Chapter 248: The Red and the Black
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lara had never slept in a more comfortable bed in all her life. The cushions were like puffy little clouds, the sheets softer than any cotton—they were made of silk, she was sure she heard Misha say—and the gentle whiff of cinnamon wafted through the air.

How was anyone supposed to leave their bed?

Tristan was already up and about, Destiny helping him dress. The fabric and fit resembled the attire Ravyn usually wore in her [Civilian Mode]. Long black cloth covered him from a high-collared neck down to his ankles. Red complemented the hems and accessories, intricately decorated with waves of black. Tristan held one panel of the black top against his left side while Destiny wrapped the second one to his right, then she carefully worked the sash behind him, tying and tucking the thick fabric into itself.

“Wow,” Lara mumbled, blinking. “Where are you going?”

“To speak with Emberlynn,” Tristan said, tucking his fingers under the collar. “It’s kind of tight.”

“I think that’s by design,” Destiny said, frowning.

“Why not get Misha or Dana to help?” Lara asked.

Destiny shook her head. “They gave me explicit instructions, and I want to show them that Shi Island maids are not to be underestimated.”

Service, Grace, Urgency. Lara wasn’t sure if she’d ever be able to remove those three simple words from her brain. “But isn’t it better if he looks his best?”

Destiny paused and shut her eyes. “Yes.”

“Girl’s too scared of failure,” Fire said. “She needs to set aside her pride.”

“You know from experience?” came Wind’s chiding voice.

Lara threw her head under the pillow. It was much too early to be speaking with the Elements, let alone Fire and Wind. For as long as she could remember, the two could never agree on anything. It didn’t help that Wind seemed to enjoy provoking Fire.

“What are you implying?” Fire growled.

“I’m just saying, the bigger someone talks, the more frail their ego seems to be.” Wind giggled. “I’m sure it’s just an observation. Pay me no mind.”

“Done.”

At last, the Elements were silent. On most days, Lara could deal with their incessant bickering. Sometimes, she even had fun with it. But her time on San Island had proven to be much more stressful than she’d anticipated.

Wind could never keep her attention on any one thing for very long. With the popularity of garnets in Emberlynn’s estate and their ability to exhibit heat and light, Fire was present for much longer periods of time than normal, and that meant more arguments between the two. 

Earth loved the palace that was Emberlynn’s home and could hardly go two minutes without making some sort of commentary on the luxurious designs. All of which he attributed to himself, of course.

Lara retracted her head from underneath the pillow, wiggled to face Destiny and Tristan, then lay on her stomach, chin perched on a new pillow.

“What stupidity,” Lara heard Wind say.

Yes, it was much too early for this.

Destiny drew back when she was done with the sash, cupping her chin and tapping at her cheek with a finger. She tapped her foot in rhythm with her finger—a subconscious habit of hers when she was thinking.

Tristan stepped forward, then turned around slowly, his arms held wide at the sides. “How do I look?”

“I think it’s okay,” Destiny whispered just loudly enough for Lara to hear.

“What was that, Destiny?”

Destiny shook her head. “The fabric is coiling a bit over here,” she said, stepping forward to straighten the section where it overlapped, “where it folds.”

Lara smiled. Destiny waited on Tristan like a child at times. Such raw displays of affection would’ve been frowned upon at the school, but here, Destiny could be herself. It was a rare sight, and one Lara knew her sister needed dearly.

“The girl is going to get herself in trouble,” Fire groaned.

Wind suddenly appeared beside Lara, resting on her shoulder in the shape of a tiny woman. She bore large bug-like eyes, green skin, and an equally green dress that seemed like an extension of her small body. “She wears her heart on her sleeve. That’s the term, right? I heard Tristan say that before.”

Lara nodded. “What do you mean, Wind?”

Tristan and Destiny glanced at her, and she shook her head.

“She loves him,” Wind said.

Lara gasped, eliciting another glance from Destiny and Tristan. She shook her head again. “You’re certain?”

“She didn’t say it outright, but have you looked at your sister lately?” Wind began to imitate exaggerated versions of human expressions. “The large eyes, the sweet voice, following him around like a small, lost animal.” She gasped. “And the touching! Look!”

Destiny had Tristan’s hand clasped in both of hers. She smiled warmly at him and was saying something, but Wind and Fire were much too loud for Lara to hear.

“She touches him so much!” Wind continued.

“The men are a commodity,” Fire said. “Did you forget that?”

“Oh, shut up, hothead. That’s more than just simple friendship! The girl’s enamored!”

“She can’t be,” Lara said, blinking. The Elements didn’t understand Destiny like she did. This was just how she was. Tristan was a beacon of hope for her sister during their time at the school. Destiny’s whole face would light up whenever she spoke of him. Sure, it had intensified somewhat since they left Shi Island, but it was her duty as a maid to—

“This is totally crazy,” Wind giggled. “What a daring girl.”

“Lara, get dressed!” Tristan said excitedly. At some point, he and Destiny had finished. “I’d like to have you there.”

“Why? I don’t know anything about business or money or…anything that San Island is suffering from,” Lara said, yawning. “Besides, I’m still so tired.”

“Please?”

Lara blinked. She couldn’t say no to him. Their roles as master and servant may have been dismantled, but the desire to be useful was still there. “Okay. Give me a few minutes.”

Once Lara was ready, she, Tristan, and Destiny met Ravyn in the ballroom. They stopped a few feet away from her, Lara on Tristan’s left and Destiny to his right. Ravyn was observing tears in the rug, poking at the flaps of fabric with the tip of her shoe. They flopped over like wet leather, and the [Sorcerer] clicked her tongue.

