Chapter 145: Sacred Ibis
107 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As of today, Patreon now charges monthly no matter when you pledge! No more double-charges at the end of the month! Now you don't have to wait for the spicy scenes!

While we waited for Sierra to corral our gigashanks, Ravyn marched deliberately to Agni’s side. Zahra was only a few steps behind her, coming to a sudden halt as Ravyn raised her arm like a stop sign.

“Hold it right there. I have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you.” Ravyn narrowed her eyes, one sharp tooth peeking between her lips as she flashed Zahra a smile.

That can’t be good.

Lucky Zahra! Lucky Zahra! Squawk!” Ball Gag shrieked on Ravyn’s shoulder.

Zahra flinched with Ball’s piercing cry, then cocked her head at Ravyn. “What’s that?”

Ravyn’s smile widened. She balled her fist and pointed toward our clueless [Conjurer]. “Get to know your new Party mate. Ride the gigashank with her.

Zahra glanced behind her, following Ravyn’s finger. Lara giggled with Destiny, unaware of their conversation.

Damn, Ravyn. You really hate riding with her that bad?

Keke snickered behind me. As Zahra turned her gaze back to Ravyn, her eyes lingered on Keke before settling on the [Sorcerer] and her parrot. “Why?”

Ravyn’s grin faltered, but she recovered in the blink of an eye. “Nani? Do you not wish to meet your companions?”

Zahra’s eyes narrowed. “What language are you using?” She thought better of it and shook her head. “No matter. I’ll do as you say.”

“Excellent. Enjoy your ride.” Ravyn’s shoulders slumped in what I could only imagine was relief, and she ran a hand through her long hair. “No takesies-backsies.”

“That’s, uh, a cute thing for you to say,” I noted.

Baka,” Ravyn hissed behind her smile. “Like you would know.”

“Seems like you won’t break her triumph that easily,” Keke said with a giggle.

We paired up and retook our formation from the day before—Agni and Ravyn on the gigashank in front, the rest of us in a two-by-two square. The heat and unrelenting sun greeted us once more, and Madhyam slowly disappeared behind us. 

There wasn’t a hint of a breeze or a cloud in the sky. Our voices echoed off the sand with perfect clarity, which made it easier to call to one another and participate in conversations. But I would have taken even a hot wind to get the air moving. Like standing in a blow dryer.

I never thought I’d take airplanes for granted, but here we are.

“You’re Lara, right?” Zahra asked her riding partner.

“That’s me!” Lara giggled. “And you smell like Lightning!”

Zahra replied carefully, “Yes, you said that yesterday. What does that mean, exactly?” 

“Hm. Well…” Lara leaned forward and sniffed her. “Like you’ve been standing out in the rain for a few hours. Or like that sensation that happens if you rub your feet on the carpet and then touch something. You smell like that.”

“It hasn’t rained in months. And I don’t remember the last time I’ve tried to shock someone on purpose,” Zahra chuckled.

“It’s probably because Lightning likes you!”

Zahra blinked. “You said that before, too. I didn’t know that lightning had feelings.”

“Oh, yes. All of the Elements have feelings. I can only talk with three of them about it, but I can kind of understand the others. Just a little.”

I think Zahra surprised us all with her easy follow-up question. “Is that so? Which ones do you talk to?”

Their amicable conversation continued, and Zahra was a rapt listener, asking pointed questions when Lara gave her a chance. She told her about Earth, Water, and Wind and her frustrations and successes with them since leaving the school. This prompted questions about Venicia and Destiny—who was happy to chime in and fill in details for her sister.

“Lara’s pretty amazing, really. I’ve never met anyone like her,”  Keke murmured. 

“Yeah. Can’t say I have, either,” I mumbled in reply. “Good to see they’re already getting along.”

“Ravyn seems happy to be away from her, too.” Keke nodded toward the head gigashank of our caravan. Ravyn was quietly whispering with Ball, offering him pets and a cookie when he chittered back.

“Glad it worked out.”

“Me, too.” Keke dropped her voice to a whisper. “Though it takes a lot of our entertainment away.”

“I’m wearing off on you!” I tickled her sides, and she squirmed and squealed, her tail wrapping behind my waist.

“It was destined to happen eventually!” She leaned her head back against my chest, blinking that hypnotic golden gaze up at me. “And I’d like some more, please.”

I kissed the tip of her nose and wrapped my arms around her waist. “That can be arranged.”


The day’s travels brought us to an oasis just as the sun touched the horizon. At first, I was terrified that I was seeing a mirage—like the shimmering pools of nothing they show you in movies. However, Agni quickly confirmed for all of us that we’d be camping at Timia Oasis.

“Just leave the Encroacher critters alone,” she warned.

Tristan and I exchanged glances. “What lives there?”

