Chapter 28 – War of Beards
171 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Kingdoms on the other hand aren't so obvious in their threat but are much more deadly because of the same reason. Competition between kingdoms is downright brutal with various espionages and ploys running all year round. They are more schemes and tricks thrown around the political scene than hookers in red-light districts. Those slimy bastards."

Master Ralvol spat in disgust just recalling some of the nobles. It was obvious to everyone that he had some kind of grudge against them.

"Despite this, rarely the situation worsens to the point of an all-out war between kingdoms. They mainly try to settle their disputes through skirmishes and diplomatic measures or in extreme cases, assassination. The fact is that any kingdom can't afford to go to war so easily unless of course, the disparity in prowess between them is such that the war is declared over shortly after it starts."

People's heads were tilted at being told that all-out war is bad for the kingdom. That much seemed obvious to any person.

Ralvol guffawed seeing their innocent faces clearly not having witnessed any of the devastation wrought by Professionals.

"You all may think this much is obvious but you are seeing this from the perspective of nations who don't have much going in terms of evolved Professionals. Nations rely more on external machines and contraptions to fight their battles while here, the fight is largely spearheaded by Professionals."

Everyone got even more confused by the information. Were Siege Weapons not in use here or just not completely developed. Thankfully, Ralvol cleared their confusion soon.

"Not to say that other instruments of war aren't used, just most of them are more or less relegated to support and secondary roles instead of main ones."

This got raised eyebrows. They were unable to imagine clearly how Siege weapons could only be useful for support.

What was even worse was that he kept on teasing their curiosity while leaving only more questions. They were just getting more vexed listening to him speak.

On the flip side, Master Ralvol was clearly enjoying the spectacle as a faint grin was on his face the entire time.

"I did say most, not all, didn't I. Let's just say that some of them are in a class of their own. Closing off that tangent, the Point to note is that fights among Professionals rarely end in a short time and with the amount of destruction they are able to casually inflict on their surroundings, no kingdom wants their cities to be razed to the ground as collateral damage." Mid-speech he moved to the testing zone started and cleaning up the mess he had created during the demonstration. The group stuck close to him not wanting to miss a single word.

"Another important factor in preventing wars is that it isn't profitable. Going into is war is a definite loss each time. Your other enemies and competitors aren't just going to sit by and enjoy the show. They would surely jump at the opportunity. In the aftermath of such a war, only fractions of the original kingdoms will be left intact. Most of it would either be destroyed or even worse, assimilated by other factions and powers leaving the kingdom on the brink of collapse."

Everyone was taken aback hearing about the nature of war in this world. They probably shouldn't expect some sort of Geneva Convection if entire cities are leveled down in a war. Pun intended.

Some were even starting to fret for their lives. From the looks of it, there's little to nothing stopping a kingdom to just storm this town with an army.

Master could sense the worry in their eyes and tried to reassure them.

"You don't have to worry about it. Just as I said, it is very rare for a war to start and the political situation had been stable in this continent for decades. Even if it does happen somehow, your safety is guaranteed by me. While I may now be considered a citizen of the Kingdom of Lydia, I still possess the original citizenship of my home, the Dwarven country of Nunerum which is a neutral state."

He started reminiscing about his home and therefore failed to notice all of the apprentices widening their eyes and giving surprised looks at the mention of 'Dwarven'.

"Come to think of it, I would be honored as a distinguished master Blacksmith currently if I were in Nunerum. I should make a visit back home soon. Been gone for a decade. Regardless, no kingdom is stupid enough to attempt an attack on a citizen much less a distinguished individual of Nunerum. It would spell very bad for that particular kingdom. The entire Blacksmith association and its numerous allies will collectively shun that kingdom and refuse to offer its services to them. It is quite a gr..."

He finally noticed the looks the apprentices were giving him and stopped talking to question them.

"Why are all of you looking at me like I'm some exotic animal. Don't tell me you haven't seen a Dwarf before. Even if you lived in another Plane, Dwarfs are still seen quite frequently in human kingdoms."

He had seen the same looks when he passed by some human villages in his travel. He could understand their fascination at seeing something new and unique but these Initiates should have seen a dwarf before in a city. He could recognize at first sight that they were city dwellers from their mannerisms. They stood out very clearly as an odd bunch of city people.

