Chapter 58 – What The Eyes Don’t See(8)
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you okay?”

 

Sirius was looking at Mehr, who was sitting by the pond absentmindedly. It was evening and the moon was already upon them. Some of the students could still be heard near the dormitory, with their excited chatter of newly learned magic and Sirius felt even more flustered at that. He wanted to ask everyone to shut up but he didn’t want to leave Mehr’s side.

 

“I told you already. It’s not such a big deal. I’m still the strongest.” Mehr replied while flicking Sirius’s forehead.

 

“That’s debatable,” Sirius said with a sombre smile. He knew Mehr was trying to put up a front. Mehr had lied about his injuries a lot, unsuccessfully every time. Today’s injury wasn’t external and visible to the eyes but Sirius still knew. 

 

“Oh, how sad.” A sarcastic voice entered their ears. Sirius and Mehr both turned around to see a boy with golden blonde hair and deep blue eyes approaching them. He was wearing the standard uniform of the Academy but the thing that stood out was the badge hung on the lapel of his coat. The badge had an engraving of open feathery wings and it was proof that the boy had won the third trial. 

 

“Daniel Goodstay,” Sirius said the boy’s name while narrowing his eyes. 

 

“Son of a cripple, and a filthy commoner. What a splendid pair!” Daniel clapped exaggeratedly and his voice travelled to the dormitory as well. Some of the nearby students looked towards the garden to see what was happening while some went away to call their friends for probable entertainment.

 

“What do you want?” Sirius’ mood soured instantly at Daniel’s words. His expression showed how angry he was at the moment.

 

“Nothing. I just came here to get some fresh air. Is that a problem for the high and mighty Heir of Frye?” 

 

Sirius shook his head and turned around. He felt it was better to just ignore the ramblings than to engage in a conversation with him. Mehr, on the other hand, was looking calmly at Daniel. His familiar annoyed expression had left his face and only serene calmness remained. 

 

The students had gathered near the garden already. It was a garden they wouldn't usually go to. Everyone knew that this garden was frequented by High Nobles of the first year and two dreadful monsters. While everyone wanted to get in the eyes of the High Nobles, no one wanted to attract the attention of Mehr and Adhara.

 

“I had been hearing things about this filth here. Everyone has been talking about how powerful and terrifying he is and here he is crying in the corner. Should I bring you a handkerchief to wipe your tears with?” Daniel chided again. He was looking at Mehr with a smirk on his face. He wanted to get some reaction out of the two of them. Well, his main target was Sirius but everyone knew that Sirius and Mehr were best friends. And if he could get Sirius to move because of his remarks about Mehr, he would’ve won.

 

“That would be wonderful.” Mehr smiled but his eyes remained as cold as ice, “I should thank you for thinking about me. While you’re getting the handkerchief, could you also bring some fruits and berries? I’ve started to feel a little hungry now.”

 

“Shut up, commoner!” It wasn’t Daniel who replied to Mehr. It was another person who came out of the crowd around the garden. He walked up to Daniel and bowed greatly.

 

“My Lord. Marcus of the House Gauras greets you.” Even while bowing, Marcus’ eyes were fixated on Mehr. He still remembered the humiliation he had felt in the third trial, and this was the perfect chance to get his revenge. He had the young lord of House Goodstay that his family served and if he played his cards right, not only would he get revenge on the accursed commoner but also get in the eyes of Daniel.

 

Daniel just looked back at Marcus and without a single word, turned his eyes back to Mehr and Sirius. He was quite amused at Mehr’s response. Mehr’s calmness and the witty response were out of his expectations but he didn’t fluster. 

 

“Quite a big mouth for someone who can’t even use elements.” Daniel remarked and looked at Sirius, “Is everything in your life defective? A father who can’t use mana and a friend who can’t use elements.”

 

Marcus also stepped forward to jump at the opportunity. He cocked his head to the left and flailed his hands around exaggeratedly as words left his mouth, “Also, didn’t his mother have an affair with His Majesty, King Acacia. Who knows what all happened ....”

 

Silence. Absolute silence spread out amongst the crowd who had been talking amongst themselves thus far.

 

Chill.

 

Everyone present at the scene shivered. The students took steps back out of fear. Even listening to such words could get them in trouble, and this was Maria Frye he was talking about. It was at this point that Nora, Hope and Fynn also arrived at the scene. They had heard the words that Marcus had said and cursed in their hearts. Many in the Noble circles had heard of such rumours but talking about them was a taboo, and this taboo was broken right in front of the Heir of Frye.

 

Sirius and Mehr, who had been sitting until now, stood up. Sirius was looking down at the ground while Mehr was looking at Marcus. Marcus, who belatedly realised what he had done, stood behind Daniel in the fear of retaliation.

 

Sirius started walking towards Daniel and Marcus while still looking down. His fists were clenched tightly. He slowly opened his right fist and his hand moved towards his left waist. His left hand went to the sheath and he pushed the sword out with his thumb. He unsheathed the sword in a smooth motion as he walked towards the one who had said such foul words about his mother.

