Chapter 42: One Cannot Step Twice in the Same River
859 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ll be the first one to admit it. I was not looking forward to getting back on a boat. Our last journey ended with Ravyn frying up a herd of fishcats, and I was sure there were plenty of other Encroachers waiting out there to call us dinner.

At least this time, I felt ready. Higher Level, better gear, and a full Party. Still, it was tough to shake that nagging feeling that my encounters so far were only the beginning.

Keke, Cannoli, Ravyn, and I found Portia on the dock, caring for and crooning over her new sloop like a newborn baby. The Bells she’d won from her card games with Cailu had paid off.

“How’s sailing, Portia?” I called with a wave.

“Oh, Goddess above, never been better!” Portia laughed. She hopped from the deck to the dock and greeted us with a smile. The tattoos on her arm flexed and reshaped as she stretched her arms. “She steers like a dream. And she’s big enough to keep the damn roaches away. Most of ‘em, anyway.”

Heh. I have a feeling that it isn’t just the boat that keeps them away,” Ravyn snickered, coiling her thick red tail around her leg.

“You probably have a point there. Got a few new weapons in the kit to boot.” Portia cracked her neck, and the silver hoops in her left ear caught the sunlight. “What can I do for my favorite customers?”

“We’re on a Quest!” Cannoli announced. Buttons, her blue blazard, scurried into her hair and took a seat on the top of her head, bobbing his head in time with hers. “We need to find the men on the other islands!”

Portia ran a hand through her cropped green hair. “Hmm. Well, ya know where Cailu is. Though his purse is a lot lighter.”

“Right. Not Cailu,” Keke agreed. The ocean breeze blew her dark brown hair back and the scent of her with it. She always smelled incredible.

“Cailu’s the one who sent us on this little adventure in the first place. Now we need to go to Ichi Island and Shi Island,” I explained. “But I’m not sure where to start.”

“Ichi’s dangerous as hell. There’s a lotta high-leveled Encroachers and more Defiled there than Nyarlothep, as I heard it.” Portia crossed her arms. “And the desert is a pain to cross without the right equipment.”

“I went there once. I’m not looking forward to going back,” Ravyn added.

Portia nodded. “Shi Island is, er, well…” She trailed, chewing in thought. “Shi Island is strange.”

“Strange how?” I asked. After our escapades on San Island, I wondered how much ‘stranger’ Nyarlea could get.

“It’s a pretty harmless island, I think. But the girls there, they’re a weird bunch,” Portia said.

“They can’t be much weirder than Ravyn, right?” Keke asked with a dry laugh.

Hey. Eat shit,” Ravyn snapped. Ball Gag, her hellkite familiar, snickered from his perch on her shoulder.

I hate that bird.

Portia laughed. “If I had to choose between Ichi and Shi to visit first, I’d say Shi. It’ll be an overnight ride, but the sloop has plenty of room for all of ya. We can take turns on watch.”

“That sounds great. We should have enough Bells for the trip.” I dug through my [Cat Pack] and procured a section of the money left over from our equipment run. We’d made a solid amount off of the four lizard Encroachers we’d hunted the day before, so I knew we’d have enough money for inn stays and food. It was nice not scraping the bottom of the barrel for Bells.

“Oh, Matt, I can pay my own way. It’s okay!” Cannoli said, her fluffy white ears perking up as she rifled through her pack. “We made lots yesterday!”

“Let me have this one,” I insisted. “You girls have done enough for me.”

Cannoli beamed, then tied her [Cat Pack] shut. “Alright.”

I paid, and we swapped to [Combat Mode] before boarding. Portia swiftly had us out to sea, and I sat down with the iPaw. I’d thought about where I wanted my points to go before I’d Leveled, so it didn’t take much time to throw my Stat point into [Resistance] and the Class Point into [Adrenaline Rush]. After Cannoli’s explanation of [Resistance] on our return from San, and the Shulan Defiled’s Enchantment display, anything to resist that bullshit was welcome.

With that out of the way, I decided to take a look at our Party and see what we had to work with.

Matt

Base Level 5
Warrior Class Level 5
Base Experience: 710/1000
Class Experience: 710/1000
Health Points: 39/39
Myana Points: 5/5
Energy: 20/21
Strength: 3 +4
Vitality: 2 +2
Dexterity: 1
Agility: 1 +1
Magic: 1
Resistance: 2 +3

 

I grinned from ear to ear. For once in my life, I was making visible progress. Though, something about my Stats seemed off.

Where am I getting 11 more [Health Points]?

