Chapter 159: Materia Primoris
120 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wrestling the winged hellspawn took a lot more out of me than I’d anticipated. Felt like I was trying to wrangle a bowling ball with a dozen long skinny legs. And the infernal noise that went with it from the constantly beating wings drew glares from all around. Calling its name suddenly stopped working as soon as we started walking. Could the thing really tell that I wasn’t its master?

The girls followed me at a distance, their ears bent forward, and their hands cupped over them. I figured I could keep the bascar from struggling too much if I could hold its horn with one hand and curl my bicep around its body. While that was somewhat successful, I thoroughly underestimated just how powerful insects of this size could be.

I’m going to lose my goddamned hearing if this keeps up.

It wasn’t much farther. I could see the house from here. As we got closer, I could feel the steps of the girls trailing closer behind me.

“Still got it under control?” Keke chanced asking, releasing one of her ears.

“Yeah, I think so,” I said with a grunt. “Bastard’s tough, though.”

“I have faith in your abilities, Sir Matt,” said Ceres, mirroring Keke. “You have shouldered this responsibility admirably.”

“He’s a real cutie,” said Cannoli.

“The thing kinda creeps me out,” Ravyn admitted.

“How long have you all been traveling together for?” asked Jaya, a warm smile tugging at her lips. “You all act like you’ve known each other for a while.”

I had to think about it. A few months? For some of the girls, anyway. That sounded about right. I guess when you’re fighting for your life on a nearly daily basis, you forgot what time was. It seemed like each day that passed brought about a new trial or some new feat I had to conquer. So I just said what I was thinking.

“About a few months? Well, for Keke and Cannoli, that is.” I said, adjusting my grip around the bodybuilder stuck in a bug’s body, As I spoke, I focused on the insect in my arms. I knew that even a moment of lapsed judgment would send this thing soaring into the sky, never to be seen again.

“Two and a half here,” Ravyn said from behind me.

“My, I am indeed the least experienced,” Ceres said with a somewhat crestfallen expression. She strode beside me on my right, her chin pinched between her thumb and forefingers.

“You didn’t miss a ton,” I said. “Mostly just me tumbling down mountains toward my own death while chasing tail.”

“Chasing tail?” Jaya asked, bewildered.

“U-uh, yeah,” I stammered. Damn it, where’s Tristan when I need him. He’d put this in a much more eloquent way. “Had other, erm, things on my mind at the time.”

“Like what catgirls look like naked, you mean,” Ravyn cackled.

Ceres’ cheeks pinked. “My, Sir Matt. I did not believe you one with such wild imaginations.”

My face was beginning to heat, and it had nothing to do with the sun. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. Let’s, uh, just turn this bug in.”

Keke shot me a knowing look, giggling to herself.

Making fun of me over there?

Keke knocked on the door when we returned. My muscles were aching something fierce. Beads of sweat speckled my face, desperately wishing to be swept away. Whipping my hair from my eyes was the best thing I could do to avoid looking through a mop of brown and red.

I tapped my foot against the soft ground, eagerly awaiting my freedom. When the door opened, it was a kitten. The girl who had initially given us the Quest. Her emerald eyes bore into me with amazement. She was missing one of her front teeth, and her skin was on the paler side when compared to the adults.

“Glitter!” The girl threw her arms into the air and cheered. “Come in. Come in!” Pulling the door open as wide as she could, she stepped to one side and gave us an exaggerated bow while we entered.

“Where should I put it?” I asked, my lungs desperate for relaxation.

Meera, as we’d discovered when we met her, ran to one corner of the room and dragged an iron-barred cage to the center of the common room. The door squeaked as she opened it.

“In there!” said Meera.

I felt a little bad for the bug. The cage was awfully small—too small. There was no way he would be comfortable in that dinky thing.

Even so, I had to let go of this damn thing. “Hey, Ceres. Can you lift the cage, so it’s easier?”

“Of course, Sir Matt,” Ceres said with a casual curtsy.

“I can do it!” said Meera.

Seeing how much effort it took her just to bring the iron contraption over, I shook my head. “Ceres is a hero. Let her do it, okay?” I didn’t want to see Meera hurt herself.

“Okay,” Meera said with a pout.

Ceres moved to stand in front of me and lifted the cage off the ground with ease. She held it close to me with one arm under the enclosure and another on the door. Maybe it was just me, but I was sure Glitter was putting up a bigger fight than before. Even so, Ceres was ready. Like catching a roach in a cup—that’s cockroach, by the way, not Encroacher—she enveloped the giant beetle against my chest, pulling it shut once it was inside.

“Formidable,” Ceres said in awe as she observed the Encroacher.

