Chapter 205: Bubble Pop!
77 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I want to take a moment to shout out Ranger Frank this week. He's an absolutely stand-up guy who wants the best for his story and his community. 

His story, Deathworld Commando: Reborn, is 7 Volumes strong. Every chapter is packed with relatable characters and a captivating narrative. Don't miss out!

You can also catch the story on Royal Road and HFY!

Thanks for the shoutout, RangerFrank! Here's to many more catgirls and commandos.

Cailu waited at the narrow dining room table as Tristan, Matt, and their Parties filed into the room. Zahra was at his left, ever still and stalwart. Kirti sat at his right, reserving dark side glances toward his arm, but otherwise remained silent.

Removing the sling one day early will not be the death of me, witch.

Naeemah was once again absent from their meeting. She’d taken care to avoid Cailu since their conversation. Perhaps that was for the best.

“The whole family’s here. It’s like Thanksgiving dinner all over again,” Matt grumbled, taking a seat next to Keke.

What nonsense do you speak of now?

Tristan responded with a weak laugh, apparently familiar with this ‘Thanksgiving.’ “It won’t be that bad. We’re all friends here.”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Ravyn hissed.

Matt replied with a noncommittal grunt.

Cannoli took a seat beside Ravyn at the far end of the table. Her gaze was downcast, and her ears dipped to the crown of her head. Tristan positioned himself between Destiny and Lara, his cat familiar circling his lap before curling to rest.

Three servants delivered a selection of small plates and bowls filled with appetizers. Matt plucked a handful of mixed berries from a wooden container. He popped a few into his mouth and asked, “So, Cailu, what’s this meeting for?”

Don’t speak with your mouth full. It was like addressing an ill-mannered child. “The other islands are strained by our absence, and we must return to our duties posthaste. You and Keke have achieved Level 10. Summon iPaw.” 

The square device materialized on the table. Cailu navigated through the menus before selecting [Companion iPaw]. As both Matt and Tristan were within the required proximity, options for [User Matthew] and [User Tristan] appeared. He chose Matt first, then scrolled through the images of his Party.

“Cannoli, you are still Level 8. This will need to be rectified—”

“No. It doesn’t,” Cannoli interrupted, raising her eyes to his. “I will travel with Matt to Nyarlothep and seek Saoirse’s Sanctuary.” The quiet, timid girl had vanished behind a face of furious determination. “I don’t need your—” her eyes flickered to Kirti, and she frowned, “—assistance.”

Cailu looked to Matt. With tense shoulders and his hands folded on the table, Matt nodded his agreement. There was more to this that neither of them chose to say. 

Is this you replacing your healer, Matt? “Very well. I can summon an escort to ensure your safety to the Sanctuary.” When Cannoli opened her mouth to protest, Cailu raised a hand. “It will be a [Bishop] of the faith, I assure you.”

With another furious look at Kirti, Cannoli nodded and refocused her attention on the table. Her blazard pet worried at her fingers, pushing its face against her hand.

Cailu pressed on. “Tristan, how is Shi Island faring?”

Tristan’s face blanched, and he crossed his arms. “I wasn’t looking forward to this conversation,” he admitted. “Shi Island is in a very, very bad way.”

“How so?”

“The groups of Defiled are destroying the cities one by one,” Ceres spoke up. “Venicia is one of the few remaining that prospers.”

“Our hometown was one of them,” Lara said sadly. “Not even the Elements could save Leche.”

In the whirlwind of events since his arrival on Ichi Island, Cailu realized he had very little information on Tristan’s arrival or time on Shi. He accessed Tristan’s Party on the iPaw. Base Level 20 was not so great a feat, especially if you utilized your time and resources. But he was still a First Class—that part concerned him. “Are you new to this world?”

Tristan shook his head. “No. I’ve been here for three years.”

Cailu’s eyes narrowed. Surely you did not neglect your duties?

“Before you tan his ass, they were holding him hostage on Shi. Inside the School of Etiquette,” Matt said, his tone sharp.

“What kind of man allows himself to be taken hostage?” Cailu asked.

“You’re asking the wrong question, Cailu,” Destiny growled. “What you mean is, what kind of catgirl takes a man hostage?”

Tristan laid a hand on Destiny’s shoulder. “There’s no excuse for my remaining complacent for three years. I should have done more, and I’ll be the first to admit it.”

“But, Tristan—” Destiny began.

“No, it’s alright. I can’t change the past, Cailu. None of us can,” Tristan locked his gaze, words weighing heavy in the air. “What I can help with is the future. So tell me what to do.”

Cailu studied Tristan in silence. The boy’s intentions were genuine, and there was heart in everything he said. There was little reason to distrust him now. “This… catgirl. Is she still in a seat of power at the school?”

“Celestia was removed from her position by myself and two of the island’s residents. Ara is the one leading the school and pushing attempts to restore Shi in my stead,” Tristan explained. “It’s not perfect, but it’s a start.”