I distinctly remembered having 28 [Health Points] before I hit Base Level 5. In fact, my [Strength] and [Vitality] looked higher than I remembered as well. I wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I needed to know what was going on. I thought about asking Keke, but I decided to go straight to the source for the information.

“Hey, Ai,” I said.

Seconds later, a window with Ai’s portrait appeared on the iPaw’s screen. The pixelated, blue-haired catgirl had returned to her Ni Island sailor’s outfit, and the sound of her monotone voice was somehow comforting. “Can you help me out?”

“How may I assist, [User Matthew]?”

I frowned. Start calling me Matt, for starters. “My Stats seem to be a bit higher than I remember. My [Strength] and [Vitality] as well. I didn’t put them up myself, so I was wondering if you knew about some feature I might’ve missed.”

She blinked. “Are you referring to the Class Bonus received at Class Level 5?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “Would that explain it?”

“Possibly. First Classes receive a bonus to their Stats upon reaching Class Level 5.” Ai pointed up with one finger, and the list of notifications started to scroll. It stopped on an announcement detailing that I’d received a Class Bonus. “Perhaps you missed it.”

I scratched my head. “Not sure how I would have.”

“You were intoxicated that night,” Ai said with, dare I say, a hint of motherly judgment in her voice.

“You saw that?”

Ai nodded. “Yes. You dropped me three times.”

I swallowed. “S-so, will the notification explain it, or would you be more helpful?”

“Yes, that is the objective of the notification,” Ai said after a pause. “They are simple in nature. Upon reaching Class Level 5, you will receive a boost to your Stats. Congratulations.”

“Will I get bonuses every five Levels?”

“Not necessarily,” she replied.

Silence.

I see we’re not chatty today. As helpful as the iPaw was, Ai could be frustratingly vague. “Thanks, Ai. That’s all.”

The stern catgirl nodded, her portrait disappearing. I tapped the notification I’d received and skimmed over the Class Bonus. It’d given me a point of [Strength], [Vitality], and 5 additional [Health Points]. No wonder I felt so damn good.

39 [Health Points]. Hell yeah!

With that out of the way, I scrolled up to see if there was anything else I missed, and lo and behold, there was. A message stating that [Axe Mastery] had granted me a new bonus popped up, and I pressed my index finger against it. A large window took up the screen, detailing the new bonuses accompanied with [Axe Mastery], and I rattled them off to myself.

“Efficiency and damage increases to 10%. In addition, user is granted a toggle. When activated, attacks draw more [Enmity].” That was great on its own, but the best part came at the end. “[Enmity]-boosting effects from other toggles stack.”

I hissed through my teeth. I had to call upon Ai. Again. The girls were resting below deck, and I wasn’t about to disturb them. Besides, that’s what Ai was for… Right?

“Hey, Ai,” I started. “I got one last question for you.”

Her portrait appeared once more. “Yes, [User Matthew]?”

“How do I use a toggle Skill?”

The smallest hint of a smile tugged at her lips. “Toggles may be turned on or off at will. Think it, and it will occur.”

“So…like breathing?” I sighed as I realized how dumb that sounded. “What I mean is it’ll just come naturally to me? Like breathing?” I cringed. Still dumb.

Her smile faded. “Yes.”

“Thanks, Ai. I’ll leave you alone now.”

Her portrait disappeared, and I released a sigh as I dismissed the iPaw. I’d need to take a look at the girls’ Stats and Skills soon, but I could wait until we arrived at Shi Island.

I took a seat on the stern near Portia, eager for some company that didn’t resemble angry malware. “Did you have a good time on your own?”

“Saoirse’s tits, yes,” Portia groaned in satisfaction.

I laughed. “Saoirse? Who’s that?”

“The goddess of this world. You didn’t know that?” She wrinkled her eyebrows. “You are a curious one.”

I’d heard plenty of the girls talk about a goddess and a heaven, but it was the first time anyone had said her name. Was there a temple for her somewhere? Was she a ‘manager’ like Leiana? I made a mental note to ask more about her later. “Where’d you go?”

“Made it to San and back in record time. Sailed around Ni for a day. I wanted to warm this baby up and get to know her better.”

“Sounds like a great time.” I flinched at the word ‘baby.’ “Hey, Portia, you said your dad was around for a while, right?”

“That’s right.” She took a seat next to me and dug two bottles free from a nearby bucket filled with ice. After passing one to me, she popped the cap and took a swig.

I accepted the drink and did the same. It was ice cold and refreshing beneath the warm sun. “Does that happen a lot?” I had to know. It seemed contradictory to their survival, but Portia seemed pretty attached to her dad. “I mean, dads staying around with their daughters.”

