Chapter 3 – Last Day of School
491 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking through the hallway, the school was quiet. Only a few students and staff were there in the entire school.

Noah enjoyed the serenity while appreciating the greenery around the campus. The thing he liked most about his school was not the huge campus neither the facilities, well, he did like them but in his opinion, it all faded in front of flora around campus.

It was like a different world past the entrance gate. Away from the crowd and noise of the city.

Eventually, he reached his classroom and entered it. Taking a glimpse at the entire class, he could see all the members of the presentation group had arrived and were discussing among themselves essentially making him the last to arrive.

As he placed his bag, his deskmate and best friend, Shaun called out to him. Shaun was a boy of above-average height and an athletic build standing at 176 cm. He had chestnut-colored hair and fair skin. He always had that cheerful smile on his face which sometimes gets so annoying that it makes you want to punch him in the face. The fact he was somewhat handsome in features only encouraged him more to try sometimes. Noah and Shaun had been classmates and best friends from the first year of high school.

"Morning, Noah"

"Morning"

"What's with the lazy response. How late did you sleep last night?"

Giving a long yawn, Noah said.

"I went to bed at around 2, I guess. I don't really remember" 

"Which tags were you watching? Tell me about it, heh." Shaun said with a smirk.

"Why do you always think about hentai. Just because you are addicted to it, it doesn't mean I am." Noah replied with an exasperated look.

"Who are you kidding? Just the other day, you were boasting about having watched dozens last month."

"Okay, Just a bit. Not like you who gets withdrawal symptoms if you miss a single day of watching one."

Both the boys started smiling. The reason they became best friends was because of their similar interests and hobbies. They hit it off the day they talked to each other for the first time and now they prided themselves as 'fellow men of culture'.

"Why are you boys giggling like creeps over there. Come and help the group prepare."

Their conversation got interrupted abruptly by a high-pitched voice. Both the boys turned to look towards the busybody. In their line of sight was a tall girl of height 175cm. She had a slender body with developing curves. She was brown-haired and had a light complexion. She had a cute face though it was ruined by her frown as well as stern gaze with which she was looking at the two boys. Her name was Ava, appointed leader of the group as well monitor of this class.

Ava was the clichéd role model of the class. Good in sports as well as studies on top of having a cute face and good body. She was like those Madonna of school shown in anime until the day we found out about her secret. Okay fine, it was technically not a secret as anyone who spent enough time with her knew her 'hobbies'.

Yes, you guessed it. She was a full-fledged nerd showing completely different personalities in school and elsewhere. We were amazed to see this sight straight out of fiction, so obviously we had to talk to her and she instantly became one of our go-to friends to talk about all sorts of stuff.

"She really keeps up with the act, doesn't she?" Noah whispered to Shaun.

"Yeah, doesn't she get tired? It is tiring for me to watch her." Shaun replied in response.

"What are you two whispering to each other? Hurry up, there isn't much time left." Ava said in an annoyed tone.

Seeing her like this, both of them wasted no time and went straight towards the group. As they were there just to fill the numbers and had almost non-existent roles, they helped others practice and do some small tasks.

Just like that, a couple of minutes went by.

"Okay, we are done. Now all that is left is to do the real thing. Try to not slip up and relax- "

Just as Ava was done encouraging the group, a sharp bell rang throughout the school signaling the time for morning assembly.

"It's time. Let's go." Taking the lead, Ava walked towards the campus with the group following behind her.

Just after exiting the main building, there was a pavilion used for morning assemblies. There was a small stage in front from where they had to address the entire student body today.

Moving up the stage, they immediately started testing the equipment and adjusting them accordingly.

After they were done with it, they just had to wait.

As the minutes passed by, more and more students arrived and within 5 minutes, the Pavilion was filled up with the students in lines corresponding to their sections.

Without further ado, they started the assembly and it went smoothly without a hitch.

In the background, the sun was rising and the sky changed from an orange hue to vibrant blue. Clouds were rolling across the horizon.

A myriad of different sounds from vicinity mixed to form a euphony.

It was as if the world was waking up from its slumber and in the process bestowing vitality amongst its inhabitants.

Eventually, the assembly ended and students started going back to their classes. Noah and Shaun were also heading back chatting along the way.

"Hah, never really thought speaking in front of this many people would be so nerve-wracking." Shaun sighed in relief.

"Oh, is this your first time doing it? thinking about it, I had never seen you participate in such activities. Well, it is then given you would have some stage fright." Noah said in an amused manner seeing his friend so relieved.

"Well, what about you, huh? I don't recall you participating in any function in the last two years." Shaun replied embarrassedly.

"Unlike you, I had prior experience in debates, extempore, or whatever shitty thing similar to it because of my guardian. She would 'insist' I participate in such activities as it would help me 'grow as a person. Instead, I only grew to hate it more to the point I decided to stay away from it altogether in high school." Noah explained bitterly.

In this manner, they reached the classroom and seated themselves in their seats. Then their class teacher Mr. Smith entered just a minute after everyone.

"Good morning, Sir"

Everyone stood up to greet the teacher in unison and then sat down after being told to do so by Mr. Smith.

"Morning Class, today we would discuss arrays in neo python. Open your e-books to Ch-5..." the classes went on with the students listening to the teachers. Noah and Shaun were attentive during the classes only occasionally whispering and chatting. During the breaks, they went out to stroll around the campus snacking on their sandwiches bought from the canteen. They also hung out with Ava for a bit.

The day went on like this till all the periods and after-school club were over and it was time to go back home. It was already evening and the sky was darkening by the minute.

Saying bye to Shaun and his other classmates, Noah exited the school.

Hailing an autoEV, he sat down and relaxed on the seat.

Habitually, Noah started listening to music.

He sat still with his eyes closed enjoying the music when suddenly a thunderous sound came from the sky echoing through the entire area.

The EV went for an emergency brake and due to inertia, Noah hit himself in the head.

"Ouch, what happened? what was that sound?" Holding the part that was hit, Noah grimaced.

Gazing outside the window, the sight unfolding before Noah's eyes made him stunned.

This moment marked the beginning of change, Later known as 'Integration'

12