Across Ages
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It happened one day at dusk.

 

I woke up to the sounds of the pouring rain. It has been years since I heard it again and it has been a very long time since such an occasion reminded me of a past I wished to erase but couldn’t. I sighed on such remembrance and sat up on my makeshift hay bed. I looked through the dimming sky and it reminded me of the days I was being hunted by my own kind. I felt my blood pressure rising when I remembered those memories in which I grasped my chest and breathed in a relaxing manner to stop it. I really wished to erase it but it also held someone I really hope to meet again.

 

I sighed again and stood up. Then I walked towards the entrance to look at the puddle in front of my makeshift home. Even though parts of the rain poured into the puddle, my reflection is still clear on it. What the reflection was showing was a young girl with a small body that she might have mistaken as a child. Yes, my body was small and it stayed like that when my parents died in front of me. On top of my forehead were small horns, growing from the skin of my forehead. My ears were also normal as they were longer than the usual humans. Looking at my eyes, they were reflecting the eyes of a cat. Not to mention they are mismatched in color. The right one is colored in yellow and the other is blue. I am not clearly human and it’s a hassle travelling this war torn country. I always have to use a hood to cover my head to travel without any troubles. Most people would see me as a demon but I don’t care as long as they leave me alone.

 

I also don’t care about my appearance but it still bothers me that I have a small body. I really hate being called a child. With that thought, I touched my chest and checked it. Luckily, it was bigger compared to the other girls at my body size. I thanked the gods that created me as I still have grown some fat on my chest. I then looked at my eyes and that made me remember someone in the past. Before meeting that person, I hated these eyes of mine but after meeting him, I grew to love them.

 

I stopped reminiscing about the past after hearing the rain becoming stronger. Then I looked up to the sky as I drew my right hand to the rain, trying to feel the sensation of it. It was cold but living alone was colder. I wonder what happened to the people of my race. I’m sure that there are still some out there but every year that passes makes me lose hope. It can’t be helped. After all, we were hunted by other kinds, including humans, in the past. It was said that it made those monsters more powerful as they ate our flesh. I still don’t know but I hope that some of my race are still living amongst the humans. After all, he annihilated all of those demons.

 

Hearing a growl in my stomach, I decided to hunt for food. Dusk for me is dawn for most humans because I am a nocturnal being. Fitting for somebody whose body looks like a demon but unlike those demons that crave for human flesh or my own race, I only eat animal meat and sometimes plants. Well, I just have to be careful not to be seen by humans since they always misunderstand a lot. There were a lot of times already that I was hunted down and attacked by humans. I am not weak though and I always repelled them. I then take their belongings as payment for their transgression. I always asked them why they are hunting me down and they always answered that there were rumors that there was a man-eating demon in these lands and with my body that has some inhumane characteristics, it can’t be helped but be rumored as one. It is always a chore to convince them to leave me alone as I am not what was rumored and I explain to them that I only eat animals for meat. Usually they don’t come back but there are some… eccentrics that come back to train their skills with their blades. Having a lot of free time, I entertained them until they’re satisfied. Almost all of them never return, maybe because of some wars they’re doing but I don’t really care about human quarrels.

 

I went out of my makeshift home and into the nearby woods. Before going out, I took my hunting clothes and wore them. This will help me hide my presence from the beasts that lurk in the woods. Under the cover of the rainy sky of the night, I hunted for some boars that lived in the woods. 

 

Before going out, I took out my hunting clothes and now I am wearing them. I put a hood on my head to help me hide from my prey. I don’t know how these clothes work but it does help me on my hunts. I walked in the woods for sometime until I detected something. I went near where I detected it and saw two boars sleeping under a tree. The two were sticking to each other's body, maybe to warm each others’ body in the cold wind of the night. It reminded me of the past and that made me feel pity for them but right now, I need to find food as I am hungry.

 

I triggered something in my body and that turned my right fingers into iron-like claws. This is how I hunt for food. I slowly crawled towards them like I usually do but the moment I tried to pierce both of the boars, a sudden flash of lightning illuminated the area and I was forced to back off. The boars suddenly reacted to my killing sense and ran away. I guess, there goes my dinner.

 

However it’s not because of the lightning that I backed off, it’s because of a warrior in front of me brandishing a katana. He tried to cut me down when I was too focused on hunting the boars earlier. Good thing that I sensed his killing sense which allowed me to dodge his attack and avoid being cut..

 

“Are you the one who is called the ‘Evil Fang of Goten-yama no hana-zakari’?”