What he didn't realize was that his words were hitting like metaphorical bombs to the Initiates who were fascinated by the implications of his speech. One teen finally couldn't keep in his curiosity and asked the master.

"Master Ralvol, are you really a Dwarf?"

"What, you think I look like an Orc or goblin of some sort? You insulting me kid, HUH!"

Ralvol growled thinking that the kid was mocking him. The kid clearly didn't understand his handsome looks.

The kid looked like he shat in his pants when master yelled at him.

"No, Master. In fact, You look manly and handsome. Especially with your bushy beard." The teen hurriedly tried to placate him.

He grunted in satisfaction while stroking his majestic beard. Finally, someone who could understand the inherent majesty in beards. He couldn't comprehend at all why humans always shaved their beards. It was like making yourself bald every time your hair grows a little.

Another teen curious about Dwarves chimed in.

"Is it true that Dwarves only drink ale?"

"Don't compare me to those boorish bunch of drunkards who can't even appreciate the exquisite nature of wine."

He felt that such practices in drinking were distasteful. It was much more elegant to be a connoisseur of wine and savor its mellow flavor.

People were interested to know more and therefore weren't shying away from coming forth with it.

"Can you tell about the other kingdoms?"

"The other races too, please?"

"Are there more Dwarves in this town?"

Master Ralvol was starting to get irritated by the constant barrage of questions.

"STOP! I will only take questions related to forging. This is clearly outside the subject. Go ask your instructors about that. I am not some babysitter posted here to answer every little doubt of yours."

The apprentices began whining but he wasn't fazed at all. In fact, his stare was gradually becoming wrathful so they had to begrudgingly let go as it wasn't worth it to risk his ire.

The session then went on normally for an hour or so before Ralvol finally announced its closure.

"This is enough for an introduction. Now, the important thing is for everyone to find a partner to train with. I will only be giving you general teachings. For the rest, you need to find someone who will guide you and show you the ropes around here. Technically, you all will be part-time employed under Anvil Artisans."

Ralvol looked straight at his future employees and said seriously.

"So bear this in mind, I want no employee of mine to be flimsy, part-time or not."

"Choose someone experienced in the craft. Search for a senior Blacksmith and ask to be their helper. See and learn from their craft from up close. Persevere through and shine by making your own blade. I will be expecting everyone to be able to do so in a week. I don't care if it is shabby or brittle. I need a blade presented in front of me by the end of the week. Is that clear?"

The Apprentices nodded in affirmation seriously which was very much appreciated by the master.

"Good, now move fast. You ain't got all day. Chop-Chop." Master clapped his hands gesturing them to sod off.

Everyone obviously scuttled away instantly. They eventually slowed down to a stop when nearing the main forging area to look around. They undoubtedly going to need someone to guide them here and that same someone was among all of the blacksmiths toiling near the intense heat of furnaces.

Instead of rushing headfirst like the others and asking every person one by one whether they would accept him as a helper, Noah chose to take the wait and see approach. There was something he was unsure of.

He seems to be right in his conjecture as every Blacksmith who was asked shook their heads and then pointed in the same direction. The moment he noticed that he made a dash straight in the pointed direction.

He had noticed that master Ralvol used the term Senior Blacksmith. Not simply Blacksmith which meant they were more experienced than normal ones or they had an Advanced Profession. Either way, not everyone here would be a senior Blacksmith and he didn't want to lose out on mentorship with one just because someone beat him to it.

He was ready to get the mentorship anyhow but when he looked over the forge, something strange happened.

Noah stopped in his tracks when he saw every single Blacksmith turning away from him as he was approaching the area. He was a bit confused at that but simply regarded it as some coincidence.

He resumed his walk only to see the Blacksmith he was heading towards making a hasty run after catching sight of him.

Noah realized that it wasn't some fluke. They were actively avoiding him.

He found similar reactions whenever he tried to reach out to someone. It was quite Strange. It seemed as if they were afraid of him.

Despite this, Noah kept on searching. He was almost giving up hope of finding a mentor but he eventually spotted one guy who didn't run away at first sight. Thanking his lucky stars, he started taking steps towards him but was stopped halfway by a sudden playful voice.

"Having some problem finding a mentor now, Noah?"

7