“That is well enough,” Cailu replied. “Shi Island is known for its [Magic Knight] training, is it not?”

Ceres held up a hand, signaling her desire to speak. At least one of you has manners. He gave her a curt nod. “It was, sir. The school was destroyed in the attacks, and the Sword of Virtues stolen. It is no longer an adequate space for [Magic Knight] training.”

“That explains the influx of recruits in Nyarlothep,” Cailu noted. “Tristan—”

“Hey. Who the hell are you to give Tristan so much shit about his island?” Ravyn snapped. Ball flapped away from her shoulder with her sudden outburst. “There are starving kittens crawling all over Shulan, stealing [Cat Pack]s and Bells so they can eat.”

Cailu frowned. “My duty is shared between San and Nyarlothep. There is no time—”

“All I’m hearing are fucking excuses. Kuso! Tristan and Matt gave hope to a bunch of kittens who had to live underground on Shi Island. What the hell have you done to help the girls on San?”

How could you possibly understand the weight on my shoulders? Cailu inhaled a deep breath through his nose. No, as much as it pained him to admit it, Ravyn was correct. The economical situation on San Island was out of hand, to put it lightly. It was one of the many reasons he needed assistance from the other men.

A sudden idea occurred. “Tristan, you wish to study [Wizard], do you not?”

“I do.”

“The hell does that have to do with San—” Ravyn started.

Cailu talked over her. “You are an avid reader with attention to detail.” 

Ball screeched over Ravyn as she raised her voice. “Don’t ignore—!”

“Suppose we were to trade places for a time,” Cailu suggested.

Ravyn quieted at last, staring at Cailu in disbelief.

Tristan furrowed his brow. “What do you mean?”

“San Island is the epicenter of [Mage]s and Magic. I believe you would flourish both in your studies and as an economic advisor.” Cailu gestured to Zahra and Kirti. “In the interim, we will cull the Defiled threat on Shi Island.”

Drumming his fingers on the table, Tristan hummed in thought. “How will you know where to go? Certain cities are affected more than others.”

“I will join them,” Ceres said.

“Ceres?” Matt raised an eyebrow.

“Sir Matt, it will take some time for you and Keke to study and obtain your Second Class. I wish to help these efforts in improving Nyarlea to the best of my ability.” Ceres’ eyes shined with pride, and she held her chin high. “It would be my honor to assist in restoring my island.”

“Ceres would make a great guide, Matt. And you know she’d be safe,” Keke added.

“I know, I just…” Matt looked from Ceres to Cailu, then puffed out his cheeks with a sigh. “Yeah. Alright.”

“So, why don’t I go with Tristan, then?” Ravyn asked, her anger seemingly quelled by Cailu’s proposition. “Help get him comfortable. You know what it’s like in Shulan.”

Matt’s face paled. He set his jaw and looked at Ravyn. “Are you sure?”

“What, you want me to sit around and wait for you to finish your Second Class?” Ravyn snapped. “Baka. I’ll be ready for you again when you’re done. You won’t miss me.”

The expression Matt wore said otherwise. He rubbed his neck, then crossed his arms. “Okay.”

“Is there anything left here that we still need to do?” Tristan asked, eyes lingering on Cailu.

“I’m awaiting the completion of a commissioned order in the First Shell,” Cailu replied. “If she has apprentices, it should be finished within a few days. I will visit her tomorrow. Once she is finished, we will depart.”

“What’s the order?” Lara asked, touching her chin and staring at him with wide eyes.

“You shall see when it is done. No sooner.” Though it seems Cannoli’s armor will end its life in a wardrobe.

“What about Ni Island?” Matt asked. “None of us will be there.”

“Ni Island didn’t have a man for a very long time until you showed up,” Keke said gently. “The girls there have been doing a good job of keeping things peaceful. They’ll be okay for a little while longer.”

Matt’s face fell.

Cailu felt a tinge of empathy for him. It was difficult to be called superfluous. “They will need you, Matt. It is why you train. Accept Keke’s advice as a blessing.”

“Yeah. Sure.”

“Sir, dinner is complete,” one of the servants returned to announce. “May we bring it out?”

“A moment, please.” He waited for the girl to bow and leave before addressing the table. “Any questions?”

“I don’t think so,” Tristan replied. Destiny and Lara shook their heads.

Keke, Ravyn, and Ceres also signaled they were satisfied. Cannoli’s stare was years away.

“I’m good. Are we done?” Matt asked.

“Yes, that is all for now.”

“Great. I’m not hungry.” Matt stood and pushed his chair back to the table. “Gonna go for a walk. Enjoy dinner, guys.”

“Matt,” Keke said, reaching for his hand.

“Nah, I’m okay.” He pulled it away. “Eat something. I’ll find you later.” 

Cailu watched him go, raising an arm to the maid waiting with their meal.

This is the reality, Matt. Nyarlea is forever changing, and we must change with it.

DtvQCbv.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Col Adamson, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, William Martin, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon |  Store | Discord

4