Agni shrugged. “A buncha little ’uns. Some bugs as big as a dinner plate just lookin’ for water or grub. A few furry beasties. Lotsa things like him,” she pointed to Buttons resting comfortably on the gigashank’s head. “None of ‘em’ll hurt ya. But they will swarm ya.”

Keke shivered. “Those are some big bugs.”

“Maybe they’re not so bad.”

Famous last words.

All thoughts of waking up to a plate-sized beetle vanished when we reached the edge of the oasis. Lush green plants and tall reeds surrounded a shimmering lake of clear blue water. Towering pawm trees circled the lake, each one framed by flowering bushes and soft patches of grass. It really was like a slice of heaven in the middle of the miles and miles of dunes.

“Wow,” Tristan marveled, taking the word right out of my mouth.

“The water’s good to fill your canteens with, folks. Drink up, and we’ll get the tent pitched,” Agni announced, tying her and Ravyn’s gigashank to one of the pawms near the water. 

My first drink from the lake was more satisfying than any water bottle I’d ever had in my life. It was cool and sweet, unmarred by dirt or the mass amounts of leaves or grass. The view was crystal clear down to the bottom, and I spotted a few sizes of fish and one large content reptile skidding across the bottom.

“Agni, can I fish here?” Keke called over her shoulder.

“Yeah. That should be fine.”

Keke grinned at me. “Dinner’s on me tonight.”

The rest of us helped put up the tent while Keke took to her favorite pastime, pulling in one flopping fish after another. She hooked her catches on a long chain she procured from her [Cat Pack], allowing them to tangle in the water and stay fresh until it was time to cook them.

“Keke is quite prepared at all times,” Ceres admired from afar.

“I can’t really talk. I carry my frying pan everywhere,” Cannoli replied. She kicked a tiny hill of sand over with the toe of her shoe. I was happy to see she hadn’t turned nearly as red as the day prior.

“And for that, we are all most thankful, Cannoli!” Ceres said.

Cannoli beamed, her ears twitching with pride.

Zahra and Lara had moved farther down the lake, conversation continuing to linger like they were a pair of age-old friends. You’d never know they’d just met barely a day ago.

“Glad they’re all buddy-buddy now,” Ravyn said, watching them as they washed their faces and arms.

“Is that a hint of envy I hear?” I teased. Well, sort of. Ravyn’s slightly narrowed eyes were a dead giveaway.

Pft. Me? Not in a million years, boy.” She cackled and crossed her arms. “I’m glad to have some peace and quiet!”

Keke poked Ravyn’s side. “Mhm. And when are you going to talk to Fire?”

Mou ii! Not you, too!” Ravyn groaned. “I’m trapped in a Party of lunatics.”

Cannoli trapped one of Ravyn’s arms with both of hers, hugging it to her chest. “You love us!”

Ravyn blushed with Cannoli’s sudden hug, then tilted her hat slightly over her eyes. “Mm. Something like that.”

“Tristan! Matt! Help me build this fire?” Agni called.

“Coming!” Tristan called, and I nodded.

“Fire? Now’s your chance, Ravyn!” Keke prodded.

Ravyn grimaced and growled.

“You never know! Fire may be an excellent companion for you to hold close,” Ceres added.

“Matt!” Ravyn barked.

“Sorry, have to help build a fire! You’re on your own!” I jogged away with a wave, relishing in her incredulous stare.

With the fire built and Keke’s expert [Fishing], we all had a hand in prepping dinner. Agni and Cannoli took to the actual cooking of it while the rest of us cleaned the fish and chopped whatever they ordered us to chop. Despite the exhausting day and constant heat, even I had to admit that it felt…cozy.

Just as we’d finished eating, Cannoli gasped and pointed between a pair of pawm trees. “Oh! Oh my goodness! Look! But slowly!”

I turned to see what had her in such a frenzy. There, peeking its tiny yellow head between the bushes, was a rabbit. Its long ears drooped on either side of its head, and dark brown eyes looked at us curiously.

“A bunny! It’s a real, actual bunny!” Cannoli squealed.

“Make a wish, Cannoli!” I urged quietly.

“R-right! Okay! Um!” She clenched her fists to her chest and scrunched her lips closed. Her breathing was rapid and uneven—she looked like she was about to burst at the seams. “Okay! I got it! You too, Matt!”

I looked around the group. They stared back with expectant faces. Save for Keke, who was falling asleep against my arm.

I never want this dream to end.

Crack! A sharp snap called my attention back to where the rabbit was. Except he was gone. Replaced by a bright streak of yellow that led into the bushes—illuminating its path for a few seconds. I watched, dumbstruck until the glow finally vanished.

Lara giggled. “Bunnies smell like Lightning, too.”

cNXn7Jl.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, Ice.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Justin Facer, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, Elissia Wright, eroth, Nicholas Crowley, Dylan M. Strickland, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Galvadax, Nova, Runecaster, Alex bagster-collins

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

4