Chapter 151: Give You Up
104 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we trickled inside, I walked on my tiptoes to see over the heads of the sea of catgirls before us. Two things immediately caught my notice. First, Rājadhānī was enormous. Whether I looked to the left or the right, I could barely make out the walled-off perimeter in the distance. Bringing me to my next subject—the second towering wall about four meters away from where we stood.

“Another wall?” I commented aloud.

“First time, I take it?” Jaya asked.

Agni chuckled. “Welcome to Rājadhānī. This is the Third Shell.”

“The what?” Cannoli squeaked, holding tight to my arm as another rush of girls passed us.

“This city has three Shells. Each barred off by one of those walls.” Zahra motioned to the giant blockade. “Which one you live in depends on how much Magni trusts you.”

I gaped. Tristan shared a similar expression.

“Wouldn’t that be expensive to build three walls like that?” Destiny asked, resting a finger on her chin.

Zahra nodded. “Where do you think the King’s Tax goes?”

“Then this wasn’t something a previous man built?” Keke asked.

“No. The palace used to have a small wall around it but was always open to everyone. This is ten long years of bleeding girls dry of their Bells,” Zahra explained, her eyes narrowed.

“How the hell is anyone supposed to get to the inner Shells if he never leaves the damn castle?” Ravyn barked.

“I can help you there.” Kathy, the guard from outside, joined us at our backs. It seemed she’d ushered the last of the girls in and was on her last string.

“You don’t have to. Looks like you’ve got it hard enough as is,” I suggested.

“You’re damn right. And I hope your group here means to change it,” Kathy grunted.

“We’ll do our best to try,” Tristan replied honestly.

“Alright, then listen up. King Magni has a trusted group of guards, the Ejderha. They interview the citizens to see if they’re worthy of moving further inside the Shells. The same goes for those they believe need to be moved outside.” Kathy wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead.

“And their decisions are made just on the girls’ answers?” Tristan asked, covering his eyes and squinting at Kathy.

“Ha! If only,” Kathy barked. “The better your bribe, the better your chances.”

“How could you possibly build a home if you are forced to keep moving?” Ceres wondered.

Agni shrugged. “I always wondered the same thing, girly. The ones who live ‘ere say the First Shell is worth the pain.”

“I have a hard time believing that,” Ravyn snapped.

“I’ve only been so far as the Second Shell, so I couldn’t tell you,” Kathy admitted.

“So, then, the girls that were just outside…” Lara began.

“All Third Shell. Magni likes to kick us out and have his Ejderha search the city whenever he thinks someone is coming for his head,” Kathy said.

“He doesn’t think an assassin could be hiding in the other Shells?” Tristan asked.

“They get searched, too. But there are far fewer catgirls living in the inside Shells. Easier to interview and easier to search,” Kathy replied.

“Travelers are never allowed beyond the Third Shell, either.” Zahra touched the hilt of her katana. “Speaking with his highness is reserved for his most trusted citizens.”

“What about two men?” I grumbled.

A mischievous grin split Ravyn’s lips. “I’m sure we can think of a few ways to get his attention.”

Down, girl. “Let’s not set anything on fire.”

She scowled. “Psh. You’re no fun.”

“I need to report what happened to my captain.” Kathy toed the sand with a begrudging kick. “They’re not gonna be happy.”

“Anything we can do to help?” I asked.

Kathy paused, blinked up at the sky, then shook her head. “Your best, I guess.”

“We’ll do what we can, Kathy. You have my word,” Tristan said.

With one last nod, she shouldered her spear and disappeared into the crowd.

“Do you all need a tour? Seems you have a couple of girls with their heads on right.” Jaya nodded to Zahra and Agni.

“We can show ‘em around. Thanks, Jaya,” Agni replied with a smile.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve come here, but I’m sure I’ll get my bearings soon enough,” Zahra agreed.

“Great. Well, the Guild Hall’s right over there. It’s waving the orange flag.” Jaya pointed to our right. Sure enough, a bright orange flag flapped in the hot winds blowing through the city. “I’ll be at the Tipsy Tortoise for the night if you come up with anything.”

“What’s a tortoise?” Cannoli asked.

“It’s a kind of turtle,” Tristan answered easily, then looked at me. “From where Matt and I are from.”