Portia studied me for a time. “No, it doesn’t. I know I was really lucky to have Pops around for as long as I did.”

“How did he manage it?”

After another drink, Portia replied, “From what my mom told me, for most of his kittens, he didn’t. I was the last of his kids, and my mom was his last partner. We had eight great years together.”

“What happened to him?”

She shrugged. “I remember a royal guard coming to the door and calling him away, and he never came home. Mom never told me what happened. She died a few years later.” She clicked her tongue, then took another swig.

Have all of you been alone for so long? “I’m sorry to hear that.”

Portia gestured toward me with her bottle. “I don’t envy you, Matt. The men in this world have a hefty charge on their shoulders.”

“I’m worried about the girls I won’t be there for,” I admitted.

“Don’t be. We’re all more than capable of taking care of little ones. And if there’s trouble, there’s plenty of nyannies to help ‘em out.”

“Right. Still, though. That’s rough.”

Portia clapped me on the back and chuckled. “You’re not a bad guy. Talking with you makes me miss my pops. He would’ve liked ya.”

A brief image of my dad in his army uniform surfaced. Bald-headed, tall, stern, and judgmental as hell. He didn’t take no for an answer, and between him and my mother, it felt like I never had room to be myself. To hear that someone else’s dad would’ve approved of my actions felt… empowering. Like I didn’t mess everything up.

I grinned. “Thanks. That means a lot.”

Ano sa!” Ravyn called from the steps. “How will the watch work later?”

“Guess we can figure that out now.” Portia shrugged.


The ride was relaxing, and I’m happy to say there were no roaches on the way to Shi Island. There wasn’t a whole lot of room for five people to sleep, so we took turns on which of us used the two beds.

At least, that was the intent.

What this really meant was that Keke and Cannoli fell into unawakenable comas while Ravyn ribbed me raw, so I escaped out onto the deck to talk with Portia for most of the ride.

Admittedly though, I caught more sleep than I thought I would once Ravyn was out cold. And when the morning came, we arrived on the island.

The sloop didn’t need to dock for me to realize what I was looking at. There, just a few dozen meters away, were catgirls. Not just catgirls, though. What I beheld was something many men would have committed murder over.

“Hey, Portia,” I said, turning my head toward her slightly but never taking my eyes off the island, “you said they were a bit of an odd bunch?”

“Yeah, keep your wits about ya,” Portia said.

That may be difficult.

The port was small, under half the size of the Port of Meow. The service, though… Oh, the service.

“Welcome to Shi Island.” A pair of catgirls dressed like French maids curtsied at the bottom of the ramp. “We hope you enjoy your stay!”

Amazing. I give this island a perfect ten.

I shimmied my way through from the back of the sloop and descended the ramp. Their eyes lit up, and mouths hung open as I drew closer. The maid on the left, a beautiful girl whose hair was short and deep blue in color, elbowed the other maid on the right. The wounded catgirl mumbled something back to the perpetrator with a look of irritation, sweeping her long, golden-blonde hair behind her.

“Hey there. My name’s Matt,” I said with a brief wave.

Both girls awkwardly shifted and fidgeted with their hands, but I was beginning to wonder if I’d get a peep out of them. 

“Hello?” I repeated.

“Just say ‘Hi’ to him!” Ravyn snapped from behind me.

The girls wagged their tails, a visible hue of pink on their cheeks. “Uh, um,” the blue one started.

“Destiny, Lara, stop wasting time and see to it that our guests are taken care of!” boomed a voice from behind them. A brunette catgirl with her hair tied in twin braids was approaching at a brisk pace, her heels clicking against the stone. She stopped just before running into the two maids, then bowed at the waist, shooting a nasty glare in their direction. “Your nonsensical fantasies can wait another summer. They have just arrived, and I’m sure they are most exhausted from their venture. Have you bothered to find out where they hail from?”

“N-no, Madame Celestia,” the blue one replied.

Celestia shook her head. “A disgrace, Destiny. An absolute disgrace.” 

The blonde catgirl, who I assumed was Lara, slowly began to exit. When her back was completely turned, Celestia grabbed her by the collar without bothering to look at her. “And where do you think you’re going, young lady?”

Ah!” Lara squealed.

“Told you they’re weird,” I heard Portia whisper from behind me.

“That’s really not necessary,” I said, holding my hand up to reassure her. “I understand if they were caught off guard by my sudden appearance.”

