Chapter 143: King Vulture
105 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We all exchanged uneasy glances after Zahra’s request. Really, there was only one question to ask, and Ravyn beat us to the punch.

“Why?”

Zahra nodded, her face placid with understanding. “Your question is to be expected. The truth is, this is not the Ichi Island I grew up on. It’s not the Madhyam I was born into.”

“How’s that?” I asked.

She pulled her long braid over one shoulder, running her fingers along the twists and turns. It reminded me of a habit of Cannoli’s, twining her hair in tiny braids when she was nervous. “There was no such thing as this wretched ‘King’s Tax.’ The Ichi I remember had plenty of food and water to go around. Bells were distributed equally from Rājadhānī’s citadel to all the outlying cities, and we could come and go in the capital as we pleased.”

“Ever since Magni took over and Naeemah disappeared, our fortunes collapsed.” Ishani appeared from the doorway with a circular dish that smelled of honey and coconut. “This is not the environment I wished for my daughter to thrive in.”

Zahra nodded in agreement. “He’s locked himself in the citadel. Our ancestors built that place for war, so without permission to enter, trying to attack it is suicide.”

I glanced at Ceres, then Tristan and his crew. I was positive they could feel the same pull they’d felt beneath Celestia’s reign on Shi Island. But this was so much worse. From everything I’d seen so far, an island’s man had free reign to do as he wished. Apparently, that meant locking himself in a castle.

“Pardon me if I speak out of turn, but I believe it is important to note that Naeemah is alive,” Ceres announced. “Miss Ishani seemed quite distraught at the mention of her disappearance.”

Ishani placed the sweet-smelling dish down on the table and clasped her hands together. “Oh, Saoirse’s Blessing. That is wonderful news!” She touched her thumb to her forehead, lips, and heart before steepling her hands again. “Naeemah, sweet girl. May the wind carry her desires and the sun warm her back.”

“Did Naeemah live here in Madhyam?” I recalled Naeemah’s face and her lightning-fast movements. Her daggers at our throats and the fury in the depths of her dark gaze. I’d never thought of her as more than Cailu’s right hand [Assassin].

“You really don’t know?” Zahra wore a look of genuine surprise.

“She’s not exactly very talkative,” Keke explained.

“We’ve only seen her a few times now. We haven’t had much of a chance to get to know her, really,” Cannoli added. Her gaze drifted to the blue blazard sneaking low on his tummy to Ishani’s freshly baked dessert. “Buttons!”

Buttons looked up at her and blinked, his forked tongue flicking toward the pan. He shrank closer to the table and made a U-turn back to Cannoli’s hands.

“Behave yourself!” Cannoli scolded lightly, then reached for one of the remaining roasted green vegetables on her plate. “Here, if you’re hungry, have some of mine.”

Buttons accepted the fluffy green veggie, but his tiny slumped shoulders said he would have preferred the sweets.

“Ah! Excuse me! Allow me to serve you a family recipe passed down many generations,” Ishani proclaimed. She fished a knife from her apron and dexterously sliced the thin cake.

“That’s very kind of you, Ishani. Thank you so much,” Tristan said before turning back to Zahra. “Would you mind telling us more about Naeemah’s role here?”

Zahra twirled the end of her braid around one finger, then put her hands in her lap. “Seventeen years ago, when I was still a kitten, Naeemah was a beloved member of Krethik’s Party—my father and the man of our island at the time.”

“So you must have known him fairly well, huh?” Destiny asked Ishani.

“Yes. Very well.” Ishani smiled and began to serve the diamond-shaped slices of dessert on each of our plates. “Kind and generous. Perfect manners. A little like your Tristan, here.”

Tristan blushed. I made a note to work on my manners.

Zahra continued, “When Krethik passed away, Naeemah took over the rule in Rājadhānī. Her meticulous nature and attention to detail saw Ichi thrive for twelve years. Two men came before Magni, but neither lasted long against the Encroachers and harsh climates of our island.”

Lara’s eyes grew wide. “Wind says she was like a Queen.”

“That is an accurate word indeed.” Ishani chuckled and served me the last piece of cake. “The vizier’s seat suited her, and she commanded it with a rare grace and beauty you don’t often see in our culture.”

“It’s hard to think of her as anything but fucking scary,” Ravyn grumbled.