“Good morning,” Tristan said in his chipper voice. How he could manage that persona under these circumstances, Lara had no idea.

“Morning,” Ravyn said bluntly, passing looks between Lara and Destiny. Bally swooped down and landed on top of Ravyn’s head. He tucked his beak beneath his wing and plucked a feather from his body. A crunch followed, and the bird let the feather fall from his beak, floating harmlessly to the floor. “Did the servants take care of you?”

“Yes. They were exquisite with the level of service provided!” Destiny said with admiration in her tone.

“Mm.” Ravyn stepped closer to Tristan and then adjusted the fabric beneath the sash. “It was a little crooked.”

“Oh! Thanks, Ravyn,” Tristan said, smiling.

“Are you feeling alright, Ravyn?” Destiny asked.

“I’m fine. I just want to get this over with.”

“Sister! Sister!” came a high-pitched squeal from the second floor. A sigh escaped Ravyn’s lips before she turned around to welcome her little sister. “I missed you!” Sophia threw her arms around Ravyn’s legs and nuzzled her cheek against them.

How lovely, Lara thought, her cheeks burning slightly.

“Missed you, too,” Ravyn said with a hint of reluctance. “Ravyn and her friends have to talk to Mommy about stuff, so can you wait here?”

Sophia nodded, her smile wide and infectious. “Yes!”

The two parted, and Ravyn motioned for Lara and the others to follow. Sophia waited as she was told, and the two climbed the stairs up to Emberlynn’s dining room. Ravyn drew a deep breath, then rapped her knuckle against the door.

“I don’t think this is going to go over well,” Wind whispered. “Ravyn’s too angry at everything.”

“How come?” Lara asked.

“It’s complicated,” Fire said. “The woman’s fury is justified.”

“Says you!” Wind combated. “She needs to get over it!”

“We can’t all carry the whimsy of a child like you,” Fire growled.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Do you need everything explained to you?”

“Why, you petulant—”

“Stop,” Lara whispered. “Please. I need to pay attention. Or try, at least.”

Ravyn frowned at her, and Lara shrunk under her powerful gaze.

“Come in,” a woman said from inside the room.

Ravyn turned the knob and pushed the door open. She stood to one side, ushering Lara and the others inside, then shut the door behind them. The room was just as exquisite as the others, bearing red and gold with hints of black. Four plates of food had been placed on the table, two on each side. To their left was Emberlynn.

She looked absolutely dreadful. Her skin was thin and pocked with abnormal spots and blemishes unbecoming of someone her age. Silky red and black garments clothed her in a modest fashion, and three decorated buttons clasped the collar together. Two long sticks kept her hair—of which was mostly gray, with hints of red—tied up into a bun, and her ears drooped to the sides.

Exhaustion racked her features. Deep bags hung under her heavy-lidded eyes, and the woman still managed to carry an air of aristocracy; of command and control. Her hands crossed, she propped her elbows up on the table, then motioned with a slow nod of her head.

“Please. Take a seat. I think business is best discussed during meals,” Emberlynn said. Her voice was smooth, delicate, yet somehow unnerving. It was not the tone of a gentle older woman but of a catgirl who commanded obedience. You would sit, and you would listen.

Wanting to stay out of the way, Lara rounded the table—which was exceptionally long, nearly taking up the length of the room—and took one of the seats on the opposite end. Ravyn took the seat directly across from her while Tristan whispered something into Destiny’s ear before taking the chair beside Ravyn. Lara smiled as Destiny rounded the table next, and once all four of them were seated, Emberlynn spoke once more.

“I hope the meals are to your satisfaction.” She retrieved a simple teacup of steaming liquid, then sipped at its edge before setting it back down. Another catgirl, whom Lara had just now noticed, stood beside Emberlynn with her hands behind her back and her eyes shut. She hadn’t said a word, but Lara imagined that she would be at Emberlynn’s beck and call at a moment’s notice. “If they are not, then do not refrain from speaking out. I will have it corrected.”

“That won’t be necessary, Mother,” Ravyn said, plucking a fork from the table. “Can we discuss what we’re here for?”

“Yes.” Her stare veered to Tristan. “I am told that the current economics of San Island are not to your liking.”

Tristan shook his head. “That’s incorrect, Lady Emberlynn. I would never be so brash as to suggest such a thing. I simply see room for improvement, and so I have come at Cailu Raloquen’s request.”

“Nice word choice,” Wind complimented.

Lara blinked. “Wow.”

Emberlynn displayed the faintest hint of a smile. “So you’re a follower, not a leader.” She exhaled through her nose.

Tristan flinched.

“Ouch,” Wind said.

“What an incredible woman,” Fire chuckled.

“Fine. Sakura?” Emberlynn said. The servant batted her eyes open and stepped closer to her master. “Leave us.”

“Yes, Lady Emberlynn.” Sakura offered a curt nod, then strode across the room, disappearing into another room.

When the door shut, Emberlynn continued. “Very well. Let’s take the gloves off and speak with honesty. If you would claim to do this better, then you’d best know what task you’re taking on.”

Tristan’s back straightened, and he rested both hands clasped on the table. “Please. Enlighten me.”

For the first time that day, Wind and Fire waited alongside Lara in perfect silence.

8YWV5s2.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback, and Audible! Volume Two is available on eBook and Paperback. Volume Three is out now on eBook! 

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Yomi’s Tier: DiscountDan, SkySom

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Carmine, Ed, Flaming Moose, Alex bagster-collins, William Martin

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Lazarus G, LT_Ashpole, GreatFireLegend

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Skade, Rosalee, SharktoothJack, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Zane Flannery, Blaze, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Zak Stromquist, Spencer decoteau, Jacob Moore, Alex H Cowley, Zeklor

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

2