Chapter 242: She’s Filled With Secrets
31 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emberlynn’s servant, Dana, had been amicable with Destiny and Lara’s desire to aid. Destiny poured a dark liquid from a teapot with sucked-in lips, anticipating the delicious taste that would no doubt accompany the incredible scent.

“I’ve never had this kind of tea before,” Destiny said, pouring Tristan a cup. He seemed in better spirits today, and for that, Destiny couldn’t be happier. Ball maintained his position on Tristan’s shoulder, and she tapped his beak playfully. 

Destiny offered a curt bow before tending to her sister’s cup next. “What is it made from?”

Dana poured herself a cup, then approached Misha’s—another servant sitting at the table—cup next. “It’s made from nailbark and poja leaves.”

Lara blinked, looked down at her cup, and then back up at Dana. “Doesn’t nailbark keep you awake?”

“It does,” Dana nodded as she topped off Misha’s cup. She set the pot at the table's center, then took a seat across from Lara and Tristan. “This is simply mere dust compared to directly ingesting the bark.”

Destiny knew the effects of nailbark well. She and Lara had partaken in its effects during particularly rough evenings when Celestia had been unhappy with their performance.

Couldn’t take pride in your own work, so you had to rely on nailbark. Typical.

Destiny swallowed the thought.

“It’s a wonderful treat to have in the morning for a boost,” Dana said, sipping from the end of her cup. Unlike the cups they’d used in Venicia, these were tall and cylindrical, bearing ridges on the outside to allow for a better grip. The cups were black but apparently came in a wide variety of colors. “The poja leaves give it much-needed flavor!”

“Thank you, Dana,” Tristan smiled, bringing the cup to his lips with both hands. And what fine lips they were. From that mouth spilled the most wonderful words Destiny had ever heard. It didn’t matter what words they were, so long as they came from that mouth. Soft, full, wonderfully—

“Destiny?”

“Y-y-yes?” Destiny asked, turning toward her sister.

Lara pointed at Misha. 

“I was wondering if Madame Celestia was still head maid,” Misha said, resting her chin on her palm. She wore an identical outfit to that of Dana’s. The estate’s uniform, Destiny assumed.

“A-ah!” Pay attention! Get your head out of the clouds! Destiny sipped her tea, and her heart skipped a beat. It’d been some time since she last felt the effects of nailbark. It was alarming, but she quickly acclimated due in no small part to the poja leaves. They left behind a sweet and woody flavor that tickled the nose. “Goodness, this is wonderful.”

“Thank you for your kind words,” Dana said. She’d already drained half her tea.

“Celestia is no longer head maid,” Lara supplied, drumming her fingers against her cup. “Madame Ara is the head maid now.”

“Ho ho! Ara?” Misha said, her black ears perking up. “Now that’s a woman fit for head maid. Is her sister doing okay?”

“Y-yes,” Destiny said, trying to hide the incoming blush. You’re just afraid. Admit it. It was nice to be away from Shi Island, where no one could record your failures. “Lynn had a rough time for a while, but she’s doing better now.” She swallowed, afraid of looking stupid. “I’m sorry, my memory seems to be failing me. I don’t remember you from school.”

“Because I quit,” Misha said flatly. “One year was enough for a lifetime.” She leaned back in her chair, then glanced at Tristan. “This the Shi Island man?”

“Yes,” Lara nodded. Destiny noted that she’d finished her tea already. When had she done that? 

It’s because your head is stuck in the clouds. Like always. 

“We’ve been tasked with, uhm…solving the economic problems you have,” Lara continued.

Dana and Misha exchanged looks. 

“Then, the reason Mistress Ravyn is here—” Dana began.

“Is to assist me,” Tristan said with a hand to his chest, “in solving the issues San Island is suffering from.” He set his cup down and laid his hands on the table. “We’re hoping that Emberlynn can shed some light on where San Island is struggling.”