A wry smile quirked at the corner of Zahra’s lips. “Fear was not the sole of her command. However, even while ruling, to make an enemy of her was a mistake.”

“Which is why we never understood her disappearance. All of us were certain that Magni had…had killed—” Ishani stuttered on the word, then repeated the gesture of touching her forehead, lips, and heart. “I’m sorry, I cannot bring myself to say the words.”

“None of us would have been surprised if Magni buried her,” Zahra finished for her. “From the little we heard from him at the beginning, he forces his ideals in the name of ‘progress.’ It’s a farce.”

“So, then, what do you hope to do, Zahra?” Keke asked. “What will coming to Rājadhānī accomplish for you?”

“To serve as a mouthpiece for my family and friends. Magni needs to hear our cries, and our way of life needs to be restored,” Zahra replied.

“You can’t kill him,” Ravyn said flatly.

“I’ve no intention nor desire.”

“But, Zahra, if he would not hear Naeemah’s pleas for the island, how will you bend his ear?” Ceres pressed.

Zahra shrugged. “I don’t know. Still, I have to try.”

“It’s a dangerous road, and we’re not completely sure what awaits us when we get there,” Tristan explained. He looked at the silent Agni and scratched his chin. “Agni would also have to be okay with you riding her gigashank.”

“If it’s money you need, I have it. Both for the travel and for myself. I am in no way asking you to support me,” Zahra replied.

Agni shrugged. “Well, then I ain't got no problem with it. Up to you folks.” She chuckled and picked up her slice of cake. “I’m jus’ happy to have a hot meal and good company.”

“What about in battle? Will we not have to protect you there?” Keke asked.

Zahra tugged at the hilt of her katana swung around her waist. “I am a trained [Myrmidon]. I can carry my own weight.”

Lara closed her eyes and sniffed the air. “Zahra smells like Lightning. I think Lightning really likes her.”

Zahra raised a brow. “Uh…huh.”

Mattaku. Don’t mind her.” Ravyn coaxed a corner of the cake away from her slice and tossed it to Ball. “What assurance do we have that we won’t get there and you rail him through with your adorable sword, hm?”

“Should we actually gain access, we won’t be able to enter the citadel armed. I’m sure eight of you can stop just one of me if things should go sour?”

“Tristan! Tristan, try the cake!” Destiny cried, ditching the young master honorific in her excitement.

Bottoms up. I took a bite of the cake. The honey coated my tongue, and the flaky layers crunched lightly beneath my teeth. Where had this thing been all my life? “This is delicious!” I said, mouth still full.

“Speak once you are finished chewing,” Ishani gently chided. 

I blushed. Yeah, Tristan definitely had me on the manners front.

Keke lightly elbowed me in the side. “Need to spend a little more time in the school of etiquette, Matt?”

I leveled her gaze and rolled my eyes. After I swallowed, I repeated my compliment.

“I’m honored that you enjoy it, Matt,” Ishani replied.

“It’s so sweet I could die!” Cannoli squealed, licking her lips. “Goodness, I would be honored if you shared your recipe, Ishani!”

“I will share it, should you accept my daughter into your Party,” Ishani said cooly.

Cannoli looked at me with her shimmering ruby eyes, pleading silently with a slight pout on her lower lip.

Way to get Cannoli hooked. But…something tells me I won’t be able to. “Summon iPaw.” I navigated to the [Party] window and tried to scroll further down. Sure enough, there weren’t any empty slots available. With Ceres’ picture, the [Party] window was full. “We can’t have another member. It’s up to Tristan on this one.”

Cannoli turned her pout on Tristan.

Tristan looked from my desperate [Acolyte], then to Ishani, then finally settled his gaze on Zahra.

Zahra lifted the cake from his plate and carefully set it against Tristan’s lips. His eyes widened in surprise, but he took a bite. The tension evaporated from his shoulders, and his eyes rolled back to the sky. He swallowed and sighed. “How can I say no to that?”

“No one can resist mom’s basbousa.” Our newest Party member laughed and fed him the rest.

mbpqgmX.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, Ice.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, Andinator77, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Justin Facer, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, Elissia Wright, eroth, Nicholas Crowley, Dylan M. Strickland, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Galvadax, Nova

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

4