 

“Sirius, no!” Nora rushed out of the crowd followed by the Woodrow twins. They stood in between Sirius and Marcus, who was still standing behind Daniel.

 

“Yeah, do you think you can hurt me right in front of my lord? Just because you’re a Frye doesn’t mean you can step over the Great House Goodstay.” Marcus screamed from behind.

 

‘Fool.’ That was Daniel’s impression of Marcus but he acknowledged that Marcus had successfully roped in Daniel together with him. Even though he wanted to walk away from this situation, he knew he couldn’t anymore. It was the name of his House on the line and Marcus had gained a shield. Now he had to think about how to get out of this situation. He intended to make Sirius attack him with imperceptibly rebuking comments, that wouldn't be a big deal, but what Marcus had said was too far. He had dragged the name of Lady Maria of House Frye and His Majesty to the ground, and Daniel was now forced into this situation because of that fool. He wasn’t afraid of fighting against Sirius, but fighting meant expulsion from the Academy. It was not something desirable.

 

“You should stop your friend,” Daniel said to Mehr. Mehr didn’t reply and just kept on watching without showing any expression on his face.

 

“Sirius, you will be expelled!” Fynn said while standing beside Nora and Hope also joined in soon. And yet, Sirius didn’t stop.

 

Sirius kept walking with his sword in his hand. The red dragon on the hilt seemed to be dancing with every step Sirius took. Sirius flicked his head to look right into Marcus’ eyes. The veins on his forehead and neck were threatening to pop out of his skin and his eyes looked as red as the fiery sun. With each step he took, his expression distorted even more. He had never been this angry in his life and he didn’t know how to contain it. He needed to take it out on the person whose repulsive words started the fire in his heart. At this moment, he looked at nothing and no one but Marcus Gauras.

 

“Move.” Sirius winded his body for a horizontal slash with his sword. As soon as his word finished, an inhumane amount of mana rushed towards him. None had ever seen him fight and none dared to presume his strength. 

 

Fynn grabbed Nora and Hope and jumped out of the way. He had thought of stopping the slash with his Heavens’ Gift and a barrier but ultimately decided against it. The catalyst for the decision was Mehr, who was still standing behind Sirius. He had shaken his head at Fynn as if he understood his thought process.

 

Mana roared as if beckoning every ounce of strength it could summon. Daniel was truly out of options at this point. He had to stop the attack and he would need his full strength to do so. His coat dissolved into a gooey liquid and took the shape of wings behind him. The wings changed into a thin blanket that covered Marcus and himself and he went on to create a mana barrier as well.

 

Chirrrrrrrrrr.

 

An uncomfortable sound greeted everyone’s ears as soon as Sirius swung his sword. The air was ripped apart from the sheer force of the swing and the coalesced mana was dancing on the blade. Everyone was watching the scene with bated breaths. They belatedly realised that they should have called the professors, but the fear of missing an entertaining show bound them. Hindsight was always far more clear, after all. 

 

“Sirius.” 

 

The sword stopped instantly as soon as Mehr called Sirius. The dispersed air rushed to fill the empty area and the mana wrapping around the sword, which had become solid, started to disintegrate slowly.

 

“What do we do to the opponents out of our reach?” Mehr asked Sirius.

 

Sirius clenched his teeth, his eyes still red, and sheathed his sword back. He turned back and walked up to Mehr. Mehr raised his hand and ruffled Sirius’ hair while looking into his eyes.

 

“Will you-” Sirius couldn’t finish his sentence before Mehr spoke up.

 

“I will.”

 

It was a lesson that Mehr had taught Sirius, and Sirius was reminded of it again today. Not everything could be solved with strength. He knew that he would be expelled for what he was going to do but that didn’t matter. However, now that Mehr had said he will, then Sirius just needed to wait.

 

Clap clap.

 

“The show is over. Everyone get back to your rooms.” Mehr said to everyone present in the vicinity, “I would recommend that everyone should go to sleep early tonight. Otherwise, this night might be very long for some of you.”

 

The crowd dispersed almost immediately. They were still reeling with the events of today but no one knew that this night would greet them with a scene so vile that they would not be able to sleep for many upcoming days.

 


 

 

Hi everyone,

I'm an amateur writer and this work of mine already has a small following on RR. So, I decided to gain some new eyes on ScribbleHub. I hope I'm able to entertain you with my limited writing skills.

I will be posting two chapters a day until chapter 60. Don't forget to like it so that you don't miss the latest chapters.

You can also support me on Patreon and read advanced chapters before everyone else. Special thanks to my Patrons - 

Jake Thomas,   Jason Bryant,   I Dewa Bagus,   mino,  Nick Wild, Generic Kane, Gumagumis

John O'Connor,  Taylor Bouchard, Derp, Alex

RedFist,  Victor Omowonuola

2