Chapter 212: Hermoso Cariño
56 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning was a swingset of emotions. I fought hard not to let it show on my face. One moment I’d be chipper and excited for our trip to Nyarlothep, and the next came the battering thoughts of leaving my girls behind for who knew how long.

Easy there. Remember, it’s not like this is goodbye. It’s more like a ‘see ya later,’ Kelmer.

Breakfast was the typical fare, albeit a bit more lively than usual. The sun still hadn’t peaked over the horizon, and at Cailu’s suggestion, I stopped eating once I was satiated. Not that I really had the appetite to stuff myself, anyway.

Cailu’s expressions came off more human than usual. Well, about as human as a statue can be, I guess. He still used that same holier-than-thou language, and it still sounded like he was talking down to me. But I swore I saw the faintest hint of a smile on his face.

“So, what’s our plan?” I asked, shoveling a spoonful of soup into my mouth. It had a strange taste—like someone decided to make a broth from a cactus and lemons. The bite-sized lumps of didrilla within reminded me a bit of goat. Tough and a bit stringy. The gamey flavors were something I’d grown used from so many of our nights spent camping.

Cailu leaned against the table and set his chin on top of his hands. “We must locate someone who can offer us gigashanks. Our time is precious.”

“Agni let us borrow the ones we used to get here,” Tristan supplied. “We could see if she’s still around?”

“A fine suggestion,” Cailu nodded. “We must hurry if we are to catch the merchant ship sailing to Nyarlothep. If we—”

“We have Portia,” I interrupted.

“Yeah,” Tristan said with a nervous laugh. “She’s probably wondering where we are.”

Even if this is pretty normal for her by now, we should really make it up to her. 

“Portia? Was she the same one you traveled with to San Island?” Cailu asked.

Yeah, the one who robbed you blind.

“The one and only. She’s taken us from island to island,” I said, grabbing a small roll off the decorated center plate. “There’s no one I trust more to get us there.”

“Is she going to be okay with so many people coming aboard?” Cannoli asked from across the table. “I know her boat’s bigger, but we have three more people now.”

“I’ll sweeten the deal,” said Ravyn. She sat next to Cannoli, feeding Ball the occasional treat. 

Ball perched on the table, littering the area with crumbs. The blue-feathered banshee had been oddly quiet as of recent. 

“Unless you’re planning on walking up to her with a handful of Bells—” Keke started.

“I am,” Ravyn finished. “She’ll see reason. She always does.”

Keke groaned and rested her head on the table between her crossed arms. “Fine. Do whatever you want. It’s too damn early anyway,” she whined. She shut her eyes, and I admired the rise and fall of her back.

“Portia is a lovely girl.” Destiny leaned forward to see around Tristan, a warm smile tugging at the corners of her lips. “She would be perfectly suitable, I think, to take us there. I have enjoyed our company with her very much. Tristan, too.”

Tristan returned her smile. “Matt and Destiny are right. I trust her. She seems to know the waters intimately.”

Cailu let one arm fall and pinched his chin in thought.

Does everything you do have to be so pompous?

“Then we will make contact with her first.” Cailu settled his gaze on me. “If you trust her, then I’ll see to it that she is properly compensated for her efforts.”

“I’ll hold you to that,” I said, not bothering to look at him.

“How did you get here, Cailu?” Tristan asked. “I can’t imagine the Nyarlothep merchant ship makes that many stops to Ichi in such a short amount of time.”

Cailu shook his head. “We purchased passage from a [Dark Priest]. Without knowing how long I would be dispatched to this island, I sent Yǔ xī—the woman who captains my ship—and her crew back to San Island. They await my orders.”

Of course he has a crew.

Breakfast carried on like it had been since the morning after we walked into the citadel. Every day felt like my own personal hell whenever I sat at that table. A few times, I’d gone out of my way to take my food to another room, if just to avoid the overbearing stare of judgment that Cailu poured on me.

I finished eating and returned to my room. Once I’d packed the rest of my belongings, I examined the armor Cailu had given me. It had a distinct Ichi Island feel to it—an everlasting reminder of the nights we spent in this hellhole.

Hey, man. Stop that. It’s good equipment. Just put it on.

“[Combat Mode].” My combat equipment appeared, and I took my time removing my old gear and swapping it for each new piece. 

