Chapter 132: Rhododendrons and Heather
191 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaving Shi Island was bittersweet. Tristan and Ara must’ve shared at least half a dozen farewells and promises before we finally departed, and I am proud to say I remained silent the entire time. I wasn’t about to get in their way and ruin the moment. Ara had her work cut out for her, to be sure. Between her, Lynn, and many of the other capable catgirls on the island, I was confident that Tristan would return to an island he’d be proud of.

Portia snaked across the crowded sloop, grumbling and muttering curses that closely resembled the ones I’d hear out of the mouths of sailors back in my old world. She’d gone above and beyond the call of duty, and I made sure I thanked her for all the work she did. I’d have to make it up to her later.

From the moment we left until the dock was finally out of sight, Ara and Lynn never moved. Tristan watched them the entire time, and I pretended not to notice. I couldn’t imagine the thoughts going through Tristan’s head, and I didn’t try to. Instead, I figured it was best to look at the future and not dwell on what could have been or what we could’ve done better. What was done was done, and we still had one more man to collect. For better or worse.

“Do we need to pick up anything for either of you?” I asked, passing glances between the twins.

Destiny put a finger to her lips. “I think I got everything I need in my [Cat Pack].”

“You’d better,” Ravyn said with a raised brow. “[Alchemist]s are an expensive Class.” She shifted the weight from one curvy leg to the other. “You’re not going to run out in the middle of a fight, are you?”

Destiny blinked. “Well, we certainly won’t be fighting all that much.”

Uh oh. She’s making some dangerous assumptions there.

“Even if that may or may not be the case,” Keke said with her beautiful back turned to us, “we want to make sure we’re prepared. Cannoli, Matt, Ravyn, and I are all experienced with [Alchemy].”

“Some of us more than others,” Ravyn commented.

Keke glared over her shoulder, then turned back to the rope she was fastening. “It’s good, Portia!”

“Thanks a ton! The wind is rough today!” Portia called.

“Wind’s in a bit of a mood, I believe,” Lara said.

Well, that was a weird comment to make.

“Oh! And Destiny is a great [Alchemist],” Lara continued excitedly. “She helps people all the time!”

To be honest, I had my doubts. Though I struggled to remember the exact details, I was pretty sure I remembered them being somewhat despondent when it came to their maidly duties. Then again, perhaps my mere presence was the main culprit for how they reacted. Celestia did have a strong collar on these girls, it seemed.

“Okay, so then you’re fine. But I do have to warn you, we’ve seen a good share of Encroachers and Defiled, so I just wanted to make sure you’re prepared. We can always go and collect materials,” I said.

“Oh, I, uh, I couldn’t ask you to do that,” Destiny said as she played with a lock of her hair.

Tristan parted the girls, seating himself between them. “Did I miss anything?”

I shook my head. “Not at all. We’re just making sure we’re all prepared. How are you holding up?”

Tristan took a few seconds to reply. “I’m doing okay. I trust Ara with my life, and I think she’ll do a great job. I’m sad I can’t be there to help her, but…from what you’ve told me, I can see the reason in assembling the men.” He reached for my hand. “I want to thank you for helping me see what was really going on, and at the same time, I want to offer any assistance that I can. We shouldn’t be struggling alone.”

I reciprocated without a second thought. “I’m with you, man.”

We shared a smile, and I caught Ravyn rolling her eyes within my peripheral vision. When our hands parted, I looked at Lara. “So how does [Conjurer] work?”

Lara tilted her head. “Meaning?”

Tristan laughed. “I’m quite curious myself. I’m still delving into the magical arts, so I’d like to get to know both of you a little more.” Perhaps it was just my imagination, but I was sure he shot a look in Destiny’s direction at the end. “Think you could help me out?”

Lara blinked. Her eyes wandered for some time like she was thinking about it. “[Conjurer] is good at three Elements. Water, Wind, and Earth.”

“Oh, so you summon nature?” asked Tristan.

“Uh, sorta? More like, I plead with it and ask for help, and then I hope it listens. Like a kitten, really.”

How awfully honest of you. I hope Mother Nature doesn’t frown upon your word choice.

I gawked and inched closer. I caught a gentle whisper from behind me and made room for Cannoli. She sat down beside me and listened in. 

“So, what do you mean exactly? I haven’t touched any magic-related Classes, so I’m still learning.” I heard Ravyn snicker, and I shot her a glare.

“Erm, I’m having a hard time finding a way to explain this.” Lara scratched her ear and bowed her head. “Let’s see, it’s kind of like riding a bike. You can’t really explain it to someone, but when you do it, it just makes sense.”

Silence fell upon us. The calm wind blew through our hair, and a salty smell entered my nostrils. Lara’s explanation made no sense whatsoever. Considering it might just be a modern perspective of mine, I looked at Keke, Ravyn, then turned around to look at Cannoli beside me. Each of them wore bewildered stares.

“I am unsure what you mean by that,” Ceres admitted a few feet from behind me. She’d been standing next to Portia the entire time, and I assumed she heard in on the conversation. “Could you please elaborate?”

Lara thought again, taking her time to respond. “So, like, if I start talking to Wind, or Earth, or Water, I ask them for favors. If they like me, then they do stuff for me.”

I opened my mouth to speak but quickly shut it. Each time Lara spoke, I found myself more confused. “You…talk to the land?”