Celestia adjusted the pince-nez glasses on the bridge of her nose and bore her sharp eyes—so dark, I swore they were black—into mine. It was unnerving, and a little voice inside of me said that this was not a woman whose bad side I’d ever want to see.

“Unacceptable,” Celestia said. “Your kindness is noted. However, I do not tolerate such timidity and hesitation in my cloister.” 

Cloister? Is this a religion? 

Celestia spun Lara around by her collar, staring daggers into the poor girl. “I had better not witness such a display of disrespect again. Man or not, you are expected to uphold your duties to the best of your ability. If you are unable, then you shall be replaced. Is that understood?”

“Y-yes, Madame Celestia.” Lara bowed her head. She was shaking in her boots, and frankly, I couldn’t blame her. 

What a hardass.

“Very good.” Celestia drew back and passed looks between them. “The two of you are dismissed for an hour. Since you seem to have forgotten it, I expect both of you to practice our mantra while I take care of our guests.”

“Yes, Madame Celestia,” they said in unison.

I watched them as they walked away solemnly, and I couldn’t help but feel empathetic toward them. I’d worked under bosses like this before, and gee, she had the same crazed look in her eye as a Safeway manager on a short-staffed Saturday.

“My humblest apologies,” Celestia said once more, bowing. “This sort of reaction is abnormal.” She straightened and extended a hand out past the dock and toward the port town. “If you would allow me, I would show you to the inn and a number of our finest eateries.”

“T-thanks,” I said, tilting my head nervously.

As Celestia began her walk, Keke and Cannoli closed in and flanked me, each of them resting their hands on my arms.

“That…was a little weird,” Keke mumbled.

“Maybe we should leave,” Cannoli suggested in a whisper.

“Nah, we got a job to do,” I replied, shaking my head. “Don’t worry. You can depend on me. I’m betting the island is safe with girls like this here. At least they seem to take their jobs seriously.”

“A little too seriously,” Ravyn said with a raised brow.


After we switched back into [Civilian Mode] at the suggestion of Celestia, she took us on a tour around the town. Portia politely declined, saying she was more than happy to find her own food and sleep on the boat. Save for the catgirls in maid outfits, one of the most noticeable things about the island was how organized everything was. 

The dirt roads had the same tufts of grass hanging over the borders from beginning to end, never breaking in pattern, all virtually identical in size. Hedge animals—or, Encroachers, I suppose—decorated lawns and gardens, and fresh arrangements of flowers sprouted from seemingly every corner of every building. Homes were built with gable arches and points, many of them having one, two, sometimes even three hexagonal structures attached to the building. It reminded me of the old Victorian homes I’d ridden my bike past when I was a little kid.

The entire city was exceptional. Shulan and the Port of Meow were spectacular in their own ways, but this was on a whole other level. Their architecture and grid-like layout of homes and businesses were close to the level of modern-day Earth.

“They must be loaded,” I murmured.

“I apologize, Master. By what do you mean by ‘loaded’?” Celestia asked as she continued to guide us through the roads and alleyways.

I didn’t realize I’d spoken out loud. “Oh, I-I mean, like…ahem. I’m referring to this city looking very, uh, profitable.”

Nice word choice, dude.

Celestia pointed to an alley on her left and continued onward. “If you are referring to whether or not it costs a great deal of Bells to construct our neighborhoods, then no, you would be incorrect.”

“Just exhausting, bone-breaking work,” Ravyn said. I turned around to see Keke and Cannoli shooting her the same look of astonishment as I felt. “Eck, my feet ache just thinking about it.”

Celestia’s sharp gaze caught Ravyn, and for a moment, I thought she was going to go Terminator on her and pull out a shotgun from under her skirt. To my relief, her gaze lasted mere moments.

“From where do you hail?” Celestia asked.

“Oh. I’m from—” I began.

“My apologies, Master,” Celestia said in a rather strange monotone voice, “but I was referring to the one in red.”

“The one in red,” Ravyn mumbled, pushing her tongue against the inside of her cheek.

Keke gripped Ravyn by the elbow, casting her a glare. “What are you doing?” she whispered as low as she could.

Ravyn shook her arm away. “Name’s Ravyn. I’m from Shulan. As I’m sure you expected.”

“The third island,” mused Celestia.

“The very same.”

“Do the orphans still commit theft?” Her tone didn’t suggest the previous care or attention, just pure malice. “I have heard that is still quite the problem.”

I really don’t like where this is going.

“Wouldn’t know,” Ravyn lied easily and shrugged. “Left a long time ago.”

“I see.”