 

The human warrior, who prepared his body ready to attack me at any moment, asked me in a high tone which made me hear the sound of the rain less noisy for the moment. The wind then began to grow stronger and it made the hood I’m wearing blown off from my head. Because I can see much better in the dark with these eyes of mine, I can tell that he was shocked at my appearance. Well, it’s not surprising as I am not a human after all.

 

“So, what if I am? What are you going to do?”

 

I asked him while brandishing my transformed right hand. I did that to try and scare the warrior but I should have explained myself. I sighed on my stupidity but this was a bad habit of mine especially when facing warriors. Looking at his face… somehow…

 

…?!.... Y-you are…

 

Something made me falter but I resist the urge as I am currently facing this warrior.

 

“I am here to challenge the ‘Evil Fang of Goten-yama no hana-zakari’!”

 

I was deep in my thoughts when he suddenly shouted. That action and declaration surprised me as nobody declared a challenge when they saw my current demonic form and most warriors would either flee or recklessly attack me in fear without trying to create a conversation or even try to stop and listen to my explanations. Everyone before would look at my current form as a being that should be destroyed at first sight but this warrior… they’re so similar.

 

“I see. So my name lured you here but… why should I entertain the likes of you? After all, you attacked me when my guard was at its lowest. In the first place, do you even have any honor?”

 

I smiled as I asked him. This is the first time a warrior declared their intentions but if he intended to challenge me, he should not have attacked me first.

 

“I’m sorry. I fully intend to declare my challenge first but the first time I saw you, I couldn’t help but make the first move to try and taste you and it made my body move.”

 

Suddenly, I felt a twitch in my eye.

 

This… damn… pervert.

 

I felt so pissed off that I suddenly transformed my body into my true form. My body remains the same but my canine teeth grew, my fingers turned into claws, my legs turned muscular and my back grew some wings.

 

“I don’t hate your courage but you pissed me off with your words. I suppose I would kill you but I don’t want my name to be smeared by your perverted words. Fine. If you manage to defeat me, perhaps I should offer you a reward.”

 

He only smiled at me and with a happy face he said…

 

“Very well then. Don’t take back what you said.”

 

… and then he charged at me with the intention to decapacitate me. From that form, he is not trying to kill me but to disable me, huh. So he really just wants to challenge me. Very well, I’ll play your game.

 

I prepared for his charge and when I was in his range, I dodged by moving my body from the left and attacked him using my claws. I thrust my claws towards him, targeting non-vital areas but I was surprised when he parried it and counter attacked me by thrusting his sword towards my abdomen. 

 

“... I hate to admit it but you’re good, human.” I said as I created a distance between us.

“And you’re good as what the rumors say, demon.” He complimented me back. He is really similar... 

“... Well, shall we continue?” I brandish my claws once more.

“Of course, my lady. A gentleman would never say no when he got an invitation from a lady.” he said as he prepared to attack me.

“How a gentleman are you.” This time, I charged at him and we continued our exchanges of attacks once again with some rests between exchanges. This feeling of excitement and thrill of a battle… I missed this. I want this to continue forever but I know it will come to an end.

 

“Urghh!” He managed to connect a strike when I got off balance after an attack and I fell down on the ground. He stood in front of me and pointed out his sword near my neck. A sign of a victor to his opponent.

“... ha, ha…” Even though the rain poured hard, I can hear his exhausted breathing while I am still full of composure. I guess humans have limited stamina after all. Above all, I defeated the previous warriors who came to me by stretching out our battles but this warrior defeated me before he got fully exhausted.

“...ha… ha…. Are we… done now?” he asked him. He didn’t intend on killing me like the others so this is my loss then.

“Yeah, this is my loss.” I said as I stood up. 

 

Normally, people would get a shocked face while looking at me standing up easily like that as if I didn’t do anything that will exhaust a normal human. Demons of my race are known to have unlimited stamina after all but the warrior in front of me didn’t show any shock nor fear. He lowered his weapon and smiled at me.

 

“Haha! I supposed I am the winner then.” He shouted louder than what the noise of the rain was making while holding up his weapon. I smiled at that form of his which reminded me o---. Suddenly, he fell down. From the looks of it, he fell down due to exhaustion and if he’s unconscious and remains in this place, he will die because of the cold. It can’t be helped then. I transformed back to my human form and carried his unconscious body towards my hut.