Destiny nodded. “Yeah. When they’re on good terms, the Elements respond, and then they’ll do her favors.” She shrugged. “I have no idea how it works. I understand potions and tonics much better. But it’s true!” She elbowed her sister playfully. “Show ’em, sis!”

“The Elements are kind of shy, though. I’m not sure any of them will listen to me right now,” Lara admitted.

“Oh, go on! Give it a try!”

Lara turned her head to the never-ending ocean. “Okay, I’ll try.” She put her left palm out toward the sea. “Water, can I ask for your help for a bit?” A pause followed. “I know, but I have some new people with me, as you can see… right, no, I know that, but I… uh huh. Okay? But I might have to fight.” Lara’s frown deepened. “I know, but Earth isn’t around right now. I’m out in the middle of the ocean, so I’m asking you.” Lara sighed. “I understand. Will you come when I need you in a fight? Yeah, but… okay. But if they need healing, and I mean some strong healing, I can depend on you, right?” Lara’s shoulders slumped. “I’ll ask Wind, then.”

I’m not sure how familiar Tristan was with Lara, but based on what I’d seen, I was beginning to have second thoughts about taking her with us. Was this a typical trait for all [Conjurer]s?

“So, can [Conjurer]s normally talk with the Elements like you do?” I asked. I had to know. It was the burning question that would keep me up at night if I didn’t get answers.

“Some of them,” said Lara.

That’s not a good look for you, Lara.

Tristan put a hand on her shoulder. “So, what are you going to do now? Sounds like the water was having issues?”

Lara shrugged, then whipped her long, blonde hair behind her. “Water’s in a weird mood right now. I know I shouldn’t say that out loud, but Water tends to get upset with me. Something about attunement and not being proper for the situation.”

“The elements don’t talk.” Ravyn crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

I raised my hand. “So, then, you can’t talk to the elements, Ravyn?” The look she gave me could kill most men. “I’m sorry. Please continue, Lara.”

Lara made several noises resembling a hissing cat, shooting a glare at Ravyn all the while. “Yes. They can.” She puffed out her cheeks, then snapped her head back around. “I’ll ask Wind, then.”

Is this going to be the process every time there’s a fight? This does not bode well.

“Before you do, you said the elements are shy.” I met Lara’s eyes. “Does that mean the elements have personalities?”

“Yes! Absolutely! Hang on, let me converse with Wind.” 

Here we go. 

Lara raised both hands into the air. I was half-expecting lightning bolts to strike the tips of her fingers. “Wind, can you hear me?” After a pause, Lara flinched. “How are you doing? Ahh, I’m sorry to hear that. Is she okay?” Lara’s expression continued to change, and I wished I could hear what was going on between her and, uh…Wind. “That’s horrible! Well, don’t listen to her. She’s wrong about you. In every way I can imagine. Uh-huh. Yep! So, I’m sorry to interrupt you, but can you do me a quick favor?”

“Tristan, were you aware of this?” I asked.

He swallowed and scratched the back of his neck. “Y-yeah!”

I see.

“Thank you!” Lara clapped her hands together, then began to whip her right arm through the air. The wind wrapped around her wrist in ribbons of green light. As she continued, more and more of the strange winds began to tighten and converse around her, enveloping the entirety of her arm. There was a sudden popping noise, and then the currents converged into a single ball of wispy air with a gentle light in the middle. The sphere did nothing on its own, just rotated around her head. “I now have Wind with me! Now Wind will perform an action I ask of it. Wind is kind, under-standing, and exceptionally creative, so her and I often see eye-to-eye.”

So, there was some reasoning behind what she was doing.

“What can you do now?” I asked.

Lara rose to her feet, then looked off into the distance where we couldn’t see a thing. She turned her head to Portia. “Your name is Portia, right?”

Portia nodded. “Yeah, what’s up?”

“Can you stop the boat for a moment?”

“Sloop,” she corrected. “And yeah, hold on.”

The sloop slowed, and the waves became gentler with the reduction in speed. After a couple of minutes, the sloop came to a halt, and Lara offered her one of Shi Island’s curtsies.

“Thank you so much, Portia,” said Lara. She directed her attention back to the ocean and held out her hand. “Observe the power of nature!”

I’m watching.

“I command you, spirit of nature! [Whirlwind]!” A whistle soared past my ears. It was loud enough that it almost hurt. Above us, a dark cloud formed, and lightning and thunder roared within. The orb of wind that Lara had summoned disappeared, and shortly after, a gust of wind blew past us, forming a miniature tornado some distance away from us from below the cloud. Before I could even register what happened, the cloud disappeared, and with it, the wind. Lara fell to one knee, panting. “That’s— Hold on for just a second.” She heaved, then rested back into a cross-legged position. “She wasn’t in the best of moods right now, so it was a little weak. But that’s a small example of what [Conjurer] can do!”

I had no idea what to say. On the one hand, it appeared to have a ton of potential. However, if it was so fickle, then I had my concerns.

Is nothing ever easy?

OSv9uiy.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, SkySom, Alexandra, DuSkulblaka

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Charles McNab, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Ben Hunt, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Joshua williams, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, Ice.Paragon, Rassarion, Wulfen, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, C.P. Tuck, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Allen, Kyle McCoy, Tu-, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, larsdavi1, Justin Sanchez, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, BirdBot, DragonPriem, Andinator77, Lor Malrick, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Justin Facer, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, Elissia Wright

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

4