“Got your work cut out for you,” Misha said. “You basically get two options on San Island.” She held up one finger. “You go to Shulan and try to peddle your wares.” She lifted her middle finger next. “Or, you come to Zhuli for a job.”

“It can’t be that simple,” Tristan replied.

Misha laughed. “Well, of course, it’s not. Mind you, I’ve only been working here for two years, but that’s what I’ve seen.”

“That sounds awful,” Destiny said.

“Beats slaving away in the only decent town on Shi Island.”

She’s right. You know she’s right. You should admit you were wrong. “I…suppose that’s fair.” She bowed her head, shutting her eyes.

“Are you feeling alright?” Dana asked.

“Yes. Thank you.” You’re in the presence of proper maids, so act like it. 

“Do you have any input?” Tristan asked. “Any advice or experiences you’d like to share? I must admit, I’m at a bit of a loss.”

Dana shook her head. “I’m afraid I don’t have much to offer. I’m sorry.”

“Came right to Emberlynn’s estate after I left the Venicia School of Etiquette.” Misha shrugged. “What I told you is just what I’ve heard since living here.”

Tristan wore a complex expression. He had worn the same expression when he read through Melody’s book and when they parted from Matt and the others.

How I wish I could take your pain away.

“We’ll figure it out,” Destiny said, putting a hand on his forearm. The gesture was a bit more intimate than was proper, but for some reason she didn’t mind. “Lara and I will be with you every step of the way.”

Tristan glanced at Destiny’s hand, then at Lara before returning Destiny’s gaze. Then he smiled. “Thank you, Destiny. I hope Ravyn and Emberlynn have some answers for us.”

“Do you think Mistress Ravyn will wish to stay?” Dana asked, her eyes unabashedly curious.

Lara laughed, then clapped a hand to her mouth. “I’m sorry.”

“What’s so funny?”

“You haven’t really met Ravyn, yet,” Tristan noted.

“She’s rather… independent,” Destiny said. “And favors an unusual method of speaking…” Did I word that right? Please tell me I didn’t just spit all over the daughter of Emberlynn.

Dana and Misha looked at each other, then back at Destiny, Tristan, and Lara. “That’s not how Emberlynn described her,” Dana said.

“Oh. The conversation’s over,” Lara said.

“What?”

“Do you mean with Ravyn and Emberlynn?” Destiny asked. Perhaps Wind had brought her a message.

“Yes,” Lara said. “Oh. Ravyn is quite angry.”

Suddenly, the door slammed open, and everyone turned to the source. There, wearing an expression so twisted and contorted with fury, stood Ravyn.

Dana and Misha shot to their feet, hands behind their backs. “Mistress Ravyn!” they cried in unison.

“Sister! Sister, where are we going?” a kitten said behind her. She wore a long black dress with red accents. Her hair was deep red like Ravyn’s, flecked with blonde. The girl put a hand on each of Ravyn’s legs, peeking between them with large violet eyes. “Oh, the servant quarters!”

Ravyn visibly swallowed, and her eye twitched. “Who’s the other one?” she growled.

“That’s Dana,” the kitten said, pointing at the servant. She pointed at the other servant. “And that’s Misha!”

“Thanks, Sophia.” Ravyn drew a deep breath, looking at Misha.

Misha flattened her ears against her head. “Can I assist you with anything, Mistress Ravyn?”

Ravyn sucked in her lips. “Some tea would be nice.” Just as Misha turned, Ravyn stopped her. “None of that nailbark sh— stuff.” Her tone changed to one that even Destiny could tell was a forced attempt at kindness. “If you would be so kind.”

“Yes, of course.” Misha returned to the workstation behind her.

Tristan rose to his feet and approached Ravyn, glancing at the girl between her legs. Bally flapped over to his master’s shoulder, and the two shared a quick look. “Sister, huh?”

“Yeah,” Ravyn said.

Oh no. This is not good. Ravyn’s not going to—

“What’s your name?” Tristan asked as he knelt down.

