A Brief Moment
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Each of them gave one another a weary glance, lacking words to express what they truly felt. In that instance, silence overwhelmed the room until the young man voiced his thoughts.

“Uncle Hu, I think it is best for everyone to know.” Ran Xue smiled, providing reassurance.

“If so,” the physician paused and left a deep sigh, “Xue Er does not have much time left. At most, 10 years.”

Upon hearing the news, Madam Jiang almost collapsed but fell directly into the arms of her eldest son. Her eyes reddened followed by heavy tears streaming down her cheeks.

Ran Huo gently held his mother by the shoulders, helping her sit on the chair behind them. Despite being a stern warrior he was, facing another death within his kin was too much.

The anger, the frustration he felt, weakened him - unable to proceed with his thoughts.

With a hoarse voice, the older son spoke, “...why, no- how? You said he was getting better last year and he has spent all this time recuperating.”

“I apologize, Ran Huo and Madam Jiang. Xue Er’s body could no longer sustain the energy within him as he has already been weak since birth.”

“Then, remo-” Ran Huo’s speech stopped abruptly.

A vivid flashback of their father’s death consumed him, his hands clenched out of frustration as he could not make up the right words to say at that moment.

Ran Xue, the man whose life was cut short, gave another sweet smile.

While the others got carried away in their train of thoughts, he reflected upon his uneventful life with the help of the silence that slowly began creeping in the room.

Everyone was clearly still in a heavy state of aghast from hearing the news.

“I want to go out,” he muttered softly, “I want to see the world and experience everything myself.”

“What are you saying, Ah Xue? You are in no shape to go out, let alone wanting to go on a journey to see the world by yourself. It’s almost impossible.” said the older one in disbelief. 

Ran Xue stood up, nearly losing his balance, and walked towards his mother who was still in tears. He kneeled in front of her.

“Niang…”

To be continued.

[Thanks for reading! The song I listened to while writing: 「Waiting for Rain」美波 (Minami)]

0