 

When I arrived at my hut while carrying his body, I put his body on the haybed. Then I took off his clothes as it was so wet and it will be bad if he wears them. I hung his clothes to dry them. Looking at him, he’s quite big but I know that a human body won’t last in this weather, not to mention he’s naked right now. I sighed, changed my wet clothes to drier ones and then laid near him. It has been a long time since I laid together with a man but it wasn’t such a bad experience. I stayed like that for several hours with only thoughts of the past entertaining me. It was not until morning came that he woke up.

 

“My, you’re awake already?” I said as he groggily woke up.

“... I’m sorry, my lady. It seems that exhaustion struck me when I was almost victorious.” he said dejectedly.

“It can’t be helped as you are human but a win is a win.”

“What do you mean, my lady? If it was a real battle then I would have died with your claws.”

“And it was not a real battle, warrior. You issued a challenge and you won the challenge. By that logic, you won.”

“.... hahaha. I see. Very well then.”

“Kyaah!” He suddenly pulled me down.

“I am taking my reward.” He unveiled my clothes and then kissed me. That morning was longer than the mornings in my whole life and the bastard took my first time too.

 

“Gh! Nggh!”

“Hnnnh! Don’t be so rough! Nhhaah!”

“Aughh… Forgive me… Ohh.. Offf.. You’re my first woman, so I have no idea when to stop.” We made it all the way. This guy… seriously, exhausted himself in battle but he’s peerless when it comes to this!

“You are really beautiful, my lady. I only come here to test my skills against a demon but I’ve taken a liking to you. What do you say? Will you be my wife?” he said while putting his right thumb to my mouth. I felt so embarrassed that I gently kicked his face but it looked painful though.

 

“Don’t get carried away! One victory, one reward!” I shouted embarrassingly.

“Mbfh!… is that… a no?” he said dejectedly.

“I… I never said that….” saying that, a spark of light appeared in his eyes.

“Then if you agree, I can support you! Even if you want to eat human flesh…!”

“I absolutely do not!” I said angrily. After all, I haven't eaten human flesh for centuries now.

“I’ve only taken the possessions of those idiots who came to challenge me like you did and set them back home when I defeated them!”

“I-is that so?” He said.

“Yes. Besides, how could a brat like you support me?”

“In this chaotic world, there’s a demand for warriors everywhere! I’ll rise to the top and show you my true worth!”

“Are you telling me to go live among humans? It’s true that after centuries of living in the mountains, I am somewhat tired of this lifestyle, but... “ I stood up and showed him my behind which was still full of his fluids.

“... I expect you to keep me entertained.”

“Yes! That is indeed good to hear. Now that our betrothal has been decided…”

“... Hmmm?” I tilted my head when suddenly, he grabbed me and attacked my behind!

“This calls for more love-making!”

“Nnohh!” That attack surprised me but I didn’t try to fight.

“AhMmgah! The future looks bright, for you at least. Yaahaah!”

 

Years have passed and I lived together with him in his old village. At first, I was able to blend in with the locals as I kept on hiding my horns and ears with my hood but it was until a bandit raid appeared and Renge was not in the village at that time. I forgot to mention about this but Renge was his name and he formally introduced himself after… our first time.

 

Anyway, I defended the village while showing my true appearance and easily annihilated the bandits. At first, they were afraid of me and I left the village for some time and lived nearby. It stayed that way until I saved the chief’s daughter who got lost in the area I was living in. She was about to be kidnapped by the bandits but I saved her in time. Although afraid, the little girl slowly opened herself to me and thanks to her, I gained the trust of the villagers. The little girl also became my disciple on sword arts and some other subjects. Some time passed and I was also able to join the hunting party. Well, they were surprised and afraid when I turned into my demon self as I hunted but now I think all of them have gotten used to my form. Maybe I should keep to myself that all of them also wetted their under garments when they first saw my demon self. When Renge came after that incident, I couldn’t read his emotions at that time. It was a funny experience.

 

Nothing really interesting happened when I was in the village though… Well, almost nothing interesting. Renge joined most of the war that this country waged with itself. Along the way, he gathered prestige that he was given land from the emperor of the country.  Everyday, Renge assaulted me whenever he felt like it when he’s at home. So much in fact that some of our neighbors were complaining about it. Well, when you’re being assaulted, albeit with your consent, and it makes a lot of noise, people will surely complain. But, we did it everyday and for years, that I was able to give birth to 13 children of his. It was always hectic everytime a child was born. I still hate it that my body still won’t grow but I guess my demon self does look mature enough even though it is really not human looking. I wished days like these would continue forever, like how I lived in that mountain before coming here but everything has to end.