The sleeveless top was made of a thick, off-white fabric that pooled around my neck in a makeshift hood—probably in case of sandstorms—then split and billowed behind me like a cape. The edges had detailed embroidery that swirled and spun like the desert winds.

Imagine that. A shirt that covers my chest and my stomach.

Two thick leather belts held the tunic against me, one crossing my shoulder, the other just above my hips. Dark pants made from a denim-like material tucked into knee-high leather boots. Matching leather bracers circled my forearms and wrists, with fingerless gloves at the ends. Metal armbands that looked like burnished gold clasped around my biceps, each holding a shimmering green gem in their center.

Looking at the pile of tiger leathers at the foot of the bed, I began to realize just how worn my armor had become. “Out with the old, in with the new,” I muttered. I slid the stupid aviator cap from my head and tossed it in with the pile of tiger leathers. That 1 Resistance point wasn’t doing much for me anymore. Good fucking riddance.

Once the equipment was set, I switched back to [Civilian Mode] and picked up my old armor.

What should I do with this stuff?

The thought of throwing it away was bittersweet. We’d busted our asses to get these sets. It carried a lot of good and bad memories, especially of San Island. The Defiled attack, the pickpocket kittens in the streets, the incredible food, and… Yomi. 

A sigh escaped my lips, and I found I couldn’t part with the armor. At least, not for now. Perhaps later I’d scrap the stuff and get something for it.

Until then, it would sit in my [Cat Pack] or at Keke’s house or something.

Time to deliver the armor.

I left the hall, thinking on how I should’ve given the girls their new sets before turning in the night prior. But Cannoli and her well-being took priority. I wasn’t about to skip out early on our time with the fluffpuffs just to deliver Cailu’s gear. Cannoli was more important than that.

Keke had fallen asleep on one of the sofas in the main hall last I’d seen her, and I hadn’t been able to find Ravyn since I left the dining room. With that in mind, I decided to make Cannoli the first one I visited.

I knocked on the door to their room, and Tristan answered.

“Oh. What’s up, Matt?”

“Hey,” I smiled and offered a casual wave. Standing behind him was Cannoli. “Ah, there you are.” I gestured behind Tristan with a quick nod.

Tristan left the door open and went over to where Zahra was quietly packing her things. Cannoli hopped closer to where I stood, a familiar pep in her step. What a relief it was to see.

I cleared my throat and handed each piece of Cannoli’s gear to her one at a time. Cannoli’s outfit alone looked like it could pay for my retirement and then some.

“Oh my goodness!” Cannoli plucked one of the fabrics hanging over her forearm, her eyes widening as her thumb brushed against the silky material. “It’s so soft! Oh my gosh! Feel it!” She shoved the folded cotton against my cheek, and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Damn,” I said with absolute seriousness. “This is like a pillow.”

Many pillows,” Cannoli breathed without taking her eyes off the equipment. Hopping from one foot to the other, she looked over her shoulder at Tristan. “I’m sorry, Tristan. Can we get the room for a minute?”

“Sure thing,” Tristan said easily. “Do you still need time to pack, Zahra?”

“No,” Zahra shook her head. “I have everything I need now.” She grabbed the scabbard containing her katana and put one end around her neck so that it hung at her side.

I made my way into the room while Zahra and Tristan brushed past me, shutting the door behind them. Cannoli carefully placed each piece of her new set on the bed in sequential order, beginning with the headpiece. Her tail swayed from side to side with the enthusiasm I’d come to expect from her. 

After a time, Cannoli stepped back and marveled at the sight before her. She bit her bottom lip and clapped her hands together. “It’s so pretty,” she whispered.

I fought down the minor bit of jealousy I felt. I wish I could have been the one who did this for her. But I held onto what Melly had said—no one did this sort of thing on a whim. There must’ve been something about me that Cailu admired. Hell, just getting three of the guys together was a miracle in itself. So, in a way, this was because of me. Besides, if it meant helping my girls out, I could swallow my pride on this one.

“Try it on,” I encouraged.

Cannoli held the top close to her chest, then said, “[Combat Mode].” The tiger outfit replaced her prior clothes, and as unbuckled the cape, she paused.

“Oh. Right. Should I leave?” I glanced at the door. Should have thought of that a lot sooner.

“No, it’s okay. Can you just turn around, please?”

“Sure.” I turned around and listened to the sound of clothing ruffling and rubbing together. The occasional clang of metal drew a squeak from her, and I smiled.