At least one of the guys here was from Earth, then. 

“Oh! I’ve heard of turtles!” Cannoli clapped her hands. “They’re really rare. Like bunnies!”

“I wonder if they also smell like Lightning?” Lara’s eyes and voice trailed off in the distance.

Tristan hid a chuckle behind his hand. “Doubtful.”

“Anyway, nice meeting you, Jaya,” I interjected, saving us from Lara’s musings. “We’ll probably see you later.”

“Yeah. Sure. See you around.” Jaya waved and jogged off toward the orange flag.

We’d hardly taken five steps deeper into the city when the yelling started.

“Why is everyone returning to the city? I did not issue the command!” 

Tristan and I exchanged a quick glance, then shouldered our way to where the cry had originated. In a small clearing, a catgirl with hair the color of fresh blood barked at Kathy. Her neck was covered entirely in black ink, forking into lines beneath her lower lip and a geometric pattern on her chest.

“Seraphina abandoned her post. There was little I could do alone,” Kathy snapped back, standing her ground. 

“Our investigation is not complete.”

The catgirls nearby hurried past them, averting their gazes with ears tucked to their heads.

“I understand that, honored one. But you must be able to see—”

“Choose your next words carefully.” She adjusted her stance, balancing her weight between slightly spread legs.

This doesn’t look good.

“You made them—and us—wait outside for two days. What did you expect?” Kathy pleaded.

“A stronger soldier.” Furious black eyes narrowed at Kathy as she raised her spear. “Examples must be made when necessary.”

There wasn’t time to think. I stepped forward to intervene—

“It’s been a long time, Sanrai.” The blade of Zahra’s katana was buried in the spear’s handle, pushing the point far from Kathy’s chest. “I see you haven’t changed.”

“Zahra,” Sanrai growled. Her brow wrinkled, and her lips curled into a snarl. “You are interfering with my work.”

“What a kind way to greet your sister.”

“You are no family of mine.” Sanrai stepped backward, wrenching the spear away from Zahra’s katana.

Zahra threw her weight into her sword, forcing the spear's point into the sand. “Ejderha are not to kill their subordinates, correct? I thought I remembered that bit of training.”

“Perhaps. However, travelers have no such protection,” Sanrai spat. She abandoned the spear and reached for a scimitar at her hip.

“Alright, that’s enough.” I wasn’t about to let it escalate to bloodshed. I caught Sanrai’s wrist, holding the blade away from Zahra.

Sanrai spun with terrifying agility, breaking my hold and turning the blade on me. “How dare you?” Then she blinked, and recognition lit her eyes. “...Another man?”

“Two, actually.” Tristan stepped forward. “Tell your king we’re here to see him.”

Slowly lowering her sword, Sanrai’s gaze flickered to Zahra, then back to us. The tension in her arms and legs never relaxed—like a cornered animal ready to pounce. “What is your game?”

“No game. We just want to talk,” I said carefully. “Cailu sent us, and we need to see Magni.”

She bent to lift her spear, the sword still at the ready in her hand. “Why are you here, then?” she asked Zahra.

“To tell Magni how much the cities outside of Rājadhānī are suffering. And to remind you that you support a tyrant.” Zahra sheathed her katana.

“You always were a fool,” Sanrai snarled. “I will pass on your message. Wait in the Third Shell for your response.” Placing two fingers in her mouth, she blew an ear-piercing whistle. I flinched. Tristan covered his ears. When she finished, she turned to Kathy. “And you. Grow a fucking spine.”

“Y-yes, honored one,” Kathy stammered, all color drained from her face.

A handful of fearsome catgirls surrounded Sanrai a moment later. She shouted an unintelligible command, and they moved as a group, marching swiftly down the center of the road.

“The Ejderha seem like a fun bunch,” Keke murmured as we regrouped.

“Yeah, so.” Tristan scratched the back of his neck and looked at Zahra. “Would you mind telling us what just happened?”

Zahra nodded. “I’ll buy us all drinks and explain. You too, Kathy. Come on.”

“S-sure,” Kathy said, catching her breath.

Welcome to Rājadhānī, indeed.

iRmLAop.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka, Elissia

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, Ice.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, eroth, Nicholas Crowley, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Nova, Runecaster, Alex bagster-collins, JackTheDave, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

3