“Sophia!” the girl cried with enthusiasm.

“What a pretty name!”

“What’s your name?”

“You can call me Uncle Tristan.”

Sophia tilted her head to one side. “Ooncle? What’s that?”

Tristan opened his mouth, then paused. “Like your sister’s best friend.”

“Ohhhh! You’re a man!” Sophia clapped. “Mama says men are strong. Are you strong?”

“Very strong! Want to see?”

Sophia nodded, and Tristan grabbed her under the arms and swooped her away from her sister, lifting her into the air. “Rawwrr!”

Sophia giggled. “Wow!”

Tristan held Sophia to his chest. The girl nestled herself against the crook of his arm, seated atop his spare forearm. “You’re pretty strong yourself, Sophia!” He spun around. “Want to meet some new friends?”

“Yes!”

“My name is Lara,” Lara said, standing and bowing. “I can talk to the Elements.”

“Ooooh!”

Ravyn strode past Destiny and Lara, joining Misha at the other end of the room. The two shared a hushed conversation while Tristan continued to play and talk with Sophia.

Can I somehow capture this event? The image of Tristan playing so happily with the kitten sparked ideas of what her own kittens would look like. What kind of women would they grow up to be? Would they follow after their father? Their mother?

You would be a terrible mother.

Destiny balled the fabric of her maid attire into her hands, averting her gaze.

“I can speak to them too!” Sophia said. “Put me down, Uncle Tristan! I want to show her!”

Tristan did as she asked, and Sophia ran to Lara’s side. The two carried on their conversation as Tristan retook his seat beside Destiny.

“She’s cute,” Tristan said, lifting the cup of tea to his lips.

“Yes,” Destiny said, her mind bombarded by a dozen self-deprecating scenarios. Her heart throbbed, each of them more painful than the last. 

I don’t want to ruin what we have. Visiting Tristan in the evenings at the school for years had planted a slow-growing seed of affection. She was the one person who didn’t come to his door in search of a kitten.

She knew how much that meant to him. 

It’s better if I say nothing. 

But now that they were in one another’s company every hour of the day, her adoration had sprung thorned vines that wrapped around her heart.

It’s not like I’d be a good mother, anyway. Tristan has enough going on without me adding to it. I need to support him. He didn’t need another girl at his door. He needed a friend. A trusted companion.

“I’m surprised Ravyn has a sister,” Tristan noted.

Things are better this way.

“Water seems to like you quite a bit,” Lara said as she and Sophia giggled. “Have you spoken to Fire before?”

“Fire’s my favorite!” Sophia said. “Fire says he likes Sister Ravyn a lot, too!”

“Maybe we could both convince her to speak to him.”

“Does she hate him?”

Destiny rocked back and forth in her chair.

“Destiny, are you okay?” Tristan asked.

Destiny gasped, broken from her reverie. “I-I’m sorry. I was distracted. Yes. I’m fine.” She smiled.

“You barely touched your tea. Are you sure?”

Only Lara knows as much about me as you do.

“Yes,” Destiny lied, taking a drink of her—now cold—tea. “Delightful. What a wonderful brew.” She would not be a burden on him. She would not destroy what they had. “Lara seems to really like Sophia.”

Tristan blinked, then smiled. “I think we would all be better off if we could see smiles like that more often.”

“I couldn’t agree more.”

Bury those thoughts. Bury them, and never unearth them again.

bXSCM3a.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback, and Audible! Volume Two is available on eBook and Paperback. Volume Three is out now on eBook! 

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Yomi’s Tier: DiscountDan, SkySom

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Carmine, Ed, Flaming Moose, Alex bagster-collins, William Martin

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Lazarus G, LT_Ashpole

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Skade, Rosalee, SharktoothJack, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Zane Flannery, Blaze, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Zak Stromquist, Spencer decoteau, Jacob Moore, Alex H Cowley, Zeklor

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

1