“Let me see, let me see!” said Meera. Ceres did as she asked, and the girl fell to her stomach with her elbows on the floor and her chin between her hands. “He’s just the cutest!”

“Um, Meera?” Cannoli kneeled  to look at her. “Does Glitter have a bigger cage?”

Meera shook her head enthusiastically. “Nope! This is the only one I could find for him!”

“Where’s your mom?” asked Ravyn.

“She’s working on the wall.”

That was strange. Her mother hadn’t been here when we last visited either. Surely her mother was coming back.

“Hey, Meera?” said Cannoli. The little girl looked up at her, bright-eyed. “How do you think you would feel if you were in a small cage like that?”

The girl blinked. “Why would I be in a cage like that? I’m a catgirl, not a beetle!”

“Yes.” Cannoli nodded, her smile never fading. “But, think about it for a moment. Wouldn’t that hurt? Think of how squished you’d feel. Trapped, unable to move.”

“Hmm. I guess so.”

“Well, what if—”

“Oh! Your reward!” Meera leaped to her feet and ran to the small set of stairs, the wood creaking like it was on its last limb. Which it probably was. Moments later, she was descending the stairs with a large ceramic jug.

Keke rushed over, meeting Meera at the bottom of the stairs and taking the jug from her. “This is pretty heavy. You’re a strong kitten!” Keke maneuvered the water ration to one arm while tussling Meera’s hair.

“Hehe, thanks, kind lady!”

“Is that the water ration?” I asked.

“It is,” said Jaya, nodding. “Each catgirl is permitted two per week.”

Keke froze, her mouth agape. “Two?”

“You can’t be serious,” I said, aghast. “How does anyone survive with only two of those a week?”

“Matt,” Ravyn whispered as she neared. “Not in front of Meera.”

“T-thank you, Meera,” Keke said with less confidence this time.

“We can’t possibly take that,” I whispered back. “That’s beyond messed up. I drink that much water in a couple of days, and that’s if I’m comfortable.” I tried not to look at Meera too much, but the signs were clear. Her bones were protruding through her skin. Her face was sullen, and dark bags hung under her eyes. She was cute and energetic like any kitten, but it was evident she was severely malnourished.

Judging from the other girls’ looks, I assumed they felt similarly about her lack of food and water.

Cannoli came to stand next to Keke. “We can’t take this, Meera.”

“You and your mom should keep it,” Keke agreed.

Meera cocked her head. “Why? You got Glitter back for me. Heroes deserve a reward. That’s what Mommy taught me. Do good, and good comes back. That’s how it works, right?”

I’m not sure how much longer I can stand here without getting upset.

“That’s exactly right! Your mom sounds like a brilliant woman,” said Cannoli. As Meera received the jug back from Keke, Cannoli continued. “But, it’s important as a hero to be selfless when the situation calls for it. You need the water more than we do.” Cannoli gently pushed the jug against Meera’s chest. “You keep it.”

“Are you sure? I share with Mommy all the time.”

“More than sure!” Cannoli’s gaze traveled back to the cage, then to Meera. Cannoli curled her arms in front of her like a bodybuilder flexing. “We’re the heroes, so rely on us! We’ll take care of you!”

“Even though there’s a man with you?” Meera asked with genuine confusion. I have to admit, it hurt to be judged so quickly, even by a kid.

Mattaku,” said Ravyn. “Never judge someone like that, kid. Not all men are bad. I promise.”

Thanks, Ravyn.

“Sir Matt, if I may?” said Ceres.

“Yeah, go ahead, Ceres,” I said, rolling my shoulders.

“I think we should complete the other Quest as well.” Ceres put a hand against her chest. “As a knight, I feel it is our duty—”

My ears began to ring. Everything was starting to come in muffled. I caught bits and pieces of what Ceres said. Something about protecting Nyarlea or something. But to be honest, I heard almost nothing.

“What was that?”

Keke and Cannoli shared a few more words with the kitten, then returned. We waved our goodbyes, then left without another word.

We might’ve shortchanged ourselves some of the rewards, but if it meant putting a smile on Meera’s face, it was a small price we were willing to pay.

[The Golden Beetle] Complete!
Matt has gained: 5 XP!
Matt has gained: 12 Bells!
Matt has gained: 1 Water Ration!
Matt has lost: 1 Water Ration…

Keke has gained: 5 XP!

Cannoli has gained: 5 XP!

Ravyn has gained: 5 XP!

Ceres has gained: 5 XP!

y6qIVbR.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka, Elissia

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Nova, Runecaster, Alex bagster-collins, JackTheDave, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, JitterBun, Mika Laakkonen, Jackson crockett, Zoldort, Furor, Micki

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

3