoteau, Jacob Moore, Alex H Cowley, Zeklor, Carmine, Neko1967, KH

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

2