 

Right now, Renge’s head is on top of my lap. We’ve done this a lot of times but this time is quite different. He is now old with gray hair and wrinkles on his face. His muscular body is now thinned and the energy he always exerted is now gone and from the looks of it, tonight is the night he will move to the other side. That’s why I am here, watching him go, just like in the old times.

 

“...”

“Hm? What’s wrong? Are you thirsty?” Suddenly he called my name.

“Back when we first met. That story about testing my skill was just an excuse. The moment I heard that the dreaded demon was called Goten-yama no hana-zakari… I was captivated, overwhelmed with a longing to meet you.” He said as I listened to it.

“Ours is an odd story, isn’t it? Tsubaki?”

“Hmph! Not in the slightest.” I then put my hands on the back of his head and looked him in the eyes.

“Did you enjoy your time in this world…” I paused for a bit then finally…

“■■■?” … I said his name from another time.

 

In a far away time, in another time, I was weak. I can fight them back but their sheer number and quality is enough to fight my people. That’s why most of my people are hiding in pockets but these demons have the ability to track us down. It was until one man, him, appeared in front of me. I was in my demon self because I was chased by those demons who wanted my immortality. I tried to attack him but I fell down before I could strike him down. I was expecting my life would end there but when I woke up, he took care of me.

 

“... Why?” That was my first word when I woke up.

“... Why are… you helping… me?” I asked him.

 

He gave me an answer that I didn’t expect and all I could reply was a “Hmph”. He promised me that he would help me hunt those demons. He kept on his promise but in the end, he died. The last time we were together was when we hunted down the last of those demons which was the reason why there are no other demons that crave for human flesh and my race in the future. We took down the last demon, which was a giant one, but before it fell, it gave him a farewell gift of death and struck him down. I ran to him and he asked me to put his head on my lap which I obliged. After a few moments of silence…

 

“■■■...” I said his name.

“... Look, Tsubaki, that’s the last of them. They wanted to devour you, steal your immortality… but they won’t threaten you anymore…” he replied in a painful voice. 

“What’s the point if I lose you?” I screamed from the bottom of my heart as I couldn’t stand it.

“True… my apologies. Besides, you’re such a bashful girl… I never got to embrace you.” It surprised me but…

“True. then next time we meet, I’ll make up some pretext and offer my body the moment I see you. How about that, ■■■?”

 

He died that night and I left that place after burning the carcasses of the demons and burying his body near that place. I ran away and found my old place where I stayed for centuries until I met him. Renge.

 

“I did.” He answered my question about whether or not he really enjoyed his time here.

“I see. That’s good to know. You kept getting me pregnant every single year, you rascal. Don’t worry though, I’ll stay with the children until the end too.” I then felt that his life was dimmingly exhausted. I guess. It’s time.

“... Still, you really don’t remember a thing, do you? I had to go to so much trouble. I wonder if you’ll remember next time. No, you’ll probably forget again. What do you think? Renge.” Then, I felt his body lose its usual energy. I didn’t cry. All I did was look at him as long as time permitted me.

 

Years have passed since Renge died. As I promised him, I stayed with the children for as long as they could but they didn’t inherit my immortality and I will have to look at them on their deathbeds. I didn’t run though since I promised him that I will stay with them until the end. The war that consumed the country invited foreigners which helped one side to win it. With the wealth I inherited from Renge and from my children, I travelled the post-war country while trying to hide my identity as a demon. Well, it seemed that there were some descendants of the village where Renge grew up who helped me hide my identity since I helped their parents or brothers back in those days. As time passed though, so did the people around me and so did the technology. That helped me go out of this country and travel around the world. I was surprised by many things and discovered that some of my tribe were living amongst the humans in far away land. It made me happy that I became a historian at some university in a prestigious country. It sucks though that my body still remains the same but it didn’t bother me. Because of that, I can attract unwanted attention but thanks to the people of my tribe, they told me the set of rules they follow when living with humans.

 

Centuries passed and I finally decided to return home. Many things have changed and it was refreshing to see. I walked around and saw the places I have been through when suddenly, somebody grabbed my shoulder. I turned around and it was a big guy. Me and a big guy made me feel this is a dangerous scenario so I screamed.

 

“W-what’s this about? Are you a kidnapper? A flirt? A cop?...” I looked at him and the more I looked at him, the more his face came around.

I faked a cough and… “There’s all sorts of things to talk about. Like the kids or how I’ve lived until now or reminiscing or how your life has been.”

I faked a cough again and said…

 

“Ahem. I mean… What’s your name?”

1