To not only my relief, I’m sure, Celestia arrived at our destination—a smaller home than the other elaborate Victorian estates. Smaller, but still ridiculously sized. The front and center were box-shaped, and flanking the sides were two hexagonal towers. A black wrought iron fence surrounded the entire building, and a pair of dragon-shaped hedges flanked the red-brick pathway.

There’s no way they aren’t loaded. How in the hell do they manage something like this?

“This is where you will be staying if you so choose,” Celestia said, presenting the estate with a half-bow.

“What does it cost?” I asked while reaching for my [Cat Pack].

She shook her hand, glancing over at Ravyn. “For you, Master, no cost. Naturally, that applies to your companions as well. Venicia is a hospitable town. We take care of our own, especially the men.”

“Um, thank you,” I said, putting away my [Cat Pack].

“What’s the catch?” Ravyn asked.

Oh my God. Can you not leave well enough alone?

Celestia didn’t hide her glare. But it quickly morphed into a smile. “Why, there is no ‘catch’ in the town of Venicia. We strive to provide great service to our men and their fortunate companions. ‘Service, Grace, Urgency.’” Celestia held up a single finger, reciting the words as if counting them to herself. “These are the three pillars that we practice and abide by each day.” Her smile widened. “I understand if it is a shock to someone from San Island. Their greed is reprehensible.”

I could practically hear the teeth grinding in Ravyn’s mouth, and before it could escalate, I raised a hand. “So, uh, where do we eat?”

“Inside. There is a veritable array of fruits and vegetables. Please help yourself and pay no mind to the speed of consumption. If you require further, then you need only ring one of the many serving bells.”

“Where do we find them?” asked Keke.

“A fine question,” Celestia said. Her tone grew more and more chipper with each question, as if she couldn’t wait to show off. “There is a serving bell in each room in the house, including the basement and attic. They are silver and rest upon wooden countertops where available.”

“Thank you, Celestia. I think we can take it from here.” I held out my hand, and Celestia waved her hand in refusal.

“Please. This is fine enough.” Celestia curtsied. “Thank you for visiting Shi Island and gracing this humble town of Venicia with your presence. We wish to serve you again soon.”

With that, Celestia left at a casual pace. I was sure she had other places to be, and maybe the hustle and bustle of retail and food industries had instilled that sense in me, but she was awfully slow-paced for an acting head maid. Manager? Madame?

“Well, why don’t we get inside and talk about what to do next?” Keke suggested.

“Alright, sounds good,” I said, nodding.

Just as Keke reached for the latch around the gate, she pulled back in a yelp. “Ow! What the heck?”

“Are you okay?” I asked, putting my hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said, shaking her hand. “Just a weird shock.”

“Static electricity,” I said with a chuckle. Her cheeks turned pink, and I reached for the latch this time. Nothing happened. “Looks like an ordinary latch to me.” I flicked it back and beckoned the girls behind me. Cannoli was the last to enter, shutting the gate behind her.

The steps leading up to the home were made of varnished wood. Have to say, I was impressed. As I reached for the door, I noticed it was missing a lock. Especially if this was supposed to be a guest house. I thought this was a little strange since even Ni Island had locks on their doors, and everyone seemed to know everyone there.

Guess it’s just a super safe neighborhood?

I reached for the door handle, and this time it was my turn to be struck by the electricity. My hand jerked back involuntarily, and I whispered, “Ow!

“Your turn!” Keke said with a laugh.

I laughed with her. That would’ve been fine if that had been all that happened, but the spot where my ear was pierced throbbed for a split second. I fingered the earring, and Ravyn shot me a suspicious look, clicking her tongue.

Feeling apprehensive, I went for the handle again and pushed the door open. The inside was just as beautiful as the outside. We were met by wooden floors shined to perfection, white silk drapes, four-panel window panes, and a spiral staircase.

And then I spotted the catgirl to my right.

“Welcome home, Master!” she said brightly.

Well, this is going to make things a little awkward.

waHMqWl.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited and Audible! Volume Two is out on Kindle Unlimited and Paperback! Volume Three is up for preorder until December 1st!

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Kami-Sama Tier: SkySom

Yomi’s Tier: DiscountDan

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Carmine, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose, Kotaro

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, LT_Ashpole, Alex bagster-collins, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Grimmslyar, Skade, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, Poisonedmisery, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, CipherFTW, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Zane Flannery, Blaze, Alester_ryku, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Kennett RG, 9 o’clock, Melker, Zak Stromquist, Austin Vetter, Kotaro, Crypticorb

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

 

11