“Okay, done.”

When I turned around, I gasped. ‘Regal’ was the first word that came to mind as I observed her. Golden plates rested over one another on each shoulder. Long sky-blue sleeves covered both arms, attached to a robe that rested just above her ankles. Around her waistline was a golden v-shaped ring, an incredible jewel of green at its center. The same gem decorated a similarly made necklace and form-fitting corset.

“Cannoli, you look like a princess,” I said, wide-eyed.

Cannoli averted her gaze, flushing. “D-do I really?”

“Absolutely. How does it feel?”

“Amazing! I could take the armor off and fall asleep in this. But then I’d wear it out, so I’ll be good.”

“Cailu said it was powerful armor, so let’s just how powerful it is. Appear, iPaw.”

Cannoli frowned. “Cailu, huh?”

“I know. I’m not exactly thrilled, either. But I have to agree that we need the best armor we can get. And I want you to be safe, so.” I shrugged. I scrolled through the menus like I usually did and located Cannoli’s profile. It felt strange to see Keke and me at Level 10 and her at Level 8. I stared at her portrait for a time, burning it into my memory. Chances were, this would be the last time I saw her picture in my Party window. I swallowed against the building lump in my throat and forced out my words. “Okay, let’s see what it looks like.”

Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Band!
Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Gown!
Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Sleeves!
Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Pantaloons!
Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Slippers!
Cannoli has gained: Emerald Herald’s Necklace!

Emerald Herald’s Band: +10 Myana Points, +3 Magic, +3 Resistance. +3 Defense, +8 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Emerald Herald’s Gown: +8 Myana Points, +4 Magic, +3 Resistance, +5 Defense, +10 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Emerald Herald’s Sleeves: +5 Myana Points, +2 Magic, +3 Dexterity, +3 Defense, +8 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Emerald Herald’s Pantaloons: +8 Myana Points, +3 Magic, +3 Resistance, +5 Defense, +10 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Emerald Herald’s Slippers: +5 Myana Points, +2 Magic, +3 Agility, +3 Defense, +8 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Emerald Herald’s Necklace: +10 Myana Points, +5 Magic, +5 Vitality. Special Effect: Reduce Wind-Element damage by 15%.

I’d nearly dropped the iPaw. The tiger set was incredible, but this blew it out of the water. No wonder why this armor would’ve cost a small fortune. If every equipment set was like this, then I couldn’t wait to see what the others looked like. This ‘Enchantable’ notification was especially interesting. Hopefully, I could get details about that from someone not named Cailu.

“Matt?” Cannoli put a gentle hand on my shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah. Er, how do you feel?” I stammered.

“Uhm.” Cannoli retracted her hand and put it against her chest. “It’s hard to describe. My fingers feel funny. Tingly? Sparkly?” She frowned. “My head feels a bit heavy.”

As eager as I was to try and see how the insane improvement to her Magic would affect her Skills, I couldn’t see any way to test it. Well, beyond slicing open my finger and seeing how well she could heal it. Or maybe [Blessed Light] would permanently blind me.

“Are you going to be okay?” I asked.

“Yes, I think so,” Cannoli said with a hand to her forehead. “What does the armor do?”

I traced my finger down the row of Magic improvements, silently mouthing the addition I was doing in my head. “You, uh, got nineteen more points of Magic.”

Cannoli gasped. She fell back onto the bed and clapped a hand to her mouth. “No wonder my hands feel so weird.”

“Is that normal?”

Cannoli nodded. “Mhm. It happened when I first put my tiger armor on, too. Usually it only lasts for a couple of seconds, though. Like stretching my hands or feet! Sometimes I’ll feel a little lightheaded, but then it’s gone.”

I wondered if putting up Magic shared physical effects like Strength and Vitality, just for the brain. What changes, exactly?

“It’s starting to go away,” Cannoli whispered just loud enough for me to hear.

“Good.” I moved to stand beside her, leaning against the post. “You like the armor, then?”

“Yes. I love it.” She smiled and drew in a deep breath. “Hey, Matt?”

“Yeah?”

“I can’t wait to see what I can do as a [Priest].”

I returned her smile and brushed a long strand of hair away from her face. “Neither can I.”

MVPmrIz.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Col Adamson, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince, hanani, ICE.Paragon, Zane Flannery, Blaze

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

3